+ Reply to Thread
Page 468 of 522 FirstFirst ... 368 418 458 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 478 518 ... LastLast
Results 11,676 to 11,700 of 13039
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Each California voter is providing input for which way a block of 55 EC votes is going. Each Wyoming voter is providing input for which way THREE EC votes are going.

No way the Wyoming voter has more clout than the California voter. California has the power to tip an election. Wyoming does not, and never will.
    It might not be a big difference in POTUS elections, but it does make a difference in the Senate. By 2020 (I think) 70 Senators will represent only 30% of the population.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I honestly don't know if a recount would have been for Bush or Gore but we will never know for sure because of a 5-4 SCOUTS ruling. There is no fiction in that.
    Are you equally concerned about the irregularities in Palm Beach Canvassing Board vs Katherine Harris? Had the Florida Supreme Court not arbitrarily rewritten Florida election law, the SCOTUS wouldn't have needed to weigh in.

The process went forward as scheduled, and the results were certified, as required by law, by the Florida Attorney General. The Florida Supreme Court said "wait a minute," and stayed the Attorney General's certification. They then mandated a recount in four counties that were heavily Democratic. When Bush contested doing a recount in just those four counties, the Florida Supreme Court said "wait a minute" and expanded the recount to everywhere. In Bush vs. Gore, the SCOTUS didn't "award" the election to Bush. It terminated the Florida Supreme Court's unconstitutional rewriting of Florida election law.

If you have issues with SCOTUS regarding the 2000 election, are you giving a pass to the Florida Supreme Court, because their decision might have changed the outcome? At least SCOTUS didn't change the outcome.....all it did was say "enough is enough -- end it."

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    It might not be a big difference in POTUS elections, but it does make a difference in the Senate. By 2020 (I think) 70 Senators will represent only 30% of the population.
    Good luck with organizing that Constitutional Convention. Have you given any thought to what the name of the nation ought to be? Because, with no Electoral College and no US Senate, United STATES of America would no longer be a valid description.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Good luck with organizing that Constitutional Convention. Have you given any thought to what the name of the nation ought to be? Because, with no Electoral College and no US Senate, United STATES of America would no longer be a valid description.
    I donít see a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    I donít see a problem.
    I agree. Maynerd, you have been a huge influence in helping me realize that the whole "state" thing is not a terrible idea, but trashing it entirely would be an improvement in many ways.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Perhaps the emphasis should be on UNITED States of America?

Maynerd, I can't believe you'd find it acceptable for 70% of the Senate to represent only 30% of the people, especially considering things such as confirmations and treaties. It's so obviously wrong that i find it indefensible. As it is, an archaic system rooted in upholding slavery elected Trump. Indefensible.
    "A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people."
    -- Declaration of Independence

I donít see a problem.
    Neither do I.
    "A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people."
    -- Declaration of Independence

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    Perhaps the emphasis should be on UNITED States of America?

Maynerd, I can't believe you'd find it acceptable for 70% of the Senate to represent only 30% of the people, especially considering things such as confirmations and treaties. It's so obviously wrong that i find it indefensible. As it is, an archaic system rooted in upholding slavery elected Trump. Indefensible.
    I can. He might find a problem though if it was the other way around wrt to the inequality. I really don't know.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

I donít see a problem.
    I don't see a problem, either. I'm only pointing out that this is exactly what it will take. Anything short of tearing up the Constitution and starting over is a non-player.

But Article V requires the legislatures of two thirds of the several states to convene a Constitutional Convention. So, you're going to have to convince a significant portion of Wyoming and the Dakotas and Idaho and such to concede their power to New York and California. That's why I wished Rhody luck. You're all going to need it.

- President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

I don't see a problem, either. I'm only pointing out that this is exactly what it will take. Anything short of tearing up the Constitution and starting over is a non-player.

But Article V requires the legislatures of two thirds of the several states to convene a Constitutional Convention. So, you're going to have to convince a significant portion of Wyoming and the Dakotas and Idaho and such to concede their power to New York and California. That's why I wished Rhody luck. You're all going to need it.
    Wait a few posts ago you said they were unimportant, now they have power they won't cede? Which is it?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    Maynerd, I can't believe you'd find it acceptable for 70% of the Senate to represent only 30% of the people
    Isn't that why we have a bicameral legislature? One chamber to be proportionate to the size of the population, and the other to represent the interests of the individual states? Wasn't that all done so that the more populated states don't bully the smaller states?

Eight states represent 50% of the population: California, Texas, New York, Florida, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Georgia. Why don't we just let those states tell the remaining 42 how we'll do business. Jeesh, the Dakotas combined have just a million and a half people. Why do we even let them vote?

- President Barack Obama

Isn't that why we have a bicameral legislature? One chamber to be proportionate to the size of the population, and the other to represent the interests of the individual states? Wasn't that all done so that the more populated states don't bully the smaller states?

Eight states represent 50% of the population: California, Texas, New York, Florida, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Georgia. Why don't we just let those states tell the remaining 42 how we'll do business. Jeesh, the Dakotas combined have just a million and a half people. Why do we even let them vote?
    No, Jenn's right, it was done mostly to increase the relative power of the slave states.

Thatís true if you look at the Dakotas as units that should have some parity with NY and CA. But why?

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Wait a few posts ago you said they were unimportant, now they have power they won't cede? Which is it?
    I never said they were unimportant. I may have said their overall Electoral impact is insignificant when compared with the larger states.

We are not a democracy. Thank goodness. We are a Constitutional Republic, and the very fiber of that Republic is that we're a collection of individual states. The Senate exists to prevent the concentrated centers of population from gaining too much power.

Believe it or not, there are a lot of Americans who don't want California, Texas, New York and Florida to make all the decisions.

- President Barack Obama

Every idea of proportion and every rule of fair representation conspire to condemn a principle, which gives to Rhode Island an equal weight in the scale of power with Massachusetts, or Connecticut, or New York; and to Delaware an equal voice in the national deliberations with Pennsylvania, or Virginia, or North Carolina. Its operation contradicts the fundamental maxim of republican government, which requires that the sense of the majority should prevail. Sophistry may reply, that sovereigns are equal, and that a majority of the votes of the States will be a majority of confederated America. But this kind of logical legerdemain will never counteract the plain suggestions of justice and common-sense. It may happen that this majority of States is a small minority of the people of America; and two thirds of the people of America could not long be persuaded, upon the credit of artificial distinctions and syllogistic subtleties, to submit their interests to the management and disposal of one third.
    Alexander Hamilton gets it.
    The feminist agenda ... encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians. ~Pat Robertson 1992

I never said they were unimportant. I may have said their overall Electoral impact is insignificant when compared with the larger states.

We are not a democracy. Thank goodness. We are a Constitutional Republic, and the very fiber of that Republic is that we're a collection of individual states. The Senate exists to prevent the concentrated centers of population from gaining too much power.

Believe it or not, there are a lot of Americans who don't want California, Texas, New York and Florida to make all the decisions.
    We would still be a republic rather than a democracy if the states were much weaker and the federal government stronger. It's the representative form of gpvernment that makes us a republic, not the states.

Eliminate states* and that problem is solved.

*Or weaken them, or make the idea of them unimportant, like counties.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Thatís true if you look at the Dakotas as units that should have some parity with NY and CA. But why?
    I wouldn't argue against a Constitutional Convention designed to realign state boundaries in a manner that provides some population parity. Split California into five pieces, and combine the Dakotas, Montana, Idaho and Wyoming into a single piece. The fact that we created two separate Dakotas in 1889, and made them both states, doesn't mean those lines can never be redrawn.

What I would staunchly protest against is the elimination of regional power as defined by the Senate. Without state autonomy, we become hostage to the centers of population.

- President Barack Obama

I wouldn't argue against a Constitutional Convention designed to realign state boundaries in a manner that provides some population parity. Split California into five pieces, and combine the Dakotas, Montana, Idaho and Wyoming into a single piece. The fact that we created two separate Dakotas in 1889, and made them both states, doesn't mean those lines can never be redrawn.

What I would staunchly protest against is the elimination of regional power as defined by the Senate. Without state autonomy, we become hostage to the centers of population.
    The most important thing, to me, is for the federal government to be the undisputed seat of power. You donít have to eliminate the Tenth Amendment, but you can expand Interstate Commerce, Necessary and Proper, and other ambiguities to defang the Tenth entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Eliminate states* and that problem is solved.

*Or weaken them, or make the idea of them unimportant, like counties.
    Eliminate states, and that problem is exacerbated.

With no states, no Electoral College and no Senate, do you think a presidential candidate would set foot in what we now call Iowa or Arkansas? That'd be a waste of money. The campaigns would be conducted, in their entirety, in NY, LA, Chicago, Houston and Dallas. Much more bang for the buck.

With no states, we could get rid of the Department of Commerce, because there would be no more interstate commerce to regulate. We could get rid of the Department of Agriculture, because the majority of voters aren't farmers.

We've already weakened the several States. We routinely ignore the Tenth Amendment, and allow power to concentrate in Washington. Were the states more powerful (relative to the Federal Government) in the late 18th Century than they are today? Absolutely. And you want to centralize that power even more? You have that much faith in the people inside the Beltway? I don't. Where do we draw the line?

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3
    It's the representative form of gpvernment that makes us a republic, not the states.
    But it's the states that make us the United States of America, not the Republic-ness.

- President Barack Obama

Reject Fascism

Get rid Of states and one person really does equal one vote. Your vote doesnít mean more because you live in Wyoming than it does in California.
    2018: the year the USA put children in cages

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Get rid Of states and one person really does equal one vote. Your vote doesn’t mean more because you live in Wyoming than it does in California.
    Get rid of states and no one will care about the one votes in smaller states, because you can reach many more of them (and buy more influence) by concentrating on the population centers. At that point, the vote will mean more in California than it does in Wyoming.

I can get millions of votes by voting for a freeway expansion in LA, but I'll only get a couple dozen by voting for 800 miles of Interstate Highway in Wyoming. They have horses there anyway. What do they need highways for?

- President Barack Obama

Eliminate states, and that problem is exacerbated.

With no states, no Electoral College and no Senate, do you think a presidential candidate would set foot in what we now call Iowa or Arkansas? That'd be a waste of money. The campaigns would be conducted, in their entirety, in NY, LA, Chicago, Houston and Dallas. Much more bang for the buck.

With no states, we could get rid of the Department of Commerce, because there would be no more interstate commerce to regulate. We could get rid of the Department of Agriculture, because the majority of voters aren't farmers.

We've already weakened the several States. We routinely ignore the Tenth Amendment, and allow power to concentrate in Washington. Were the states more powerful (relative to the Federal Government) in the late 18th Century than they are today? Absolutely. And you want to centralize that power even more? You have that much faith in the people inside the Beltway? I don't. Where do we draw the line?

But it's the states that make us the United States of America, not the Republic-ness.
    We donít ignore the Tenth Amendment nearly enough. And come on, the late 18th century is not a good comparison point. Of course they were more powerful then. Hence, Civil War.

Heck yes, I want to centralize that power more. You may hate the federal government, but state governments are much worse.

Just like it's the democracy that makes it the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

I think the idea of eliminating states is such an overwhelming non-starter that it's hardly worth discussing, though. I think it would do more good than harm, but it's an especially academic discussion.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

Reject Fascism

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    Just like it's the democracy that makes it the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

I think the idea of eliminating states is such an overwhelming non-starter that it's hardly worth discussing, though. I think it would do more good than harm, but it's an especially academic discussion.
    I agree, will never happen but it is one reason why it is so hard to get anything done in the country
    2018: the year the USA put children in cages

Thread Information