+ Reply to Thread
Page 823 of 867 FirstFirst ... 323 723 773 813 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 833 ... LastLast
Results 20,551 to 20,575 of 21652

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    AOC put on another clinic questioning Wilbur Ross yesterday and had Mark Meadows squirming. It's easy to see why the GOP is so terrified of her. She is as well prepared (or better) than anyone I've ever seen in these committee hearings.
    I guess you missed her questioning of the Wells Fargo CEO- scary stupid
    I like big mutt,s and I can not lie....

AOC put on another clinic questioning Wilbur Ross yesterday and had Mark Meadows squirming. It's easy to see why the GOP is so terrified of her. She is as well prepared (or better) than anyone I've ever seen in these committee hearings.
    See Trey Gowdy ( former prosecutor ) He didn't have to have his staff spoon feed him questions- he had direct knowledge and was brutal

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi3 View Post
    I guess you missed her questioning of the Wells Fargo CEO- scary stupid
    I was part of the conversation here about it so no, I did not miss it. I disagreed with your take.
    Take car. Go to Mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

See Trey Gowdy ( former prosecutor ) He didn't have to have his staff spoon feed him questions- he had direct knowledge and was brutal
    I've seen him. He's a smart guy but he's also a grandstanding bully.
    Take car. Go to Mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    They're social democracies, and I'm fine with their model. I have no problem paying that tax rate and ensuring everyone's needs are met. They also get lengthy paid parental leave. It's a great system. If nobody has to worry about bankruptcy because they have the audacity to get sick, as well as all the other life necessities I mentioned, then I'm good with high taxes.
    That's you- I think the majority of the US taxpayers would disagree.

You didn't answer as to how it would be paid for- cutting defense and taxing the rich just won't work out

Also some of the countries are having problems paying for their HC systems

I've seen him. He's a smart guy but he's also a grandstanding bully.
    Her response to the mosque shootings "

"At 1st I thought of saying, “Imagine being told your house of faith isn’t safe anymore.”

But I couldn’t say “imagine.”

Because of Charleston.
    Pittsburgh.
    Sutherland Springs.

What good are your thoughts & prayers when they don’t even keep the pews safe?pic.twitter.com/2mSw0azDN8

— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) March 15, 2019

In case Twitter followers didn’t grasp her brilliance, Ocasio-Cortez followed up with this handy cheat sheet:

(“Thoughts and prayers” is reference to the NRA’s phrase used to deflect conversation away from policy change during tragedies. Not directed to PM Ardern, who I greatly admire.)

Good Lord. Imagine being so cold-hearted as to not consider praying or wishing well for victims of a senseless massacre as it’s unfolding. And then imagine how it must feel to be someone who’s first instinct in that situation is to make fun of people praying, and then exploit the tragedy to attack your entirely uninvolved political enemies. That kind of soullessness is itself a tragedy.

Now add that to what had been a merely amusing ignorance on Ocasio-Cortez’ part until now. Needless to say, the NRA doesn’t have anything to do with New Zealand’s policies, let alone the self-described “eco-fascist” perp who committed this massacre. If Ocasio-Cortez wants to discuss policy in this tragedy, she should first acknowledge that New Zealand already has stricter gun-control policies than those in the US, although not as strict as in nearby Australia. New Zealand is about as far away from the US as it is possible to get, so whatever issues we have here have nothing to do with what happened last night at the mosque.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    You have said that we only see the evidence the government wants us to see. You have said that the government, through its grants, controls what findings scientists can or can’t come up with. You have said that dissenting voices are forced to retract. This is precisely the Deep State.

What numbers have you seen fudged? What scientists have you seen blacklisted, and by whom, and how?
    I think we have different definitions of the deep state-not sure who is right to be honest.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2018/10/...d-with-errors/

https://www.aim.org/aim-column/black...ing-orthodoxy/

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/06/...imate-science/

A few other things bug me about this whole thing. First off is how they push this " 97% of scientists agree that global warming is man made" this just isnt true.
    Another one is people scaring kids like in the article Tyler posted, meanwhile the ones doing the fear mongering like Leo Dicaprio-is still flying everywhere in private jets, and Al Gore buys a 9 million dollar waterfront mansion while telling us how much the oceans are rising. When the people yelling the loudest about this stuff actually start acting like its real--maybe ill start to listen.

Gotta get back to work now. Good talking to you.
    Fully operational Death Star

NYYF Legend

I think they meant to say crazy self described white nationalist when they mistyped eco fascist.

But serious what results have “thoughts and prayers” achieved?

It’s what you say when you don’t have any answer and don’t want to address the causes.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jburke View Post
    Its a shame how traumatized the kid in that story is. Her parents are to blame.
    A shame that she’s concerned about the future of the planet? We need more kids like her.
    Baseball is life;

"At 1st I thought of saying, “Imagine being told your house of faith isn’t safe anymore.”

Because of Charleston.
    Pittsburgh.
    Sutherland Springs.

What good are your thoughts & prayers when they don’t even keep the pews safe?pic.twitter.com/2mSw0azDN8

In case Twitter followers didn’t grasp her brilliance, Ocasio-Cortez followed up with this handy cheat sheet:

(“Thoughts and prayers” is reference to the NRA’s phrase used to deflect conversation away from policy change during tragedies. Not directed to PM Ardern, who I greatly admire.)

Good Lord. Imagine being so cold-hearted as to not consider praying or wishing well for victims of a senseless massacre as it’s unfolding. And then imagine how it must feel to be someone who’s first instinct in that situation is to make fun of people praying, and then exploit the tragedy to attack your entirely uninvolved political enemies. That kind of soullessness is itself a tragedy.

Now add that to what had been a merely amusing ignorance on Ocasio-Cortez’ part until now. Needless to say, the NRA doesn’t have anything to do with New Zealand’s policies, let alone the self-described “eco-fascist” perp who committed this massacre. If Ocasio-Cortez wants to discuss policy in this tragedy, she should first acknowledge that New Zealand already has stricter gun-control policies than those in the US, although not as strict as in nearby Australia. New Zealand is about as far away from the US as it is possible to get, so whatever issues we have here have nothing to do with what happened last night at the mosque.
    "
    Nothing wrong with people thinking and praying, and she wasn’t making fun of people who do. She was making fun of public figures and institutions proclaiming their "thoughts and prayers" as a way of superseding actual discussion. (“This is no time for politicization, it’s a time for thoughts and prayers.")

"What good are your thoughts & prayers when they don’t even keep the pews safe?"

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Hillary Clinton : Maynerd ::: AOC : ieddyi3

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I think they meant to say crazy self described white nationalist when they mistyped eco fascist.

But serious what results have “thoughts and prayers” achieved?

It’s what you say when you don’t have any answer and don’t want to address the causes.
    Ask AOC why she had an ash cross on her forehead last Wednesday

So, you think prayer should be outlawed ?

Because of Charleston.
    Pittsburgh.
    Sutherland Springs.

"
    Wow, AOC spot on. Right-wing politicians pretending to be in some sort of spiritual place during this is just self-glorifying drivel. They helped create this day with their Islamophobic and anti-immigrant rhetoric.

Hope is eternal

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Wow, AOC spot on. Right-wing politicians pretending to be in some sort of spiritual place during this is just self-glorifying drivel. They helped create this day with their Islamophobic and anti-immigrant rhetoric.
    The shooters said they Trump supporters and this was a message against immigration. Now who has been insulting just about all immigrants since 2016? Hmmm. Spread hate and these results happen
    Thankful to be a fan of a big market team

NYYF Legend

Ask AOC why she had an ash cross on her forehead last Wednesday

So, you think prayer should be outlawed ?
    That’s a giant leap to think I want prayer outlawed. I think everyone should have the right to worship as they see fit free from folks coming in to their chosen house of worship with weapons of mass destruction to kill them.

But to the point at hand what have thoughts and prayers accomplished in steming the violence?
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    That’s a giant leap to think I want prayer outlawed. I think everyone should have the right to worship as they see fit free from folks coming in to their chosen house of worship with weapons of mass destruction to kill them.

But to the point at hand what have thoughts and prayers accomplished in steming the violence?
    Does anyone really believe that all of the politicians that tweet out "thoughts and prayers" are actually praying? Or even pausing for thought for that matter. Empty words.

"What good are your thoughts & prayers when they don’t even keep the pews safe?"
    And in this case, much more stringent laws didn't do squat either....

Ironic, no ?

There are always going to be twisted evil people

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post

Phil never fails.....

Was it Islamophobia that motivated the Bernie bro who attempted ti kill Scalise ?

There are always going to be twisted evil people
    Yes and we have one sitting in the White House.

I'm not sure if there are more empty words than "thoughts and prayers" tweets but Trump is giving it a run for it's money with "My warmest sympathy and best wishes...".

Hallmark, when you care enough to send the very best.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Yes and we have one sitting in the White House.
    Oh but he (had somebody else) tweeted some kind words in response to the massacre.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

I'm not sure if there are more empty words than "thoughts and prayers" but Trump is giving it a run for it's money with "My warmest sympathy and best wishes...".

Hallmark, when you care enough to send the very best.
    So you’re saying that warm sympathy and good wishes are bad and should be outlawed?

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    So you’re saying that warm sympathy and good wishes are bad and should be outlawed?
    Damn. Got me.

Anyone blaming Trump or Republicans for this shooting really needs to re-evaluate things. That is a startlingly dangerous mindset to have. I think Mark David Chapman blamed his shooting of John Lennon on the Catcher in the Rye. Should JD Salinger have been held responsible? Blaming Trump for this is equally ridiculous.

The gun control debate is a whole separate issue and certainly something that should be discussed. I think there's some credence to the idea of politicians hiding behind "thoughts and prayers" because they're scared to make an actual change, so AOC's tactic could be effective here. She's a lot like Trump in that way where it's refreshing for people to hear things said that most politicians would be afraid to say.

Thread Information