+ Reply to Thread
Page 253 of 269 FirstFirst ... 153 203 243 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 263 ... LastLast
Results 6,301 to 6,325 of 6712
    Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    In other words, they were claiming someone was innocent until proven guilty.
    No. They were saying someone was not guilty of the crimes you were accusing them of.

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Anyway, back to Roy Moore. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-victims-judge

Roy Moore challenged the scope of an Alabama law that protects rape victims while serving as the most senior judge on the state’s highest court, according to a review of records.

As chief justice of Alabama’s supreme court, Moore twice argued that the state’s “rape shield” law should not prevent alleged sex offenders from using certain evidence about their underage accusers’ personal lives to discredit them.
    Among Moore’s 10 dissents was the case of David Pittman, who had pleaded guilty to the rape of a 12-year-old girl. Moore in September 2015 said that Pittman ought to have been allowed to present evidence to court indicating that the girl had been sexually active and had a sexually transmitted disease.
    The rape-shield law also arose in the case of Sherman Tate, a school mentor who was convicted of coercing two 15-year-old female students to touch him sexually. Moore argued in June 2014 that attorneys for Tate should have been allowed to tell jurors that he believed the girls were bisexual and in a relationship together.
    Eric Higdon, a daycare center intern convicted of raping a four-year-old boy and accused of assaulting several other young children. Moore in July 2015 said “sodomy is an abhorrent crime and should be strictly punished” but argued the evidence did not support a lower court’s finding that Higdon had assaulted a child using “forcible compulsion”.

NYYF Legend

Wow. I repeat. If Moore is on the bench (highly doubtful) I give up on politics
    SJW - bad attempt at insulting people that care about other's rights and not just their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Did he let that last defendant introduce evidence that the 4-year-old was slutty?

NYYF Legend

In other words, they were claiming someone was innocent until proven guilty.
    Again there is the court of public opinion and the legal court system.

The two are very different and have different standards.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

He's always been a despicable human being. It's just getting publicity now.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

I have zero qualms about calling Roy Moore what he is: trash.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    I have zero qualms about calling Roy Moore what he is: trash.
    Trash you can get rid of.

He's a f'n pervert, a predator, and a pedophile. Let's call it how it is.
    ”What people call love is just a chemical reaction that compels animals to breed. It hits hard, Morty, then it slowly fades.”

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Once he’s appointed, you can’t just say he’s not needed anymore. And finding cause won’t be so easy, especially with Mueller, who is the straightest of straight arrows.
    Who needs to find the cause? The AG in that scenario? With "cause" defined that broadly, I tend to think you could find cause on any person if you really wanted to.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    Who needs to find the cause? The AG in that scenario? With "cause" defined that broadly, I tend to think you could find cause on any person if you really wanted to.
    Trump really wants to, but I don’t know if he’ll find someone else in DOJ venal enough to do it. Mueller is extremely respected, and the Senate won’t like it one bit. Basically, I think it would be career suicide for any lawyer.

Trump really wants to, but I don’t know if he’ll find someone else in DOJ venal enough to do it. Mueller is extremely respected, and the Senate won’t like it one bit. Basically, I think it would be career suicide for any lawyer.
    I agree it might not be easy, but there must be SOMEONE willing to do it out there.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    I agree it might not be easy, but there must be SOMEONE willing to do it out there.
    My point was that it’s not as easy as "Sessions leaves, new AG fires Mueller." I think firing Mueller, while not theoretically impossible, will not happen, period.

Did he let that last defendant introduce evidence that the 4-year-old was slutty?
    I'm wondering how the 15 year olds being bisexual and in a relationship would have anything to do with some adult perv asking them to touch his wiener.

I'm wondering how the 15 year olds being bisexual and in a relationship would have anything to do with some adult perv asking them to touch his wiener.
    They’re sluts and perverts. QED.

NYYF Legend

There were a lot of people doing exactly that in the 2016 elections.
    Well played Vladimir.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism

NYYF Legend

It's the universally recognized legal principle of "whaddaboutism". Sheesh.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    It's the universally recognized legal principle of "whaddaboutism". Sheesh.
    I know. It just royally pisses me off. This jagoffasaurus basically thought it was OK to rape a 12 year old because she might have had sex before. WTF?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Trash you can get rid of.

He's a f'n pervert, a predator, and a pedophile. Let's call it how it is.
    Wait a second. Did you just agree with me?

Sean Hannity was brought up here yesterday. Today vox has a breakdown of how fall he's fallen and how much of his show is now in featuring conspiracy theories. Not particularly scientific and not at all surprising to me at least but interesting nonetheless and anyone that turns to him for "news" might want to reconsider.

https://www.vox.com/2017/11/15/16649...ranscript-data
    I analyzed the past two years of transcripts from Hannity, his Fox News program that airs every weeknight, and found a show that peddles conspiracy theories more than any other news show in the US. Hannity often mirrors the language of online conspiracy forums, and it's only gotten more frequent since Hannity's friend and fellow conspiracy theorist Donald Trump became president.

I measured this by analyzing the overlap between Hannity’s show and the top posts from Reddit's /r/conspiracy forum. (More on the methodology at the bottom of this post.)

This data is even more astounding if you consider that Hannity is a one-hour show airing only on weekdays, while many of the other top shows, like MSNBC Live and CNN's New Day, air for multiple hours each day.

Now, just because a show appears on this list doesn't mean it peddled conspiracy theories. For example, if the president tweets out a conspiracy theory and the program covers it, then the show would make an appearance on this list. That said, there's only so much you can talk about a conspiracy theory before you cross the line into legitimizing it.

That's what Hannity does. He takes conspiracy theories and gives them a platform; he encourages his viewers to distrust their ears, because the media and liberals are collaborating to mislead Americans.

But here's the kicker: There's evidence from Hannity's past that shows he doesn't even care if these theories are true; all he cares about is whether they feel true to his viewers, because that’s all that matters at the ballot box.

NYYF Cy Young

Sean Hannity was brought up here yesterday. Today vox has a breakdown of how fall he's fallen and how much of his show is now in featuring conspiracy theories. Not particularly scientific and not at all surprising to me at least but interesting nonetheless and anyone that turns to him for "news" might want to reconsider.

https://www.vox.com/2017/11/15/16649...ranscript-data
    Hannity going the Alex Jones route.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Hannity going the Alex Jones route.
    What's scary is the more out there he gets, the more money he and Fox make.

10 years ago he was just a conservative guy with an opinion show. I disagreed with him, but it was like how I disagree with Jeff Flake. He's gotten progressively (heh heh) more fringy as time has gone on and now he's peddling in pathetic conspiracy theories all while his audience has grown.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    What's scary is the more out there he gets, the more money he and Fox make.

10 years ago he was just a conservative guy with an opinion show. I disagreed with him, but it was like how I disagree with Jeff Flake. He's gotten progressively (heh heh) more fringy as time has gone on and now he's peddling in pathetic conspiracy theories all while his audience has grown.
    Yeah. I used to actually enjoy his radio show years ago. I rarely agreed with him but it's good to hear other points of view. It was a great distraction during my commute. I also liked Hannity & Colmes for a while. Now he's just another nutjob.

I’ve been saying this about Hannity since we started talking politics again. Whackadoodle.
    ”What people call love is just a chemical reaction that compels animals to breed. It hits hard, Morty, then it slowly fades.”

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

http://wkrg.com/2017/11/14/curious-r...tion-on-moore/

Curious Robocall Seeks ‘Damaging’ Information On Moore
    At least one person in our viewing area received a robocall seeking more damaging information about Roy Moore. Here is the text of that voicemail message received by Pastor Al Moore in Creola.

“Hi, this is Bernie Bernstein, I’m a reporter for the Washington Post calling to find out if anyone at this address is a female between the ages of 54 to 57 years old willing to make damaging remarks about candidate Roy Moore for a reward of between $5000 and $7000 dollars. We will not be fully investigating these claims however we will make a written report. I can be reached by email at albernstein@washingtonpost.com, thank you.”
    These people have no shame. Also, very subtle use of one of the "Jewiest" names they could think of to play one of those terrible Washington Post reporters.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    http://wkrg.com/2017/11/14/curious-r...tion-on-moore/

These people have no shame. Also, very subtle use of one of the "Jewiest" names they could think of to play one of those terrible Washington Post reporters.
    Yeah, I thought "Bernie Bernstein" was a hilarious touch.

Meanwhile, Rush Limbaugh's incisive commentary cuts straight to the important part of the story:

“Did you know that before 1992, when a lot of this was going on, that Judge Moore was a Democrat?” Limbaugh said on his radio show. “Nobody said a word.”

“When he supposedly was attracted to inappropriately-aged girls — he was a Democrat,” Limbaugh added.
    http://thehill.com/homenews/media/36...ct-allegations
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Thread Information