+ Reply to Thread
Page 726 of 867 FirstFirst ... 226 626 676 716 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 736 776 826 ... LastLast
Results 18,126 to 18,150 of 21652
  1. #18126
    Hope is eternal
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    A guy named Barack Hussein Obama being elected as the POTUS after 9/11 and then Donald Trump being elected should put to be the argument that anyone is "unelectable".
    Mickey Mouse should even have a shot
    Thankful to be a fan of a big market team

  2. #18127

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    I think a lot about who I would want the nominee to be and different days give me different results but I keep coming back to the belief that the country is likely to be in in a recession by the election and who the best person is to handle that is a big part of my thinking. It's one of the reasons I'm currently leaning Warren. So much is going to change though both in real life and in my head by this time next year.
    Take car. Go to Mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

  3. #18128
    Hope is eternal
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I think a lot about who I would want the nominee to be and different days give me different results but I keep coming back to the belief that the country is likely to be in in a recession by the election and who the best person is to handle that is a big part of my thinking. It's one of the reasons I'm currently leaning Warren. So much is going to change though both in real life and in my head by this time next year.
    There are also some unknowns. I wouldnít label it as likely but there has to be taken into account the chance Trump may not even be on the ballot (Mueller, NY AG, challenger or least likely decides not to run). That being said I would be happy with Warren or Harris at this point.
    Thankful to be a fan of a big market team

  4. #18129
    NYYF Cy Young

    Tyler Durden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The CT/MA Border, aka Pink Sox Territory

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    If, with all of these promising candidates announced so far, the Dems can't find someone who could easily beat Trump (a buffoon) and Schultz (a billionaire centrist), then they deserve to lose.
    Jingoism is not Patriotism

  5. #18130
    Hope is eternal
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    If, with all of these promising candidates announced so far, the Dems can't find someone who could easily beat Trump (a buffoon) and Schultz (a billionaire centrist), then they deserve to lose.
    Well it isn’t like they haven’t done just that before
    Thankful to be a fan of a big market team

  6. #18131

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    We on the left have our own football in the form of "perceived electability".
    First tweet when I opened twitter this morning:



    James Poniewozik‏Verified account @poniewozik 17m17 minutes ago
    I've never bought the idea of voting on "electability," and a long time ago I wrote about that for NPR. (This was in 2004, when the Dems ended up nominating the "electable" John Kerry.)

    https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...toryId=1614558

    James Poniewozik‏Verified account @poniewozik
    This is not about the pros and cons of any one candidate so much as that, when you vote on "electability," you're basically professing to read the mind of another voter, whom you don't agree with and possibly hold in contempt.
    Take car. Go to Mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

  7. #18132
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    There are also some unknowns. I wouldnít label it as likely but there has to be taken into account the chance Trump may not even be on the ballot (Mueller, NY AG, challenger or least likely decides not to run). That being said I would be happy with Warren or Harris at this point.
    Whether itís Trump or someone else, the Republican candidate will be badly hobbled - if not hogtied - by the Trump presidency.

  8. #18133
    NYYF Cy Young

    Tyler Durden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The CT/MA Border, aka Pink Sox Territory

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    First tweet when I opened twitter this morning:
    Bingo!

    As much as I genuinely enjoy discussions/debates here with jburke, Maynerd and fightingirish595, I'm not picking my candidate based on who I think THEY would like versus who I like. I wouldn't expect them to do the opposite with me, either.

    That's how we end up with candidates no one likes and half the country not voting at all.
    Jingoism is not Patriotism

  9. #18134
    Hope is eternal
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Whether itís Trump or someone else, the Republican candidate will be badly hobbled - if not hogtied - by the Trump presidency.
    I agree but I think someone outside the Trump realm would be a bit more formidable. It will come down to the same things as it always does. Can the Dems avoid figuratively shooting themselves in the foot and will they show up? My concern on both is almost nill as I think people are sick enough of Trump to vote for anyone else
    Thankful to be a fan of a big market team

  10. #18135

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Whether itís Trump or someone else, the Republican candidate will be badly hobbled - if not hogtied - by the Trump presidency.
    He tweeted today that he's done more in his first two years than any American president in history. And America already has the smartest person (as president). He said it so it must be true.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  11. #18136
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    I agree but I think someone outside the Trump realm would be a bit more formidable. It will come down to the same things as it always does. Can the Dems avoid figuratively shooting themselves in the foot and will they show up? My concern on both is almost nill as I think people are sick enough of Trump to vote for anyone else
    Who? Mitt Romney? Jeff Flake? Marco Rubio?

  12. #18137
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    He tweeted today that he's done more in his first two years than any American president in history. And America already has the smartest person (as president). He said it so it must be true.
    He has certainly watched more TV in his first two years than any other American President. Does that count?

    And we know that heís a very stable genius.

  13. #18138

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    He has certainly watched more TV in his first two years than any other American President. Does that count?

    And we know that heís a very stable genius.
    And he's the greatest deal maker ever! Winner!
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  14. #18139

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    You live in Arizona. Dry heat or not, youíre still going to sweat everything.
    No.

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Thatís an insult to Jimmy Carter and Warren Harding. He is possibly the weakest and certainly the least competent President weíve ever had.
    Being less competent than W is quite a feat. Somehow he's managed it.

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    A guy named Barack Hussein Obama being elected as the POTUS after 9/11 and then Donald Trump being elected should put to be the argument that anyone is "unelectable".
    Unless they're female. (I hope I eat those words in a couple years.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    If, with all of these promising candidates announced so far, the Dems can't find someone who could easily beat Trump (a buffoon) and Schultz (a billionaire centrist), then they deserve to lose.
    No, we don't. We don't deserve any of this.

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Whether itís Trump or someone else, the Republican candidate will be badly hobbled - if not hogtied - by the Trump presidency.
    I'd be cool with no GOP candidate. Just a Dem and some independent candidate(s) would be cool. The GOP needs to be put in timeout.

  15. #18140

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    He has certainly watched more TV in his first two years than any other American President. Does that count?

    And we know that heís a very stable genius.
    Speaking of watching tv...

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.146165ae29e7
    The president has also claimed to guests, without evidence, that his private dining room off the Oval Office was in ďrough shapeĒ and had a hole in the wall when he came into the West Wing and that President Barack Obama used it to watch sports, according to two White House officials and two other people who have heard him discuss the dining room. ďHe just sat in here and watched basketball all day,Ē Trump told a recent group, before saying he upgraded Obamaís smaller TV to a sprawling, flat-screen one, the four people said.
    That dog just won't stop whistling.
    Take car. Go to Mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

  16. #18141
    Hope is eternal
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Who? Mitt Romney? Jeff Flake? Marco Rubio?
    Keep in mind I think extremely small chance as in under 5% for this scenario but most likely Kasich. First I think it is 50/50 he even tries but for me, even as small a chance I think it is worth at least mentioning
    Thankful to be a fan of a big market team

  17. #18142
    NYYF Legend

    ojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada's basement

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Bingo!

    As much as I genuinely enjoy discussions/debates here with jburke, Maynerd and fightingirish595, I'm not picking my candidate based on who I think THEY would like versus who I like. I wouldn't expect them to do the opposite with me, either.

    That's how we end up with candidates no one likes and half the country not voting at all.
    I think the pathway to crushing Trump and the carcass of the GOP is to keep riding the momentum of the younger generations. And Clinton, Sanders and Warren aren’t the way to go about that. Though Warren would make for a badass VP.

    A Harris / Warren ticket could rally the youth. Beto / Warren?
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

  18. #18143
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Whether itís Trump or someone else, the Republican candidate will be badly hobbled - if not hogtied - by the Trump presidency.
    No matter how much damage he does to the country, Trump or the Republican nominee will still get over 50,000,000 people to vote for him and over 200 electoral votes. We'll never see another 1984 type map again. As bad as Trump is and has been, we're so polarized it doesn't matter.

    I hope I'm wrong and we see something like this.
    https://www.270towin.com/maps/Db718

    But I'm not confident in that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Speaking of watching tv...

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.146165ae29e7
    That dog just won't stop whistling.
    When did they start playing basketball games during the day?

  19. #18144
    Hope is eternal
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Bingo!

    As much as I genuinely enjoy discussions/debates here with jburke, Maynerd and fightingirish595, I'm not picking my candidate based on who I think THEY would like versus who I like. I wouldn't expect them to do the opposite with me, either.

    That's how we end up with candidates no one likes and half the country not voting at all.
    Same..
    Thankful to be a fan of a big market team

  20. #18145

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    I think the pathway to crushing Trump and the carcass of the GOP is to keep riding the momentum of the younger generations. And Clinton, Sanders and Warren arenít the way to go about that. Though Warren would make for a badass VP.

    A Harris / Warren ticket could rally the youth. Beto / Warren?
    Hard pass.

    I'm not going to spend a lot of time on the youth vote. Yes, they did better in the midterms but, historically, they just don't come out in numbers that make a difference. I think women and POC are who need courting. But mostly just run the best candidate with the best ideas that will make the country a better place for everyone. Then run a good campaign of course.
    Take car. Go to Mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

  21. #18146
    Hope is eternal
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Hard pass.

    I'm not going to spend a lot of time on the youth vote. Yes, they did better in the midterms but, historically, they just don't come out in numbers that make a difference. I think women and POC are who need courting. But mostly just run the best candidate with the best ideas that will make the country a better place for everyone. Then run a good campaign of course.
    I canít put my fingers on a specific reason but something about Beto bothers me. Not that it alone would knock him out for me but it is a bit odd to post live your dental work being done on Instagram
    Thankful to be a fan of a big market team

  22. #18147
    Get Off My Lawn. Maynerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    But mostly just run the best candidate with the best ideas that will make the country a better place for everyone. Then run a good campaign of course.
    Strongly, strongly agree.

    The problem is that the way our election system has frayed, nobody runs on their ideas and what's good for the country. Instead, they run with a platform of what a disaster any other candidate would be, and how any other choice would be bad for the country.

    A candidate running on their own ideas, their own vision for the country's future.....that would be refreshing. I'm extremely pessimistic that we'll ever see it.

    "But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

  23. #18148

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    I canít put my fingers on a specific reason but something about Beto bothers me. Not that it alone would knock him out for me but it is a bit odd to post live your dental work being done on Instagram
    He didn't really do that though. He interviewed his dental hygienist as part of a series about life the border. He opened it with a few seconds of him in the chair and that was it.
    Take car. Go to Mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

  24. #18149
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Strongly, strongly agree.

    The problem is that the way our election system has frayed, nobody runs on their ideas and what's good for the country. Instead, they run with a platform of what a disaster any other candidate would be, and how any other choice would be bad for the country.

    A candidate running on their own ideas, their own vision for the country's future.....that would be refreshing. I'm extremely pessimistic that we'll ever see it.
    Check out Kamala's speech.

  25. #18150
    Hope is eternal
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    I can honestly say I have never voted based on electability. Never will. I voted for Bernie in April 2016 realizing he had little chance to win. Right now my vote will be Harris or Warren. Harris really hit it out of the park yesterday.
    Thankful to be a fan of a big market team

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (2 members and 2 guests)

  1. Maynerd
  2. Yankfan55

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts