+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 299 FirstFirst ... 40 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 60 100 150 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 7466

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BRenninger View Post
    I do find it troubling that everyone in 45*'s administration challenges our judiciary.
    Yep. This is much more concern-ful than dismissal of Hawaii as an island in the Pacific.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Yep. This is much more concern-ful than dismissal of Hawaii as an island in the Pacific.
    Sessions is an ass. It's more the way he said it like it was Japan or something running US policy and not one of the 50 states.

The Republicans are funny (Democrats can be too) when the courts rule their way it's all sunshine and roses when they the court rules against them it's all some plot to destroy the constitution.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by BRenninger View Post
    A judge Sessions voted "yay" to confirm.
    Not really concerned with Session's statement about HI.
    I do find it troubling that everyone in 45*'s administration challenges our judiciary.
    His statement was dumb and a sign of poor leadership. Again, the citizens of Hawaii, no matter how they voted in the election or what this judge did, deserve every bit of respect that anyone else does. It infuriates me that politicians pander to their base and make disparaging comments towards any Americans.

Agreed with the bolded. However, this goes back to John's prior boilerplate comment and my issue with people that get selectively outraged along party lines. Obama criticized the supreme court to their faces in a 2010 state of the union address. Less than a year ago he took them to task for blocking his executive order on immigration.

For many, the pop shots at the judiciary or the citizens of this country matter only depending on who takes them. And that not only enables politicians to continue dividing the country, it incentivizes them to do it. Rally the base, eff everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    His statement was dumb and a sign of poor leadership. Again, the citizens of Hawaii, no matter how they voted in the election or what this judge did, deserve every bit of respect that anyone else does. It infuriates me that politicians pander to their base and make disparaging comments towards any Americans.

Agreed with the bolded. However, this goes back to John's prior boilerplate comment and my issue with people that get selectively outraged along party lines. Obama criticized the supreme court to their faces in a 2010 state of the union address. Less than a year ago he took them to task for blocking his executive order on immigration.

For many, the pop shots at the judiciary or the citizens of this country matter only depending on who takes them. And that not only enables politicians to continue dividing the country, it incentivizes them to do it. Rally the base, eff everyone else.
    You do the exact same thing. Why not focus on specific issues you have a problem with instead of "calling out" people for demonstrating the same biases you have? And not all comments or people are built equally. This need to insist every person and argument and action are equal is intellectually infantile.

Quote Originally Posted by BRenninger
    A judge Sessions voted "yay" to confirm.
    This statement, incidentally, is completely meaningless.

In 2006, the Senate (including Senators Obama, Clinton, and Biden) voted UNANIMOUSLY to confirm Neil Gorsuch as a Judge on the 10th Circuit. Eleven years later, the Democrats in the Senate tried to block even taking a vote on his nomination to the Supreme Court. And when the GOP forced the vote, 43 out of 46 Democrats voted against him.

Confirmation of judges has become over-politicized. The Senate...the entire Senate...should be embarrassed.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Gregorius Chant View Post
    You do the exact same thing. Why not focus on specific issues you have a problem with instead of "calling out" people for demonstrating the same biases you have? And not all comments or people are built equally. This need to insist every person and argument and action are equal is intellectually infantile.
    No, I don't. Stop trollsplaining.

GC, everybody.

If ya'll would stop quoting it, that would be great.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    If ya'll would stop quoting it, that would be great.
    Exactly. I think most people fully realize what is going on and manage to ignore it
    Posts in invisible key strokes

No, I don't. Stop trollsplaining.
    Sure you do. There's this weird phenomenon with the right wing guys in the thread in which they've convinced themselves they're unbiased observers playing umpire.

NYYF Legend

This statement, incidentally, is completely meaningless.

In 2006, the Senate (including Senators Obama, Clinton, and Biden) voted UNANIMOUSLY to confirm Neil Gorsuch as a Judge on the 10th Circuit. Eleven years later, the Democrats in the Senate tried to block even taking a vote on his nomination to the Supreme Court. And when the GOP forced the vote, 43 out of 46 Democrats voted against him.

Confirmation of judges has become over-politicized. The Senate...the entire Senate...should be embarrassed.
    Pretty sure that started with the Republicans saying, nah, don't really want to do our job, maybe next year.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

No, I don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregorius Chant
    Sure you do.

[Moderator]

Seriously?

I have a great idea. Let's steer the thread back to Non-Presidential News Stories, and stop the infantile back-and-forth concerning who said what and what other people "really" mean. It makes the entire thread cumbersome and unreadable, not to mention annoying. Just stop.

[/Moderator]

- President Barack Obama

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Using your own logic, I'm sure you're on record as having blasted the GOP for refusing to consider Garland, or for their refusal to do their jobs for several years when Obama was president? Asking for a friend.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Pretty sure that started with the Republicans saying, nah, don't really want to do our job, maybe next year.
    It did. The Republicans should never have held up Garland's nomination. That really seems to have been on Mitch McConnell's shoulders, and not the entire party, but the party needs to share the blame for allowing McConnell to stonewall it. However, is the adult response to that action then stonewalling the GOP's nomination? Seems more the Senatorial version of "I know you are, but what am I?"

Their job is to represent the American People. Both parties fail at doing so. Using "they did it first" as a defense is childish.

- President Barack Obama

"Raised Jewish, Chaffetz converted to Mormonism during his college years."

:thinking:

First, Americans are far too easily offended. We need thicker skins. All of us.
    Who should decide what's offensive?

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    "Raised Jewish, Chaffetz converted to Mormonism during his college years."

:thinking:
    That's a man who sees religion as a means to an end.

(he's also a man who apparently wants to get out while the getting's good so as to not damage his ambitions down the line)...
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Who should decide what's offensive?
    That may not be definable.

But can you agree that the statement is accurate? It happens way too much. It's really over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post

But can you agree that the statement is accurate? It happens way too much. It's really over the top.
    I can't believe you just said that.

*storms off*

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    That's a man who sees religion as a means to an end.

(he's also a man who apparently wants to get out while the getting's good so as to not damage his ambitions down the line)...
    he got nuked by the fbi

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I can't believe you just said that.

*storms off*
    suck it up, buttercup

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post

I don't think it's nearly as over the top as you do and I think there's a lot of victim blaming from the "get over it" side and not nearly enough listening as to why people are offended. Since it isn't something that can be defined, I'm not as inclined to judge. Of course there are times when I do. It's human nature. But more often than not, I find that if someone is offended by something that I don't really get and it's not a burden to defer to their feelings, why not do so?

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I don't think it's nearly as over the top as you do and I think there's a lot of victim blaming from the "get over it" side and not nearly enough listening as to why people are offended.
    I'm offended by being called the "get over it" side.

- President Barack Obama

I'm offended by being called the "get over it" side.
    Really? Could you share why? I'd really like it if you would help me to better understand your concerns.

You do the exact same thing.

Thread Information