+ Reply to Thread
Page 872 of 872 FirstFirst ... 372 772 822 862 869 870 871 872
Results 21,776 to 21,782 of 21782
    not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    As I recall, the time when the tax rate for the rich was very high (nothing obscene about it) was a time of huge economic expansion and the high-water mark for the middle class.
    Yup. Often this is ignored.

It was also a time when Unions were far stronger.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Hope is eternal

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    First, you've skewed the dishwasher/chef conversation. The dishwasher is asking for more than $7.25. 12? 15? I have no idea why anyone on the chef staff would even slightly insert himself in that conversation. Prior to the dishwasher getting a raise, you were presumably satisfied with where you were. Why start pouting now? Or over "someone else" got loan forgiveness, but I didn't? I thought the hallmark of libertarianism was self-reliance and independence. "Hey, that's not fair!" and nosing into someone else's wages suggests the 180 degree opposite.

But I'd love to hear what qualifies as "contributing to society." Do you have to be employed? Have to have a degree? Can the grunt jobs be contributing to society?

My best real world example of "what a job is worth" is maybe best conveyed through the hotel industry. We all know what qualifies as a "nice hotel." It's clean. That's it. That's the overwhelming factor in whether you would stay there again, recommend it to someone else, pay a little more, etc . The continental breakfast and whatever is just add-ons.
    But the reality of hotels- 5 star, dump or otherwise- is that someone else slept in your bed. And used your shower. Multiple someone elses. And, no gentler way to put this, at some time there were semen stains in that room and vomit in the bathroom. No way around it. Rich people do that stuff, too. In between that time and when you stayed there, the best hotels create the illusion that no such thing ever took place. More specifically, the Guatemalan woman that you left $2 for made that happen. Mr. Marriott didn't do it and would never do it. But he's rich because of it.

You keep trying to frame the whole "should rich people pay more" conversation as if the rest of us are jealous or nosy or otherwise and it's not even a little bit true. I don't inherently care how much money a person has. But, oddly enough, I find out who the billionaires are no matter what I do and it's impressed on me that I should recognize these people as some kind of titans. But I won't. And I won't call them self-made when there are 1000s of puke cleaners and window washers protecting the name or the brand. I will only judge that person on what happens next. And if a person with 10 lifetimes of wealth has an employee rationing insulin, that person is not only not contributing to society, he is leaching off of it.
    I think the libertarians would refer to Mr. Marriot as a smart businessman the person who cleans the vomit up because Mr. Marriott won’t pay him or her a “moocher” for needing public assistance while she or he works two full time jobs.
    Thankful to be a fan of a big market team

Oh, and I have one new revenue source for “Who’s going to pay for it”. The Catholic Church loses its tax exempt status yesterday.

Hope is eternal

I still am amazed at how the question of paying for it only comes up in certain situations

Oh, and I have one new revenue source for “Who’s going to pay for it”. The Catholic Church loses its tax exempt status yesterday.
    The decades (or centuries) of systematically covering up felonies make it plausible to prosecute the Church as a criminal enterprise under RICO. Let them cop a plea for a few billion dollars in fines - easily covered by the sale of a couple of pieces of art and a little real estate. They’d never miss it.

Hope is eternal

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/24/b...imes&smtyp=cur

It has never been easier to be CEO in America. And the pay keeps rising too

First, you've skewed the dishwasher/chef conversation. The dishwasher is asking for more than $7.25. 12? 15? I have no idea why anyone on the chef staff would even slightly insert himself in that conversation. Prior to the dishwasher getting a raise, you were presumably satisfied with where you were. Why start pouting now? Or over "someone else" got loan forgiveness, but I didn't? I thought the hallmark of libertarianism was self-reliance and independence. "Hey, that's not fair!" and nosing into someone else's wages suggests the 180 degree opposite.

But I'd love to hear what qualifies as "contributing to society." Do you have to be employed? Have to have a degree? Can the grunt jobs be contributing to society?

My best real world example of "what a job is worth" is maybe best conveyed through the hotel industry. We all know what qualifies as a "nice hotel." It's clean. That's it. That's the overwhelming factor in whether you would stay there again, recommend it to someone else, pay a little more, etc . The continental breakfast and whatever is just add-ons.
    But the reality of hotels- 5 star, dump or otherwise- is that someone else slept in your bed. And used your shower. Multiple someone elses. And, no gentler way to put this, at some time there were semen stains in that room and vomit in the bathroom. No way around it. Rich people do that stuff, too. In between that time and when you stayed there, the best hotels create the illusion that no such thing ever took place. More specifically, the Guatemalan woman that you left $2 for made that happen. Mr. Marriott didn't do it and would never do it. But he's rich because of it.

You keep trying to frame the whole "should rich people pay more" conversation as if the rest of us are jealous or nosy or otherwise and it's not even a little bit true. I don't inherently care how much money a person has. But, oddly enough, I find out who the billionaires are no matter what I do and it's impressed on me that I should recognize these people as some kind of titans. But I won't. And I won't call them self-made when there are 1000s of puke cleaners and window washers protecting the name or the brand. I will only judge that person on what happens next. And if a person with 10 lifetimes of wealth has an employee rationing insulin, that person is not only not contributing to society, he is leaching off of it.
    Goddamn, I'm inspired. Excellent freaking post.

All churches but yes, particularly that one. They've plundered so much over the centuries.

Thread Information