+ Reply to Thread
Page 476 of 526 FirstFirst ... 376 426 466 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 486 ... LastLast
Results 11,876 to 11,900 of 13145

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Encouraging your girlfriend to have an abortion while being anti-choice. I didn't know we had House GOP members posting here.
    This person shares a personal story with regrets and you shame him. Very rude on your part and save the judgments for your own behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    Whether we want the precedent to be established or not, it has been established.
    So, what happens if the Democrats should gain control of the Senate while there's a Republican President? When a vacancy in SCOTUS occurs, POTUS rightfully sends his nomination to the Senate. The obstructionist Senate says no. POTUS comes up with a new nominee. Rinse, repeat. Do we just deal with an 8 or 7 Judge SCOTUS until such time as the Senate and White House are controlled by the same party? Do we ask the last surviving Supreme Court Justice to turn out the lights when he leaves?

Reid started it, and McConnell made it much, much worse, but the Senate's job is not to select the next SCOTUS or Executive appointment. It's job is to review and approve, if the candidate is qualified. "Consent" was never intended to mean "stonewall" or "override based on politics."

We need patriots instead of partisan hacks in Washington.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    You're against abortion but wanted your ex GF to have one? It was your child, I assume.
    Yes my child. And yes. At the last moments I really didn’t wanna do it. Sitting in that planned parenthood at 19 years old and feeling powerless was one of the scariest moments of my life. Really though it was probably for the best, she’s way too narcissistic to be a parent. But yeah over the last couple of days before the abortion I was really having second thoughts which I vocalized
    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    That is pretty rude, Rhodey. He told his story, which he certainly did not have to do, and admits that he regretted his behavior. Why shame him?
    I think he was just trying to be funny, but it’s not something that should be joked about. I also wouldn’t describe myself as anti choice, I don’t think the federal government should be involved with laws on abortion. I just don’t see abortion as being moral. So if there’s a god I’ll have to answer for my sins
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    Yes my child. And yes. At the last moments I really didn’t wanna do it. Sitting in that planned parenthood at 19 years old and feeling powerless was one of the scariest moments of my life. Really though it was probably for the best, she’s way too narcissistic to be a parent. But yeah over the last couple of days before the abortion I was really having second thoughts which I vocalized

I think he was just trying to be funny, but it’s not something that should be joked about. I also wouldn’t describe myself as anti choice, I don’t think the federal government should be involved with laws on abortion. I just don’t see abortion as being moral. So if there’s a god I’ll have to answer for my sins
    Sorry if I came off as a jerk. I was trying to make a joke about the hypocrisy of the Republican party by the likes of Tim Murphy et. al.

Sorry if I came off as a jerk. I was trying to make a joke about the hypocrisy of the Republican party by the likes of Tim Murphy et. al.
    No biggy

Edit: I should’ve included the other part I mentioned afterword that I had second thoughts in the days leading up to it. That doesn’t change the way I acted before that though
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

There are two new books out arguing why we'll eventually need and how to pay for a UBI (universal basic income). As automation continues to grow and AI becomes more prevalent, wages and jobs will disappear en masse.

I don't pretend to know enough about economics to say whether or not it'll work or what the best way to go about doing it is, but it's an interesting premise and I'll be reading these books.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/09/b...al-people.html

There are two new books out arguing why we'll eventually need and how to pay for a UBI (universal basic income). As automation continues to grow and AI becomes more prevalent, wages and jobs will disappear en masse.
    It's good, in theory, but in practice the only way to pay for it would be to create UBI in lieu of existing assistance programs. If you make food stamps, welfare, subsidized housing and school lunches go away, what's the advantage to UBI (aside from eliminating the associated bureaucrats)?

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    It's good, in theory, but in practice the only way to pay for it would be to create UBI in lieu of existing assistance programs. If you make food stamps, welfare, subsidized housing and school lunches go away, what's the advantage to UBI (aside from eliminating the associated bureaucrats)?
    Right, and the article (written by Robert Reich) goes into that tradeoff and a little of the economic infeasibility. It's why I want to read the books.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Thanks for clarifying.

My position on abortion is simple: whoever’s body gets to decide.

More than 60% of people in the US believe access to abortion should be legal.

The federal govt needs to be involved to ensure the majority and the individual get the right to make their decision.

I come from a country where abortion is settled - most modern countries it’s settled, and almost all are trending in the direction that the population believes in.

You said it was for the best, in your circumstance. This is why people should have the right to decide for themselves. If she wanted the child, she must be given that choice.

As for the hypocrisy, it exists. THere are numerous hypocrites (mainly of the right) who say one thing and then do the opposite. Parallels exist with equal rights for non-heterosexuals. “I’m not for them being allowed to marry, oh my son has told me he’s gay? They should obviously be allowed to marry.”

And if you want to reduce abortion, improve sex ed and access to contraceptives. People are gonna have sex.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

My position on abortion is simple: whoever’s body gets to decide.

This is why people should have the right to decide for themselves.
    But we're not talking about having a mole removed. The anti-abortion faction will point out that there are two bodies involved, and that only one of them gets a voice in the decision.

Trivializing abortion by ignoring the second body, or dismissing the entire procedure as a 'choice,' no more or less than deciding what color shoes to wear, only serves to embolden the anti-abortion proponents.

- President Barack Obama

But we're not talking about having a mole removed. The anti-abortion faction will point out that there are two bodies involved, and that only one of them gets a voice in the decision.

Trivializing abortion by ignoring the second body, or dismissing the entire procedure as a 'choice,' no more or less than deciding what color shoes to wear, only serves to embolden the anti-abortion proponents.
    I was not trivialising abortion.

Women’s body. Women’s choice. The majority of the population have reached a consensus about this.

NYYF Legend

Women’s body. Women’s choice. The majority of the population have reached a consensus about this.
    I believe Maynerd's point was the "pro-life" side says this trivializes the unborn fetus.

Not saying this is right or wrong just that that is point Maynerd is trying to convey.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Let’s say a successful 27 year old who does well for himself, knocks up a 21 year old. 21 year old doesn’t want the baby, doesn’t want to be pregnant, wants to get an abortion. 27 year old wants the kid because he can support it.

This is where I’m at a loss because while I sort of agree with the notion that it’s her body, I feel like the father should have some rights but those two things can’t really coexist.

I never felt more powerless than in that planned parenthood. I had no say or rights. They wouldn’t even let me in the room to discuss anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I believe Maynerd's point was the "pro-life" side says this trivializes the unborn fetus.

Not saying this is right or wrong just that that is point Maynerd is trying to convey.
    The anti-abortion crowd can point out whatever they want. I do not have to agree with it. I don't agree that there are two bodies involved. I believe there is is one body and a parasitic collection of human tissue and DNA. They call it a body, a baby, a human being, a person. I call it none of those things and believe they are wrong. I can't think of any reason to defer to their beliefs.
    The feminist agenda ... encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians. ~Pat Robertson 1992

NYYF Legend

Let’s say a successful 27 year old who does well for himself, knocks up a 21 year old. 21 year old doesn’t want the baby, doesn’t want to be pregnant, wants to get an abortion. 27 year old wants the kid because he can support it.

This is where I’m at a loss because while I sort of agree with the notion that it’s her body, I feel like the father should have some rights but those two things can’t really coexist.

I never felt more powerless than in that planned parenthood. I had no say or rights. They wouldn’t even let me in the room to discuss anything.
    I'm sympathetic to this situation but have a feeling this is atypical of what happens to women who are considering an abortion.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    The anti-abortion crowd can point out whatever they want. I do not have to agree with it. I don't agree that there are two bodies involved. I believe there is is one body and a parasitic collection of human tissue and DNA. They call it a body, a baby, a human being, a person. I call it none of those things and believe they are wrong. I can't think of any reason to defer to their beliefs.
    And I fully understand and agree with your position.

But when one side calls it "murder" and the other side does not. You can sort of see where the heated arguments come from.
    Baseball is life;

You realize they don't want to invest in people, right? That the tax cut was solely to boost the coffers of the very rich?
    Which is why it chaps me. We're agreeing here. I think that Trump and his administration should be held accountable for selling reform to the public as putting money back into the pockets of the middle class and then also the economy. That clearly is not happening, at least directly. I said this before the reforms were approved... that I am against it without stipulations that companies can only achieve the benefits if they can evidence they are reinvesting in people rather than stockholders.

Investing in people costs money. Buying back stocks makes money. It's simple math.
    That's what I said.

I'm sympathetic to this situation but have a feeling this is atypical of what happens to women who are considering an abortion.
    I’d agree with that. There’s probably a low percentage of cases where the guy wants to keep it and the girl doesn’t.

And thankfully this isn’t something I had to go through as we were both just really torn and confused

Women's body. She makes the call.

If you're in a relationship, you can discuss it. Good, healthy, well-balanced relationships are the key to life. But she is going to carry it so she gets to make the call.

Indeed.

The federal law is relatively simple: it states a woman has the right to make decisions about her own body.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Which is why it chaps me. We're agreeing here. I think that Trump and his administration should be held accountable for selling reform to the public as putting money back into the pockets of the middle class and then also the economy. That clearly is not happening, at least directly. I said this before the reforms were approved... that I am against it without stipulations that companies can only achieve the benefits if they can evidence they are reinvesting in people rather than stockholders.

That's what I said.
    They should be held accountable for lying. That said, if this were the case, he would not have come close to a single primary victory, let alone the presidency.

Thinking that Trump would pass laws that would not fill his own pockets (and those of people like him) was not only naive but bordering on foolish. Trump has been telling the world who he is for thirty plus years. He only has an interest in increasing his own power, finances, and ego.

If you believe in improving the middle classes in the US, it is very difficult (if not impossible) to make a case for the Republican Party. They have spent 40 years making it weaker and less financially secure. Almost every law they pass and every judge they appoint backs large companies at the expense of those who work for these companies. If they had full control, most of the nation would be utterly screwed - and they're exceedingly close to having full control.

Women's body. She makes the call.
    What if she makes the call to have the baby? Does the father then have any financial responsibility? Her body. Her call. That should leave the father completely off the hook, no?

- President Barack Obama

What if she makes the call to have the baby? Does the father then have any financial responsibility? Her body. Her call. That should leave the father completely off the hook, no?
    No. Once the baby is born it has rights of it's own.
    The feminist agenda ... encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians. ~Pat Robertson 1992

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post

That's what I said.
    And like clockwork...

https://itep.org/the-immediate-econo...than-expected/

Before the recent tax law passed, multiple economists across the political spectrum warned it was an ill-timed fiscal stimulus that could leave policymakers in a quandary should the country face another economic recession in the near future.

Now, new research from the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco finds that the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act may not be so much of a stimulus after all. In other words, lawmakers have left themselves with few options should the country face an economic recession, and the country may not receive a substantive economic benefit in the short term.

The key issue is that Congress historically has passed tax cuts on the scale of the TCJA when the economy was in recession or early in a recovery from recession. Lawmakers passed the TCJA in the eighth year of a recovery when most measures showed the economy already close to full capacity. According to the report, this means that rather than boosting GDP by 1 percent as some economic analysts have estimated, the impact of the TCJA could be “well below that” or even “zero” in 2018.
    or if you prefer you get your news from that liberal rag the Wall St. Journal

https://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2018...conomists-say/

The tax cuts Republicans enacted in late 2017 will likely provide less of a boost to economic growth than many forecasters predict—and possibly none at all—economists at the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco said Monday.

That’s because the changes took effect at a time when the economy was already firing on all cylinders. As a result, there are fewer unemployed workers, spare resources and idled factories ready to kick into action than there would have been during a downturn.

Citing a bevy of recent research, economists Tim Mahedy and Daniel J. Wilson said fiscal stimulus measures tend to make a bigger splash when there is more slack in the economy.

“The projected procyclical policy over the next few years may raise concerns regarding the nation’s fiscal capacity to respond to future downturns and its ability to manage the growing federal debt,” Messrs. Mahedy and Wilson wrote in an economic letter posted on the San Francisco Fed’s website. “However, it also has important implications for the macroeconomic impact of the fiscal stimulus represented by the [tax law] and the consequent increase in the deficit.”

No. He should support the mother and child.

No. He should support the mother and child.

Disagree. Why should he support the mother?

Thread Information