+ Reply to Thread
Page 822 of 869 FirstFirst ... 322 722 772 812 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 832 ... LastLast
Results 20,526 to 20,550 of 21702
    NYYF Legend

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jburke View Post
    Well they are the ones always telling us we're doomed, so it was suprising when the actually told the truth right before retracting it.
    They have actually been quite good at correcting bad data when discovered over the years whether it supported or was against global warming. I believe one error they found significantly reduced future projections in one particular model but it was like 14 years ago give or take so I'm not sure I can find which one it was.

They aren't really trying to "push a political agenda" rather they are trying to get out "scientific consensus" to help prepare for probable scenarios.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    They have actually been quite good at correcting bad data when discovered over the years whether it supported or was against global warming. I believe one error they found significantly reduced future projections in one particular model but it was like 14 years ago give or take so I'm not sure I can find which one it was.

They aren't really trying to "push a political agenda" rather they are trying to get out "scientific consensus" to help prepare for probable scenarios.
    Guess it depends on the definition of "good"
    https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/10/...e-predictions/

Bottom line--We do not know that the warming since the end of the Little Ice Age is caused by humans or is simply a natural warming cycle. The epic failure of all of the CO2 warming models seems to indicate the latter.

Im going to step away for a bit-dont want to be accused of hiding. Good talking to you guys.
    Fully operational Death Star

Guess it depends on the definition of "good"
    https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/10/...e-predictions/

Bottom line--We do not know that the warming since the end of the Little Ice Age is caused by humans or is simply a natural warming cycle. The epic failure of all of the CO2 warming models seems to indicate the latter.

Im going to step away for a bit-dont want to be accused of hiding. Good talking to you guys.
    That is unequivocally false.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    If you were into junk science, climate skeptic think tanks, and big government conspiracy theories would you still believe that? Both sides, Bub, both sides.
    Take car. Go to Mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

I think some might answer yes to all of those questions.
    In their defense, it would be a wonderful state of affairs. My question has always been "how?"

Universal healthcare = taxpayer-funded healthcare. Where does the money come from? This a noble outcome, but the high cost of care isn't going away. If we shift the burden to the taxpayer, where does the money come from?

Livable wage for all = either taxpayer-funded or employer-funded payments, in excess of an employee's contributions. Where does the money come from, particularly after the low-wage employees get laid off, rather than receive overpayments? What about the effects of inflation. raise everybody to $15, and what do you suppose will happen to prices? Suddenly, $15 won't do it anymore, and we'll want to give everyone $20.

Higher taxes on the wealthy = higher taxes for everyone (this is one place 'trickle down' works with certainty). I'm not opposed, but this is a subterfuge. Tax the wealthy at 99% and there's STILL not enough money to pay for all this. But, it sounds so palatable. MY taxes won't go up, only those greedy rich people. These suggestions will ALL involve higher taxes....MUCH higher taxes, for everyone.

Government-funded college = Taxpayer-funded college. Why even have colleges and universities? Why not expand HS to include grades 13-17? No need for dorms. No need for college professors more interested in grants and publication than actually teaching. College has become so expensive because our government made it more accessible to everyone. They did a wonderful job of it, don't you think?

Equity in education? Not even sure what this means, but it's probably expensive. Identical curriculum for all schools? Funneling money from affluent communities to more distressed communities? Outcome-based equality or funding equality? How do you get there?

Strong climate agenda = increased taxpayer investment. Maybe worthwhile, but where does the money come from? And, what's the actual agenda we're looking for? Additional research? Great, but let's avoid another Solyndra. Green New Deal, where we give up our cars and stop flying? Absurd.

End to mass incarceration? Yes, please. Do this today. We have entirely too many people locked up who are NOT a threat to society. And this is one suggestion that would actually cost LESS, instead of more.

Protection of voter rights? I'm on the fence here. I believe deeply in voter rights, but I don't have first-hand experience with problems, so I'm not understanding additional need to 'protect' that right. Voters need to be citizens. Some proof of that citizenship is not a violation of one's rights. So, I have no issues with requiring registration and an ID. For that matter, I heartily applaud voting by mail, as we have implemented out here in Colorado. Eliminates the Election Day line-at-the-poll issue.

Sensible gun control? Yes, please, but let's define what this means. I have no issues with registration, background checks, and waiting periods. If that's 'control,' do it today. If 'control' means taking weapons away form law-abiding citizens just to make it more difficult for the criminal to acquire a weapon, then you need to do something about the Second Amendment first (and, please be assured that I would very much like to remove and replace the Second Amendment with something more appropriate to the 21st Century).

Our Congress needs to be held accountable for its ideas. Anything they suggest that will be funded by the taxpayer needs to include the cost, and where that cost will come from. Any suggestion of lowering taxes needs to come with a corresponding reduction in spending.

'Tax the rich,' and 'cut defense spending' won't pay these bills.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    In their defense, it would be a wonderful state of affairs. My question has always been "how?"

Universal healthcare = taxpayer-funded healthcare. Where does the money come from? This a noble outcome, but the high cost of care isn't going away. If we shift the burden to the taxpayer, where does the money come from?
    ^we already pay twice what most industrialized countries pay and largely for poorer health outcomes AND non covered individuals.

The money is there. Simple shift current cost of premiums to taxes, remove the middle man profit in the form of insurance company profits get rid of pharmacutical marketing (estimated at 3B direct annual and 23B indirect through), and negotiate as a single entity with immense leverage.

Livable wage for all = either taxpayer-funded or employer-funded payments, in excess of an employee's contributions. Where does the money come from, particularly after the low-wage employees get laid off, rather than receive overpayments? What about the effects of inflation. raise everybody to $15, and what do you suppose will happen to prices? Suddenly, $15 won't do it anymore, and we'll want to give everyone $20.

Productivity gains have far out stripped wage growth. A more equitable distribution of cash between labor and owners would go a long way toward solving it. Perhaps an excise tax on executive compensation exceeding some multiple of media wages for the employer?

Higher taxes on the wealthy = higher taxes for everyone (this is one place 'trickle down' works with certainty). I'm not opposed, but this is a subterfuge. Tax the wealthy at 99% and there's STILL not enough money to pay for all this. But, it sounds so palatable. MY taxes won't go up, only those greedy rich people. These suggestions will ALL involve higher taxes....MUCH higher taxes, for everyone.
    Yes everyones taxes would increase. But under a progressive tax system the wealthy or rich would pay a higher marginal rate.

Government-funded college = Taxpayer-funded college. Why even have colleges and universities? Why not expand HS to include grades 13-17? No need for dorms. No need for college professors more interested in grants and publication than actually teaching. College has become so expensive because our government made it more accessible to everyone. They did a wonderful job of it, don't you think?

I disagree with your premise on this. But the gain in in productivity from "free" or "low cost" higher education would in fact pay for themselves, unlike massive tax cut hoaxes.

Equity in education? Not even sure what this means, but it's probably expensive. Identical curriculum for all schools? Funneling money from affluent communities to more distressed communities? Outcome-based equality or funding equality? How do you get there?
    Yes equaling out the money to give everyone a "fair" shot at success is exactly what would be required.

Strong climate agenda = increased taxpayer investment. Maybe worthwhile, but where does the money come from? And, what's the actual agenda we're looking for? Additional research? Great, but let's avoid another Solyndra. Green New Deal, where we give up our cars and stop flying? Absurd.

The cost of the failed Solyndra deal was what $535M? That's like rounding error for the Pentagon. Sure there will be failures along the way but investment in green energy is the wave of the future.

End to mass incarceration? Yes, please. Do this today. We have entirely too many people locked up who are NOT a threat to society. And this is one suggestion that would actually cost LESS, instead of more.
    We are in agreement

Protection of voter rights? I'm on the fence here. I believe deeply in voter rights, but I don't have first-hand experience with problems, so I'm not understanding additional need to 'protect' that right. Voters need to be citizens. Some proof of that citizenship is not a violation of one's rights. So, I have no issues with requiring registration and an ID. For that matter, I heartily applaud voting by mail, as we have implemented out here in Colorado. Eliminates the Election Day line-at-the-poll issue.

As a previleged white male who lives in a reasonable affluent neighborhood, I too have never once experienced problems voting. I think that's how it should be for every single American regardless of their financial status and anything that gets us closer to that is good.

Sensible gun control? Yes, please, but let's define what this means. I have no issues with registration, background checks, and waiting periods. If that's 'control,' do it today. If 'control' means taking weapons away form law-abiding citizens just to make it more difficult for the criminal to acquire a weapon, then you need to do something about the Second Amendment first (and, please be assured that I would very much like to remove and replace the Second Amendment with something more appropriate to the 21st Century).
    I'm not sure what it means either. I'm all for hunters being able to easily have access to rifles. Beyond that I'm generally for more restrictions, safety, training and background checks. Let's fund it with a direct tax on guns and ammunition.

Our Congress needs to be held accountable for its ideas. Anything they suggest that will be funded by the taxpayer needs to include the cost, and where that cost will come from. Any suggestion of lowering taxes needs to come with a corresponding reduction in spending.

We have fundamental differences in what we want out of our government, you and I.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Universal healthcare = taxpayer-funded healthcare. Where does the money come from? This a noble outcome, but the high cost of care isn't going away. If we shift the burden to the taxpayer, where does the money come from? It can and it should. With universal health care there is a bargaining ability that does not exist today. When you eliminate the for-profit models hospitalization becomes significant less expensive. Factor in what is currently being spent on insurance and health care becomes more affordable.

Livable wage for all = either taxpayer-funded or employer-funded payments, in excess of an employee's contributions. Where does the money come from, particularly after the low-wage employees get laid off, rather than receive overpayments? What about the effects of inflation. raise everybody to $15, and what do you suppose will happen to prices? Suddenly, $15 won't do it anymore, and we'll want to give everyone $20. Employers need to pay their employees a livable wage or not have a business. This is the one place where I do believe the free market will sort it out. Time travel back to the days of businesses being beholden to their employees as much as their stockholders and we are off to a good start.

Higher taxes on the wealthy = higher taxes for everyone (this is one place 'trickle down' works with certainty). I'm not opposed, but this is a subterfuge. Tax the wealthy at 99% and there's STILL not enough money to pay for all this. But, it sounds so palatable. MY taxes won't go up, only those greedy rich people. These suggestions will ALL involve higher taxes....MUCH higher taxes, for everyone. I have no problem with higher taxes.

Government-funded college = Taxpayer-funded college. Why even have colleges and universities? Why not expand HS to include grades 13-17? No need for dorms. No need for college professors more interested in grants and publication than actually teaching. College has become so expensive because our government made it more accessible to everyone. They did a wonderful job of it, don't you think? Not a bad idea. Work on that.

Equity in education? Not even sure what this means, but it's probably expensive. Identical curriculum for all schools? Funneling money from affluent communities to more distressed communities? Outcome-based equality or funding equality? How do you get there? It means the kid that lives in low income areas are entitled to the same quality of education as the kids on the wealthy areas. How you get there will differ between localities but mandate it.

Strong climate agenda = increased taxpayer investment. Maybe worthwhile, but where does the money come from? And, what's the actual agenda we're looking for? Additional research? Great, but let's avoid another Solyndra. Green New Deal, where we give up our cars and stop flying? Absurd. If you think the GND means give up our cars and stop flying, there is nothing to discuss here. If we don't fix it, we die.

End to mass incarceration? Yes, please. Do this today. We have entirely too many people locked up who are NOT a threat to society. And this is one suggestion that would actually cost LESS, instead of more. High five.

Protection of voter rights? I'm on the fence here. I believe deeply in voter rights, but I don't have first-hand experience with problems, so I'm not understanding additional need to 'protect' that right. Voters need to be citizens. Some proof of that citizenship is not a violation of one's rights. So, I have no issues with requiring registration and an ID. For that matter, I heartily applaud voting by mail, as we have implemented out here in Colorado. Eliminates the Election Day line-at-the-poll issue. Having ID is not as easy as you imply and voter fraud is not a real problem. We've been through this.

Sensible gun control? Yes, please, but let's define what this means. I have no issues with registration, background checks, and waiting periods. If that's 'control,' do it today. If 'control' means taking weapons away form law-abiding citizens just to make it more difficult for the criminal to acquire a weapon, then you need to do something about the Second Amendment first (and, please be assured that I would very much like to remove and replace the Second Amendment with something more appropriate to the 21st Century). Registration, background checks, and waiting periods. Yes. We've been through this as well. I don't know anyone that is suggesting taking guns away from law-abiding citizens although I'm sure they are out there.

Ideas have to be big and they have to be broad in scope. Otherwise nothing ever changes.
    Take car. Go to Mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

NYYF Legend

On a lighter note:

http://deadstate.org/irelands-first-...his-boyfriend/

Ireland’s first openly-gay prime minister introduces Mike Pence to his boyfriend

Footage of Pence’s encounter with Varadkar and his partner Matt Barrett in front of the Vice President’s residence was uploaded to Twitter, showing the VP and his sister making small talk with the pair.

Varadkar can be seen stepping to the side to speak with Pence’s sister, leaving the Vice President to speak with Barrett. Some observers saw the exchange as awkward, given Pence’s well-known evangelical take on issues such as gay marriage.

“I’ve never seen anything as awkward and I love it,” one person tweeted.

Another person thought it was odd that Pence’s sister was present instead of his wife.

That’s Pence’s sister,” a commenter noted. “Mother Pence wasn’t there at all, which says it all.”

Pence’s wife, Karen Pence, recently drew backlash for accepting a teaching job at a private Christian school in Virginia that excludes gay and transgender students and staff members.
    Unfortunately, it´s a reminder of what we get if we manage to impeach Trump.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Try looking at it from another angle. Ignore the costs for now. Do we want affordable universal heath care for all citizens? If so, what would it look like? How would we make appointments, how often and where? What would be different than the way we receive health care now? What would be the benefits to society as a whole? What is the level of importance? If answers to these questions indicate that universal health care would be of great importance, then we calculate the costs and figure out a way to pay for it. It's going to be expensive but everybody knows that already.

I don't like the way politicians use estimated high costs to waive out of hand any notion of health care for everybody. Food can be expensive but we don't give up food because of it, we do the best we can and keep the costs as low as possible. Healthcare is nearly as important.
    Let the kids play.

Hope is eternal

https://twitter.com/msnbc/status/110...503283211?s=21

NEW: House Oversight Cmte. Chairman Cummings is requesting documents from former Fox News reporter Diana Falzone, who covered hush-money payment to adult film actress Stormy Daniels.

Note it was Falzone who initiated this
    Thankful to be a fan of a big market team

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    "All tweets are the same." ~Maynerd 3/14/19

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi3 View Post
    So, your ideal scenario is the D's moving far to the left ?
    Yes.

That all sounds very expensive. How do we pay for all that?

And if health care and a college degree are basic human rights, and need to be taxpayer-funded, why not groceries? Why not utilities? Shouldn't those be taxpayer-funded, too?
    We tax the wealthy and cut the defense budget. And anything that is necessary to live should be subsidized. That includes healthcare, food, clothing, housing, utilities, and -- I'd add -- education.

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    On a lighter note:

http://deadstate.org/irelands-first-...his-boyfriend/

Unfortunately, it´s a reminder of what we get if we manage to impeach Trump.
    I'll bet his wife refused to go because they're gay. Obviously I can't prove that, but it makes sense. I actually feel bad for the PM and his hubby, having to be cordial to a man who would have their relationship be illegal.

Well they are the ones always telling us we're doomed, so it was suprising when the actually told the truth right before retracting it.
    You really do squeeze everything into your ideological narratives, don't you. If there's evidence of human-caused warming, it's just fixed by the Deep State. The rare dissenting voice in the scientific community is bravely telling the truth. If it turns out that their evidence was faulty, they were forced to retract that brave truth. But it's your argument that is entirely ideological and unsupported by evidence.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post

Yes.

We tax the wealthy and cut the defense budget. And anything that is necessary to live should be subsidized. That includes healthcare, food, clothing, housing, utilities, and -- I'd add -- education.

I'll bet his wife refused to go because they're gay. Obviously I can't prove that, but it makes sense. I actually feel bad for the PM and his hubby, having to be cordial to a man who would have their relationship be illegal.
    Won't come close to paying for all the programs. In most Scandinavian demo socialist countries their tax rates for the middle class is over 60% You could confiscate all the wealth of the top 1% and fund things for maybe a year or 2
    Last edited by ieddyi3; 03-15-19 at 10:09 AM.
    I like big mutt,s and I can not lie....

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi3 View Post
    Won't come close to paying for all the programs. In most Scandinavian demo socialist countries their tax rates for the middle class is over 60% You could confiscate all the wealth of the top 1% anf dund things for maybe a year or 2
    They're social democracies, and I'm fine with their model. I have no problem paying that tax rate and ensuring everyone's needs are met. They also get lengthy paid parental leave. It's a great system. If nobody has to worry about bankruptcy because they have the audacity to get sick, as well as all the other life necessities I mentioned, then I'm good with high taxes.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    You really do squeeze everything into your ideological narratives, don't you. If there's evidence of human-caused warming, it's just fixed by the Deep State. The rare dissenting voice in the scientific community is bravely telling the truth. If it turns out that their evidence was faulty, they were forced to retract that brave truth. But it's your argument that is entirely ideological and unsupported by evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    They're social democracies, and I'm fine with their model. I have no problem paying that tax rate and ensuring everyone's needs are met. They also get lengthy paid parental leave. It's a great system. If nobody has to worry about bankruptcy because they have the audacity to get sick, as well as all the other life necessities I mentioned, then I'm good with high taxes.
    I'm so tired of being told it won't work here even though it works in literally every other nation that tries it to the tune of lower overall cost and better overall output. But yes, please keep saying how we are the greatest nation on earth.

AOC put on another clinic questioning Wilbur Ross yesterday and had Mark Meadows squirming. It's easy to see why the GOP is so terrified of her. She is as well prepared (or better) than anyone I've ever seen in these committee hearings.

This is the same Mark Meadows that pretended to have a BA, but the Tampa Times found he only had an Associates? Next level stupid.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

AOC put on another clinic questioning Wilbur Ross yesterday and had Mark Meadows squirming. It's easy to see why the GOP is so terrified of her. She is as well prepared (or better) than anyone I've ever seen in these committee hearings.
    Scared old man tried to weasel out by meekly saying "I think she's out of time."

I love her.

NYYF Cy Young

YOUNG PEOPLE FEEL BETRAYED BY ADULTS OVER THE CLIMATE CRISIS. TODAY, THEY’RE GOING ON STRIKE.

https://theintercept.com/2019/03/15/...limate-strike/

Ironically, the aging Baby Boomers were probably right when they said don't trust anyone over 30.
    Jingoism is not Patriotism

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    You are inventing arguments ive never made. I never claimed the deep state fixed anything or created a hoax like someone else claimed i did. I believe that since the IPCC was formed to specifically find a link between human activity and global warming, that they were biased and had to find something to justfy their existence.

And gun to my head i would bet that whoever wtote that the lower end of global warming prediction could have positive effects on the economy was forced to say he made a mistake.
    Ive seen too many numbers fudged and good scientists blacklisted for daring to question their AGW story.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    YOUNG PEOPLE FEEL BETRAYED BY ADULTS OVER THE CLIMATE CRISIS. TODAY, THEY’RE GOING ON STRIKE.

https://theintercept.com/2019/03/15/...limate-strike/

Ironically, the aging Baby Boomers were probably right when they said don't trust anyone over 30.
    Its a shame how traumatized the kid in that story is. Her parents are to blame.

Hope is eternal

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Scared old man tried to weasel out by meekly saying "I think she's out of time."

I love her.
    Not to give AOC too much credit. Not too hard to make Meadows sound dumb.
    Thankful to be a fan of a big market team

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Nope its true. Nobody has been able to prove that the warming since the little ice age is caused by humans and not just a natural cycle.

"Unemployment is low because everyone has two jobs"
    Definitely scary

You are inventing arguments ive never made. I never claimed the deep state fixed anything or created a hoax like someone else claimed i did. I believe that since the IPCC was formed to specifically find a link between human activity and global warming, that they were biased and had to find something to justfy their existence.

And gun to my head i would bet that whoever wtote that the lower end of global warming prediction could have positive effects on the economy was forced to say he made a mistake.
    Ive seen too many numbers fudged and good scientists blacklisted for daring to question their AGW story.
    You have said that we only see the evidence the government wants us to see. You have said that the government, through its grants, controls what findings scientists can or can’t come up with. You have said that dissenting voices are forced to retract. This is precisely the Deep State.

What numbers have you seen fudged? What scientists have you seen blacklisted, and by whom, and how?

Thread Information