+ Reply to Thread
Page 478 of 523 FirstFirst ... 378 428 468 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 488 ... LastLast
Results 11,926 to 11,950 of 13061

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    I suppose it's just that I comprehend the argument, or at least a form of it, more with this issue than with many of the others you mentioned. There are issues I don't think can coherently be argued for, (pro slavery, anti-gay marriage, pro school segregation, anti-women voting), while I think the pro life perspective can coherently be argued for.
    There's the difference between our views then. I don't think there is a compelling argument to take away my right to choose. It's simply your personal belief system at work. I get that but I don't agree and so will continue to be dismissive of people trying to take my rights away be it abortion or my right to marry who I choose or my right to sit in the front of the bus.
    The feminist agenda ... encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians. ~Pat Robertson 1992

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I think the point Maynerd was making, which I understand you don't agree with, is that using language like "a parasitic collection of human tissue and DNA" does nothing to influence those on the other side of the ledger. In fact, it makes them more likely to resist seeing your POV. Now, I'm not sure how much using softer language will touch the hearts and minds of pro-lifers, but I'm pretty confident this is non-productive to counter-productive at best. That doesn't seem important to you, probably because you also doubt whether that matters or not. But if I were strategizing, I'd be less cynical towards the opposing POV even if that didn't move the needle much or at all.
    Well stated.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    There's the difference between our views then. I don't think there is a compelling argument to take away my right to choose. It's simply your personal belief system at work. I get that but I don't agree and so will continue to be dismissive of people trying to take my rights away be it abortion or my right to marry who I choose or my right to sit in the front of the bus.
    Yeah, I think naturally if you've considered and comprehend at least part of another perspective, you're going to be less dismissive of it, even if you ultimately disagree, as opposed to a perspective you've considered and determined to be based solely on racism or homophobia or religion. And note that I didn't necessarily say compelling--I said comprehensible.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbyi...n-random-black

Probe found Fla. police chief told officers to pin unsolved crimes on random black people: report

The police chief in a small Florida town is accused of encouraging his officers to pin unsolved crimes on random, nearby black people so the department would have a better arrest record, the Miami Herald reported Thursday.

Former Biscayne Park Chief Raimundo Atesiano and two officers, Raul Fernandez and Charlie Dayoub, have been charged with falsely accusing a black Haitian-American teenager — identified as T.D. — with burglaries to impress local officials in the village north of Miami Shores.

All have pleaded not guilty to the accusations. A trial date is set for later this month.
    "A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people."
    -- Declaration of Independence

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    The Fort Meyers Police Department has a real-life Farva from Super Troopers:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/offbe...ing/ar-AAzCutA

But apparently the officer wasn't convinced, pointing to dubious evidence:

Between that, and the fact that he tossed his only evidence out the window, this guy's never making Detective.
    But did he order a liter-a-cola?

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/11/62812...-investigation

House Republicans and outside conservative groups are rallying around Ohio GOP Rep. Jim Jordan as he fights off allegations that he was aware that the Ohio State team doctor was sexually abusing wrestlers more than 20 years ago — back when Jordan was an assistant coach.

Personal scandals often end political careers on Capitol Hill, but so far, House Republicans are rallying to Jordan's side, including House Speaker Paul Ryan — the man whose job Jordan hopes to take.

"Jim Jordan is a friend of mine," Ryan said. "We haven't always agreed with each other over the years but I have always known Jim Jordan to be a man of honesty and a man of integrity."
    I think I've read this story before...

Unshaken by Abuse Scandal, Conservatives Sticking w/ Donald Trump

Unshaken by Abuse Scandal, Conservatives Sticking w/ Roy Moore

Unshaken by Abuse Scandal, Conservatives Sticking w/ Blake Fahrenthold

Unshaken by Abuse Scandal, Conservatives Sticking w/ Eric Greitens

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    https://www.npr.org/2018/07/11/62812...-investigation

I think I've read this story before...

Unshaken by Abuse Scandal, Conservatives Sticking w/ Donald Trump

Unshaken by Abuse Scandal, Conservatives Sticking w/ Roy Moore

Unshaken by Abuse Scandal, Conservatives Sticking w/ Blake Fahrenthold

Unshaken by Abuse Scandal, Conservatives Sticking w/ Eric Greitens

I need a moment to let all this civility and pragmatic political centrism waft over me.

Jingoism is not Patriotism

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/12/62851...paul-ryans-car

A Family Of Woodchucks Ate Paul Ryan's Car

"A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people."

I'm posting this here rather than in the Trump thread to underscore the fact that this doesn't implicate Trump or anyone in his campaign in the slightest. But it's a very big deal.

Mueller indicts twelve Russian officers on charges of hacking into DNC and other computers.

Count One charges eleven defendants for conspiring to access computers without authorization, and to cause damage to those computers, in connection with efforts to steal documents and release them in order to interfere with the election.

Counts Two through Nine charge eleven defendants with aggravated identity theft by employing the usernames and passwords of other persons to commit computer fraud.

Count Ten charges the eleven conspirators with money laundering by transferring cryptocurrencies through a web of transactions in order to purchase computer servers, register domains, and make other payments in furtherance of their hacking activities, while trying to conceal their identities and their links to the Russian government.

Count Eleven charges two defendants for a separate conspiracy to access computers without authorization, and to cause damage to those computers, in connection with efforts to infiltrate computers used to conduct elections.

Finally, a forfeiture allegation seeks the forfeiture of property involved in the criminal activity.

There is no allegation in this indictment that any American citizen committed a crime. There is no allegation that the conspiracy altered the vote count or changed any election result.
    https://www.justice.gov/opa/speech/d...ictment-twelve
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I'm posting this here rather than in the Trump thread to underscore the fact that this doesn't implicate Trump or anyone in his campaign in the slightest. But it's a very big deal.

Mueller indicts twelve Russian officers on charges of hacking into DNC and other computers.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/speech/d...ictment-twelve
    COINCIDENTALLY, a bunch of gop reps are now trying to impeach Rosenstein. Not Drumpf. Rosenstein.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pol...achment-719816

House conservatives are preparing a new push to oust Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, according to three conservative Capitol Hill sources — putting the finishing touches on an impeachment filing even as Rosenstein announced the indictment of 12 Russian intelligence officers for interfering in the 2016 election.

House Freedom Caucus Chairman Mark Meadows, in fact, had the impeachment document on the floor of the House at the very moment that Rosenstein spoke to reporters and TV cameras Friday.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    COINCIDENTALLY, a bunch of gop reps are now trying to impeach Rosenstein. Not Drumpf. Rosenstein.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pol...achment-719816
    Doesn't matter as the Senate would never vote to remove him. It's just another desperate attempt to muddy the waters.

Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
    Doesn't matter as the Senate would never vote to remove him. It's just another desperate attempt to muddy the waters.
    Yup, it's all BS.

NYYF Legend

Awwwww, but think of all the neat hearings we will have as they make complete fools of themselves.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Awwwww, but think of all the neat hearings we will have as they make complete fools of themselves.
    I’m not sure they’ll ever be able to top the Strzok hearing. Rosenstein does strike me as unflappable, though, and will allow them to make complete fools of themselves at every opportunity.

I know but it's so utterly ridiculous.

I’m not sure they’ll ever be able to top the Strzok hearing. Rosenstein does strike me as unflappable, though, and will allow them to make complete fools of themselves at every opportunity.
    Rosenstein is a badass. Who knew?!
    The feminist agenda ... encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians. ~Pat Robertson 1992

Rosenstein is a badass. Who knew?!
    Obviously, he's a lot smarter and probably tougher than any of those congressmen.

https://www.law.com/nationallawjourn...20180619153728

In a dramatic move Thursday, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell withdrew the nomination of President Donald Trump’s pick for the Ninth Circuit, Ryan Bounds, after reports surfaced that his nomination didn’t have enough votes for confirmation.

Bounds, an assistant U.S. attorney in Oregon for the last eight years, was the Trump administration’s first nominee to the Ninth Circuit, named in September to replace Judge Diarmuid O’Scannlain, for whom Bounds clerked. O’Scannlain took senior status at the end of
    Chris Murphy Verified account@ChrisMurphyCT

Don’t give Republicans too much credit here. Up until the very last minute they were ready to give a lifetime appellate court post to a guy who thinks that black students shouldn’t be able to organize on campuses: “They divide up by race for their feel good ethnic hoedowns”.

Black students have hoedowns?

Black students have hoedowns?
    ANY students have hoedowns?

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Emma Platoff @emmaplatoff

A 10-year-old from Honduras describes her experience in federal custody (from a court filing)

More stories in thread: https://twitter.com/emmaplatoff/stat...06065868607489

Still monsters.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    ANY students have hoedowns?
    Only as an ironic frat party, I'd imagine.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

More stories in thread: https://twitter.com/emmaplatoff/stat...06065868607489

Still monsters.
    Still? Always.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/23/polit...ity/index.html

A federal judge in Alexandria, Virginia, has granted the request for five witnesses to testify with immunity in the criminal trial of former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort. US District Judge T.S. Ellis is also ordering the government to tell Manafort's team the nearly 30 witnesses they are going to use in the trial.
    Manafort appeared in person at Monday's hearing, wearing a green jumpsuit with a rumpled collar.
    Noooooo! Not a rumpled collar!

Thread Information