+ Reply to Thread
Page 832 of 832 FirstFirst ... 332 732 782 822 829 830 831 832
Results 20,776 to 20,791 of 20791
  1. #20776
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    2019 in a nutshell.

    https://www.fresnobee.com/news/polit...228290764.html

    Fresno Republicans to reschedule annual dinner after Nunes-Twitter beef explodes
    Several tweets called for Fresno-area residents to flood the event and ďmooĒ at Nunes Ė a reference to Nunesí decision to sue Twitter, a Republican political operative and two parody accounts including ďDevin Nunesí cowĒ for $250 million earlier in the week.

    The dinner was originally planned for April 11 at Pardiniís in northwest Fresno.

    As news of the lawsuit spread, celebrities and influencers threw tremendous weight behind the cow account, causing its Twitter follower count to rise from about 2,000 to 620,000 as of Friday afternoon.
    What a bunch of snowflakes.

  2. #20777
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    This made my day.

    https://twitter.com/daveweigel/statu...465070080?s=20

    Buttigieg is canvassing w Tina Belge, a young state senate candidate here. A group of girls just walked by and asked why cameras were following: ďOh, we thought it was a prom-posal video.Ē


  3. #20778
    Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada's basement

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    That is exceptional. The Bernie and Kamala ones had me cackling.
    Scott's Tots.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

  4. #20779

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    The tape of a private meeting was made shortly after the lawyer for an influential industry group was tapped for a high-level post at the Department of the Interior.
    Recording Reveals Oil Industry Execs Laughing at Trump Access
    Socialism is their name for anything that helps all the people. ~Harry Truman

  5. #20780

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Socialism is their name for anything that helps all the people. ~Harry Truman

  6. #20781

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    The Republicans especially donít want to get rid of the filibuster. If the Senate does flip, the Democrats would use their simple majority to pass lots of new programs, and the Republicans know itís a lot harder to get rid of programs once theyíve been established.
    Unintended consequences

    Remember hos happy libs were when Reid used the nuclear option ?

    Not smiling so much now....

    The pendulum turns. In your scenario , the change would indicate that the populous was unhappy with D control and voted for change. It's like Obama using EO's to enact his policies- it's easy to make them disappear The idea of checks and balances ( I know the filibuster isn't part of the Constitution ) was to make it hard to enact legislation
    do ya lak dags ?

  7. #20782

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Trump-Russia 2.0: Dossier-Tied Firm Pitching Journalists Daily on 'Collusion'
    By Paul Sperry, RealClearInvestigations
    March 20, 201

    You can't discount this as " well it's from x site so I don't have to pay attention to it

    Real Clear sites have credibility



    "Key Democratic operatives and private investigators who tried to derail Donald Trump’s campaign by claiming he was a tool of the Kremlin have rebooted their operation since his election with a multimillion-dollar stealth campaign to persuade major media outlets and lawmakers that the president should be impeached.
    The effort has successfully placed a series of questionable stories alleging secret back channels and meetings between Trump associates and Russian spies, while influencing related investigations and reports from Congress.

    The operation’s nerve center is a Washington-based nonprofit called The Democracy Integrity Project, or TDIP. Among other activities, it pumps out daily “research” briefings to prominent Washington journalists, as well as congressional staffers, to keep the Russia “collusion” narrative alive.


    Glenn R. Simpson, Fusion GPS co-founder now working for an anti-Trump research firm run by Daniel J. Jones, top photo.
    AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais
    Top Image: Screen grab, YouTube/Rules of War Blog
    TDIP is led by Daniel J. Jones, a former FBI investigator, Clinton administration volunteer and top staffer to California Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein. It employs the key opposition-research figures behind the salacious and unverified dossier: Fusion GPS co-founder Glenn Simpson and ex-British intelligence officer Christopher Steele. Its financial backers include the actor/director Rob Reiner and billionaire activist George Soros.

    The project’s work has been largely shrouded in mystery. But a months-long examination by RealClearInvestigations, drawn from documents and more than a dozen interviews, found that the organization is running an elaborate media-influence operation that includes driving and shaping daily coverage of the Russia collusion theory, as well as pushing stories about Trump in the national media that attempt to tie the president or his associates to the Kremlin.

    The group also feeds information to FBI and congressional investigators, and then tells reporters that authorities are investigating those leads. The tactic adds credibility to TDIP’s pitches, luring big media outlets to bite on stories. It mirrors the strategy federal authorities themselves deployed to secure FISA warrants to spy on the Trump campaign: citing published news reports of investigative details their informants had leaked to the media to bolster their wiretap requests.
    "

    "New Knowledge publicly stated it was tracking Russian social-media disinformation networks during the 2018 campaign. In fact, it was secretly involved in its own disinformation campaign to influence the outcome of the 2017 Alabama Senate special election. New Knowledge operatives created thousands of fake Russian Twitter accounts programmed to follow GOP candidate Roy Moore to make it appear he was backed by Moscow.

    The scheme worked: a number of media stories reported Moore was being supported by Russians. Only, it was a high-tech frame-up. Most elections experts have concluded this fake Russian disinformation campaign did not affect the outcome of the race, which Moore lost largely because of allegations of sexual misconduct.
    "

    https://www.realclearinvestigations....briefings.html
    do ya lak dags ?

  8. #20783

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    So, what do folks think about only 7 of new students @ Stuyvesant being black/Latin ?

    If there are going to be elite schools, how to limit entrance except merit ?

    The majority of the Asian students are not from well off families. The difference seems to be stable family structure and great importance placed on school performance

    ( Science grad here , it was the smartest group I've ever been around )
    do ya lak dags ?

  9. #20784
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi3 View Post
    So, what do folks think about only 7 of new students @ Stuyvesant being black/Latin ?

    If there are going to be elite schools, how to limit entrance except merit ?

    The majority of the Asian students are not from well off families. The difference seems to be stable family structure and great importance placed on school performance

    ( Science grad here , it was the smartest group I've ever been around )
    Obviously, something is wrong, and the problem isnít with black people. The most likely root problem is in the elementary and middle schools they are attending. The system needs a major overhaul.

    It is also a mistake to conclude that merit is the same as a single test score. There should be a more nuanced admission process.

    Finally, as AOC pointed out, there is a problem with the scarcity model. Why should there be only a few schools that are that good? Shouldnít the idea be to make all schools that good?

  10. #20785

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Obviously, something is wrong, and the problem isnít with black people. The most likely root problem is in the elementary and middle schools they are attending. The system needs a major overhaul.

    It is also a mistake to conclude that merit is the same as a single test score. There should be a more nuanced admission process.

    Finally, as AOC pointed out, there is a problem with the scarcity model. Why should there be only a few schools that are that good? Shouldnít the idea be to make all schools that good?
    Well, yes and no. There's nothing inherent in black folks preventing them from achieving. Yes, the public school system is a disaster- I taught middle school for 7 years. Most of the Asian kids who got in didn't go to schools that were specially funded or exceptional

    There are several charter schools mainly African american where the kids are performing excellently. All the studies I've read stress the importance of family stability- ie 2 parent families and making education a priority make a huge difference in school performance

    If you go to a more nuanced admission process, you very well could end up with the type of admission scandals we're seeing now in universities.

    It's not a scarcity model= it's recognizing the reality of hierarchy. In anything you're gonna quantify, you'll probably end up with results mirroring the bell curve. Of course we should strive for excellence in all schools, but there will always be a need for special education. And at the other end of the spectrum, why not recognize that some are more capable and have their own special needs and abilities that are worth fostering as well ?
    do ya lak dags ?

  11. #20786
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi3 View Post
    Well, yes and no. There's nothing inherent in black folks preventing them from achieving. Yes, the public school system is a disaster- I taught middle school for 7 years. Most of the Asian kids who got in didn't go to schools that were specially funded or exceptional

    There are several charter schools mainly African american where the kids are performing excellently. All the studies I've read stress the importance of family stability- ie 2 parent families and making education a priority make a huge difference in school performance

    If you go to a more nuanced admission process, you very well could end up with the type of admission scandals we're seeing now in universities.

    It's not a scarcity model= it's recognizing the reality of hierarchy. In anything you're gonna quantify, you'll probably end up with results mirroring the bell curve. Of course we should strive for excellence in all schools, but there will always be a need for special education. And at the other end of the spectrum, why not recognize that some are more capable and have their own special needs and abilities that are worth fostering as well ?
    Using the college admissions corruption as a boogeyman to avoid change is a terrible argument. Any system has room for abuse. This system can be abused by test coaches. The possibility of hypothetical abuse that has not occurred becaus the system does not exist isnít a problem until the system exists and thereís abuse in it.

    "Stable, 2-parent households" has become the blanket explanation that blames blacks for systemic racism. Iím pretty sure there are more than 7 "good" black families in the city. There is a problem with the admission system if it canít identify any of them. As someone whoís done a lot of testing, I would dismiss the validity of any admissions process that relies entirely on one test.

  12. #20787

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Using the college admissions corruption as a boogeyman to avoid change is a terrible argument. Any system has room for abuse. This system can be abused by test coaches. The possibility of hypothetical abuse that has not occurred becaus the system does not exist isnít a problem until the system exists and thereís abuse in it.

    "Stable, 2-parent households" has become the blanket explanation that blames blacks for systemic racism. Iím pretty sure there are more than 7 "good" black families in the city. There is a problem with the admission system if it canít identify any of them. As someone whoís done a lot of testing, I would dismiss the validity of any admissions process that relies entirely on one test.
    Do you not recognize that, regardless of race , a stable family environment is a huge plus for childhood development ? I would hope you do - you're a bright guy. Given the high incidence in the AA community, can't you see how it's a factor ?

    Of course racism still exists, though I think we'd differ on the amount that is systemic
    do ya lak dags ?

  13. #20788
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi3 View Post
    Do you not recognize that, regardless of race , a stable family environment is a huge plus for childhood development ? I would hope you do - you're a bright guy. Given the high incidence in the AA community, can't you see how it's a factor ?

    Of course racism still exists, though I think we'd differ on the amount that is systemic
    Do a little research on systemic racism. Read the Coates article I keep referencing, at the least. Itís very real.

    Perhaps youíre right about the family factors, although the studies dont meSure "stable" - they measure both birth parents in the home together,which isnít the same thing. But where I disagree wildly is in the conclusions drawn from that. Itís completely wrong to shrug and say, "Well, They have lousy families, so until They get Their act together and live up to Our moral standards, thereís nothing We can do." Why not ask the questions, "why canít different family structures succeed in American society? Why are African American households different? Why canít We change Our social structure so that itís not Us and Them (especially since, after 500 years here, They are more Us than most of Us are) and not just shrug Them away as a weaker and essentially inferior culture?" Stop using that data as a way of blaming blacks and figure out what we can change to help Americans.

  14. #20789
    Get Off My Lawn. Maynerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Obviously, something is wrong, and the problem isn’t with black people. The most likely root problem is in the elementary and middle schools they are attending. The system needs a major overhaul.
    Seriously? I just can't. You want to overhaul the 'system' but you justify the system being based on age and not academic achievement.

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3
    It is also a mistake to conclude that merit is the same as a single test score. There should be a more nuanced admission process.
    Yes, yes, and yes. A standardized test score gives you a comparative statistic, because a GPA from one school district doesn't necessary equate to the GPA from another. There should be MANY variables in the acceptance equation. Test scores should be one of them, but likely not the most heavily weighted.

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3
    Finally, as AOC pointed out, there is a problem with the scarcity model. Why should there be only a few schools that are that good? Shouldn’t the idea be to make all schools that good?
    Absolutely. I'm not a huge fan of the teachers' unions, but they get a bad rap regarding educational standards. They're generally in favor, provided they're not based on a single test. Just as we shouldn't make a value judgment of a student based on his SAT score, we shouldn't judge a school (or a teacher) based on a single battery of tests.

    But there should absolutely be educational standards, reflecting the performance of both the individual student and the school. And there should be implications for students and for schools that do not meet those standards.

    "But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

  15. #20790

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Do a little research on systemic racism. Read the Coates article I keep referencing, at the least. Itís very real.

    Perhaps youíre right about the family factors, although the studies dont meSure "stable" - they measure both birth parents in the home together,which isnít the same thing. But where I disagree wildly is in the conclusions drawn from that. Itís completely wrong to shrug and say, "Well, They have lousy families, so until They get Their act together and live up to Our moral standards, thereís nothing We can do." Why not ask the questions, "why canít different family structures succeed in American society? Why are African American households different? Why canít We change Our social structure so that itís not Us and Them (especially since, after 500 years here, They are more Us than most of Us are) and not just shrug Them away as a weaker and essentially inferior culture?" Stop using that data as a way of blaming blacks and figure out what we can change to help Americans.
    I actually agree with a lot of what you say

    but, what can the govt do to actually change the staus quo

    And, data is data. For example, young black males commit crimes at a rate way out of line with their percent of the population. You can factor in societal/systemic issues/causes. but it would be a mistake to completely deny personal responsibility
    do ya lak dags ?

  16. #20791
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi3 View Post
    I actually agree with a lot of what you say

    but, what can the govt do to actually change the staus quo

    And, data is data. For example, young black males commit crimes at a rate way out of line with their percent of the population. You can factor in societal/systemic issues/causes. but it would be a mistake to completely deny personal responsibility
    Itís a mistake to completely deny personal responsibility, which is a point Iíve always been extremely clear about while I rant about systemic racism. It is equally a mistake to d ny societal responsibility for the conditions.

    Whatís to be done! Iím not sure. Asking the right questions rather than shrugging and invoking personal responsibility would be a good start.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts