+ Reply to Thread
Page 1011 of 1015 FirstFirst ... 11 511 911 961 1001 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 ... LastLast
Results 25,251 to 25,275 of 25363
    once more unto the breach Texsahara's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    I guess I make exceptions for people who kill kids.
    Why? I guess my real question is what is it about the death penalty that you object to?

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    I guess I make exceptions for people who kill kids.
    Then you are pro-death penalty. Either itís OK for the state to kill people, or it isnít. "I believe in the death penalty only for crimes I find especially heinous" is basically the position of every death-penalty supporter. Itís an opinion youíre certainly entitled to hold, but letís call it what it is.

Everyone on Death Row has been convicted of doing Very Bad Things. I remember thinking about Timothy McVeigh: if you have to have a death penalty, heís not a bad choice. Thatís how I generally feel (not including those who are actually innocent). But itís not about the convict's merit. I genuinely believe that, with each execution, we diminish ourselves as a society.

Plus, of course, itís racist and capricious. And irrevocable.

From a moral point of view, you draw the line at killing a child. Legally, though, he wasnít convicted of that. There were a lot of charges that included the phrase "resulting in death," but no homicide charges because thatís not a federal crime. Executing people for crimes they werenít even charged with is a terrifying prospect to me.

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

https://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/-...re-89377349895

ďI hear senators making $175,000 a year complaining that these Ďlazy workers are getting so much money.íĒ says Sen. Sherrod Brown. ďPeople havenít sunk into poverty in significant numbers at all during this pandemic because of the $600 a week
    This. This. This. A thousand times this. And precisely why regular UI is simply not enough.

NYYF Legend

Iím not opposed to death penalty. But the way it is selectively enforced is usually just as racist as the rest of the judicial system so Iím not opposed to its abolition either.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

The day an innocent person was known to have been executed should have been the end of the whole practice.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    The day an innocent person was known to have been executed should have been the end of the whole practice.
    That should have been the final of many, many, many instances when the death penalty should have been stopped.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

This is an outstanding piece, taken from a book thatís coming out this week. I donít think itís going too far to say that it gives us a whole new way of framing and talking the issue of race. It probably wonít catch on, unfortunately, because I think itís important.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow
    Person, woman, man, camera, TV

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    This is an outstanding piece, taken from a book thatís coming out this week. I donít think itís going too far to say that it gives us a whole new way of framing and talking the issue of race. It probably wonít catch on, unfortunately, because I think itís important.
    I had just bookmarked that article to read later today.

What an extraordianary man. Pop is a national treasure.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post

So what’s Belinelli’s status?
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    So whatís Belinelliís status?

NYYF Legend

The death penalty is barbaric and should be abolished. No exceptions.
    Agreed.

Not only that but it's been proven to not be cheaper than incarceration. It has also been proven that it is an ineffective deterent to murder.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers
    Well....I am a total bacon whore...
    <--- The Ryan emoticon.

I donít have any interest in basketball, but have respected this man for a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
    Agreed.

Not only that but it's been proven to not be cheaper than incarceration. It has also been proven that it is an ineffective deterent to murder.
    Yup.

Over the last two decades, dating back to when I worked with the homeless, Iíve learnt a lot about incarceration across the world. The Scandinavian countries could teach us all a thing or to about this topic.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    The Scandinavian countries could teach us all a thing or to about this topic.
    Nicely done ... "to" means "two" in both Norwegian and Danish!

Agreed.

I agree with all of the points you all make (aside from the one saying I'm just pro death penalty). Ultimately I'm against it, but the mother in me finds it hard not to want vengeance against someone who killed a child or otherwise vulnerable person. Yet I'll admit there's a lot to think about.
    "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Saving to read later.
    "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Kicking the Grim Reaper's Ass Big_E's Avatar
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Agreed.

It's not meant to be a deterrent, it's a punishment. Just as prison isn't a deterrent to people intent on committing crimes.
    Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's
    2016 NYYFans.com Fantasy Baseball League Champjons

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Nicely done ... "to" means "two" in both Norwegian and Danish!
    Ha. I think I knew that. It certainly sounds familiar. When we watched The Bridge, I spent a significant amount of time reading about the Scandinavian languages. Fascinating stuff.

But alas, I canít take credit for it in this instance. It was just a mistake when typing on my phone.

Probably due to that outstanding undergraduate institution he attended.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Not sure if I've posted this before, but it's an interesting look at prisons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v13wrVEQ2M

NYYF Legend

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...&ICID=ref_fark

AURORA, Colo. ó Police detained and handcuffed a Black mother and four children after mistaking their SUV for a stolen motorcycle from another state.

That's some fine police work there Lou. Fortunately the family wasn't shot.
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...&ICID=ref_fark

That's some fine police work there Lou. Fortunately the family wasn't shot.

That needs repeating. "after mistaking their SUV for a stolen motorcycle"

NYYF Legend

Just a couple of heroes doing their thankless job Tex.
    Baseball is life;

Still not ACAB

But eff the Aurora PD. They keep doubling down. Anyone that doesnít just walk off the job there is subhuman.

Thread Information