+ Reply to Thread
Page 928 of 928 FirstFirst ... 428 828 878 918 925 926 927 928
Results 23,176 to 23,195 of 23195
    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    There will be a recount but I bet you a dollar the legislature does not overturn the election.
    A whole dollar? You don’t have much faith in the outcome, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    A whole dollar? You don’t have much faith in the outcome, do you?
    But I do! I do! I really do!

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

There will be a recount but I bet you a dollar the legislature does not overturn the election.
    https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ow/4172935002/

When Bevin won the Republican primary for Governor in 2015 he did so by 85 votes. There was a "recanvass" that took place where all the clerks double checked their figures they sent to the Secretary of State. It didn't change a thing. I don't see how he gets 5300 changes. But he's free to try, at his own expense.

There is no provision for an automatic recount under Kentucky law, as a candidate must file a petition with the Franklin Circuit Court within 10 days of the election.

But in gubernatorial elections, state law does not allow candidates to request a recount, Grimes told The Courier Journal in an interview on Wednesday.

"Normally, if you’re talking about any other statewide race beyond governor and lieutenant governor, you would involve a recount, which involves the court," Grimes said. "But here, the law specifically excludes governor and lieutenant governor for recall procedures."

Another step that a candidate could take is a formal election contest with the state legislature, which must be filed within 30 days of the last action by the state board of elections. The state board is scheduled to certify the results of the race for governor on Nov. 25.

Under this contest, the candidate challenging the results must specify the grounds for the action, such as a violation of campaign finance rules or specific problems when it comes to how ballots were cast.

Such an election contest is covered under Section 90 of the state constitution, which addresses a "contest of election for Governor or Lieutenant Governor."

Section 90 states: "Contested elections for Governor and Lieutenant Governor shall be determined by both Houses of the General Assembly, according to such regulations as may be established by law."

Sam Marcosson, a constitutional law professor at the University of Louisville, told The Courier Journal that this language of the Kentucky Constitution suggests there must be procedure established by law for a review of a contested election to take place by the House and Senate.

“They can’t just make them up,” Marcosson said.

Further, he said, such a review would be extremely risky for lawmakers to undertake without clear reasons for a contested election.

“If the House and Senate were just to proceed on vague allegations without proof, that raises serious questions about disenfranchisement of the voters who voted for Attorney General Beshear,” Marcosson said. “It’s an extraordinary proposition to suggest that the General Assembly would take vague allegations of unspecified irregularities and call into question a gubernatorial election.”

University of Kentucky Law School professor Joshua Douglas, noting that he had “no idea” what irregularities Bevin referred to in his speech Tuesday night, said in the case of a legislative election contest, Bevin would have to call a special session of the General Assembly. Douglas said his session would involve a committee of 11 members, eight from the House and three from the Senate, which “would hear evidence and make a final determination. And that determination would be final.”

After that committee decision, no lawsuits could be filed over the decision, Douglas added.
    Seems like Professor Marcosson hasn't been paying attention to Republican politicians the past several years.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ow/4172935002/

When Bevin won the Republican primary for Governor in 2015 he did so by 85 votes. There was a "recanvass" that took place where all the clerks double checked their figures they sent to the Secretary of State. It didn't change a thing. I don't see how he gets 5300 changes. But he's free to try, at his own expense.

Seems like Professor Marcosson hasn't been paying attention to Republican politicians the past several years.
    At this point, he feels a bit like Roy Moore, who was also pretty unpopular and refused to accept his defeat in a deep red state. I'll be surprised if the Republicans actually take steps to overturn the election, and I suspect McConnell doesn't want that kind of drama in the run-up to his campaign next year.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YFIB View Post
    At this point, he feels a bit like Roy Moore, who was also pretty unpopular and refused to accept his defeat in a deep red state. I'll be surprised if the Republicans actually take steps to overturn the election, and I suspect McConnell doesn't want that kind of drama in the run-up to his campaign next year.
    Yeah they still control most of the state and can limit what the Democrat can get done and outgoing dude is wildly unpopular. Forcing him back in could lead to backlash in the next election cycle.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Yeah they still control most of the state and can limit what the Democrat can get done and the outgoing dude is wildly unpopular. Forcing him back in could lead to a backlash in the next election cycle.
    The problem with places like MI or AL etc is that they know they can just burn the clock on Dem elected officials cos the chances are, the next time around, the GOP candidate won't be a pedophile or despised. Now, eventually, that guy/gal is likely to become despised but you know what I mean.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...octor-n1078476

A professional referee says in a lawsuit filed Thursday that disgraced doctor Richard Strauss masturbated in front of him in a shower after a wrestling match at Ohio State University, and he reported the encounter directly to Rep. Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, who was then the assistant coach.

“Yeah, that’s Strauss,” Jordan and then-head coach Russ Hellickson replied, according to the lawsuit, when the referee, identified in court papers as John Doe 42, told them about the incident. The lawsuit, filed in federal court in Ohio, implies that Jordan's response to the incident, which the referee said happened in 1994, was essentially a shrug.

John Doe 42 is the second person to say he told Jordan directly about either being approached or molested by Strauss, who was found by independent investigators to have sexually abused 177 male students over two decades.
    Take car. Go to Mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

But Katie Hill had to resign.

Katie Hill chose to resign. Good people that do bad things understand there can be consequences for their actions. Bad people that do bad things don't care.
    Take car. Go to Mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

Katie Hill chose to resign. Good people that do bad things understand there can be consequences for their actions. Bad people that do bad things don't care.
    Good people on both sides?

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ed/2530822001/

Republican Senate President Robert Stivers believes Gov. Matt Bevin should concede his loss to Democrat Andy Beshear if next week's recanvass doesn't significantly change the vote totals.

“It’s time to call it quits and go home, say he had a good four years and congratulate Gov.-elect Beshear,” Stivers said in a brief Friday interview at the Capitol.

Bevin finished 5,189 votes behind Democrat Andy Beshear in Tuesday's gubernatorial election but has refused to concede the race, requesting a recanvass of the vote that will take place Nov. 14.

The governor has also made allegations of widespread voting irregularities and fraud on Election Day, but hasn't provided any evidence to back up those claims.

Stivers said if Bevin chooses to contest the election by calling a special session of the General Assembly and making a case that there was illegal activity, lawmakers would have to hear the dispute under the state constitution.

However, he added that doesn’t mean Bevin would prevail in such a contest, absent compelling evidence of major fraud or error.

“It’s a pretty high bar," Stivers said.

Republican Senate President Robert Stivers believes Gov. Matt Bevin should concede his loss to Democrat Andy Beshear if next week's recanvass doesn't significantly change the vote totals.

“It’s time to call it quits and go home, say he had a good four years and congratulate Gov.-elect Beshear,” Stivers said in a brief Friday interview at the Capitol.

Bevin finished 5,189 votes behind Democrat Andy Beshear in Tuesday's gubernatorial election but has refused to concede the race, requesting a recanvass of the vote that will take place Nov. 14.

The governor has also made allegations of widespread voting irregularities and fraud on Election Day, but hasn't provided any evidence to back up those claims.

Stivers said if Bevin chooses to contest the election by calling a special session of the General Assembly and making a case that there was illegal activity, lawmakers would have to hear the dispute under the state constitution.

However, he added that doesn’t mean Bevin would prevail in such a contest, absent compelling evidence of major fraud or error.

“It’s a pretty high bar," Stivers said.
    Ummm ... he's a GOP Gov in Kentucky and they didn't re-elect him. I'm guessing he didn't have a "good four years".

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    Ummm ... he's a GOP Gov in Kentucky and they didn't re-elect him. I'm guessing he didn't have a "good four years".
    He did if you look at it through the lens of he eliminated services for people, cut taxes for companies, and let the GOP legislature do whatever they wanted.

He did if you look at it through the lens of he eliminated services for people, cut taxes for companies, and let the GOP legislature do whatever they wanted.
    Good point. He was highly successful at being terrible.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/08/s...imes&smtyp=cur

U.S. Women's Soccer Team Granted Class Status in Equal Pay Lawsuit

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/08/s...imes&smtyp=cur

U.S. Women's Soccer Team Granted Class Status in Equal Pay Lawsuit
    This is a good step in the direction.

There is more nuance to how soccer players are paid than just comparing the men v women for their national teams but nevertheless, this is the correct decision.

Peter King, Republican from Long Island, is retiring from Congress. He was for terrorism before he was against it, but is still only the second-worst Representative named King - and a very distant second, at that.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Peter King, Republican from Long Island, is retiring from Congress. He was for terrorism before he was against it, but is still only the second-worst Representative named King - and a very distant second, at that.
    Yeah I saw King was retiring and thought it was Steve King (Nazi-Iowa) and got excited befor clicking on the link.
    I always get confused when I see Stephen King tweets criticizing Trump because I first think it's the Iowa congressman before realizing it's the writer.
    I wonder how Steve feels about his favorite writer's political tweets? He doesn't post much around this section of the forums any more.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Steve makes Peter look ... semi ok.

Chesa Boudin was elected DA of San Francisco. He is the son of Kathy Boudin and David Gilbert. What a world. Seems like a good choice.

Thread Information