+ Reply to Thread
Page 267 of 267 FirstFirst ... 167 217 257 264 265 266 267
Results 6,651 to 6,673 of 6673

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    That's true, but I've pressed on anyway.
    I stayed out of this argument the other day because I figured I must have misunderstood what was being said. For the same reasons Tex just stated, I'm planning to stay out of it now, but I just want to get some clarification. Is it your argument that there's some cultural equivalence in America between how women are treated by men - in terms of assault, harassment, objectfication, sexualization, and just plain grossness - and how men are treated by women?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I stayed out of this argument the other day because I figured I must have misunderstood what was being said. For the same reasons Tex just stated, I'm planning to stay out of it now, but I just want to get some clarification. Is it your argument that there's some cultural equivalence in America between how women are treated by men - in terms of assault, harassment, objectfication, sexualization, and just plain grossness - and how men are treated by women?
    I'm saying that both men and women talk about who they'd like to sleep with, and these conversations are not harassment in and of themselves.

NYYF Legend

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/20/sena...&ICID=ref_fark

But a nonpartisan tax analysis group said the Senate package would leave half of taxpayers facing higher levies by 2027
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Yup I mentioned this last night. And 2/3 of the middle class will
    SJW - bad attempt at insulting people that care about other's rights and not just their own.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    I thought it looked familiar.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I thought it looked familiar.
    Of course for the corporations they keep the cut
    SJW - bad attempt at insulting people that care about other's rights and not just their own.

You're drawing some weird conclusions.

Talking about a co-worker you'd like to have sex with =/= belief that they are 'theirs for the taking' nor is it harassment.

And spoiler alert: women have these conversations too.
    I don't agree. Men can keep insisting these conversations are harmless, but that's not a believable stance. Recent news has only brought to light what women have been dealing with for a long time. If someone engages in these conversations at work, they've contributed to harrassment culture.

Women do not tend to harrass on the scale men have. Perhaps a better conversation to have is why do so many men commit these tresspasses?

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Bernard View Post
    There was a pretty heated conversation here a few weeks back with a few male forumers asking why it’s wrong to discuss which female co-workers they’d like to “blank”. This points to the problem. There is clearly a universal belief among too large a number of men that women in their circles are theirs for the taking. Conversations rating their body parts or whatever are part of harassment culture. It needs to end.
    The bolded is certainly true, as one Weinstein or [insert predator here] is too many. But you're really reaching here. I doubt that private conversations among coworkers - male or female, or both - about whom they find attractive, up to an including who they'd like to blank, is the reason these nutjobs are out assaulting people. Particularly serial offenders. You are not going to solve this problem by censoring private discussion, or by firing all male/female employees discussing attractive members of the opposite or same sex.

As was discussed and glommed over, yeah if there's a systemic issue like the "rating scale" that was used as an example, or a group standing around the water cooler talking about hopeful or actual sexual conquests, that needs to be squashed and corrected. People should lose jobs for participating in that, and management should lose jobs for fostering it and/or not preventing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I agree but don't see any point in furthering the discussion. History here shows that any conversation that involves a cultural or systemic problems quickly devolves into personal anecdotes, small sample sizes and cries of generalizations that don't have anything to do with the bigger issue.
    Here the forum or life at large? Both make sense. Men get very defensive about this topic.

I don't agree. Men can keep insisting these conversations are harmless, but that's not a believable stance. Recent news has only brought to light what women have been dealing with for a long time. If someone engages in these conversations at work, they've contributed to harrassment culture.

Women do not tend to harrass on the scale men have. Perhaps a better conversation to have is why do so many men commit these tresspasses?
    For the reasons you've stated. Some men feel like women in their circles are there for the taking, and try to leverage positions of power to enable their assault(s). It's disgusting, not only that it happens but that the entire corporate world doesn't already have an enforced zero tolerance policy on sexual harassment and assault. The courage of the victims who have spoken out is gonna darn well ensure that happens going forward however. Any corporation observed not protecting all it's employees from all variations of sexual harrassment is going to pay a bottom-line affecting PR price, and lawsuits against employers and individuals will certainly become more of a deterrent going forward as well.

Here the forum or life at large? Both make sense. Men get very defensive about this topic.
    Defensive, as in not agreeing with your broad sweeping generalizations?

How is a private conversation harmful to those not involved in the conversation?

NYYF Legend

I'm sure many have seen this by now, but this is what will happen when net neutrality is gone, as it essentially is in Portugal:

http://www.businessinsider.com/net-n...ok-fcc-2017-11

Sounds fun right. Or, more accurately, really fun for telecom providers, good for some entrenched big content providers that will get special access to consumers, and worse for everyone else.

Pastor: Moore dated 'younger ladies' for their 'purity'

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...r-their-purity

A pastor this week defended GOP Senate candidate Roy Moore for pursuing "younger ladies," following accusations that Moore harassed and assaulted teenage girls when he was in his 30s.

Pastor Flip Benham, who appeared alongside other anti-abortion advocates at a press conference with Moore last week, suggested Monday on an Alabama radio show that there was nothing wrong with dating younger women, saying that Moore never did so without their parents' permission.

"The lady that he’s married to now, Ms. Kayla, is a younger woman. He did that because there is something about a purity of a young woman, there is something that is good, that's true, that's straight and he looked for that," Benham told radio hosts Matt Murphy and Andrea Lindenberg in an interview first highlighted by the liberal media watchdog Right Wing Watch.
    I've learned that I can always be even more disgusted than I was before.

I'm saying that both men and women talk about who they'd like to sleep with, and these conversations are not harassment in and of themselves.
    We’re describing these conversations as much more milquetoast than they are. The conversations men have about women are often objectifying and possessive. This is why harrassement culture is so prevelant. Men reinforcing in other men that it’s okay to say and then act on these impulses.

No, it’s not a two way street. Men are not facing the same problems they’re causing for women.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Do you know how hard it is to write a tax bill that manages to both raise taxes on over 90 million people and also add 13 figures to the national debt? It's mind boggling.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    Pastor: Moore dated 'younger ladies' for their 'purity'

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...r-their-purity

I've learned that I can always be even more disgusted than I was before.
    I was coming to post this. The disgusting, two-faced, awful, un-Jesus-like attitude of so many of these "pastors" is unending.

And they wonder why anybody with half a brain is leaving religion. Sadly it makes them fight harder to get people like Moore elected to "protect" them from the awful secular unbigoted majority.

We’re describing these conversations as much more milquetoast than they are. The conversations men have about women are often objectifying and possessive. This is why harrassement culture is so prevelant. Men reinforcing in other men that it’s okay to say and then act on these impulses.

No, it’s not a two way street. Men are not facing the same problems they’re causing for women.
    So it's ok for women to have these conversations among themselves, but not men?

It's possible to say you want to f*** someone without actually assaulting them.

I don't know what, if anything, it'll do, but here's where you can voice you objection to what the FCC is proposing.

https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/filings/express
    If you wish to file comments regarding the FCC's Restoring Internet Freedom proceeding, you may submit a public comment by going to www.fcc.gov/ecfs/filings/express. Enter the number 17-108 in the first field, which is called Proceeding. On the same screen, you can type your comments and submit it to the FCC. Your comments will be part of the FCC's official record in this proceeding.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    I don't know what, if anything, it'll do, but here's where you can voice you objection to what the FCC is proposing.

https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/filings/express
    Sadly I think this is a dome deal.be ready to pay more. Facebook only $8.99 a month!

Sadly I think this is a dome deal.be ready to pay more. Facebook only $8.99 a month!
    I still don't see how google, facebook, netflix, hulu, apple, etc would be OK with people having to pay extra for their services. Unless they work deals with the ISPs to get a cut.

So it's ok for women to have these conversations among themselves, but not men?

It's possible to say you want to f*** someone without actually assaulting them.
    Women never have those conversations. Never. Never use sex to advance their careers. Pure as the driven snow.

I was coming to post this. The disgusting, two-faced, awful, un-Jesus-like attitude of so many of these "pastors" is unending.

And they wonder why anybody with half a brain is leaving religion. Sadly it makes them fight harder to get people like Moore elected to "protect" them from the awful secular unbigoted majority.
    That whole sentence about dating younger women for their purity makes me want to bathe in bleach. These people are SICK.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    That whole sentence about dating younger women for their purity makes me want to bathe in bleach. These people are SICK.
    And what makes it worse is they think they're the "moral" ones because of their religion. It's disgusting and insulting to those of us who don't need a silly book to tell me to be moral and do the right thing.

NYYF Legend

I still don't see how google, facebook, netflix, hulu, apple, etc would be OK with people having to pay extra for their services. Unless they work deals with the ISPs to get a cut.
    Well, all of those companies are fighting this too. They'll be extorted by Comcast/Verizon/AT&T to pay for full-speed traffic to their audience (especially Netflix), and then they'll pass the added cost on to consumers as much as they can get away with.

I hope at least it will cause Google to get serious about Google Fiber to provide another ISP option. I think they were basically paid off/litigated to death by Comcast/Verizon/AT&T/etc to stop building it, but that incentive goes out the window if net neutrality goes.

Thread Information