+ Reply to Thread
Page 427 of 530 FirstFirst ... 327 377 417 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 437 477 527 ... LastLast
Results 10,651 to 10,675 of 13245

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    Bee maybe crossed the line a bit, but if so, I don't think she crossed it by much. If Ivanka was not an active part of the administration it would be worse. Criticism of public officials, even profane criticism if the speaker believes the situation warrants it, can be an important part of public discourse. If she had said feckless idiot or feckless moron or feckless dumbass I don't think I would have any issue at all. I think the only issue is the harshness of the chosen insult, and I don't think using that word instead of idiot is severe enough to warrant punishment of any significance.
    Yes, it crossed the line and TBS has culpability in airing those comments intact to the general public. Again, IMO, Bee should be punished for using that vulgarity. I get your point about Ivanka being a public servant in her father's administration. It's an excellent point. However, feckless idiot, feckless moron and even feckless dumbass would have been better terms to use than that vulgarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Yes, it crossed the line and TBS has culpability in airing those comments intact to the general public. Again, IMO, Bee should be punished for using that vulgarity. I get your point about Ivanka being a public servant in her father's administration. It's an excellent point. However, feckless idiot, feckless moron and even feckless dumbass would have been better terms to use than that vulgarity.
    I think it was the perfect word for the point she was making. Unfortunately the point is being overshadowed by all the faux outrage.
    The feminist agenda ... encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians. ~Pat Robertson 1992

However, feckless idiot, feckless moron and even feckless dumbass would have been better terms to use than that vulgarity.
    But not funny. Her job is to be funny, not to be polite.

Donald J. Trump Verified account @realDonaldTrump

Why aren’t they firing no talent Samantha Bee for the horrible language used on her low ratings show? A total double standard but that’s O.K., we are Winning, and will be doing so for a long time to come!
    Still no condemning of Roseanne's words but calling for a private citizen to be fired.

(And Trump calling someone else out for using horrible language = )
    The feminist agenda ... encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians. ~Pat Robertson 1992

Reject Fascism

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Still no condemning of Roseanne's words but calling for a private citizen to be fired.

Since he is crying double standard, I would like an explanation from him as to why he invited Nugent to the WH AFTER he called Hillary the same term
    2018: the year the USA put children in cages

I think it was the perfect word for the point she was making. Unfortunately the point is being overshadowed by all the faux outrage.
    Well, we disagree as I hate that vulgar term.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    But not funny. Her job is to be funny, not to be polite.
    Not as funny!

Yeah, he needs to keep his big mouth shut after some of the things he said about other people.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Since he is crying double standard, I would like an explanation from him as to why he invited Nugent to the WH AFTER he called Hillary the same term
    Because the same rules don't apply to him. In his arrogance and lack of humanity, he thinks he's above the law and rules that apply to the rest of us.

Not as funny!
    Not funny enough to be worth her time. She might just as well have said, "Ivana is stoopit." Feckless idiot is beneath her. Feckless c*** is brilliant.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Not funny enough to be worth her time. She might just as well have said, "Ivana is stoopit." Feckless idiot is beneath her. Feckless c*** is brilliant.
    After thinking about it some, the brilliant way to say c*** is to not say it at all, but rather have the viewer say it themselves.

Like what the show Frasier did:

Frasier/Niles: [singing] ump-ta-da-da-da ump-ta-da-da-da...
    Some boys run off to college,
    but we think they're all wussies,
    cause they get all the knowledge,
    and we get all the ..
    umpta-da-da-da umpta-da-da-da...
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    After thinking about it some, the brilliant way to say c*** is to not say it at all, but rather have the viewer say it themselves.

Like what the show Frasier did:

Frasier/Niles: [singing] ump-ta-da-da-da ump-ta-da-da-da...
    Some boys run off to college,
    but we think they're all wussies,
    cause they get all the knowledge,
    and we get all the ..
    umpta-da-da-da umpta-da-da-da...
    Sorry, but that was a pleasant throwaway line, just enough to make your grandmother giggle scandalously. As I learned at the age of 10 ornso: "If I were a bird/ I’d like to be a duck/ I’d swim along the water's edge/ and watch the people swim."

Here, the shock was important to the line. She didn’t just want to say that Ivana is stoopit. She was commenting in the specific context of a shocking policy of the administration she’s a part of, and the complete obliviousness she showed in her picture. It needed to be not just derogatory but shocking.

Sorry, but that was a pleasant throwaway line, just enough to make your grandmother giggle scandalously. As I learned at the age of 10 ornso: "If I were a bird/ I’d like to be a duck/ I’d swim along the water's edge/ and watch the people swim."

Here, the shock was important to the line. She didn’t just want to say that Ivana is stoopit. She was commenting in the specific context of a shocking policy of the administration she’s a part of, and the complete obliviousness she showed in her picture. It needed to be not just derogatory but shocking.
    I don't agree with your opinion and now she's in the middle of a crapstorm.

I don't agree with your opinion and now she's in the middle of a ................ storm.
    No, she’s not. She’s fine. The network won’t fire her after they approved the line. Her ratings will probably go up.

No, she’s not. She’s fine. The network won’t fire her after they approved the line. Her ratings will probably go up.
    Yeah, we'll see.....

A research psychologist. Feh. Takes a clinician to know what’s funny.

And you don't think the viewer saying that word to themselves would've provided the shock? I mean, if the left is going to hold on to the adage of "when they go low, we go higher", then do so wisely.

e: I don't have a problem with the use of the term. At all.

And you don't think the viewer saying that word to themselves would've provided the shock? I mean, if the left is going to hold on to the adage of "when they go low, we go higher", then do so wisely.

No, I don't. It would have provided enough shock for a 10-year-old or your grandmother.

"When they go low, we go higher" is not my adage when it comes to comedy, nor am I "the left." I'll stick with "Dying is easy, comedy is hard."
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Not even close. It's saying the word has impact and it's what will get the laugh. The show airs at 11pm. It's not for children. And dems need to let go of that 'go higher' stuff. It sounds great but it's only getting you moral victories.

No, I don't. It would have provided enough shock for a 10-year-old or your grandmother.

"When they go low, we go higher" is not my adage when it comes to comedy, nor am I "the left." I'll stick with "Dying is easy, comedy is hard."
    Not even close. It's saying the word has impact and it's what will get the laugh. The show airs at 11pm. It's not for children. And dems need to let go of that 'go higher' stuff. It sounds great but it's only getting you moral victories.
    And both of you were up in arms about the Democrats shoving Franken out of the Senate, right?

And both of you were up in arms about the Democrats shoving Franken out of the Senate, right?
    What does one have to do with the other?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Not following you.

What does one have to do with the other?
    It's a prime example of going high when the right rallied around the pedophile from Alabama. The left took the higher ground in aligning with the #metoo movement, and to hell with Franken's work and his chance to respond.

If the left is going to play by those rules, then making the viewer think the word made more sense than just blurting it out and giving the right fodder the way it played out.

There's just this inconsistency to the left that drives me crazy - and I'm seeing an example of it here.

One of the frustrating aspects to all of this is that the right isn’t even necessarily good at this stuff anymore. There’s no subtle arguments or nuance. It’s just straight up gaslighting. For example: one or the usual Trumpkin pundits on CNN stated that Bee’s comment is worse than Barr’s. Basically if this crowd were around during the Civil War they’d be insisting that white people are the ones in chains. Which, come to think about it, is the equivalent to taking a racist comment and insisting the real problem is that conservatives are oppressed.

Thread Information