+ Reply to Thread
Page 387 of 387 FirstFirst ... 287 337 377 384 385 386 387
Results 9,651 to 9,671 of 9671

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodoo View Post
    Can you just answer my question?
    Itís a message board. People post their POV. No one is required to answer anyone elseís question. You obviously donít want to answer his.

Can you just answer my question?
    I'd like to but I don't know what it is you find confusing. I read these three stories about it this morning and I don't know what else there could be to know. Maybe you could read them and see if whatever is that's confusing you is addressed and get back to us. I've never much cared for her though so I don't plan on giving it much more of my time.

https://theintercept.com/2018/04/24/...utlets-ignore/

http://money.cnn.com/2018/04/25/medi...ine/index.html

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/38...snbcs-joy-reid
    Repeal the 2nd Amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Itís a message board. People post their POV. No one is required to answer anyone elseís question. You obviously donít want to answer his.
    Hers.

Boring jobs donít lead people to drink. Maybe take long lunch breaks and cut out early. Maybe play more golf. But increased alcohol consumption? I donít think so.
    I was being facetious. I thought the would indicate that.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    This article does a great job of laying out how Arizona got to where it is.

https://www.vox.com/2018/4/25/172762...t-funding-data

TL;DR
    Rhody, thank you for one more informative post.

The American democratic republic was founded on the thinking of the great 17th and 18th philosophers who recognized a basic truth: we are all mortal. As they conceived of how society could flourish and what givernmentís role in that should be, they recognized that education was essential for society to thrive. The reason is simple. People age and die. We need a constant stream of talent to replace those who are exiting the system. If we donít the society fails to thrive.

Unfortunately there is a certain strain of conservative thinking that regards education as a free service for the benefit of the individuals who receive it. It is not. It is a service as much for the benefit of society as trash removal, road maintenance, policing, etc. some people just donít get that and are therefore a danger to the public order. Arizona is obviously one of the places with too many of those people.

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I was being facetious. I thought the would indicate that.
    Sorry. Went over my head. Pretty dumb of me.

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Threadv

Hers.
    I stand corrected, madam.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/24/u...on-bureau.html

Mulvaney said to bankers, donate money and they will be heard. Drain the swamp? More like wet the swamp
    One more case of a Trump appointee working to thwart the purposes of the agency s/he was appointed to run.

These agencies are established as a matter of law. The purpose of the Consumer Protection Agency, for example, is to protect consumers. When an agency head works against the purpose(s) for which the agency was established, it seems to me that s/he is in violation of the law. No different than if a military officer works to lead his troops to defeat. Such an act would be treasonous.

Actions like Mulvaneyís should make him subject to arrest and prosecution.

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Quite the opposite. Cater put a lot of very inexperienced bureaucrats in place, and as a result, he retained entirely too much authority. A lot of actions either never occurred or were significantly delayed, because Carter didn't trust his team to make decisions. Rather than get short briefing papers on various subjects, he poured over very lengthy tomes so he could make all the decisions himself.

As President, he's in the lower strata. Terrible POTUS. The economy was a train wreck. The bureaucracy was a morass. He left the military badly depleted. He was well intended, but didn't generate any positive results. I suspect he was in over his head. However, as a HUMAN, and certainly as a Past President, he's in the very top strata. The man is a Saint.
    Well said.

Let me just add that not everything he did was a failure. Bringing peace to the Israel-Egypt relationship was a pretty major accomplishment.

Iím not sure if the stagflation of the late Ď70ís can all be hung around his neck.

Devoted Member

Hers.
    Evidently.
    If you can't change your mind, you can't change anything

Devoted Member

You stepped into that.
    If you can't change your mind, you can't change anything

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Wells Fargo just got hit with a $1,000,000,000 fine for defrauding their customers. How do they respond? By giving their executives a raise!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...for-executives

Wells Fargo just got hit with a $1,000,000,000 fine for defrauding their customers. How do they respond? By giving their executives a raise!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...for-executives
    i love the dramatic effect of writing out the number instead of just writing $1b. you should have added the .00
    kyle

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KLJ View Post
    i love the dramatic effect of writing out the number instead of just writing $1b. you should have added the .00
    Thanks for that insight and honest discussion of the issue at hand.

Can someone please clear up any confusion about whether Joy Reid is a homophobe?
    If by homophobe you mean despicable witch, incompetent journalist, shill for the Democratic Party, hates white people and lies through her teeth, then yes.

This article does a great job of laying out how Arizona got to where it is.

https://www.vox.com/2018/4/25/172762...t-funding-data

TL;DR
    That is good. Folks are tired of it. I'm fortunate enough to live in a very good, relatively affluent district that repeatedly passes bond measures. Our PTA still has to purchase our computer labs, but kids in poor districts have nothing. They have rundown buildings, decades-old books, not enough books, enormous class sizes, huge numbers of teacher vacancies, etc. It's like undeveloped countries, only we're the wealthiest country on earth. It's abominable.

Public education should be equal for ALL children. My kids aren't the only ones who deserve good schools. All children do. I can't fathom being selfish enough to think otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    If by homophobe you mean despicable witch, incompetent journalist, shill for the Democratic Party, hates white people and lies through her teeth, then yes.
    None of that is homophobic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill March
    Arizona is obviously one of the places with too many of those people.
    It is and it sucks, but some of us are trying to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Bernard View Post
    Oh, okay. Thanks for that. Iíll have to look it up in the dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Bernard View Post
    I've been hearing about some confusion.

I've been hearing about some confusion.

Good one!

Thread Information