+ Reply to Thread
Page 697 of 931 FirstFirst ... 197 597 647 687 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 707 747 797 ... LastLast
Results 17,401 to 17,425 of 23265

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    Youíre calling it intended rape because she was not the age of consent right?
    She WAS bought.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yes. What he intended to do was rape.
    Not from his point of view. Thereís no evidence that shows he knew she was 18. Statutory rape is different from rape. Thereís no evidence that shows she was in physical danger
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    She WAS bought.
    You keep saying this but itís not true. How many times do I have to say it. She was not bought. Bought mean she was bought from the pimp. This isnít what happened

Hope is eternal

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    She WAS bought.
    Indeed. This creep bought this minor, tried to rape her and we are supppsed to feel bad for this creep? Wow

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Indeed. This creep bought this minor, tried to rape her and we are supppsed to feel bad for this creep? Wow
    So in conencticut where the age of consent is 16 he wouldn’t be a creep right, since it would be legal right? Who said anything about feeling bad for him.

Not from his point of view. Thereís no evidence that shows he knew she was 18. Statutory rape is different from rape. Thereís no evidence that shows she was in physical danger
    No, statutory rape is rape, and it doesn't matter if he knew it or not. His point of view is irrelevant, it's still rape whether he thinks it is or not. It's his responsibility.

It obviously didn't matter to him if she was of age or not. He wasn't paying for her because she looked mature.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

So in conencticut where the age of consent is 16 he wouldn’t be a creep right, since it would be legal right? Who said anything about feeling bad for him.
    Obviously, what constitutes rape depends on legal definitions from state to state. It's still rape.

Ad for the life of me, I still can't figure out why this is important to you.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

No, statutory rape is rape, and it doesn't matter if he knew it or not. His point of view is irrelevant, it's still rape whether he thinks it is or not. It's his responsibility.

It obviously didn't matter to him if she was of age or not. He wasn't paying for her because she looked mature.

There are differences between statutory rape and rape.

NYYF Cy Young

I feel like I'm watching two people argue over which shade of white OJ's Bronco was.
    Jingoism is not Patriotism

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I feel like I'm watching two people argue over which shade of white OJ's Bronco was.
    The reason why itís relevant is because of self defense. Statutory rape has nothing to with force while rape can, but not always. The point is to just call this rape is misleading, as they never had sex nor does any evidence prove she was never in danger. She admitted to executing him. She killed him while he was sleeping and robbed him. Some of the media have portrayed this as a self defense case as if she was innocent when she was not. Again, thatís why my issue here.

The reason why itís relevant is because of self defense. Statutory rape has nothing to with force while rape can, but not always. The point is to just call this rape is misleading, as they never had sex nor does any evidence prove she was never in danger. She admitted to executing him. She killed him while he was sleeping and robbed him. Some of the media have portrayed this as a self defense case as if she was innocent when she was not. Again, thatís why my issue here.
    Why is it important that this be portrayed according to your standards of accuracy? Why does this case matter? Why do you care if some people portray it as self-defense?

NYYF Legend

I think she was in a very bad situation largely through no fault of her own who also made some poor life decisions compounding her problems. For which she spend half of her life behind bars and has now been granted her freedom from jail.

By all accounts she is a changed women from the girl who shot and killed a man who at best hired her unknowingly as an underage prostitute and at worst trafficed her from her pimp.

Honestly I feel bad for all parties involved. I hope she can go on and make a positive contribution with the rest of her life.

But to have the details of her life leading up to the shooting ans not acknowledge she was some kind of victim is just pig headed. IMHO
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Why is it important that this be portrayed according to your standards of accuracy? Why does this case matter? Why do you care if some people portray it as self-defense?
    I donít like when the media twists stories in an attempt to fit their narrative like theyíve done with this story. Celebrities have done it too. Why does it matter to you if itís important to me. You chose to engage in the discussion and when presented with the actual of the facts of the case, you defaulted to asking me why itís important

I donít like when the media twists stories in an attempt to fit their narrative like theyíve done with this story. Celebrities have done it too. Why does it matter to you if itís important to me. You chose to engage in the discussion and when presented with the actual of the facts of the case, you defaulted to asking me why itís important
    No, I knew the facts of the case. I started out by asking you why it was important. Nothing is affected by how the case is presented. If people have misconceptions that affect absolutely nothing, why is that a line to draw?

Iím interested because the last case you reacted this strongly to was the "disgusting" allegation of sexual harassment.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I think she was in a very bad situation largely through no fault of her own who also made some poor life decisions compounding her problems. For which she spend half of her life behind bars and has now been granted her freedom from jail.

By all accounts she is a changed women from the girl who shot and killed a man who at best hired her unknowingly as an underage prostitute and at worst trafficed her from her pimp.

Honestly I feel bad for all parties involved. I hope she can go on and make a positive contribution with the rest of her life.

But to have the details of her life leading up to the shooting ans not acknowledge she was some kind of victim is just pig headed. IMHO
    I agree with everything but the bold.

Acknowledging her as a victim, which she is, doesnít change anything. Itís a well known fact that she is a victim. whether I say it or not doesnít change the validity of the facts that Iíve presented.

And no she wasnít trafficked through a pimp to him so thatís not a possibility, she admitted this.

No, I knew the facts of the case. I started out by asking you why it was important. Nothing is affected by how the case is presented. If people have misconceptions that affect absolutely nothing, why is that a line to draw?

Iím interested because the last case you reacted this strongly to was the "disgusting" allegation of sexual harassment.
    No you didnít know the facts because you first said he raped her when he didnít. They never had sex. This is my exact problem. People spreading misinformation which began from media and celebrities. This isnít the first time and it wonít be the last. They undercut this one big time. Dangerous practice. And the people should hold them accountable. Thatís why Iím POed about it

What case are you referring to exactly, I think I brought up multiple.

No you didnít know the facts because you first said he raped her when he didnít. They never had sex. This is my exact problem. People spreading misinformation which began from media and celebrities. This isnít the first time and it wonít be the last. They undercut this one big time. Dangerous practice. And the people should hold them accountable. Thatís why Iím POed about it

What case are you referring to exactly, I think I brought up multiple.
    He paid to rape her. There are a lot of distinctions here that you think are very very important that actually make not the slightest difference.

He paid to rape her There are a lot of distinctions here that you think are very very important that actually make not the slightest difference.
    What does this statement prove

What does this statement prove
    What does any of this prove? We agree on the outcome. For some reason, youíre outraged that the correct outcome is being portrayed in ways that have no bearing on anything.

NYYF Legend

What does any of this prove? We agree on the outcome. For some reason, youíre outraged that the correct outcome is being portrayed in ways that have no bearing on anything.
    Old man yells at cloud syndrome.
    Although I think in this case it might be Young Man yells at cloud syndrome.
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Old man yells at cloud syndrome.
    Although I think in this case it might be Young Man yells at cloud syndrome.
    Yes. If 23 is young. Than yes

NYYF Legend

Yes. If 23 is young. Than yes
    You're my son's age. Or he will be your age in a few months. So yes I then to think of you as young.
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Youíre trying to say itís worse now (ďWe let it happenĒ) than itís been in previous eras. Thatís false.
    The more we let them get away with it, the worse it gets. Once they get away with illegal wars or building 5 billion dollar walls--the more it will happen. Once power is given its hardly ever given back.
    Fully operational Death Star

I think Tulsi would be a homerun for the Democrats.
    https://reason.com/blog/2019/01/11/t...t-2020#comment
    Fully operational Death Star

Quote Originally Posted by Jburke View Post
    I think Tulsi would be a homerun for the Democrats.
    https://reason.com/blog/2019/01/11/t...t-2020#comment
    I'll pass. She's no progressive.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/05/t...mocratic-party

Thread Information