+ Reply to Thread
Page 824 of 832 FirstFirst ... 324 724 774 814 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 ... LastLast
Results 20,576 to 20,600 of 20791
  1. #20576
    Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi3 View Post
    [/b]

    Phil never fails.....

    Was it Islamophobia that motivated the Bernie bro who attempted ti kill Scalise ?
    Squirrel!

    Louis Gohmert one-upped his usual dunce hat and said that this should have been settled in court

  2. #20577
    Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada's basement

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Man_With_No_Plan View Post
    Anyone blaming Trump or Republicans for this shooting really needs to re-evaluate things. That is a startlingly dangerous mindset to have. I think Mark David Chapman blamed his shooting of John Lennon on the Catcher in the Rye. Should JD Salinger have been held responsible? Blaming Trump for this is equally ridiculous.
    So you're saying, don't view Trump's own words and actions within the context of this shooting, and in particular because the mass murderer's manifesto pointed to Donald Trump's white nationalism as a source of inspiration?

    Thanks for clearing that up for everybody. This board's much healthier for your perspective.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

  3. #20578

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    So you're saying, don't view Trump's own words and actions within the context of this shooting, and in particular because the mass murderer's manifesto pointed to Donald Trump's white nationalism as a source of inspiration?

    Thanks for clearing that up for everybody. This board's much healthier for your perspective.
    If I went out and committed a heinous crime like this crime and said, "it was that last ojo post. When ojo sarcastically claimed that I cleared everything up, it just sent me over the edge." Would that be your fault? Or would I be a lunatic?

  4. #20579

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    So you're saying, don't view Trump's own words and actions within the context of this shooting, and in particular because the mass murderer's manifesto pointed to Donald Trump's white nationalism as a source of inspiration?

    Thanks for clearing that up for everybody. This board's much healthier for your perspective.
    Trump: it’s not my fault that some nut job felt inspired by my anti-Muslim and anti-immigrant stance decided to go off the deep end and start killing Muslims in their house of worship.

  5. #20580
    Administrator Bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    The Boonies

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jburke View Post
    Nope its true. Nobody has been able to prove that the warming since the little ice age is caused by humans and not just a natural cycle.
    False. The scientific community is close to 100% certainty that humans are causing global warming, with every major institution studying climate related science around the world in agreement. For climate change deniers such as yourself there is nothing that would give you 100% certainty, even if the Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets completely melted in the next 10 years and you were standing up to your ass in water on top of Mr. Ararat. Anything to protect the fossil fuel industry and those politicians who are in their pockets.
    Let the kids play.

  6. #20581
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi3 View Post
    [/b]

    Phil never fails.....

    Was it Islamophobia that motivated the Bernie bro who attempted ti kill Scalise ?
    Is Steve Scalise a muslim? Why would islamaphobia have anything to do with that nut job's crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Man_With_No_Plan View Post
    Anyone blaming Trump or Republicans for this shooting really needs to re-evaluate things. That is a startlingly dangerous mindset to have. I think Mark David Chapman blamed his shooting of John Lennon on the Catcher in the Rye. Should JD Salinger have been held responsible? Blaming Trump for this is equally ridiculous.
    Argument falls apart because it's directly contradicted by the shooter.

    The shooting was carried out by at least one gunman who posted on online “manifesto” stating white supremacist viewpoints and naming prominent Donald Trump supporter and right-wing American media personality Candace Owens as the person who most inspired him to commit acts of violence.

    He also praised Trump himself “as a symbol of renewed white identity and common purpose.”

  7. #20582
    Hope is eternal
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Words matter. When you call the media the enemy of the people, media folk are targeted (twice now) when you spew hate and bigotry at Muslims and Mexicans this happens. Words matter. There are people that will listen too literally
    Thankful to be a fan of a big market team

  8. #20583

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Words matter. When you call the media the enemy of the people, media folk are targeted (twice now) when you spew hate and bigotry at Muslims and Mexicans this happens. Words matter. There are people that will listen too literally
    I guess some of us don’t believe words matter unless they’re spoken by some politician they don’t agree with like AOC.

  9. #20584
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I guess some of us don’t believe words matter unless they’re spoken by some politician they don’t agree with like AOC.
    Or Ilhan Omar.

  10. #20585
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Man_With_No_Plan View Post
    Anyone blaming Trump or Republicans for this shooting really needs to re-evaluate things. That is a startlingly dangerous mindset to have. I think Mark David Chapman blamed his shooting of John Lennon on the Catcher in the Rye. Should JD Salinger have been held responsible? Blaming Trump for this is equally ridiculous.

    The gun control debate is a whole separate issue and certainly something that should be discussed. I think there's some credence to the idea of politicians hiding behind "thoughts and prayers" because they're scared to make an actual change, so AOC's tactic could be effective here. She's a lot like Trump in that way where it's refreshing for people to hear things said that most politicians would be afraid to say.
    I don't blame Trump for this. But he sure has added fuel to the fire over the last 3+ years with his rhetoric.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  11. #20586

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    And, not that most people need to have this distinction made for them, the difference between Trump’s words and everyone else’s is nearly everyone else would change tone if they thought violence was inspired by their words.

    Trump’s words are absolutely connected to the Quebec mosque bomber, Florida mail bomber, Pittsburgh synagogue shooter and yesterday’s terrorist, but it’s been less than 24 hours since he suggested violence and did so while linking to a racist website.

  12. #20587
    Hope is eternal
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I guess some of us don’t believe words matter unless they’re spoken by some politician they don’t agree with like AOC.
    Yes

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Or Ilhan Omar.
    And yes
    Thankful to be a fan of a big market team

  13. #20588

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Argument falls apart because it's directly contradicted by the shooter.
    No no, that's my exact argument. Just as MDC blamed Salinger, this lunatic blamed Trump. Salinger and Trump are equally guilty. Or do you believe Salinger should've been held responsible for John Lennon's shooting? That would at least be consistent.

  14. #20589

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Or Ilhan Omar.
    Or any other politician they don’t agree with.

  15. #20590
    Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada's basement

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Man_With_No_Plan View Post
    No no, that's my exact argument. Just as MDC blamed Salinger, this lunatic blamed Trump. Salinger and Trump are equally guilty. Or do you believe Salinger should've been held responsible for John Lennon's shooting? That would at least be consistent.
    You should enroll in the Maynerd School fo False Equivalency. Cuz that was terrible.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

  16. #20591

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Words matter. When you call the media the enemy of the people, media folk are targeted (twice now) when you spew hate and bigotry at Muslims and Mexicans this happens. Words matter. There are people that will listen too literally
    You don't want to go down this rabbit hole, because a better argument would be the news media who twists Trump's words to make him seem like a monster (or, at the very least, MORE of a monster) are more responsible than Trump himself is. Obviously that's not true either, but blaming Trump is just silly.

  17. #20592

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Man_With_No_Plan View Post
    No no, that's my exact argument. Just as MDC blamed Salinger, this lunatic blamed Trump. Salinger and Trump are equally guilty. Or do you believe Salinger should've been held responsible for John Lennon's shooting? That would at least be consistent.
    Wow!

  18. #20593

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    This dropped yesterday but with the white supremacist terror attack in NZ, it seems particular relevant today.

    White Nationalism’s Deep American Roots
    A long-overdue excavation of the book that Hitler called his “bible,” and the man who wrote it

    The seed of Nazism’s ultimate objective—the preservation of a pure white race, uncontaminated by foreign blood—was in fact sown with striking success in the United States. What is judged extremist today was once the consensus of a powerful cadre of the American elite, well-connected men who eagerly seized on a false doctrine of “race suicide” during the immigration scare of the early 20th century. They included wealthy patricians, intellectuals, lawmakers, even several presidents. Perhaps the most important among them was a blue blood with a very impressive mustache, Madison Grant. He was the author of a 1916 book called The Passing of the Great Race, which spread the doctrine of race purity all over the globe.

    Grant’s purportedly scientific argument that the exalted “Nordic” race that had founded America was in peril, and all of modern society’s accomplishments along with it, helped catalyze nativist legislators in Congress to pass comprehensive restrictionist immigration policies in the early 1920s. His book went on to become Adolf Hitler’s “bible,” as the führer wrote to tell him. Grant’s doctrine has since been rejuvenated and rebranded by his ideological descendants as “white genocide” (the term genocide hadn’t yet been coined in Grant’s day). In an introduction to the 2013 edition of another of Grant’s works, the white nationalist Richard Spencer warns that “one possible outcome of the ongoing demographic transformation is a thoroughly miscegenated, and thus homogeneous and ‘assimilated,’ nation, which would have little resemblance to the White America that came before it.” This language is vintage Grant.
    Yet historical amnesia, the excision of the memory of how the seed of racism in America blossomed into the Third Reich in Europe, has allowed Grantism to be resurrected with a new name. In the conflict between the Trump administration and its opponents, those rival American principles of exclusion and pluralism confront each other more starkly than they have since Grant’s own time. And the ideology that has gained ground under Trump may well not disappear when Trump does. Grant’s philosophical framework has found new life among extremists at home and abroad, and echoes of his rhetoric can be heard from the Republican base and the conservative media figures the base trusts, as well as—once again—in the highest reaches of government.
    Socialism is their name for anything that helps all the people. ~Harry Truman

  19. #20594

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    You should enroll in the Maynerd School fo False Equivalency. Cuz that was terrible.
    It's a lunatic blaming someone for his crime. The only thing laughable is that you realize how ridiculous it would be to blame Salinger for Lennon's death, but not how ridiculous it is to blame Trump for the 49 deaths today.

  20. #20595

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Man_With_No_Plan View Post
    It's a lunatic blaming someone for his crime. The only thing laughable is that you realize how ridiculous it would be to blame Salinger for Lennon's death, but not how ridiculous it is to blame Trump for the 49 deaths today.
    There is a difference between blaming Trump and recognizing that his words contribute to the white nationalism that is on the rise here and around the world.
    Socialism is their name for anything that helps all the people. ~Harry Truman

  21. #20596
    Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada's basement

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Man_With_No_Plan View Post
    It's a lunatic blaming someone for his crime. The only thing laughable is that you realize how ridiculous it would be to blame Salinger for Lennon's death, but not how ridiculous it is to blame Trump for the 49 deaths today.
    No. What's ridiculous (and I suspect, intellectually dishonest of you) is for you to equate a work of fiction to the words and actions of the most powerful man in the world.

    Just stop.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

  22. #20597
    Hope is eternal
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    There is a difference between blaming Trump and recognizing that his words contribute to the white nationalism that is on the rise here and around the world.
    This. Word matter. That does not imply Trump is literally responsible. Just that words do have consequences and a smart and reasonable person would realize this and stop. But we know he is neither. He just speaks to his base.
    Thankful to be a fan of a big market team

  23. #20598

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...reak-in-madrid

    Spanish intelligence officials believe at least two of the 10 attackers who broke into the North Korean embassy in Madrid last month, holding staff hostage and making off with computers, are linked to the CIA, according to a report in El País.
    Sounds like something to keep an eye on.
    Socialism is their name for anything that helps all the people. ~Harry Truman

  24. #20599

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Socialism is their name for anything that helps all the people. ~Harry Truman

  25. #20600
    New Murderer's Row False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Argument falls apart because it's directly contradicted by the shooter.
    A white supremacist took inspiration to commit heinous crimes from Candace Owens? That’s interesting.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts