+ Reply to Thread
Page 1015 of 1015 FirstFirst ... 15 515 915 965 1005 1012 1013 1014 1015
Results 25,351 to 25,356 of 25356
    NYYF Legend

Re: President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    You were a fire man? That department probably saved a lot of dough by not needing ladders.

Thanks! I needed a good laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Fan View Post

Thanks! I needed a good laugh!
    From Urban Dictionary:

putriot

A person who claims to be a true American, but has really pledged allegiance to Putin through unwavering support of Trump.

Trumpite: "I'm a REAL American! I'm a Patriot! I stand for God, Country, and White Power, unlike the rest of you buttercup snowflakes!!!"

Human: "Dude, STFU, you Putriot!"

I also agree with Governor Jerry Brown who said a Trumpite is a cave or dark place dweller. :-D

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    I was simply appalled 1) that he would use the phrase "totally destroy North Korea" at all and 2) that he would use it in an address to the UN General Assembly. It was bad style, and bad politics. I'll criticize people on this board for defining up* some halfway stupid things he has said into scandals that aren't really there, but there is no defense for this bonehead move. If this thing was vetted, I can't believe his team let him do it. What has the image of this country outside the US sunk to? And do any of those bozos in the White House care? And "Rocket-Man"? Should be a bannable offense at the UN.

I have a 1970s vintage Poli. Sci. degree, and we spent a lot of time analyzing nuclear brinkmanship and diplomatic and other strategies for dealing with it. This one would have gained a quick red "F".

*neologism invented here in this post
    Strongly, strongly agree.

I'm not a Trump supporter. I don't like the man, and didn't vote for him. But I'm one of the biggest objectors to the absurd outcries over trivial things. I have issues with taking Trump to task for things that were done by previous administrations, that are suddenly scandalous because...Trump.

But the speech at the United Nations was hardly trivial. And any outcry is hardly absurd.

"The United States has great strength and patience, but if it is forced to defend itself or its allies, we will have no choice but to totally destroy North Korea."

Presidents for years have said something along the lines of "we will defend our allies." It makes the point clearly, without overtly stating that the defense would include the destruction of an entire nation.

Presidents for years have threatened military targets. 'We will eliminate their ability to...' without even hinting at the total destruction of another nation. The concept is there, but unstated. It's called 'diplomacy.'

It's okay to state what events will be the trigger for military action....what line cannot be crossed. It's NOT okay to leave the trigger as vague as "forced to defend itself" and the resultant action as specific as "totally destroy."

This is NOT statesmanship.

As for this....."Rocket Man is on a suicide mission..." That's simply infantile. Totally inappropriate for the POTUS to refer to a head of state in this manner, even in a Tweet. To do so at the podium of the UN General Assembly is embarrassing.

Like you, I'm appalled. In fact, that word may be insufficient. 'Horrified' might be a better choice than 'appalled.'

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Strongly, strongly agree.

I'm not a Trump supporter. I don't like the man, and didn't vote for him. But I'm one of the biggest objectors to the absurd outcries over trivial things. I have issues with taking Trump to task for things that were done by previous administrations, that are suddenly scandalous because...Trump.

But the speech at the United Nations was hardly trivial. And any outcry is hardly absurd.

"The United States has great strength and patience, but if it is forced to defend itself or its allies, we will have no choice but to totally destroy North Korea."

Presidents for years have said something along the lines of "we will defend our allies." It makes the point clearly, without overtly stating that the defense would include the destruction of an entire nation.

Presidents for years have threatened military targets. 'We will eliminate their ability to...' without even hinting at the total destruction of another nation. The concept is there, but unstated. It's called 'diplomacy.'

It's okay to state what events will be the trigger for military action....what line cannot be crossed. It's NOT okay to leave the trigger as vague as "forced to defend itself" and the resultant action as specific as "totally destroy."

This is NOT statesmanship.

As for this....."Rocket Man is on a suicide mission..." That's simply infantile. Totally inappropriate for the POTUS to refer to a head of state in this manner, even in a Tweet. To do so at the podium of the UN General Assembly is embarrassing.

Like you, I'm appalled. In fact, that word may be insufficient. 'Horrified' might be a better choice than 'appalled.'
    So in other words, you're saying that his behavior is not what would be considered normal for a sitting president and should not be treated as such? It should not be normalized?

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    So in other words, you're saying that his behavior is not what would be considered normal for a sitting president and should not be treated as such? It should not be normalized?
    That doesn't matter. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

The question is, if you feel that way, what do you propose be done about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    That doesn't matter. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

The question is, if you feel that way, what do you propose be done about it?
    Same thing I've been saying for pages. Speak out against it. Draw attention to it. Call your congressman. Protest. Whatever method works for you. What you don't do is sit back and say just Trump being Trump, he's just joking, no big deal, it's just a tweet. And you're wrong. It matters greatly.

Thread Information