+ Reply to Thread
Page 378 of 641 FirstFirst ... 278 328 368 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 388 428 478 ... LastLast
Results 9,426 to 9,450 of 16025

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    But a panel of judges said that calculating a woman’s pay based on her salary history is a form of gender discrimination — a violation of the Equal Pay Act of 1963, which prohibits businesses from paying women less than men for the same work.
    How did they get her salary history? Most employers will only acknowledge that a specific person worked there, but won't share salary information. If she willingly shared what her previous salary was, I don't know why that can't be considered, particularly if it's considered when making salary determinations for men.

Isn't that discrimination in the truest sense of the word? 'Here's what we use to determine a salary for our incoming employees. Unless they're female, in which case we have an entirely different system.'

It would seem to me that using salary history should either be an acceptable practice, or a prohibited practice, regardless of gender.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    How did they get her salary history? Most employers will only acknowledge that a specific person worked there, but won't share salary information. If she willingly shared what her previous salary was, I don't know why that can't be considered, particularly if it's considered when making salary determinations for men.

Isn't that discrimination in the truest sense of the word? 'Here's what we use to determine a salary for our incoming employees. Unless they're female, in which case we have an entirely different system.'

It would seem to me that using salary history should either be an acceptable practice, or a prohibited practice, regardless of gender.
    The entire point of the Equal Pay Act is to eliminate pay disparities, not preserve them. Since women have been paid less than men historically, that would only serve to perpetuate the gap. Why should employers be allowed to capitalize on it? A woman's salary that is unfairly low to begin with could follow her through her entire career.

A pay structure based exclusively on prior wages is so inherently fraught with the risk — indeed, here, the virtual certainty — that it will perpetuate a discriminatory wage disparity between men and women that it cannot stand.
    I imagine they got her salary history by asking her for it. CA, MA, DE and OR all now have laws prohibiting asking salary history and more states are going to follow suit so even if the ruling is overturned by SCOTUS it hopefully won't matter for long.
    “Stay angry, little Meg,” Mrs Whatsit whispered. “You will need all your anger now.”

Texsahara is absolutely right. Women's salaries have traditionally been superficially held down due to sexism, so naturally companies want to continue that trend to save money. I don't understand advocating the continuation of a system designed to encourage that.

I can't believe this still needs to be litigated.
    I am not free while any woman is unfree, even when her shackles are very different from my own.

--Audre Lorde

Awful lot of senators pretending to give a sht about privacy and monopolies when talking to Zuckerberg.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Awful lot of senators pretending to give a sht about privacy and monopolies when talking to Zuckerberg.
    They don't have a manufacturable product, and possess the power monetize information that never leaves a factory.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    They don't have a manufacturable product, and possess the power monetize information that never leaves a factory.
    “How do you sustain a business model in which users don’t pay for your service?” Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT) asked Zuckerberg early on in the hearing.

“Senator, we run ads,” Zuckerberg replied.
    “Stay angry, little Meg,” Mrs Whatsit whispered. “You will need all your anger now.”

You know who would be better prepared to ask the kinds of questions of Zuckerberg that anybody else currently seated in the Senate?

Al Franken.

Hope is eternal

Axios reporting Paul Ryan has decided not to run for re-election.
    Trading insults is a waste of time. Persuade why someone should see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    With the tax bill, he’s finally accomplished what he came to Congress to do. Now those same high rollers for whom he achieved the tax cuts will pay him handsomely in the private sector as a lobbyist or some other cushy job.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    With the tax bill, he’s finally accomplished what he came to Congress to do. Now those same high rollers for whom he achieved the tax cuts will pay him handsomely in the private sector as a lobbyist or some other cushy job.
    Cowardly man exits cowardly.

The epitome of the “Screw you, I got mine" Republican mentality.

#IronStache

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Paul Ryan will go down in history as one of the worst, most ineffective speakers ever. He'll be remembered by history as the Speaker who never stood up to Trump and watched as our democratic institutions got slowly eroded so he could pass massive tax cuts for the 1%.

There's a small part of me who hopes that like Flake and Corker and McCain and Gowdey, now that he doesn't have to run again he may actually do something to protect the country but I won't hold my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    #bye

I am not free while any woman is unfree, even when her shackles are very different from my own.

--Audre Lorde

I was laughing about this, but of course you're correct.

--Audre Lorde

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Paul Ryan will go down in history as one of the worst, most ineffective speakers ever. He'll be remembered by history as the Speaker who never stood up to Trump and watched as our democratic institutions got slowly eroded so he could pass massive tax cuts for the 1%.

There's a small part of me who hopes that like Flake and Corker and McCain and Gowdey, now that he doesn't have to run again he may actually do something to protect the country but I won't hold my breath.
    I’d get released outright if I were to describe the sentiment many feel about Paul Ryan, the man.

NYYF Legend

I don't agree with Paul Ryan's policies either, but to me he seems like a guy who thinks he's rational confronted with a world where irrationality is now king (which he himself helped create). This isn't the world he wanted to live in and to be president of.

Agreed that if he has any spine, he'll use his time now to stand up for what he actually thinks (I think it's clear he hates Trump) without fear of being voted out.

Derek Thompson‏Verified account @DKThomp
    Paul Ryan rose to prominence by weaponizing Obama-era deficits and winning plaudits from centrists for his austere math. He leaves office mere days after a CBO report finds GOP govt has, in a matter of months, increased deficits in the 2018-22 period by more than $1.2 trillion.
    8:13 AM - 11 Apr 2018
    Mmmhmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    I don't agree with Paul Ryan's policies either, but to me he seems like a guy who thinks he's rational confronted with a world where irrationality is now king (which he himself helped create). This isn't the world he wanted to live in and to be president of.

Agreed that if he has any spine, he'll use his time now to stand up for what he actually thinks (I think it's clear he hates Trump) without fear of being voted out.
    Personally, I like Ryan. Politically, I'm disappointed that he couldn't do more.

As I see it, he had a large faction of the GOP in Congress who would get in the way any time he even considered compromising with the Democrats. The hard-core partisans wouldn't let the Speaker lead, but would instead default to whether a bill was sponsored by a Republican or a Democrat. Rampant partisanship renders leadership ineffective.

Add to that a President who is, at best, unpredictable, and is unwilling to act as a statesman, and I suspect Ryan had had his fill.

Look through a list of previous Speakers who were found to be highly effective: Clay, Rayburn, Cannon, Polk, Foley, O'Neill.....each of these gentlemen had the ability to work across the aisle, and to work with the White House, regardless of the party of the President. Ryan could not. I don't think that's an indictment of Ryan's leadership; I suspect it's the result of a toxic political environment and an overly impulsive POTUS.

I see Ryan as the adult in the room. And, he seems to be no longer willing to deal with the childishness around him. Can't say I blame him.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Mmmhmm.
    But . . . But . . . But . . . You’re ignoring the Trump administration’s economic growth projections. 3-5% growth over the next 10 years. I know it’s true. Heard it straight from Larry Kudlow. He had a TV career, so he must know a lot.

NYYF Legend

Personally, I like Ryan. Politically, I'm disappointed that he couldn't do more.

Look through a list of previous Speakers who were found to be highly effective: Clay, Rayburn, Cannon, Polk, Foley, O'Neill.....each of these gentlemen had the ability to work across the aisle, and to work with the White House, regardless of the party of the President. Ryan could not. I don't think that's an indictment of Ryan's leadership; I suspect it's the result of a toxic political environment and an overly impulsive POTUS.

I see Ryan as the adult in the room. And, he seems to be no longer willing to deal with the childishness around him. Can't say I blame him.
    He had a chance to fully withdraw support for Trump, and instead chose to just stop actively campaigning for him. He played a part in creating the situation which he currently finds unworkable, probably because he wanted his tax bill enough to sell out everything else for it.

And as others have mentioned, the end result is that Ryan the deficit austerity man has added to the deficit, and is leaving others to deal with an unstable president.

I also think he actually doesn’t like bending over for Trump. He doesn't have the, uh, spine to stand up to him, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post

I think you give him too much credit for integrity.

Conservatives are already criticizing Ryan's decision not to run for re-election which will cost them another house seat in Congress. Sounds like without Ryan running they've already given up on winning his district.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Thread Information