+ Reply to Thread
Page 475 of 530 FirstFirst ... 375 425 465 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 485 525 ... LastLast
Results 11,851 to 11,875 of 13245

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheHugeUnit2 View Post
    Dude abortion will be available for anyone who wants it. Like drugs, guns, prostitutes, etc. I'm not saying abortion should be illegal but if you want something in this world. You can get it.
    Dude it won't be easy, safe or affordable for a lot of women.
    The feminist agenda ... encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians. ~Pat Robertson 1992

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Dude it won't be easy, safe or affordable for a lot of women.
    If theres a market for it. They'll be there. I think Robert's will naturally become the swing vote but I have high doubts that roe v wade will be repealed perhaps amended though.

If theres a market for it. They'll be there. I think Robert's will naturally become the swing vote but I have high doubts that roe v wade will be repealed perhaps amended though.
    There was a market for it pre-Roe too.And it was there. It was not easy, safe, or affordable.
    The feminist agenda ... encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians. ~Pat Robertson 1992

Dude abortion will be available for anyone who wants it. Like drugs, guns, prostitutes, etc. I'm not saying abortion should be illegal but if you want something in this world. You can get it.
    OK Dude. Strong argument.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/07/10/inv...uts/index.html

Flooded with cash from the Republican tax cut, US public companies announced a whopping $436.6 billion worth of stock buybacks, according to research firm TrimTabs.

Not only is that most ever, it nearly doubles the previous record of $242.1 billion, which was set during the first three months of the year.
    It's possible that second-quarter economic growth figures, due out later this month, will show companies spent more on equipment, factories and other investments that create jobs and boost wages.

However, researchers at the San Francisco Federal Reserve said on Monday that the tax law may not pack much of a punch because the US economy was already healthy. Washington normally stimulates the economy during a downturn, not a boom.

The San Francisco Fed said that recent research suggests the tax cuts could boost the economy very little — or perhaps not at all.

A safer bet is that the explosion of buybacks will help enrich corporate executives, whose compensation is often linked to their share price.

There was a market for it pre-Roe too.
    That was 1973. Societal values have changed just a bit since then.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

https://deadspin.com/cardinals-presi...t-b-1827469262

Similarly to how Broncos GM John Elway wrote a letter of recommendation for then–Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch—this message was supposedly an independent act by Elway that was unaffiliated with the Broncos, even though the letter included the team logo letterhead, Elway’s title, and the team HQ’s address—Bidwill and some prep school classmates rounded up signatures and sent a letter to Senate leaders explaining what a swell guy Kavanaugh is. (Yankees GM Brian Cashman makes a cameo as one of the signees.) Then, Bidwill had his NFL team write about it:

“The purpose of the letter is to talk about Brett as a person,” Bidwill, out of the country on vacation, said in a phone interview. “We have known him and known what a brilliant mind he has. He’s eminently qualified.

“I think now that he’s been selected by the President, he will go through a thorough vetting process and as they go through that process they will learn about the great person we know. He is a man of high character, high intelligence, excellence and independence. We want to speak up and show our support as former classmates and long-time friends.”
    '

Bollocks. I didn't need to know that.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    That was 1973. Societal values have changed just a bit since then.
    But the dangers of back room abortions haven't changed all that much since then.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    Bollocks. I didn't need to know that.
    Didn't need to know what? That Cashman signed off on the letter? Or, that people who actually know Kavanaugh find him to be a man of high character, high intelligence, excellence and independence?

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    But the dangers of back room abortions haven't changed all that much since then.
    If anything, the folks in the back rooms are out of practice, so they might even be MORE dangerous.

My point about societal values changing is what leads me to believe that, even if Roe Vs. Wade was overturned (which I don't think will happen), I don't think a great quantity of states will suddenly outlaw abortion. Many of you think they will. We have no way of resolving who might be correct. I hope we never do.

- President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

If anything, the folks in the back rooms are out of practice, so they might even be MORE dangerous.

My point about societal values changing is what leads me to believe that, even if Roe Vs. Wade was overturned (which I don't think will happen), I don't think a great quantity of states will suddenly outlaw abortion. Many of you think they will. We have no way of resolving who might be correct. I hope we never do.
    It's not a great many but it'snot zero either; the south and midwest that will likely be effected most. states like mississippi, arkansas, kanas, nebraska, south dakota and several others I'm fairly sure.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Still chaps me that there were no stipulations in the tax reform around requirements for achieving them in the form of investing in people and growth. A CEO would be derelict in duty if they didn't buyback stocks and/or increase dividends with the windfall of cash, when the alternative is to drive up expenses via wage/benefits increases.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    It's not a great many but it'snot zero either; the south and midwest that will likely be effected most. states like mississippi, arkansas, kanas, nebraska, south dakota and several others I'm fairly sure.
    There are already 7 states with only one remaining abortion clinic and efforts are being made to close them. Others only have 2 or 3. Many women already have to travel hundreds of miles for an abortion. 25 states have TARP laws on the books. That's Targeted Regulation of Abortion Providers. Laws specifically designed to target abortion providers that are more onerous than those for other medical providers. Roe does not have to be overturned for SCOTUS to do considerable damage to it but if it is overturned, there is no doubt in my mind that many states will swiftly institute bans.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Still chaps me that there were no stipulations in the tax reform around requirements for achieving them in the form of investing in people and growth. A CEO would be derelict in duty if they didn't buyback stocks and/or increase dividends with the windfall of cash, when the alternative is to drive up expenses via wage/benefits increases.
    Yep. But that was the intent all along.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    OK Dude. Strong argument.
    Clearly.
    "A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people."
    -- Declaration of Independence

My thoughts on abortion,

I’m definitely conservative with most of my views. I’m against abortion, that being said my ex girlfriend had one, and my behavior during that time was,well, regrettable, as I encouraged it and she didn’t really want to do it.

That being said the government shouldn’t be involved with it in my opinion, nor should taxpayer money go towards it
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.bdb883b92524

Pretty solid smackdown of Brett Kavanaugh, Activist Judge.

Again, I agree completely that Garland should have not only had his hearing, but been confirmed. And I agree completely that Republican obstructionism (particularly WRT Garland) was wrong, and did a disservice to the American People.

What I question is the tactic being used to fight Republican obstructionism. Because if Republic obstructionism was bad (and I believe it was), then how can Democratic obstructionism be good?

A Supreme Court nominee should be considered based on his education, experience, and judicial temperament. He should NOT be judged based on the political party of the President who nominated him. McConnell was WRONG in his treatment of Garland. Is that really the precedent we want to establish, going forward?
    Whether we want the precedent to be established or not, it has been established. Four years ago, I would have agreed with you without reservation that Kavanaugh should be confirmed without much trouble. Fighting the nomination tooth and nail is as unfair to Kavanaugh as it was to Garland, but it's not so much Kavanaugh they're going to be fighting, just like McConnell wasn't actually fighting Garland.

I think the McConnell precedent has probably forever, or at least for the foreseeable future, politicized Supreme Court nominations to a degree they were not politicized before. That's not necessarily great (I would have preferred the former system of the sitting President getting to put someone on the Court, which I think was rather well balanced and fair. Some of it was luck, some of it was strategy with Justices stepping down, but it was fair. But given the importance of those seats and the fact that the Republicans stole one, I'm not sure fighting back isn't the right move.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

Oh, and by the way, Maynerd, if you think states (many of them) aren't doing everything in their power to essentially make abortion illegal within their borders without explicitly banning it, you're just not paying attention. I'm also surprised that you're buying the interpret the Constitution as written line.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

Didn't need to know what? That Cashman signed off on the letter? Or, that people who actually know Kavanaugh find him to be a man of high character, high intelligence, excellence and independence?
    Same reason I didn't want to know Paul O'Neill was a Trump supporter.

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    My thoughts on abortion,

I’m definitely conservative with most of my views. I’m against abortion, that being said my ex girlfriend had one, and my behavior during that time was, well, regrettable, as I encouraged it and she didn’t really want to do it.

That being said the government shouldn’t be involved with it in my opinion, nor should taxpayer money go towards it
    You're against abortion but wanted your ex GF to have one? It was your child, I assume.

You realize they don't want to invest in people, right? That the tax cut was solely to boost the coffers of the very rich?

Yep. But that was the intent all along.
    Indeed.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Investing in people costs money. Buying back stocks makes money. It's simple math.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    My thoughts on abortion,

I’m definitely conservative with most of my views. I’m against abortion, that being said my ex girlfriend had one, and my behavior during that time was,well, regrettable, as I encouraged it and she didn’t really want to do it.

Encouraging your girlfriend to have an abortion while being anti-choice. I didn't know we had House GOP members posting here.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Encouraging your girlfriend to have an abortion while being anti-choice. I didn't know we had House GOP members posting here.
    That is pretty rude, Rhodey. He told his story, which he certainly did not have to do, and admits that he regretted his behavior. Why shame him?

Thread Information