+ Reply to Thread
Page 382 of 382 FirstFirst ... 282 332 372 379 380 381 382
Results 9,526 to 9,536 of 9536

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    I was going to mention this but held back and am glad you brought it up first ... she is not an "ideologically pure" Democrat. I know the HuffPost/DailyKos crowd consider her something of an apostate. But ideological purity is part of why Democrats lose so damned much.

Kind of like the alleged conversation between LBJ and Hubert Humphrey in the 1950s when LBJ, Senate majority leader, bottled up a piece of civil rights legislation Humphrey was pushing but LBJ thought was too sweeping and politically dangerous. Hubert, you're from Minnesota and I'm from Texas. How can I help you if I don't get re-elected?

If elected, I think you'll see some degree of left-swing from her. Not Gillibrand-like -- she's from Arizona, not New York -- but some. Just my guess.
    She's not just ideologically impure. She really is a Republican who calls herself a Democrat.

I hope you're correct about the swing to the left if she manages to win.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I hate just about everything that Scott Pruitt does (or thinks, or is). But I think it’s kind of hilarious, in a twisted sort of way, that he spent $43,000 on a Cone of Silence.
    Yeah, my first thought when I saw that was "I wonder how much the shoe phone cost."

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...d-women-218005

Women in an exodus from Central America since 2014 have succeeded in winning asylum or other protections in the United States as victims of a pandemic of domestic abuse in that region. Because of recent cases that established fear of domestic violence as a legitimate basis for asylum, those claims often found more solid legal grounding in U.S. immigration court than claims of people who said they were escaping from killer gangs.

Now the Trump administration, determined to stop the stream of people to the border from Central America, is moving to curtail or close the legal avenues to protection for abused women like L.C. While the #MeToo movement has swept the country, bringing new legitimacy to women’s stories and consequences for men who abused, on immigration President Donald Trump is going the other way.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions, from his position as the top official in charge of the immigration courts, is leading a broad review to question whether domestic or sexual violence should ever be recognized as persecution that would justify protection in the United States.
    Repeal the 2nd Amendment.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...imination-cfpb

The GOP is about to scrap safeguards that stop auto lenders from discriminating based on race

The Senate on Wednesday voted to get rid of a consumer protection measure meant to stop car dealers from charging more for car loans based on race. And the vote is just the start of lawmakers’ attempts to target years of federal agencies’ decisions through the Congressional Review Act, the GOP’s new favorite deregulatory toy.

Senators voted 51-47 in favor of a resolution introduced by Sen. Jerry Moran (R-KS) that would undo the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s auto lending guidance meant to cut down on discrimination. The guidance targets “dealer markups,” where car dealers charge additional interest on top of what third-party lenders charge.
    I mean, why?

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure what will actually come of it but good for them. Alex Jones is a cancerous tumor.
    cancerous tutors everywhere are insulted.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...imination-cfpb

The GOP is about to scrap safeguards that stop auto lenders from discriminating based on race

I mean, why?
    This is what happens when a demagogue gets into power. This is what you need to remember when a chowderhead asks says "Just relax. It's not the end of the world" about Trump.

They hide behind the collective's ignorance to do their deed. It'll get rolled back. Some day. But this is just terrible.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    cancerous tutors everywhere are insulted.
    They deserve good healthcare. They're teaching our kids.

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    This is what happens when a demagogue gets into power. This is what you need to remember when a chowderhead asks says "Just relax. It's not the end of the world" about Trump.

They hide behind the collective's ignorance to do their deed. It'll get rolled back. Some day. But this is just terrible.
    Indeed. On what planet is this acceptable? It makes me so angry. It is a big deal. It's a huge deal. I hope that good folks will get off their butts and vote -- and aren't blocked from doing so -- in November. I hope.

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

So I'm in Washington DC right now to meet with Congress people from my state to discuss drinking water issues. We are walking down the hall in one of the Senate buildings and someone pushes past me in a rush. I look up and who is it? Bernie Sanders! I felt kind of like I was seeing a rock star. He seemed in a rush to get to the bathroom or else I would have stopped him to ask for a pic!
    2017 - Better than expected!

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    She's not just ideologically impure. She really is a Republican who calls herself a Democrat.
    Serious hypothetical: If you could be in charge of the Democratic Party, would your druthers be to find a "properly progressive" candidate to primary-challenge Jon Tester in Montana? I wouldn't. Not in a million years.

I can remember when the Democratic Party boasted (with plenty of justification) that it was the "Big Tent" party. Seems like a long long time ago.

So I had the unfortunate experience of hearing a few minutes of Laura Ingraham today and during the segment she was lambasting men who wear make-up (the feminization of men or something like that) and yet she loves our orange president. Go figure?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/18/polit...les/index.html
    In a rare move, the Senate on Wednesday night voted to change longstanding rules to allow newborns -- for the first time -- onto the Senate floor during votes.

"By ensuring that no Senator will be prevented from performing their constitutional responsibilities simply because they have a young child, the Senate is leading by example and sending the important message that working parents everywhere deserve family-friendly workplace policies," Duckworth said in a statement after the vote.
    Great take on this here.

But what if there are 10 babies on the floor of the Senate?”
    This was the question posed by Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT), in a discussion over whether children under age 1 ought to be allowed inside the Senate chamber during votes.
    But let’s take Hatch’s question seriously for a moment: What if we did live in a world where there were 10 babies on the Senate floor, all brought there during votes, presumably by their senator parents?
    The Senate would no doubt be a little noisier. The Capitol Architect’s office may even need to look into increasing the number of lactation rooms on Capitol Hill to accommodate the new patrons.

A world where 10 babies were on the Senate floor presumably is a world where there are more women serving in the Senate — as we know that in most households where both parents work, women still take care of the majority of child care responsibilities. That certainly sounds like a good thing: Currently, 21 women serve in the Senate. Only 50 women have served in the Senate in the body’s entire history.

A world where 10 babies were on the Senate floor might encourage more women to run for government — understanding that they could have a bright future in a government that supports working women and thinks it’s worth making reasonable accommodations to allow them to work.

A world where 10 babies were on the Senate floor might require better financing of day care services, where the waitlist currently stands at “several” years.

A world where 10 babies were on the Senate floor might be one where men are taking a more active role in parenting. Men, too, have babies while they serve in the Senate — you just don’t hear nearly as much about it. Allowing these men to also bring their babies onto the Senate floor would give dads an easier chance to share child care equitably with their partners. Economists who study the gender pay gap think this equal division of labor is key to ensuring that women are able to get paid just as much as men.

Come to think of it, a world with 10 babies on the Senate floor doesn’t sound so bad at all.

Repeal the 2nd Amendment.

Thread Information