+ Reply to Thread
Page 269 of 269 FirstFirst ... 169 219 259 266 267 268 269
Results 6,701 to 6,712 of 6712
  1. #6701
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    What do you propose to do about conversations people have in private?

    I can't believe we're having this conversation.
    It's not the private conversations that are the problem. It the intentionally "semi-private" ones.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  2. #6702

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Excellent point.

    So I guess it isn't the conversations that people are having that are the problem.
    Trivializing sexual assault helps to normalize the behavior in menís minds. The culture is the problem. The conversations are a result of the culture.

  3. #6703

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    A woman with whom he was having a consensual relationship.

    So again-- what did he do wrong?
    Married and one of those Christian Right family values guy.
    The presidency doesn't change who you are. It reveals who you are. First Lady Michelle Obama (2015)

  4. #6704

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    It's not the private conversations that are the problem. It the intentionally "semi-private" ones.
    As long as we agree private conversations are not the problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Bernard View Post
    Trivializing sexual assault helps to normalize the behavior in menís minds. The culture is the problem. The conversations are a result of the culture.
    Who is trivializing sexual assault? What the hell kind of conversations are you having at work?

    Quote Originally Posted by BRenninger View Post
    Married and one of those Christian Right family values guy.
    Separated, and still a consensual relationship.

    The woman releasing the pictures is the one at fault.

    Ever heard of 'revenge porn'?

    It's generally frowned upon.

  5. #6705

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    As long as we agree private conversations are not the problem.



    Who is trivializing sexual assault? What the hell kind of conversations are you having at work?



    Separated, and still a consensual relationship.

    The woman releasing the pictures is the one at fault.

    Ever heard of 'revenge porn'?

    It's generally frowned upon.
    Wow....Coffee. You really believe that?
    The presidency doesn't change who you are. It reveals who you are. First Lady Michelle Obama (2015)

  6. #6706

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BRenninger View Post
    Wow....Coffee. You really believe that?
    Anyone who threatens to-- and then posts publicly-- intimate pictures sent privately during the course of a relationship is a scumbag.

    What part of that could you possibly disagree with?

  7. #6707

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Actually, there was more than nothing. Demanding that employers enforce zero-tolerance policies for any type of harassment was mentioned. Not spending a dime on products or services from companies that sweep this type of disgusting behavior under the rug is another. Lauding the courage of women who have hopefully broken the barrier of silence is a third. Firing coworkers that stand around the watercooler publicly sharing actual or desired sexual conquests was a fourth. And firing managers who don't prevent that was a fifth. Massive civil lawsuits was a sixth. But yeah, nothing because some don't see this mythical world where people of both sexes stop talking about attractive coworkers in private because... well, because.
    Well, these are things that punish the perpetrator but are not so much about changing the culture. You're focusing on the malicious sexual harassers and they absolutely should lose their job. But sexual harassment can be very subtle, is not always devious and is often only recognized by the victim. In many cases, zero tolerance or extreme measures are not a solution that most women would want. Women don't want men to lose their jobs over low level offensives that make them uncomfortable. They just want it to stop. So with a zero tolerance policy they are less likely to report them. Men are also less likely to want to work side by side with women for fear of being reported for something small so it can actually add a layer of discrimination . That's why I have put so much emphasis on the importance of men becoming more aware of what women find offensive, accepting their perceptions as fact, and becoming involved when you witness it. We are only going to see real change when men as a group change the way they think about women. You seem to believe that men can belittle and demean women in private and not have it spill over into the public because...well because. I disagree.

  8. #6708

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Anyone who threatens to-- and then posts publicly-- intimate pictures sent privately during the course of a relationship is a scumbag.

    What part of that could you possibly disagree with?
    Yeah. Unless there's more to this, I'm not seeing her as the wronged party. He may have shown bad judgement but she may have committed a crime. I don't know anything about him politically but even if he's a super conservative, family values, religious guy, he's the victim here.

    On a side note, how many times does this need to happen before people learn that their dick pics, nudies and sex tapes might leak out some day and think a little harder before they hit send?

  9. #6709

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Well, these are things that punish the perpetrator but are not so much about changing the culture. You're focusing on the malicious sexual harassers and they absolutely should lose their job. But sexual harassment can be very subtle, is not always devious and is often only recognized by the victim. In many cases, zero tolerance or extreme measures are not a solution that most women would want. Women don't want men to lose their jobs over low level offensives that make them uncomfortable. They just want it to stop. So with a zero tolerance policy they are less likely to report them. Men are also less likely to want to work side by side with women for fear of being reported for something small so it can actually add a layer of discrimination . That's why I have put so much emphasis on the importance of men becoming more aware of what women find offensive, accepting their perceptions as fact, and becoming involved when you witness it. We are only going to see real change when men as a group change the way they think about women. You seem to believe that men can belittle and demean women in private and not have it spill over into the public because...well because. I disagree.
    The last part here is what Iíve been discussing. As I stated earlier itís difficult because men get defensive. I understand the pov. No one wants to believe theyíre engaging in damaging behavior. For some itís probably also a case that they enjoy acting this way and want no part of change. Fortunately the culture is changing and theyíll be forced to adapt or else.

  10. #6710
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I can't believe we're having this conversation.
    There is a solution to that.

  11. #6711

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Well, these are things that punish the perpetrator but are not so much about changing the culture. You're focusing on the malicious sexual harassers and they absolutely should lose their job. But sexual harassment can be very subtle, is not always devious and is often only recognized by the victim. In many cases, zero tolerance or extreme measures are not a solution that most women would want. Women don't want men to lose their jobs over low level offensives that make them uncomfortable. They just want it to stop. So with a zero tolerance policy they are less likely to report them. Men are also less likely to want to work side by side with women for fear of being reported for something small so it can actually add a layer of discrimination . That's why I have put so much emphasis on the importance of men becoming more aware of what women find offensive, accepting their perceptions as fact, and becoming involved when you witness it. We are only going to see real change when men as a group change the way they think about women. You seem to believe that men can belittle and demean women in private and not have it spill over into the public because...well because. I disagree.
    Saying you want to have sex with someone or that they look hot or whatever isn't belittling or demeaning.

    Trying to get men (and women) to not see each other in terms of sexuality goes against nature and is an exercise in futility. You're not going to change that. But you can regulate what is and isn't proper behavior at work.

    I can understand women not wanting someone to get fired over a low-level offense, so they don't report it. However, if it continues after they were asked to stop then absolutely it should be reported. To say that this policy is now a problem is only an excuse to shift all responsibility away from women. You're being given the solution to the problem-- use it.

    As for the bolded, what do you expect? In a time when people are finding offense at every turn and context and nuance is completely ignored, why would you want to put yourself in a situation like that? I wouldn't be surprised if it's happening with people of different races as well. I'm sure people are more hesitant to engage in conversations with people of other races now over fear of inadvertently offending someone than they were ten years ago. Why risk your career? You reap what you sow.

  12. #6712

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    On a side note, how many times does this need to happen before people learn that their dick pics, nudies and sex tapes might leak out some day and think a little harder before they hit send?
    *deletes PM*

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts