+ Reply to Thread
Page 428 of 478 FirstFirst ... 328 378 418 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 438 ... LastLast
Results 10,676 to 10,700 of 11943

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    It's a prime example of going high when the right rallied around the pedophile from Alabama. The left took the higher ground in aligning with the #metoo movement, and to hell with Franken's work and his chance to respond.

If the left is going to play by those rules, then making the viewer think the word made more sense than just blurting it out and giving the right fodder the way it played out.

There's just this inconsistency to the left that drives me crazy - and I'm seeing an example of it here.
    Arguments from consistency are extremely weak. As the great Barry Manilow said, a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.

Edit: FWIW, I recognized that getting rid of Franken was a political necessity.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Bernard View Post
    One of the frustrating aspects to all of this is that the right isnít even necessarily good at this stuff anymore. Thereís no subtle arguments or nuance. Itís just straight up gaslighting. For example: one or the usual Trumpkin pundits on CNN stated that Beeís comment is worse than Barrís. Basically if this crowd were around during the Civil War theyíd be insisting that white people are the ones in chains. Which, come to think about it, is the equivalent to taking a racist comment and insisting the real problem is that conservatives are oppressed.
    Well, there are those who insist that the real problem today is that straight white Christian men are subject to discrimination.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Arguments from consistency are extremely weak. As the great Barry Manilow said, a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.

The little mind is the flipping voter in flyover country!
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    The little mind is the flipping voter in flyover country!
    Also little statesmen, philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Well, there are those who insist that the real problem today is that straight white Christian men are subject to discrimination.
    I think electing one president would probably be a good first step in righting the white male slave ship.

Next, we should probably put more emphasis on white Christian male history in schools. I donít think their story is widely known.

NYYF Legend

I have a question.

It is established that black comedians have a free-pass license to use the n-word, at least on late-night cable which is Bee's venue. We see such stand-up all the time on Comedy Central.

Why has no one argued that, as a woman, Bee has a similar right to use the c-word in the same type venue? If I were a woman, I would assert that, but I'm not, so I don't have standing to say that.

Personally, I would call Bee's comment edgy, but nowhere in the vicinity of black-simian association. Not a fireable offense.

I gave up watching her show a long-time ago. I love a good, funny Trump-bashing, but she stopped being funny early on. She's just comes off as nasty, even if her attitudes are mostly correct.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Nice is different than good. Texsahara's Avatar

Itís International Whoresí Day. Letís talk about why strippers need better labor laws.

Itís hard for workers whose experiences and working conditions vary not just between cities but between clubs in the same city and shifts in the same club to organize. And like a lot of service work done primarily by women, including child care or domestic work, stripping isnít seen as career work worthy of full benefits; rather, itís stereotyped as a temporary service job done by women who have ďrealĒ 9-to-5 jobs, or who are ďreallyĒ full-time parents or students. Either that or itís painted as a gateway to sex trafficking by evangelical groups or law enforcement.
    If a dancer brings a sexual harassment or workers comp suit against a club, she has to first prove that she is an employee in court or through a state labor board to even have the standing to make the complaint. Independent contractors donít have legal protections from discrimination or harassment, nor do they have access to workers comp.
    Instead of pursuing the enforcement of employee status, often undesirable for sex workers for a host of reasons, workers would benefit if independent contractors were granted a greater number of enforceable rights. Extending legal protections against discrimination would be the least that could be done for the marginally employed. Shifting some of the self-employment tax burden back from workers to businesses is the next step.
    👍

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    I have a question.

It is established that black comedians have a free-pass license to use the n-word, at least on late-night cable which is Bee's venue. We see such stand-up all the time on Comedy Central.

Why has no one argued that, as a woman, Bee has a similar right to use the c-word in the same type venue? If I were a woman, I would assert that, but I'm not, so I don't have standing to say that.

Personally, I would call Bee's comment edgy, but nowhere in the vicinity of black-simian association. Not a fireable offense.

I gave up watching her show a long-time ago. I love a good, funny Trump-bashing, but she stopped being funny early on. She's just comes off as nasty, even if her attitudes are mostly correct.
    Plenty of women argue that. And groups of women have been trying to reclaim c**t for decades. It's never caught on. I take it you've never seen The Vagina Monologues?

NYYF Legend

I think I love you again. I'm sorry I was so mad at you that I took that great Ralph Waldo Emerson quote out of my signature line.

"She sits there so refined, and drinks herself half blind."

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    I have a question.

I use the word when I think it fits. More so than most men I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    I'm sorry I was so mad at you that I took that great Ralph Waldo Emerson quote out of my signature line.
    Don't know what you're talking about. I think you made that all up.
    - Barry Manilow

As Chris Rock says, "As a father, you have only one job to do: Keep your daughter off the damn pole!"

I use the word when I think it fits. More so than most men I know.
    I can think of one person I've described that way in the last 10 or 15 years, a doctor I used to work with. My other female co-workers all agreed with me.
    - Barry Manilow

Calling another man a c word is a very British thing to do.

Can't say I've never done it.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Calling another man a c word is a very British thing to do.

Can't say I've never done it.
    Scotland: https://janeygodley.com/wp-content/u...unt800x546.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post

That's funny.

I've never (and wouldn't ever) call a woman one, but from time to time I get a kick out of calling another man one, especially if it's deserved and the situation calls for it. Mostly in fun.

That's funny.

I've never (and wouldn't ever) call a woman one, but from time to time I get a kick out of calling another man one, especially if it's deserved and the situation calls for it. Mostly in fun.
    So youíre saying you use different standards for words and specific language depending on the context?

NYYF Legend

That's funny.

I think the doctor that he called a c u next tuesday is a woman.

So youíre saying you use different standards for words and specific language depending on the context?

May I suggest you lighten up?

I may have missed something. I was talking about me.

Edit: Okay I see now. I wasn't referring to John's post, just the word in general.

NYYF Legend

I may have missed something. I was talking about me.
    Nope, I just misunderstood you.

Yes, a woman. Last Tuesday, next Tuesday, and every other Tuesday.

Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Yet not a single one was able to simply say she should be fired without adding a "but". But Joy Reid. But Joy Behar. But the music industry. But Al Sharpton. But Keith Olbermann.
    I don't read it as a "but", which implies acceptance of her comments. I read it as an "and"; frankly I don't understand the problem.

Kind of like "I think Roseanne should be fired and I think that Trump's response to the issue has been disgusting."

My guess is you don't have a problem with me talking about two things together in that context.

So, now we learn that Joy Reid is not only a homophobe and bigot, but an anti-Semite, 9-11 conspiracist, a moronic photoshopper and who knows what the hell else. A disturbed woman, indeed. But, that was a decade or so ago and she has since evolved!!!1

She went from being a disgusting, lying, hateful, bigoted woman, one who spewed hatred toward a variety of people, topics and races; one who derived pleasure by mocking and despising the gay community, and miraculously transformed herself into a sensitive, caring, tolerant, strong black woman who should be admired. Come to Jesus!

Thanks to all her supporters for sticking by this trustworthy and honorable woman! Thank you MSNBC for keeping her employed!

(Because I'm a gentleman, I'll refrain from calling her the c word, as tempting as it might be)

Thread Information