+ Reply to Thread
Page 73 of 93 FirstFirst ... 23 63 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 83 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 2302
    Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    I need to re-read the policy. I didn't see the part where it primarily targets African Americans. I thought it applied equally to all criminals.

You want racial equality. So do I. So, how is it equality when a policy that applies to all prosecutions, regardless of race or gender of the accused, is painted as primarily targeting POC? It's not. It's targeting criminals. IT's YOU who are saying criminals = POC. I find that connection of the dots to be more than a little gross.
    You believe that everyone is treated equally under the law. You are wrong.

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    You believe that everyone is treated equally under the law. You are wrong.
    What does that have to do with the Attorney General's directive?

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

I have a basic issue with treating people who are often sick as criminals. We have a fifth of the population of China, a country we have often criticized for human right violations and we have five times the incarceration rate. It is unamerican to have a for profit prison system which they want more prisoners which is what this is all about. All the war on drugs has done is ruin lives and ruin families but this idiot says we need more. Family values!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

It has been explained here ad nauseum that these laws that he is championing are not enforced fairly or equally. That POC are significantly more likely to be targeted. It's a known fact that the war on drugs was a war on the African American community. Keep pretending otherwise though.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    It's a directive to federal prosecutors, so it's appropriate for the AG to set policy for them.
    I do not see why the story about Sessions is newsworthy as this procedure of charging the most serious has been occurring ever since I became involved in law enforcement. In fact that pretty much is SOP at the local levels at least that I have dealt with and I guess the only change would be is when the Feds would decide to take the case over or not. Based upon my experience alone, the Feds do not always take a case higher up even though it meets the criteria to do so. Over the years it has been more of a pick/choose and despite what Sessions said, there are still going to be constraints on the resources.......prosecutors, money, jail space, etc....

I need to re-read the policy. I didn't see the part where it primarily targets African Americans. I thought it applied equally to all criminals.

You want racial equality. So do I. So, how is it equality when a policy that applies to all prosecutions, regardless of race or gender of the accused, is painted as primarily targeting POC? It's not. It's targeting criminals. IT's YOU who are saying criminals = POC. I find that connection of the dots to be more than a little gross.
    Incorrect, Maynerd. Society has been doing that, and we have documented history on our side of the argument.

NYYF Legend

It has been explained here ad nauseum that these laws that he is championing are not enforced fairly or equally. That POC are significantly more likely to be targeted. It's a known fact that the war on drugs was a war on the African American community. Keep pretending otherwise though.
    Yes because drugs only have an effect of the black community.

NYYF Legend

I for one feel safer now that Sessions will be asking potheads to spend more time in federal prison. The war on drugs has been a smashing success so far we must expand it!

Regardless of whether or not this policy is racist or not, it's totally moronic.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    I do not see why the story about Sessions is newsworthy as this procedure of charging the most serious has been occurring ever since I became involved in law enforcement. In fact that pretty much is SOP at the local levels at least that I have dealt with and I guess the only charge would be is when the Feds would decide to take the case over or not. Based upon my experience alone, the Feds do not always take a case higher up even though it meets the criteria to do so. Over the years it has been more of a pick/choose and despite what Sessions said, there are still going to be constraints on the resources.......prosecutors, money, jail space, etc....
    Exactly. Federal prisons are overcrowded. Asking for longer harsher sentences, just for the sake of "fighting drugs" has been an abject and total failure. Asking to expand that is the height of stupidity on on our new AGs part.
    Baseball is life;

Yes because drugs only have an effect of the black community.
    No one said it did, just far more than the white community
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I for one feel safer now that Sessions will be asking potheads to spend more time in federal prison. The war on drugs has been a smashing success so far we must expand it!

Regardless of whether or not this policy is racist or not, it's totally moronic.
    But how is it going after potheads when state after state have decriminalized Marijuana already? And if not a war, what do you suggest should be done with the drugs like Heroin, Meth, and Crack which destroy people and communities upon a daily basis?

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

But how is going after potheads when state after state has decriminalized Marijuana already? And if not a war, what do you suggest should be done with the drugs like Heroin, Meth, and Crack which destroy people and communities upon a daily basis?
    Incarcerate distributors, rehabilitate consumers.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Incarcerate distributors, rehabilitate consumers.
    But the incarceration of the distributors is what is causing the controversy now. The reason being is that there are so many low level distributors who are selling a product that is coming from a large cartel from abroad. So what we mainly encounter are the street level, and mid-level, traffickers and with the mandatory minimums set by the Feds, that is where you see the outrage over someone going to prison for 10 years because they got selling 20 grams of Crack.

But the incarceration of the distributors is what is causing the controversy now. The reason being is that there are so many low level distributors who are selling a product that is coming from a large cartel from abroad. So what we mainly encounter are the street level, and mid-level, traffickers and with the mandatory minimums set by the Feds, that is where you see the outrage over someone going to prison for 10 years because they got selling 20 grams of Crack.
    To be clear I am talking users only in my posts. Dealers a far different story

NYYF Legend

2Jay, Sessions is trying to reinstate policies that were massive failures. That's the complaint I have.
    Baseball is life;

But how is going after potheads when state after state has decriminalized Marijuana already? And if not a war, what do you suggest should be done with the drugs like Heroin, Meth, and Crack which destroy people and communities upon a daily basis?
    Institute programs and infrastructure in those communities that make using and selling drugs less viable, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride 1967
    It is unamerican to have a for profit prison system which they want more prisoners which is what this is all about.
    Where was THAT written? Must have been the same paragraph as where it says "especially black people."
    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara
    It has been explained here ad nauseum that these laws that he is championing are not enforced fairly or equally.
    But his directive is that the choice of what will be prosecuted will be equal. "Fairness" isn't included in the directive. Are there unreasonable sentencing guidelines? Of course there are. That's a separate issue altogether. When the directive states that we will prosecute against the most severe crime with a reasonable chance of a conviction, that is not unfair, not unequal, and certainly not racist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Regardless of whether or not this policy is racist or not, ...
    It's not. It's completely race-neutral, regardless of what the Left is preaching.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper
    ... it's totally moronic.
    Well, yes. A similar edict regarding crime in general would seem to be appropriate and reasonable (if not necessarily wise) from the AG. When he tied it to the "War on Drugs," he was hitching his wagon to a failed vehicle.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

But his directive is that the choice of what will be prosecuted will be equal. "Fairness" isn't included in the directive. Are there unreasonable sentencing guidelines? Of course there are. That's a separate issue altogether. When the directive states that we will prosecute against the most severe crime with a reasonable chance of a conviction, that is not unfair, not unequal, and certainly not racist.It's not. It's completely race-neutral, regardless of what the Left is preaching..

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. You are championing a system that has been proven to be racist and claiming it won't be racist this time because known recist Jeff Sessions says so. Pass.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. You are championing a system that has been proven to be racist and claiming it won't be racist this time because known recist Jeff Sessions says so. Pass.
    Where does it say in Jeff Sessions' manual that he's racist?

Pretty flimsy there, lady.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregorius Chant View Post
    Where does it say in Jeff Sessions' manual that he's racist?

Pretty flimsy there, lady.
    That's Mrs Lady McLadyface to you.

It's completely race-neutral, regardless of what the Left is preaching.
    The law may be written as race neutral but I can find scores of examples of a black guy being sent to jail for much much longer than a white person convicted of the same crime.
    Or how crack (mostly used by blacks) has a harsher sentence than powder coke (mostly used by whites).

Oh, man...I've been holding off on my "structural racism" response to Mike's excellent "institutional racism" post (excellent, though I disagree with the POV). I just haven't had the time, because I want to do it right, and we were building up to an audit at work this week. Now that's done, and I'm hoping to get to it tonight or over the weekend.

It's why the conversation going on here will never work. We're not talking about the same thing.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    The law may be written as race neutral but I can find scores of examples of a black guy being sent to jail for much much longer than a white person convicted of the same crime.
    Of course you can. Sentencing hasn't been done fairly for decades. But that has nothing to do with Sessions' memo.

Sessions is saying we should prosecute at the highest level where a conviction can be reasonably assured. How do previous examples of unfair sentencing make the Sessions directive racist?

- President Barack Obama

Of course you can. Sentencing hasn't been done fairly for decades. But that has nothing to do with Sessions' memo.

Sessions is saying we should prosecute at the highest level where a conviction can be reasonably assured. How do previous examples of unfair sentencing make the Sessions directive racist?
    My snarky remark is any directive issued by a lifelong racist is inherently racist.

NYYF Legend

Sentencing hasn't been done fairly for decades. But that has
    https://www.aclu.org/sites/default/f...bmission_0.pdf

You can say that again.

There is nothing inherently racist about Sessions latest statement. The justice system has been racist for quite some time and it clearly is not color blind.
    Baseball is life;

Thread Information