+ Reply to Thread
Page 726 of 867 FirstFirst ... 226 626 676 716 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 736 776 826 ... LastLast
Results 18,126 to 18,150 of 21652
    Hope is eternal

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    A guy named Barack Hussein Obama being elected as the POTUS after 9/11 and then Donald Trump being elected should put to be the argument that anyone is "unelectable".
    Mickey Mouse should even have a shot
    Thankful to be a fan of a big market team

I think a lot about who I would want the nominee to be and different days give me different results but I keep coming back to the belief that the country is likely to be in in a recession by the election and who the best person is to handle that is a big part of my thinking. It's one of the reasons I'm currently leaning Warren. So much is going to change though both in real life and in my head by this time next year.
    Take car. Go to Mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

Hope is eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I think a lot about who I would want the nominee to be and different days give me different results but I keep coming back to the belief that the country is likely to be in in a recession by the election and who the best person is to handle that is a big part of my thinking. It's one of the reasons I'm currently leaning Warren. So much is going to change though both in real life and in my head by this time next year.
    There are also some unknowns. I wouldnít label it as likely but there has to be taken into account the chance Trump may not even be on the ballot (Mueller, NY AG, challenger or least likely decides not to run). That being said I would be happy with Warren or Harris at this point.

NYYF Cy Young

If, with all of these promising candidates announced so far, the Dems can't find someone who could easily beat Trump (a buffoon) and Schultz (a billionaire centrist), then they deserve to lose.
    Jingoism is not Patriotism

Hope is eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    If, with all of these promising candidates announced so far, the Dems can't find someone who could easily beat Trump (a buffoon) and Schultz (a billionaire centrist), then they deserve to lose.
    Well it isn’t like they haven’t done just that before

We on the left have our own football in the form of "perceived electability".
    First tweet when I opened twitter this morning:

James Poniewozik‏Verified account @poniewozik 17m17 minutes ago
    I've never bought the idea of voting on "electability," and a long time ago I wrote about that for NPR. (This was in 2004, when the Dems ended up nominating the "electable" John Kerry.)

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...toryId=1614558

James Poniewozik‏Verified account @poniewozik
    This is not about the pros and cons of any one candidate so much as that, when you vote on "electability," you're basically professing to read the mind of another voter, whom you don't agree with and possibly hold in contempt.
    Take car. Go to Mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    There are also some unknowns. I wouldnít label it as likely but there has to be taken into account the chance Trump may not even be on the ballot (Mueller, NY AG, challenger or least likely decides not to run). That being said I would be happy with Warren or Harris at this point.
    Whether itís Trump or someone else, the Republican candidate will be badly hobbled - if not hogtied - by the Trump presidency.

NYYF Cy Young

First tweet when I opened twitter this morning:
    Bingo!

As much as I genuinely enjoy discussions/debates here with jburke, Maynerd and fightingirish595, I'm not picking my candidate based on who I think THEY would like versus who I like. I wouldn't expect them to do the opposite with me, either.

That's how we end up with candidates no one likes and half the country not voting at all.
    Jingoism is not Patriotism

Hope is eternal

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Whether itís Trump or someone else, the Republican candidate will be badly hobbled - if not hogtied - by the Trump presidency.
    I agree but I think someone outside the Trump realm would be a bit more formidable. It will come down to the same things as it always does. Can the Dems avoid figuratively shooting themselves in the foot and will they show up? My concern on both is almost nill as I think people are sick enough of Trump to vote for anyone else

He tweeted today that he's done more in his first two years than any American president in history. And America already has the smartest person (as president). He said it so it must be true.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

I agree but I think someone outside the Trump realm would be a bit more formidable. It will come down to the same things as it always does. Can the Dems avoid figuratively shooting themselves in the foot and will they show up? My concern on both is almost nill as I think people are sick enough of Trump to vote for anyone else
    Who? Mitt Romney? Jeff Flake? Marco Rubio?

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    He tweeted today that he's done more in his first two years than any American president in history. And America already has the smartest person (as president). He said it so it must be true.
    He has certainly watched more TV in his first two years than any other American President. Does that count?

And we know that heís a very stable genius.

He has certainly watched more TV in his first two years than any other American President. Does that count?

And he's the greatest deal maker ever! Winner!
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

You live in Arizona. Dry heat or not, youíre still going to sweat everything.
    No.

Thatís an insult to Jimmy Carter and Warren Harding. He is possibly the weakest and certainly the least competent President weíve ever had.
    Being less competent than W is quite a feat. Somehow he's managed it.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    A guy named Barack Hussein Obama being elected as the POTUS after 9/11 and then Donald Trump being elected should put to be the argument that anyone is "unelectable".
    Unless they're female. (I hope I eat those words in a couple years.)

No, we don't. We don't deserve any of this.

I'd be cool with no GOP candidate. Just a Dem and some independent candidate(s) would be cool. The GOP needs to be put in timeout.

Speaking of watching tv...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.146165ae29e7
    The president has also claimed to guests, without evidence, that his private dining room off the Oval Office was in ďrough shapeĒ and had a hole in the wall when he came into the West Wing and that President Barack Obama used it to watch sports, according to two White House officials and two other people who have heard him discuss the dining room. ďHe just sat in here and watched basketball all day,Ē Trump told a recent group, before saying he upgraded Obamaís smaller TV to a sprawling, flat-screen one, the four people said.
    That dog just won't stop whistling.

Hope is eternal

Who? Mitt Romney? Jeff Flake? Marco Rubio?
    Keep in mind I think extremely small chance as in under 5% for this scenario but most likely Kasich. First I think it is 50/50 he even tries but for me, even as small a chance I think it is worth at least mentioning

NYYF Legend

Bingo!

As much as I genuinely enjoy discussions/debates here with jburke, Maynerd and fightingirish595, I'm not picking my candidate based on who I think THEY would like versus who I like. I wouldn't expect them to do the opposite with me, either.

That's how we end up with candidates no one likes and half the country not voting at all.
    I think the pathway to crushing Trump and the carcass of the GOP is to keep riding the momentum of the younger generations. And Clinton, Sanders and Warren aren’t the way to go about that. Though Warren would make for a badass VP.

A Harris / Warren ticket could rally the youth. Beto / Warren?
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

No matter how much damage he does to the country, Trump or the Republican nominee will still get over 50,000,000 people to vote for him and over 200 electoral votes. We'll never see another 1984 type map again. As bad as Trump is and has been, we're so polarized it doesn't matter.

I hope I'm wrong and we see something like this.
    https://www.270towin.com/maps/Db718

But I'm not confident in that.

Speaking of watching tv...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.146165ae29e7
    That dog just won't stop whistling.
    When did they start playing basketball games during the day?

Hope is eternal

Bingo!

Same..

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    I think the pathway to crushing Trump and the carcass of the GOP is to keep riding the momentum of the younger generations. And Clinton, Sanders and Warren arenít the way to go about that. Though Warren would make for a badass VP.

A Harris / Warren ticket could rally the youth. Beto / Warren?
    Hard pass.

I'm not going to spend a lot of time on the youth vote. Yes, they did better in the midterms but, historically, they just don't come out in numbers that make a difference. I think women and POC are who need courting. But mostly just run the best candidate with the best ideas that will make the country a better place for everyone. Then run a good campaign of course.

Hope is eternal

Hard pass.

I'm not going to spend a lot of time on the youth vote. Yes, they did better in the midterms but, historically, they just don't come out in numbers that make a difference. I think women and POC are who need courting. But mostly just run the best candidate with the best ideas that will make the country a better place for everyone. Then run a good campaign of course.
    I canít put my fingers on a specific reason but something about Beto bothers me. Not that it alone would knock him out for me but it is a bit odd to post live your dental work being done on Instagram

But mostly just run the best candidate with the best ideas that will make the country a better place for everyone. Then run a good campaign of course.
    Strongly, strongly agree.

The problem is that the way our election system has frayed, nobody runs on their ideas and what's good for the country. Instead, they run with a platform of what a disaster any other candidate would be, and how any other choice would be bad for the country.

A candidate running on their own ideas, their own vision for the country's future.....that would be refreshing. I'm extremely pessimistic that we'll ever see it.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

I canít put my fingers on a specific reason but something about Beto bothers me. Not that it alone would knock him out for me but it is a bit odd to post live your dental work being done on Instagram
    He didn't really do that though. He interviewed his dental hygienist as part of a series about life the border. He opened it with a few seconds of him in the chair and that was it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Strongly, strongly agree.

The problem is that the way our election system has frayed, nobody runs on their ideas and what's good for the country. Instead, they run with a platform of what a disaster any other candidate would be, and how any other choice would be bad for the country.

A candidate running on their own ideas, their own vision for the country's future.....that would be refreshing. I'm extremely pessimistic that we'll ever see it.
    Check out Kamala's speech.

Hope is eternal

I can honestly say I have never voted based on electability. Never will. I voted for Bernie in April 2016 realizing he had little chance to win. Right now my vote will be Harris or Warren. Harris really hit it out of the park yesterday.

Thread Information