+ Reply to Thread
Page 705 of 931 FirstFirst ... 205 605 655 695 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 715 755 805 ... LastLast
Results 17,601 to 17,625 of 23265
    Hope is eternal

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Why do you hate the troops?

This is pretty much how my wife explained it to me.

It's a different dynamic being approached by a stranger when that stranger both A) wants to be inside you and B) can physically overpower you.
    Your second point is dead on. And this may be a major shock to some men but there are quite a few women that simply want to go about their business without some manchild with an over inflated opinion of himself stopping them to basically hit on them. I know shocking!
    The sky is falling! We are doomed!

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Under what circumstances is interaction between persons of different genders acceptable? Are there any? Doesn't bode well for the future of the species.
    Most women arenít going to approach men. We know this because well they generally just donít historically. All thatís going to happen is push the sexual market to the top 10 percent of men.

Hope is eternal

Under what circumstances is interaction between persons of different genders acceptable? Are there any? Doesn't bode well for the future of the species.
    Again with the hyperbole. Maybe watch the commercial? I donít think it is a problem to ask for directions or such. But I would say the guidelines would be if it is appropriate to approach a man in the same way it probably is ok. The point is going out of your way to make contact. I.e. walking past two men to ask a woman for directions

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    When that happens, I’ll let you know.

That woman in the ad? I bet it happens to her 5 times during her 10-minute walk.
    Yeah it doesn’t happen, that’s the point. Men approach women. Women don’t approach men generally speaking

Let's talk about the ad. Do you find that man's behavior appropriate? A woman walking down the street minding her own business and some guy leers at her, grunts? growls? (not sure what that sound was), and appears to go after her. You okay with that?
    Take car. Go to Mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    If a stranger approached you and wanted you inside of her, would that me okay because she canít overpower you? Generally speaking, most men can over power women, so should men not approach women because they may feel unsafe?
    No because usually those strangers are undercover cops.

Seriously, try to understand how the dynamic of that interaction changes based on male/female perspective, and how it shouldn't come as a surprise that women in general who lived their whole lives acutely aware of the fact that they can be overpowered anytime may not appreciate random dudes approaching them, even if if those dudes intentions aren't rape.

Trust me, the sooner you understand and acknowledge this, the better your relationships with all women will be.
    Jingoism is not Patriotism

I watch very little commercial tv so I have never seen the ad in question. Small blessings.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I watch very little commercial tv so I have never seen the ad in question. Small blessings.
    It's not even on TV yet! It's a Super Bowl ad that was released online early as they are prone to do now.
    Take car. Go to Mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    It's not even on TV yet! It's a Super Bowl ad that was released online early as they are prone to do now.
    Now I'm expected to not watch a commercial that hasn't aired yet? Life is getting too complicated.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Get off muggs' lawn.

Let's talk about the ad. Do you find that man's behavior appropriate? A woman walking down the street minding her own business and some guy leers at her, grunts? growls? (not sure what that sound was), and appears to go after her. You okay with that?
    Nope. I don't. I also find it laughable that some men think they're going to be successful by approaching a woman out of the blue. I use the term "gentleman" as a highly complementary term, one that a man should aspire to. And, the behavior on the ad is hardly "gentlemanly." But when your counter to the behavior is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara
    So she has to tolerate having her personal space invaded, feeling threatened, having her time taken up, etc but she gets to tell him to .............. off. Meanwhile clutching her pepper spray in case he he doesn't respond the way you would.
    ...I'm not seeing circumstances where ANY interaction is possible. How is the man to know when conversation will be interpreted as 'having her personal space threatened,' or 'taking up her time?' How is he to know when she feels threatened?

The man being a cave man, and clubbing the attractive woman to take her as a mate is clearly inappropriate. But, making any overture a violation of personal space, a waste of the woman's time, and a perceived threat leaves.....what? Tinder?

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Hope is eternal

So basically another right ainít talking point over something that isnít even an issue. Carry on.

Nope. I don't. I also find it laughable that some men think they're going to be successful by approaching a woman out of the blue. I use the term "gentleman" as a highly complementary term, one that a man should aspire to. And, the behavior on the ad is hardly "gentlemanly." But when your counter to the behavior is:
    ...I'm not seeing circumstances where ANY interaction is possible. How is the man to know when conversation will be interpreted as 'having her personal space threatened,' or 'taking up her time?' How is he to know when she feels threatened?

The man being a cave man, and clubbing the attractive woman to take her as a mate is clearly inappropriate. But, making any overture a violation of personal space, a waste of the woman's time, and a perceived threat leaves.....what? Tinder?
    Talking to women in a social environment, at work, etc. There are plenty of friendly encounters between people and you know what's acceptable and what is not. But I think you know this and just want to stir the pot.

Even reason.com gets it. This is not that complicated.

It's true that not all men engage in violence, sexual harassment, and bullyingóand on the flip side, plenty of women are abusers. Collectivist assumptions are obnoxiousóand anathema to libertarian principlesówhether they are deployed against men, women, white people, black people, etc. Certainly, some on the left are guilty of going this route (as are many who claim to speak for the right). But the ad never said that all men are bad. It never argued that masculinity is always and everywhere a dangerous ideal. It made a very modest statementótreat people betteróin hopes of selling more razors to people who agree. Again, why is this bad?

NYYF Cy Young

Talking to women in a social environment, at work, etc. There are plenty of friendly encounters between people and you know what's acceptable and what is not.
    Yes, absolutely.

It's not as if the only places left on Earth to meet women are Tinder and the sidewalk. Find a more appropriate social setting and your chances of a friendly encounter increase dramatically.
    Jingoism is not Patriotism

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Yes, absolutely.

It's not as if the only places left on Earth to meet women are Tinder and the sidewalk. Find a more appropriate social setting and your chances of a friendly encounter increase dramatically.
    And just to clarify, when I say at work, I mean it's fine to talk to women at work. Not harass them, not put them in an uncomfortable position, not hit on them. Talk. Like you would any co-worker.

Quote Originally Posted by Jburke View Post
    When are they going to do the Lady Gillette ad telling women not to be such greedy gold diggers?
    Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    Women are transcendent beings only capable of goodness
    You can't be serious with this BS.

Talking to women in a social environment, at work, etc. There are plenty of friendly encounters between people and you know what's acceptable and what is not.
    Not anymore. That which was acceptable a generation/year/month/hour ago, is frequently out of bounds today. At work? You want to chat up that cute blonde at work? Enjoy that Sexual Harassment complaint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara
    But I think you know this and just want to stir the pot.
    Sure. But I'd still like to know the conditions under which a man can talk to a woman without perhaps violating her space, wasting her time, or being somehow threatening. Just because it's a social setting doesn't change those variables from when she's walking down the street.

Do we need to return to the days when "courting" meant sitting in the parlor under the watchful eyes of her parents?

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Not anymore. That which was acceptable a generation/year/month/hour ago, is frequently out of bounds today. At work? You want to chat up that cute blonde at work? Enjoy that Sexual Harassment complaint.
    Sure. But I'd still like to know the conditions under which a man can talk to a woman without perhaps violating her space, wasting her time, or being somehow threatening. Just because it's a social setting doesn't change those variables from when she's walking down the street.

Do we need to return to the days when "courting" meant sitting in the parlor under the watchful eyes of her parents?
    Itís really simple, Maynerd*. Donít come across as a chesty, hyper-aggressive clichť. Actually commit to listening to others. Engage in witty, meaningful conversation. And listen to her. If you commit to that behavior, you become desirable, and youíll be pleasantly surprised that a significant # of women around you no longer start at DEFCON 4 the moment you enter their airspace.

But guys are lazy and afraid to open up, and itís easy to treat a woman as a commodity.

* Not directed at you. But to men who apparently need clarification as to what they can and cannot do.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

So much hyperbole, so little time. Men still get to talk to the cute blonde at work. Just talk to her with the same amount of respect you'd give to the boomer hag in the next cubicle. You tell us that you are a gentleman and have always treated women with respect. I have no reason to doubt you. Is it too much to ask that that you hold other men to the same standard that you hold yourself? That's really all anyone is asking.

Iíve talked to women at work many times, become good friends with some of them. Iíve talked with them while thinking how outrageously beautiful they are. Iíve complimented them, carefully. I stay in my lane. Itís not that hard.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...alflow-organic
    President Donald Trump and the Republicansí tax cut is proving to be vastly more generous for corporate America, and vastly more expensive for taxpayers, than expected. Worse, the Trump Slump is erasing the bump the stock market received from the tax cuts.And evidence is mounting that the promised economic boost isnít materializing.
    Well duh.

So much hyperbole, so little time. Men still get to talk to the cute blonde at work. Just talk to her with the same amount of respect you'd give to the boomer hag in the next cubicle. You tell us that you are a gentleman and have always treated women with respect. I have no reason to doubt you. Is it too much to ask that that you hold other men to the same standard that you hold yourself? That's really all anyone is asking.
    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3
    Iíve talked to women at work many times, become good friends with some of them. Iíve talked with them while thinking how outrageously beautiful they are. Iíve complimented them, carefully. I stay in my lane. Itís not that hard.
    I know, I know. And, I DO expect other people to comport themselves as gentlemen, and I am very frequently disappointed in their failure to do so. One such disappointment lives in the White House.

I just have issues with the concept where talking to a woman on the street, or in a bar, or in some other setting where you don't have a previous introduction, is time-wasting, unwelcome and threatening, but doing so at work (in a respectful manner) is not.

[Pre-emptive: "You're time-wasting, unwelcome and threatening."]

I'm really glad I'm not single. The rules of engagement seem to change by the hour, and most everything, for the man, is now socially unacceptable.

- President Barack Obama

I know, I know. And, I DO expect other people to comport themselves as gentlemen, and I am very frequently disappointed in their failure to do so. One such disappointment lives in the White House.

I just have issues with the concept where talking to a woman on the street, or in a bar, or in some other setting where you don't have a previous introduction, is time-wasting, unwelcome and threatening, but doing so at work (in a respectful manner) is not.

[Pre-emptive: "You're time-wasting, unwelcome and threatening."]

I'm really glad I'm not single. The rules of engagement seem to change by the hour, and most everything, for the man, is now socially unacceptable.
    Again, itís not that hard. Going up to a strange woman on the street because "Oooh you hot" is generally not appropriate. If you want to talk to her, it should be because you have something to say to her about something other than your desire to take her clothes off. (Turning my head briefly to look at her butt might be frowned on by some, but Iím not planning to give it up.)

In the ad, the absolute only thing the guy knew was "Oooh you hot." That was the only reason he wanted to pursue her - he had nothing else to say to her, no other reason to talk to her.

well this pervert picked the wrong house.....

https://nypost.com/2019/01/16/ex-nfl...ghters-window/

Ex-NFL player sacks peeping Tom outside daughter’s window
    And as a person who is named Tom it hurts me to have my name associated with such low-lifes.

Thread Information