+ Reply to Thread
Page 280 of 299 FirstFirst ... 180 230 270 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 290 ... LastLast
Results 6,976 to 7,000 of 7466
    NYYF Legend

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Up to 30 Democratic Senators including Schumer asking Franken to resign.
    Posts in invisible key strokes

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    I'm fine with that. Are they asking Trump to resign too?
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Nope, well the republicans aren’t

There were new groping accusations. He needs to go. I just wish the GOP would say the same thing about Moore, since he's literally a child predator. There was a report that he'd resign tomorrow, but he's refuting that report.

http://www.businessinsider.com/al-fr...senate-2017-12

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    There were new groping accusations. He needs to go. I just wish the GOP would say the same thing about Moore, since he's literally a child predator. There was a report that he'd resign tomorrow, but he's refuting that report.

http://www.businessinsider.com/al-fr...senate-2017-12
    Yes there multiple now. I have zero problem with Franken leaving. But Moore and Trump also should go

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Well yeah, but good luck with that, since no one in his party is saying it. Ultimately, though, "but their groper is getting away with it" isn't a good reason not to resign.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    Well yeah, but good luck with that, since no one in his party is saying it. Ultimately, though, "but their groper is getting away with it" isn't a good reason not to resign.
    It feels like its not a good sign that whoever has the least morals profits politically right now.

Our modern Democrat and Republican tribes (including the voters) tend to care more winning a fight and screwing over the other side than doing the right thing. That always was the case to some degree, but it seems like technology has really made it worse the last few years, it's like we're different species now. I mean excusing sexual predators to maintain and exploit political majorities...

Trump taught a lot of people that if a truth is inconvenient, you just say its not the truth and muddy it. Once there's no objective truth, base instinct wins, and Trump panders to base instincts

Yes there multiple now. I have zero problem with Franken leaving. But Moore and Trump also should go
    I sure have a. Problem with him leaving. The Democrats lose a badly needed vote. Self-destructive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    It feels like its not a good sign that whoever has the least morals profits politically right now.

Our modern Democrat and Republican tribes (including the voters) tend to care more winning a fight and screwing over the other side than doing the right thing. That always was the case to some degree, but it seems like technology has really made it worse the last few years, it's like we're different species now. I mean excusing sexual predators to maintain and exploit political majorities...

Trump taught a lot of people that if a truth is inconvenient, you just say its not the truth and muddy it. Once there's no objective truth, base instinct wins, and Trump panders to base instincts
    Agreed.
    -Kevin

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    I sure have a. Problem with him leaving. The Democrats lose a badly needed vote. Self-destructive.
    If what you're concerned about is his vote, the Democrats will have that vote back pretty quickly when the Minnesota Governor appoints someone. I definitely understand the political concerns of losing a vote, even temporarily, but at some point political consequences need to take a back seat to doing the right thing, even if only one side does it.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    If what you're concerned about is his vote, the Democrats will have that vote back pretty quickly when the Minnesota Governor appoints someone. I definitely understand the political concerns of losing a vote, even temporarily, but at some point political consequences need to take a back seat to doing the right thing, even if only one side does it.
    The Republicans have successfully laid a trap for the Democrats. The lack of nuance, attention to detail, and common sense have resulted in Al Franken being lumped together with Roy Moore. Worlds apart. Al Franken is not and has not been a threat to anyone. He is not a predator, a rapist, or an exploiter of women. Typical liberal overreaction.

The Minnesota governor will pick another Democrat, thankfully.

The Republicans have successfully laid a trap for the Democrats. The lack of nuance, attention to detail, and common sense have resulted in Al Franken being lumped together with Roy Moore. Worlds apart. Al Franken is not and has not been a threat to anyone. He is not a predator, a rapist, or an exploiter of women. Typical liberal overreaction.
    No, it's not an overreaction. I will stipulate that Moore is far worse a human than Franken. That doesn't mean Franken should get a pass for his ................ty behavior. Franken shouldn't be in the Senate. Moore should be in prison.

No, it's not an overreaction. I will stipulate that Moore is far worse a human than Franken. That doesn't mean Franken should get a pass for his ................ty behavior. Franken shouldn't be in the Senate. Moore should be in prison.
    It's up to the people of Minnesota to decide whether or ot Al Franken should represent them in the Senate.

Those who want to shame Franken out of the Senate can take great comfort in the fact that they have just knocked off an ally. For what? Misbehavior? The sheer hypocrisy of these senators calling for Franken to resign is mind boggling as well as stupid. How many of them could withstand scrutiny?

Sorry, but his misbehavior doesn't rise to this level of offense. He's being scapegoated. Literally. In the Greek sense of the word.

But this is what liberals do. The hunger for moral self-righteousness drives them to such acts of self-destruction. Meanwhile, Trump is still in office. Moore will soon be in the Senate. And this is still the same cast of characters who ran a corrupt campaign for a dishonest and bankrupt Hillary Clinton who couldn't beat the weakest candidate in the history of presidential elections.

Conservative John Ziegler of all people came to Franken's defense. He looked past the allegations to the details with the common sense that Democrats should have. And he doesn't even mention Tweeden's grab for publicity for her conservative radio outlet.

https://www.mediaite.com/online/i-lo...ly-railroaded/

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

It's up to the people of Minnesota to decide whether or ot Al Franken should represent them in the Senate.

Those who want to shame Franken out of the Senate can take great comfort in the fact that they have just knocked off an ally. For what? Misbehavior? The sheer hypocrisy of these senators calling for Franken to resign is mind boggling as well as stupid. How many of them could withstand scrutiny?

Sorry, but his misbehavior doesn't rise to this level of offense. He's being scapegoated. Literally. In the Greek sense of the word.

But this is what liberals do. The hunger for moral self-righteousness drives them to such acts of self-destruction. Meanwhile, Trump is still in office. Moore will soon be in the Senate. And this is still the same cast of characters who ran a corrupt campaign for a dishonest and bankrupt Hillary Clinton who couldn't beat the weakest candidate in the history of presidential elections.

Conservative John Ziegler of all people came to Franken's defense. He looked past the allegations to the details with the common sense that Democrats should have. And he doesn't even mention Tweeden's grab for publicity for her conservative radio outlet.

https://www.mediaite.com/online/i-lo...ly-railroaded/

Hook, line and sinkered. It’s pathetic, really.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post

Intellectually I agree with most of this. Emotionally it feels like the main difference between Republicans and Democrats is Republicans base most of their beliefs now on resentment and hatred of other Americans.

@Bill Marsh if Democrats don’t clean their own house all the talk of social justice is a waste of time. They won’t be any better than their GOP counterparts.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Franken should announce today that he’s going to take an extended break for the holidays. During that time, he’d do a series of town halls of his constituency in his home state to gauge their opinion on the matter. If they tell him to resign, then he should write a letter and slide it under McTurtleface’s door. If they tell him to stand up for the people of Minnesota and continue to do the job they elected him for, then he should go back to DC with a renewed mandate and tell the Senate to bring on the ethics investigation he was welcoming back when this boulder was but a rock.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

NYYF Legend

Franken to speak at 10:45.up to 35 Democratic Senators calling for him to resign. (Note 3are on the ethics committee and are prohibited from commenting so could be as high as 38).

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Bernard View Post
    Intellectually I agree with most of this. Emotionally it feels like the main difference between Republicans and Democrats is Republicans base most of their beliefs now on resentment and hatred of other Americans.

@Bill Marsh if Democrats don’t clean their own house all the talk of social justice is a waste of time. They won’t be any better than their GOP counterparts.
    I agree. The problem is that Al Franken is not a sexual predator. A pat on the butt does or a kiss doesn't put him in the same league as Roy Moore who stalked teenagers, underage as well as older, and who locked at least one in a car and assaulted her.

Over the past 20 years, $17 million in Congressional funds were paid out to victims of sexual harassment by Congressmen. Not one dollar was paid out to settle claims against Al Franken, now in his 9th year in Congress. Not one.

So a group, which undoubtedly includes some of these predators, wants to bully Franken into resigning purely for craven reasons to say that they can self-righteously claim that they clean up their own house. They don't. They support Congressmen who get their victims to sign confidentiality agreements. They supported Bill Clinton, an accused rapist, and still claim him as their hero. They nominated his wife who led the "sluts & nuts" campaign against his accusers.

Phonies and hypocrites.

But Al Franken is the problem here. Please.

Franken shouldn't be in the Senate. Moore should be in prison.
    Where should Bill Clinton be?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
    Agreed. The Democrats are tossing Franken on a sacrificial altar as a pre-emptive strike against Roy Moore. They should be ashamed of themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by ojo
    Franken should announce today that he’s going to take an extended break for the holidays. During that time, he’d do a series of town halls of his constituency in his home state to gauge their opinion on the matter.
    Fully agree. This makes so much more sense than resigning his seat when his transgressions are less than many of his counterparts.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Where should Bill Clinton be?
    Agreed. The Democrats are tossing Franken on a sacrificial altar as a pre-emptive strike against Roy Moore. They should be ashamed of themselves.
    Fully agree. This makes so much more sense than resigning his seat when his transgressions are less than many of his counterparts.
    Clinton should be out of office where he is. And in hindsight should have resigned

Franken and Moore are worlds apart, but "not being as bad as Roy Moore" doesn't mean he didn't do wrong. I don't think anyone has accused him of being a rapist--I suppose predator or exploiter of women depend on how you're defining those things, and there are certainly degrees to those too. The fact that some ignorant people are lumping him in the same category as Roy Moore is not a defense, though. It's unfortunate that some can't see nuance, but I don't see the point. If someone commits a count of manslaughter and is being considered the same as Jeffrey Dahmer in the public eye, that's unfortunate and wrong, but it doesn't mean there shouldn't be consequences for the former.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

NYYF Legend

Per NBC News, Franken expected to announce his resignation, effective December 31, 2017.

I agree. The problem is that Al Franken is not a sexual predator. A pat on the butt does or a kiss doesn't put him in the same league as Roy Moore who stalked teenagers, underage as well as older, and who locked at least one in a car and assaulted her.

Over the past 20 years, $17 million in Congressional funds were paid out to victims of sexual harassment by Congressmen. Not one dollar was paid out to settle claims against Al Franken, now in his 9th year in Congress. Not one.

So a group, which undoubtedly includes some of these predators, wants to bully Franken into resigning purely for craven reasons to say that they can self-righteously claim that they clean up their own house. They don't. They support Congressmen who get their victims to sign confidentiality agreements. They supported Bill Clinton, an accused rapist, and still claim him as their hero. They nominated his wife who led the "sluts & nuts" campaign against his accusers.

Phonies and hypocrites.

But Al Franken is the problem here. Please.
    Yeah, it's nonsense.

With all of the talk about the dems 'doing the right thing at the expense of the party' I doubt they would be forcing the Franken issue if they weren't confident they can hold the seat.

Per NBC News, Franken expected to announce his resignation, effective December 31, 2017.
    I was just about to ask what has he decided to do. Thanks (assuming NBC News is correct. You know how they like post that fake news stuff)
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Thread Information