+ Reply to Thread
Page 81 of 93 FirstFirst ... 31 71 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 91 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 2302
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    As has been well documented, I disagree with many of you about racism. We're in agreement that it's based entirely on ignorance, but we tend to disagree about whether "power" plays a predominant part, or if it's just a matter of making a value judgment on a person based solely on his skin color.

Colorado University is predominantly white. Only 2% of the student population is African American (compared to 4.5% for the State). The University is in Boulder, which is only about 1% African American (and 90% wealthy). This all makes it extremely difficult to applaud diversity.

So, the University is taking a residence hall, and segregating it to black students, black-identified students (good grief), and their allies (whatever that means). The purpose is to provide a “supportive, social and communal space for students” who identify with “elements of the African & Black Diaspora.”

http://dailycaller.com/2017/05/11/ta...-black-people/

So, what do we think of this? Our "melting pot" has homogenized many unique cultures. This is clearly an effort to protect African and African-American culture from being absorbed by that melting pot. It's also clear that the intent is to provide a place where certain commonalities leave a minority group in a position of influence.

But, on the other hand, doesn't this fly in the face of Brown vs. Board of Education? Is segregation only bad when it's implemented by the majority? And even in this case, despite the intentions, isn't the segregation being implemented by the white majority? Does it make a difference what the majority's intentions were? Does a segregated dormitory "foster a community of diversity" or does it do just the opposite? Is this "grounded in intercultural dialogue" or is it an impediment to such dialogue?

Personally, I'd prefer a color-blind society. One where we make value judgments on a person based on their character and interests, rather than by the color of their skin. Dr King said as much. Isn't this dormitory a step in the wrong direction?
    That does seem to be in violation of Brown. I wonder if there was an outcry from the black student body for their own dorm. Is there a history of violence or intimidation against black students there? I do know if a group of white students went to admin and said "we'd like a dorm for just white kids" it would be a big ugly story so this should be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    That does seem to be in violation of Brown. I wonder if there was an outcry from the black student body for their own dorm. Is there a history of violence or intimidation against black students there? I do know if a group of white students went to admin and said "we'd like a dorm for just white kids" it would be a big ugly story so this should be the same.
    I think that article is misrepresenting what they are doing. They are not forcing black students into a segregated dorm. They are offering space to those interested in participating. Here is the school's press release.

http://www.colorado.edu/today/2017/0...ment-come-fall

In fall 2017, Hallett Hall will be transformed into a Social Justice Living Environment with the addition of a peer mentorship program and two new Living and Learning Communities (LLCs).

Spectrum LLC, which supports LGBTQIA-identified students and allies, will be joined by the Lucile B. Buchanan and Multicultural Perspectives LLCs. The Buchanan LLC will support black-identified students and their allies, and the Multicultural Perspectives LLC will create a community for students passionate about diversity and engaging in meaningful dialogue. The LLCs are open to any and all students who are interested in social justice.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Yeah it should be the same. Though I suspect someone will come here any minute and try to explain why it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I think that article is misrepresenting what they are doing. They are not forcing black students into a segregated dorm. They are offering space to those interested in participating. Here is the school's press release.

http://www.colorado.edu/today/2017/0...ment-come-fall
    They should name the new residence 'Echo Chamber Hall.'

I still disagree with the premise. Separating people by their beliefs is a bad idea no matter how well-intentioned.

At college you should be exposed to various viewpoints, even if they oppose your own, not shielded from them.

They are not forcing black students into a segregated dorm. They are offering space to those interested in participating.
    Absolutely true. But, does that make it appropriate? As Rhody observed, there would be a huge outcry of some white kids even suggested a dorm of their own. If it's bad should one race suggest it, isn't it equally bad across the board?

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

I can't speak for that program or any other but my own kid lived in an LLC dorm for two years (STEM) and it was a wonderful experience. He was never segregated or left out of other experiences and kids in other LLCs at his school were equally pleased. They all have wait lists.

Absolutely true. But, does that make it appropriate? As Rhody observed, there would be a huge outcry of some white kids even suggested a dorm of their own. If it's bad should one race suggest it, isn't it equally bad across the board?
    It's not segregated though.

I changed a word. Is this still acceptable?

The Buchanan LLC will support white-identified students and their allies, and the Multicultural Perspectives LLC will create a community for students passionate about diversity and engaging in meaningful dialogue.

It's not segregated though.
    What?

This, from the article.....

"A second segregated community....." and "the third segregated community..." and "Together, the three segregated residential territories at Hallett Hall will be called a 'Social Justice Living Environment.' ”

So, you contend that a "segregated community" isn't segregated as long as you don't require certain people to take up residence there? I don't think that's the case.

Or, were you referring to your son's LLC dorm, which is a different case entirely.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

As has been well documented, I disagree with many of you about racism. We're in agreement that it's based entirely on ignorance, but we tend to disagree about whether "power" plays a predominant part, or if it's just a matter of making a value judgment on a person based solely on his skin color.

Colorado University is predominantly white. Only 2% of the student population is African American (compared to 4.5% for the State). The University is in Boulder, which is only about 1% African American (and 90% wealthy). This all makes it extremely difficult to applaud diversity.

So, the University is taking a residence hall, and segregating it to black students, black-identified students (good grief), and their allies (whatever that means). The purpose is to provide a “supportive, social and communal space for students” who identify with “elements of the African & Black Diaspora.”

http://dailycaller.com/2017/05/11/ta...-black-people/

So, what do we think of this? Our "melting pot" has homogenized many unique cultures. This is clearly an effort to protect African and African-American culture from being absorbed by that melting pot. It's also clear that the intent is to provide a place where certain commonalities leave a minority group in a position of influence.

But, on the other hand, doesn't this fly in the face of Brown vs. Board of Education? Is segregation only bad when it's implemented by the majority? And even in this case, despite the intentions, isn't the segregation being implemented by the white majority? Does it make a difference what the majority's intentions were? Does a segregated dormitory "foster a community of diversity" or does it do just the opposite? Is this "grounded in intercultural dialogue" or is it an impediment to such dialogue?

Personally, I'd prefer a color-blind society. One where we make value judgments on a person based on their character and interests, rather than by the color of their skin. Dr King said as much. Isn't this dormitory a step in the wrong direction?
    Sounds like a recent episode of Blackish.

fwiw I agree, seems like a step in the wrong direction
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

The Connecticut mayor who spent 7 years in prison may run for governor.

http://nyti.ms/2pMb1L4

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. — A decade ago, the story of Joseph P. Ganim was that of a young mayor and gifted politician with a promising future undone by corruption. He had been convicted of accepting hundreds of thousands of dollars from people and companies doing business with the city. He resigned, and political observers here believed that the legal ordeal was a setback from which he would never recover.
    Mr. Ganim emerged after seven years in federal prison to stage an unlikely comeback, steaming past the incumbent mayor to claim his old job running Connecticut’s largest city. Since his return to politics in 2015, there has been a lot of talk of second chances. Part of that has been a campaign to redeem himself in the place of his downfall, but it also seems to reflect an effort to lay the groundwork for higher office.

What's LLC stand for? Lifetime Learning Community? Limited Liability Company?

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post

Sounds more like a presidential candidate.

Taking a page from Buddy Cianci.

What?

This, from the article.....

"A second segregated community....." and "the third segregated community..." and "Together, the three segregated residential territories at Hallett Hall will be called a 'Social Justice Living Environment.' ”

So, you contend that a "segregated community" isn't segregated as long as you don't require certain people to take up residence there? I don't think that's the case.

Or, were you referring to your son's LLC dorm, which is a different case entirely.
    Your article is misrepresenting it. From the school "The LLCs are open to any and all students who are interested in social justice."

www.crimetownshow.com

Check it out. Really great podcast season about the mob and corruption in Providence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Sounds more like a presidential candidate.
    That's his next step, I'm sure. He's probably a lot smarter than Trump, though that isn't saying much.

Your article is misrepresenting it. From the school "The LLCs are open to any and all students who are interested in social justice."
    Social justice as defined by who?

I would never sign up to live there. It would be like joining an HOA run by the PC police. I'd hate to live among a concentrated group of people whose favorite activity is finding things to get offended by.

That's fine but this is not unique or original. It's common at colleges around the country. I think you have a very wrong idea of what they are but whatever.

That's fine but this is not unique or original. It's common at colleges around the country. I think you have a very wrong idea of what they are but whatever.
    I'm sure they're not all the same, but like I asked-- social justice as defined by who? Who decides what constitutes acceptable behavior? What happens if someone is determined to be in violation of what the majority find acceptable? Are they kicked out of the dorm?

It's just a bad idea.

Your article is misrepresenting it.
    It's the University itself who is using the word "segregated" to describe these communities. Are they misrepresenting themselves?

- President Barack Obama

It's the University itself who is using the word "segregated" to describe these communities. Are they misrepresenting themselves?
    Link me. I'm only seeing it in the article you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I'm sure they're not all the same, but like I asked-- social justice as defined by who? Who decides what constitutes acceptable behavior? What happens if someone is determined to be in violation of what the majority find acceptable? Are they kicked out of the dorm?

It's just a bad idea.
    You can think that but I don't think you understand what LLCs are or how they operate on college campuses.

You can think that but I don't think you understand what LLCs are or how they operate on college campuses.
    Ok. Tell me what I'm getting wrong.

Link me. I'm only seeing it in the article you posted.
    Who do think was the source for the article?

Regardless, would it be acceptable if Italian-American students asked for, and got, a dorm of their own? Would it be acceptable for whites? If not, why is it acceptable for blacks?

At what point is protection of a culture over-stepping the lines of racial exclusion? And how on Earth can such an arrangement be propped up as diversity? There's nothing diverse about it.

- President Barack Obama

Thread Information