+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 216 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

I was kind of disappointed SNL didn't do something on whatever you want call what Kellyanne Conway was wearing for the inauguration.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I was kind of disappointed SNL didn't do something on whatever you want call what Kellyanne Conway was wearing for the inauguration.
    I always said Woody Woodpecker wears that outfit so much better.
    SJW - bad attempt at insulting people that care about other's rights and not just their own.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    My friend was there and said it was massive!

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    I always said Woody Woodpecker wears that outfit so much better.
    I have these decorative nutcrackers we put out every year for Christmas. I swear they modeled that coat from one of those nutcrackers.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

I have these decorative nutcrackers we put out every year for Christmas. I swear they modeled that coat from one of those nutcrackers.
    youre a decorative nutcracker

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    youre a decorative nutcracker
    we all have our roles to play in life

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

on a british radio comedy show, one comedian said something like "i kinda feel bad for all the mean things i've said about her, i mean, just looking at that picture you realise she's mentally disabled."
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I'm not defending those that stand behind their faith when it infringes on the rights of others, but I'm also not sure why demeaning something that is central in many people's lives is acceptable.
    it could also be sea wizard like poseidon.

ajra21,

What can you tell me about Nigel Farage? He was hired by Faux News as a political commentator.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    ajra21,

What can you tell me about Nigel Farage? He was hired by Faux News as a political commentator.
    BBC had some thoughts...

http://southendnewsnetwork.com/news/...-nigel-farage/
    Leotardo. That's my f***in' legacy... No more, Butchie. No more of this.

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    ajra21,

I'm not Alex, but he was very instrumental (maybe the driving force?) behind the success of Brexit.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    Well, this is a pretty hypocritical and unfunny position. You post about your disdain for those that demean others that don't share "their type of freedom", yet it's perfectly ok for you to show a rather high degree of disrespect for something that is extremely important to many of the people that share this planet with you because they don't share "your type of faith" or lack thereof.

You can disagree with organized religion without mocking broad swaths of people or caricaturing their belief system. Boo.

on a british radio comedy show, one comedian said something like "i kinda feel bad for all the mean things i've said about her, i mean, just looking at that picture you realise she's mentally disabled."
    Ah, British humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    I'm not Alex, but he was very instrumental (maybe the driving force?) behind the success of Brexit.
    I remember he indicated there was fake news and misinformation out there, leading the masses to vote for the wrong reasons. I was wondering if Farage was behind those stories.

If true, shocking he's at FNC! And that philleotardo link couldn't have been an accident, could it?

I agree that there's no need to mock religion in general. If it helps people get through the day without hurting others, it doesn't matter if you think it's a Wrong Idea.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I agree that there's no need to mock religion in general. If it helps people get through the day without hurting others, it doesn't matter if you think it's a Wrong Idea.
    Meh, it doesn't bother me. If I crawled up into a fetal position every time someone mocked my Faith it wouldn't be much of a Faith to begin with.

NYYF Legend

I agree with this.

I embrace no single religion, but I have a relationship with a higher power (sky wizard if you prefer--my HP is not picky about labels). I can tolerate or even embrace the part that is beautiful in any religion, and reject that which may be intolerant and inhuman in any religion.

To mock or categorically reject all religions as without worth is deny a basic human need for understanding of our place in the universe and demonize the font of much of our world's great art, music and architecture. I think it is a shame that a teacher is so narrow minded. I can even find good things to say about world views without a higher power, except when they ridicule the views that have them.

A faith does not have to be correct to do good, and most do at least some good.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Bringing this from the President Trump thread, why exactly is Jackson on the $20 bill? Texsahara sent me a very informative link (http://www.vox.com/2016/4/20/1146951...indian-removal) to his legacy, and I'm baffled. All I knew was that he was a slave owner. Not that this isn't enough to make you a terrible person, but due to the time period I expected that was the norm and he had done something to warrant being on our money. Especially a bill that is probably the second most used bill on a day to day basis. From everything I read he was just pure evil. I can't even believe he became president.

Here was the original discussion:

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Of course, Jackson is a pretty big stain on this country's history. Any sane person would run in the opposite direction from a Jackson analogy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    If he's such a stain why is he on the $20 bill? Serious question.

I know he was a slave owner. I'm surprised this isn't been an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Well, this is a pretty hypocritical and unfunny position. You post about your disdain for those that demean others that don't share "their type of freedom", yet it's perfectly ok for you to show a rather high degree of disrespect for something that is extremely important to many of the people that share this planet with you because they don't share "your type of faith" or lack thereof.

You can disagree with organized religion without mocking broad swaths of people or caricaturing their belief system. Boo.
    first, letís separate the faith from the religion.

if someone want to suspend empirical thinking so they can chose to believe in a super-nurtural being who at some point, maybe currently, has a say in how our world & lives takes place - go ahead.

does it concern me that we have a large group of people who spend their days gathering information & evidence on aspects to support reasons for why/how stuff should be done; only for the same people to revert to ďnope, i believe in X based on nothing but faith - you cannot critique/mock itĒ?

yes, it concerns me. that wa the spanish inquisition or the reason many left britain for the new world all those centuries ago.

as for the religion. mainly, itís geography & tradition that leads people to their choice of which religion they want to follow. very similar to how we pick our sports teams. we have an interest in something, we look around & find what fits us best. might be locality, might be influence by our community or family.

i believe everyone has the right to practice their religion however they want. i have and will defend that right in whatever way i can. i support my familyís right to practice catholicism. iíve stood up for the right of pupils in my class to practice their islamic faith during school days (allowed in the UK). iíve pushed for the inclusion of jewish symbols on new war memorials.

if there is anyone here who has been prevented from achieving/gaining something because another person has held their religion against them, we should all (in the free world US, UK, australia, NZ, canada, western europe & beyond) be prepared to stand up & prevent it from happening again.

iíve read the vast majority of scared texts from around the world. the overall difference between them is negligible. none have secrets the others donít. they were all written by men. they were all written by men at a time we lacked insight & understand of the world we lived in.

if you want to accept those texts as a way of living your life, go ahead.

but none of that prevents us from making jokes or questioning the beliefs that others have decided to follow simply because itís a religion. people have made a choice to believe/follow a religion. weíre not talking about the colour of someones skin or the country they were born in or their sexuality. weíre talking someoneís accent or physical defect. if we can laugh at/about the hieroglyphics of ancient egypt or the suppose powers of apollo, we can laugh at modern religions.

religion & faith is a choice. choices are allowed to be questioned & mocked.

so feel free to boo me. that is your choice. i'm ok with it. my convictions are strong enough to ok.

- - - -

in the big scheme of things, i feel ok about faith/religion. the more we educate & think about the world, the fewer people decide to rely on non-empirical ways of living their lives. i look for small increments over periods of time and the trends shows declining rates in those supporting organised religions & faith.

logical & reasoned progression is only ever impeded by corrutpion. generally, we see it in our govts where big money prevents the right decisions being made; or in organised religion preventing medical practices that would improve society & individuals lives.

someone asked a question about why some people donít want others to have the same freedom they do. the answer was organised religion. that influence should not occur in the US as it has separation of church & state.

very soon after, i pointed how this is a shame cos i know so many people of faith/religion who do not let their god rules prevent other from having equality.

Meh, it doesn't bother me. If I crawled up into a fetal position every time someone mocked my Faith it wouldn't be much of a Faith to begin with.
    absolutely frickiní right muggs. if i got worried every time someone made a joke about me being an agnostic/atheist, living in the US might be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    I agree with this.

I embrace no single religion, but I have a relationship with a higher power (sky wizard if you prefer--my HP is not picky about labels). I can tolerate or even embrace the part that is beautiful in any religion, and reject that which may be intolerant and inhuman in any religion.

To mock or categorically reject all religions as without worth is deny a basic human need for understanding of our place in the universe and demonize the font of much of our world's great art, music and architecture. I think it is a shame that a teacher is so narrow minded. I can even find good things to say about world views without a higher power, except when they ridicule the views that have them.

A faith does not have to be correct to do good, and most do at least some good.
    i'm not narrow-minded on this. i have never closed my mind off to the exist of a super-natural being. a part of me would like that city to exist.

i have taken pupils to many different religion ceremonies and spent countless hours discussing the variety & validly of these beliefs. off the top of my head, i've brought six ministers from different religions into my classroom to discuss their faith encouraging pupils to attend those various religious establishments. i've supported pupils in their studies for entry into church schools & have attended.

people have taken offence at the term "sky wizards". it's a damn good term, i first heard during a lecture by a welsh priest & muslim imam who were attempting to bring their two congregations together. both used it.

- - -

all of this has, regrettably, detracted from the serious raised regarding people not wanting freedom for everyone.

first, let’s separate the faith from the religion.

if someone want to suspend empirical thinking so they can chose to believe in a super-nurtural being who at some point, maybe currently, has a say in how our world & lives takes place - go ahead.

does it concern me that we have a large group of people who spend their days gathering information & evidence on aspects to support reasons for why/how stuff should be done; only for the same people to revert to “nope, i believe in X based on nothing but faith - you cannot critique/mock it”?

yes, it concerns me. that wa the spanish inquisition or the reason many left britain for the new world all those centuries ago.

as for the religion. mainly, it’s geography & tradition that leads people to their choice of which religion they want to follow. very similar to how we pick our sports teams. we have an interest in something, we look around & find what fits us best. might be locality, might be influence by our community or family.

i believe everyone has the right to practice their religion however they want. i have and will defend that right in whatever way i can. i support my family’s right to practice catholicism. i’ve stood up for the right of pupils in my class to practice their islamic faith during school days (allowed in the UK). i’ve pushed for the inclusion of jewish symbols on new war memorials.

if there is anyone here who has been prevented from achieving/gaining something because another person has held their religion against them, we should all (in the free world US, UK, australia, NZ, canada, western europe & beyond) be prepared to stand up & prevent it from happening again.

i’ve read the vast majority of scared texts from around the world. the overall difference between them is negligible. none have secrets the others don’t. they were all written by men. they were all written by men at a time we lacked insight & understand of the world we lived in.

if you want to accept those texts as a way of living your life, go ahead.

but none of that prevents us from making jokes or questioning the beliefs that others have decided to follow simply because it’s a religion. people have made a choice to believe/follow a religion. we’re not talking about the colour of someones skin or the country they were born in or their sexuality. we’re talking someone’s accent or physical defect. if we can laugh at/about the hieroglyphics of ancient egypt or the suppose powers of apollo, we can laugh at modern religions.

religion & faith is a choice. choices are allowed to be questioned & mocked.

so feel free to boo me. that is your choice. i'm ok with it. my convictions are strong enough to ok.

- - - -

in the big scheme of things, i feel ok about faith/religion. the more we educate & think about the world, the fewer people decide to rely on non-empirical ways of living their lives. i look for small increments over periods of time and the trends shows declining rates in those supporting organised religions & faith.

logical & reasoned progression is only ever impeded by corrutpion. generally, we see it in our govts where big money prevents the right decisions being made; or in organised religion preventing medical practices that would improve society & individuals lives.

someone asked a question about why some people don’t want others to have the same freedom they do. the answer was organised religion. that influence should not occur in the US as it has separation of church & state.

very soon after, i pointed how this is a shame cos i know so many people of faith/religion who do not let their god rules prevent other from having equality.

absolutely frickin’ right muggs. if i got worried every time someone made a joke about me being an agnostic/atheist, living in the US might be a problem.
    Not all truths can be measured or validated empirically, and there's nothing inherently superior about the ones that can be. You uprooted your life and crossed an ocean on a leap of faith, not on anything scientific. There's no empirical basis for the truths revealed by the "Eroica" or Shakespeare or Picasso or Eric Clapton playing "Have You Ever Loved a Woman." but I understand the world and my life better through them than through string theory.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

White nationalist leader Richard Spencer was punched in the face on camera as he spoke to a reporter on camera after Donald Trumpís inauguration on Friday.
    He was in the middle of explaining the significance of Pepe the frog ó a cartoon character that white nationalists have coopted as their own symbol ó to a reporter when an unidentified person popped on camera and socked him.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b070d8cad2b1f0

Bwahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Gregorius Chant View Post
    I feel about that punch sort of the same way I feel about Dylann Roof getting the death penalty. I find it completely indefensible under all circumstances, but I'm not going to shed any tears for
    Richard Spencer, either.
    - Barry Manilow

I feel about that punch sort of the same way I feel about Dylann Roof getting the death penalty. I find it completely indefensible under all circumstances, but I'm not going to shed any tears for
    Richard Spencer, either.
    At least no one can ever say he wouldn't know violence and hatred even if it punched him in the face.

Thread Information