+ Reply to Thread
Page 118 of 166 FirstFirst ... 18 68 108 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 128 ... LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,950 of 4141

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I'm not judging you. I'm laughing at you.
    I thought we were having a discussion.

Guess not.

I'm not judging you. I'm laughing at you.
    Stii, it was my post. I'm on record opposing the Muslim/travel/whatever ban, and I don't generalize about Muslims--why is it okay to generalize about a group that includes me?
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Stii, it was my post. I'm on record opposing the Muslim/travel/whatever ban, and I don't generalize about Muslims--why is it okay to generalize about a group that includes me?
    I don't think I generalize very often and when I do it's more just out of laziness. When I generalize about white men, it's usually in reference to them holding a disproportionate amount of power in this country. So I don't think I'm the person to answer that question but I suspect it's directly related to holding that power.

And thinking about it, I'll add that generalizing about Muslims, women, African Americans, and others can lead to rape, abuse, harassment, wage gaps, etc. Real harm. Generalizing about white men can lead to....??? hurt feelings?

I'm not saying it's okay, just not as harmful.

I don't think I generalize very often and when I do it's more just out of laziness. When I generalize about white men, it's usually in reference to them holding a disproportionate amount of power in this country. So I don't think I'm the person to answer that question but I suspect it's directly related to holding that power.
    So holding power is directly related to the danger perceived from their potential for acts of terrorism? Aren't you stretching that "holding power" excuse way beyond any logical application?
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

So holding power is directly related to the danger perceived from their potential for acts of terrorism? Aren't you stretching that "holding power" excuse way beyond any logical application?
    I'm sorry. I'm not following you.

And thinking about it, I'll add that generalizing about Muslims, women, African Americans, and others can lead to rape, abuse, harassment, wage gaps, etc. Real harm. Generalizing about white men can lead to....??? hurt feelings?

Yeah, that makes it better. Say whatever crap about me you want, because nobody is trying to rape me. Again, nothing to do with the subject at hand.

No, it's not even about hurt feelings. It's about having a position on something, but having an exception to it for no real reason. If someone truly feels that generalizing is harmful and should be avoided, it should be across the board. Not just go as far as it suits you.

And I'm sure you can understand that over time, if the anger gets strong enough, in combination with this current environment of division, it will lead to violence against the group you are generalizing. As it becomes more accepted it won't just be words anymore.

Yeah, that makes it better. Say whatever crap about me you want, because nobody is trying to rape me. Again, nothing to do with the subject at hand.
    I'm trying to answer why people might be more comfortable generalizing about white men than they are about other groups. I have no idea if I'm right. Just throwing out my thoughts. You, otoh, are being kind of a jerk for no apparent reason so I'll be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    No, it's not even about hurt feelings. It's about having a position on something, but having an exception to it for no real reason. If someone truly feels that generalizing is harmful and should be avoided, it should be across the board. Not just go as far as it suits you.

And I'm sure you can understand that over time, if the anger gets strong enough, in combination with this current environment of division, it will lead to violence against the group you are generalizing. As it becomes more accepted it won't just be words anymore.
    I'm not sure about that but, yes, being generalized because of your gender is annoying. I've experienced that once or twice myself. Hey, maybe it's revenge generalization. Is that a thing? Probably.

I'm not sure about that but, yes, being generalized because of your gender is annoying. I've experienced that once or twice myself. Hey, maybe it's revenge generalization. Is that a thing? Probably.
    I'm generalized for being a straight white male. Basically I'm evil incarnate.

I'm generalized for being a straight white male. Basically I'm evil incarnate.
    Nah. That's because you're a Trumpkin.

I'm trying to answer why people might be more comfortable generalizing about white men than they are about other groups. I have no idea if I'm right. Just throwing out my thoughts. You, otoh, are being kind of a jerk for no apparent reason so I'll be done.
    Well, I was (being a jerk--reason: to make a point). And thanks for the "not okay." But imagine your reaction if you were told that any pejorative remarks about your minority are less harmful than any other. Hurt feelings are dismissed...what happened to "words matter"?

Plus, whoever got raped, etc. for a comment on a baseball forum?

So nothing new yet on the identity or motivation of the driver in London. I'm going to bed hoping it was just some old guy that lost control of his vehicle. Tragic accidents are much easier to digest.

What a load of garbage.

Of course, this is a population group that we are allowed to generalize about...and happens to include me. Why is this fair, but all the other generalizations aren't?

I expect better of you, Jenn. Qualify it with "extremist", "right-wing nutjob", something....
    I'm not saying all Americans males with guns kill people. I'm saying I have much more reason to be afraid of them than of terrorists from foreign countries. They kill a hell of a lot more people here than foreign terrorists do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    What a load of garbage.
    No, it was quite accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    Really? How so?

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

I need to ask you and anyone else in this thread a question and I am dead serious.

Will you be happy if it turns out to be a crazy white guy on a revenge mission against muslims?
    This seems mean. Are you happy whenever someone dies from an Islamic extremist because it may garner support for the travel ban?

Maybe it stops the next one.
    There are lots of ways that we could stop attacks and/or domestic crimes that I'm not comfortable doing.
    2016 - At least we won as many postseason games as the Red Sox

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteYankee View Post
    This seems mean. Are you happy whenever someone dies from an Islamic extremist because it may garner support for the travel ban?
    No, of course I'm not. it does strengthen my belief that it being halted by the court is a bad idea with each one that happens anywhere, but it would not make me happy. I want it to stop. And a revenge or vigilante act like this is just as awful or perhaps even worse since people may be fighting back themselves now because the laws that should be in place are not. Perhaps I chose the wrong word (happy) but I did want to pose a shocking question to gauge the response.

The court should be interpreting the law, not writing it. There was nothing about what President Trump did that was not within his power in this situation and I feel that the decision to stop this was made by mostly liberal leaning judges and it wasn't just interpreted. They overstepped. The power to do what he did was clearly written. This was more obstruction in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    That generalizations about marginalized groups are more likely to cause harm than generalizations about white men seems so obvious. I don't see why it's offensive. Maybe someone can explain it.

That generalizations about marginalized groups are more likely to cause harm than generalizations about white men seems so obvious. I don't see why it's offensive. Maybe someone can explain it.
    Maybe you can explain how your theory works.

Addicted Member

Maybe you can explain how your theory works.
    Maybe, but I doubt it. Tex might get on a conference call with JLW who at the top of this page wrote once again how much more fearful she is of males. There seems to be a slight disconnect. Or maybe it's just womansplaining?

Personally speaking, people need to stop marginalizing men. After all, aren't we all part of the human race?
    Happy 2017!

SJW and proud

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...ill-report?amp

Head of Mosque protects driver of van from attack.
    SJW - bad attempt at insulting people that care about other's rights and not just their own.

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

No, of course I'm not. it does strengthen my belief that it being halted by the court is a bad idea with each one that happens anywhere, but it would not make me happy. I want it to stop. And a revenge or vigilante act like this is just as awful or perhaps even worse since people may be fighting back themselves now because the laws that should be in place are not. Perhaps I chose the wrong word (happy) but I did want to pose a shocking question to gauge the response.

The court should be interpreting the law, not writing it. There was nothing about what President Trump did that was not within his power in this situation and I feel that the decision to stop this was made by mostly liberal leaning judges and it wasn't just interpreted. They overstepped. The power to do what he did was clearly written. This was more obstruction in my view.
    Anytime inncocent people die, no matter who they are, I would hope no one here is happy. I want to keep people safe here too but I don't think keeping good people out of the country is the way to do it. I'm all for being more strict on our vetting process, if needed, but banning people from select countries doesn't sit right with me. We could make this country super safe by banning anyone from coming here and/or restricting our freedoms but I don't want to live like that.

I don't know law well enough to talk about the legality of the travel ban but I'm ok with leaving it to the courts. Several courts have now stated that he has exceeded his authority. At what point do you trust their opinion? Only if some judges with some historically conservative views say it or even then will you think the courts are wrong? (I'm honestly asking - not trying to be snide). Trump doesn't seem to help himself with his own Tweets which are actually used against him in court.
    2016 - At least we won as many postseason games as the Red Sox

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Thread Information