+ Reply to Thread
Page 253 of 572 FirstFirst ... 153 203 243 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 263 303 353 ... LastLast
Results 6,301 to 6,325 of 14291
    NYYF Cy Young

Re: President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Just a proposal but still something to keep an eye on.

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...ation-roundups
    For-profit prisons are being built as a response to Trump’s executive order last January, which authorizes an expansion of detention centers for immigrants across the US.

Yes, There Is a Trump Infrastructure Project Already Under Way: Building For-Profit Prisons for Immigrants (NY Magazine, February 16, 2017). http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...mmigrants.html

The profit angle to all the legislation and de-regulation happening behind Trump's antics -- follow the money so to speak -- is what makes me wonder about the efficacy of imagining Republicans' motivations as keeping their seats. Not offering an opinion, BUT the way "classic Third World corruption" works, a regime of unregulated corporate bribery and legislation-for-sale, like this one, frees the legislators and executive from thinking in terms of future elections. You can auction off a National Park to a sludge factory, or get a cut on defense contracts, and at one stroke make the sum that would take four or five election cycles of slightly-veiled grifting. Then you retire to New Zealand or the Moon or just your private estate in Connecticut or whatever. The Future does not exist for such men beyond this calculation, trust us... I do recognize in some of the faces in the news that special look of men who're privately chuckling at threats of not voting for them in 2018 or later. There is no ideology there, only comparing a smaller period of time (just a few months!) to a longer one, to make an obscene, an offensive amount of money.

Also kicking all non-White and/or Democrats out of the meeting to discuss ICE round-ups is being read as a grave sign that mass deportations have begun.

https://gutierrez.house.gov/media-ce...eaker-ryan-and

Quote Originally Posted by Rep. Luis V. Gutiérrez (D-IL)
    In 20-plus years, I have never heard of the Republicans controlling what meetings Democrats can have with officials of the Executive Branch and never had a staffer ask me to leave a meeting to which I am entitled to attend. My constituents have questions about who is being targeted by ICE, which DREAMers with DACA they are targeting for deportation, which victims of domestic violence ICE is deporting, which immigrants at church shelters are being targeted. We know the statements by Trump about targeting criminals is a lie, but we were hoping someone could give us the truth or any information at all.

The new mass deportation executive orders are unprecedented, but so are the lengths to which the Speaker and Chairman Goodlatte are going to control the information being disseminated to Members of Congress. I expect such dictatorial shenanigans from the Trump Administration, but not from competent, compassionate legislators like Speaker Ryan or from legislators like Bob Goodlatte. Do they have ear pieces feeding them orders from President Bannon or the others making decisions in the White House?

Speaker Ryan is not an emperor and does not control who I meet with. My colleagues and I asked for this meeting and we still have not been given details by ICE about who they are deporting, why, and how. We simply have hit a stone wall and now Republicans in the House are cooperating in limiting the information that we can provide to our constituents.
    It does not need to be said, I'm half saying it to myself because it is so sad and horrifying, but there is no moving people, forcibly, on this scale, without inhuman suffering and certain loss of life.

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    a two state solution means both palestine and israel exist as sovereign nations. currently, palestine does not have that full, complete, identity. it is the only way the ever ends without war according to most experts.

the pros of a one state solution are: well, none really. it maintains the status-quo and i think everyone can agree, that ain't working.
    Actually there are pros if it came with guarantees that Israel would function as an actual democracy instead of as an apartheid society.

The first pro is that it would tip the voting population in such a way that Israel would no longer be able to operate as an oppressor state, but would become a true multi-ethnic society with everyone represented and. Everyone having a voice in national policy.

The second pro is that if Israel did become a truly working democracy in which Palestinians were represented and their needs ere addressed fairly, much if the tension in the Middle .east would be greatly reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Just the ones with a brain that's working.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    No need for that Bill. Delete your post, and I'll do the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    It's fine. I'm used to being called names by Trump haters. It's white noise now. But thank you all the same.
    I agree no need for that. I may disagree with Steve on Trump but I don't think he is "dumb" for having a different opinion.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

It's fine. I'm used to being called names by Trump haters. It's white noise now. But thank you all the same.
    I really hope that I never disrespected your views, H23. You're one of the good guys in this thread. Hopefully I showed my respect.
    I really do hope that whatever 45's work for small businesses make it all good for you and your future endeavors.
    Loving some nothing burgers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    In all seriousness, Steve.... The Pope yesterday made a plea for the patience of dialogue and deriding how insulting others have become the new normal. He has a point.

If I've insulted you I apologize. I respect that you have a different take on politics and look forward to your contributions. (not so much your take on movies, though. I do have my limits. )
    You've never insulted me, Tom. Don't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    You're also used to having your sanity questioned in lots of other threads.
    This is very true. Life is way more fun when your perspective is odd.

Pretty sure Georgia supposed to hit majority-minority status in 10 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    I agree no need for that. I may disagree with Steve on Trump but I don't think he is "dumb" for having a different opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRenninger View Post
    I really hope that I never disrespected your views, H23. You're one of the good guys in this thread. Hopefully I showed my respect.
    I really do hope that whatever 45's work for small businesses make it all good for you and your future endeavors.
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteYankee View Post
    That's not really necessary or helpful. I vehemently disagree with most of what Steve posts but he's been respectful and I appreciate hearing insight from an opposing viewpoint.
    Thanks everyone. None of you have ever been disrespectful that I can recall. I appreciate that. I just meant in general, not at anyone specific here. Maybe I shouldn't have painted such a broad stroke there. In real life though it's rough. I'm not as close to some people anymore because of how angry they have gotten. One person completely severed a friendship because of the divide. It's unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I think he only likes Fox and Friends and Hannity on FOX. He puts up with O'Reilly because he has a friendship with him.
    I'm actually an O'Reily fan. Been watching him since 2001. And he's a great author. His Killing series is really good. At least the ones I've read. Been meaning to read Killing The Rising Sun

The others I don't take seriously.

In real life people are scared that their rights are going to be taken away. That they'll lose their healthcare. That they'll be deported from the only country they've ever known. Sorry people were mean to you though.

I'm going to apologize for the size. I can't re-size things on this thread. It blows up to original no matter what. However, these mini-Trump photos are very good. Please no one quote this post.

In real life people are scared ....That they'll be deported from the only country they've ever known. Sorry people were mean to you though.
    It's nobody's fault that they are needlessly worrying, for that's not the intent and it's been repeated numerous times.

As for those like Garcia de Rayos, she came her illegally (crime #1), then committed an identity theft crime (crime #2). My sister was a victim of identity theft and it took years, lawyers and lots of money to get her credit and tons of other related problems straightened out. She still runs into unresolved issues now and then. I have no sympathy whatsoever for someone like Ms. de Rayos.

With regards to Steve, and what seems like your sarcastically dismissing how people have treated him (unless I'm totally misreading you), if any "friend" here or in his real life caused any discomfort with their continual vile and demeaning behavior, I can't say I blame him one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
    I do believe that the Russian story is where this Presidency ends. Even for the Republicans, more and more will continue to come out, and I have a suspicion that Congress will be forced to act at some point. I don't think Trump makes it to 2018, much less 2021.
    Earlier today Russian state media ran a negative editorial about Trump, criticizing him for contradictory remarks that are incompatible with each other. Reports are that the Kremlin has directed that its media outlets to do a 180 from its favorable Trump coverage up until now. It looks like the honeymoon is over.

For anyone who thought Hillary's attempts at the "Russia Reset" were a failure, maybe it's time to consider that it's Russia that's the problem and not the person reaching out to them. Even Hillary's outreach wasn't over this quickly. The Donald's inexperience and naïveté is showing in his boastful promises to have a great relationship with Russia.

In real life people are scared that their rights are going to be taken away. That they'll lose their healthcare. That they'll be deported from the only country they've ever known. Sorry people were mean to you though.
    Well, he's still going to make America great again. And Hitman needs cheaper health insurance and lower small business taxes so there's that.
    So affordable health care is crucially important for some, but not others.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    So wanting affordable health care is crucially important for some, but kinda selfish for others.
    I was serious.

NYYF Legend

Earlier today Russian state media ran a negative editorial about Trump, criticizing him for contradictory remarks that are incompatible with each other. Reports are that the Kremlin has directed that its media outlets to do a 180 from its favorable Trump coverage up until now. It looks like the honeymoon is over.

For anyone who thought Hillary's attempts at the "Russia Reset" were a failure, maybe it's time to consider that it's Russia that's the problem and not the person reaching out to them. Even Hillary's outreach wasn't over this quickly. The Donald's inexperience and naïveté is showing in his boastful promises to have a great relationship with Russia.
    This has been an exercise by Russia to destabilize western democracy. The fact we in-fight with one another is just icing on the cake for somebody like Putin.
    If money is a science, then it is a dark science...it has gone on developing...by its own rules. Neal Stephenson, Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    It's nobody's fault that they are needlessly worrying, for that's not the intent and it's been repeated numerous times.

As for those like Garcia de Rayos, she came her illegally (crime #1)
    As a point of fact, she was brought here as a minor by her parents. They were the ones who committed the "crime".

I understand that. But to sever a friendship over politics? I'm very disappointed that the friendship was that weak. I had higher expectations of this person.

As a point of fact, she was brought here as a minor by her parents. They were the ones who committed the "crime".
    You may be right, though, from what I've read, she was arrested in 2008 for the identity theft crime, well into adulthood. Do we know when this crime was committed?

Either way, a crime is a crime is a crime. And, I'm especially sensitive that it was an identity theft crime, knowing what my sister went and is still going through nearly 10 years later. So eff de Rayos.

Actually there are pros if it came with guarantees that Israel would function as an actual democracy instead of as an apartheid society.

The first pro is that it would tip the voting population in such a way that Israel would no longer be able to operate as an oppressor state, but would become a true multi-ethnic society with everyone represented and. Everyone having a voice in national policy.

The second pro is that if Israel did become a truly working democracy in which Palestinians were represented and their needs ere addressed fairly, much if the tension in the Middle .east would be greatly reduced.

If Israel annexed the West Bank, it would probably be impossible for them to remain both a democratic state and a Jewish state.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

I understand that. But to sever a friendship over politics? I'm very disappointed that the friendship was that weak. I had higher expectations of this person.
    I get that and it sucks. I think this is more than just politics though. Not like any politics I've ever seen anyway and I'm old.

Addicted Member

Just a proposal but still something to keep an eye on.

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...ation-roundups

There's also contingency plans for an invasion of Canada. This is what these govt agencies do. They sit around & make plans on stuff that will likely never have a chance in hell of happening. But they have to be prepared for the unknown.

This proposal of mobilizing the Natl Guard is just more fake news meant to fan the flames of hysteria.
    Happy 2017!

it's serious and it's not serious.

mostly because the kind of people in charge don't really just contingency plan as a matter of due diligence. they are not exactly the diligent sort.

i could see this having some more intent behind it than the canada invasion, which btw we should definitely do asap
    always reasonable

Aaron Judge Career Homer #8
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v1294788283/s...-to-deep-right

theoretically im not opposed to separating high risk pool, but i'd rather have them be in a high quality state run hospital network and really control the cost/benefit of treatment provided.

the va system is a bit of a mixed bag but generally delivers higher quality of care than the private sector for high need patients. could have that as a basis for the hospital for high risk patients.

something like 70-80% of healthcare insurance payout is to the top 5% cost cases, and over 50% are for chronic conditions. this is the largest driver of healthcare cost increase.
    always reasonable

Aaron Judge Career Homer #8
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v1294788283/s...-to-deep-right

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    the va system is a bit of a mixed bag....
    Sure, if by "mixed bag" you mean excessive wait times to be seen, a flawed governance model, insufficient staffing, inadequate facilities, and a stone-age recordkeeping system.

We have veterans that are dying before they can even be seen at a VA clinic. Otherwise the wait times (for those that live) would be even longer.

The VA is NOT the health care model you want to emulate.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

I'm actually an O'Reily fan. Been watching him since 2001. And he's a great author. His Killing series is really good. At least the ones I've read. Been meaning to read Killing The Rising Sun

The others I don't take seriously.
    I think Chris Wallace is excellent. In fact I think he's the only conservative on Fox who doesn't slant the news at all. I try to catch his Sunday show every week because he asks the tough questions conservatives don't like to answer. He was bickering last night with O'Reilly and I though he won the argument handily.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Sure, if by "mixed bag" you mean excessive wait times to be seen, a flawed governance model, insufficient staffing, inadequate facilities, and a stone-age recordkeeping system.

We have veterans that are dying before they can even be seen at a VA clinic. Otherwise the wait times (for those that live) would be even longer.

The VA is NOT the health care model you want to emulate.
    I've not heard anything good about the VA but have not looked for it either. Do you disagree with the rest of the sentence as well - "delivers higher quality of care than the private sector for high need patients"?

Thread Information