+ Reply to Thread
Page 1334 of 1340 FirstFirst ... 334 834 1234 1284 1324 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 ... LastLast
Results 33,326 to 33,350 of 33480

Re: President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I would go the other way and stress the idea that, whatever Comey's shortcomings, they should not be allowed to distract from the far deeper and more consequential shortcomings of our only President. Yes, Comey's trying to sell a book, and the combination of that and his overweening self-righteousness doesn't always look pretty. But I think there's plenty of reason to believe that most of what he says is true, starting with the fact that it fits with everything else we know. Comey isn't the important issue here.

Plus, I think your attacks on him are a little over the top. Did you see the interview, or are they based on snippets you've read from the book?
    I watched the interview.

And yes, George Staphylococcus is pure slime too. I can't forget watching that threatening phone call (re Clinton) to a journalist when he didn't know he was being taped. That cemented my opinion of him.

Gotta hit the road and make some money! Can discuss later.

Edit: Also "most of what he says is true" somehow doesn't cut it for a man in his position. At least it doesn't sit right to me.

Life is good

He said several powerful things but in my opinion lowered himself by commenting on Trumpís orange skin and tiny hands. Leave that for the tabloids.
    you are your own happiness

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    He said several powerful things but in my opinion lowered himself by commenting on Trumpís orange skin and tiny hands. Leave that for the tabloids.
    Nothing, but selling points for the book.
    God, I love Yankee fans as they're never satisfied!

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    He said several powerful things but in my opinion lowered himself by commenting on Trump’s orange skin and tiny hands. Leave that for the tabloids.
    I agree that Comey would have been better off not commenting on Trump's hair, skin, and tiny, tiny hands.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I would go the other way and stress the idea that, whatever Comey's shortcomings, they should not be allowed to distract from the far deeper and more consequential shortcomings of our only President. Yes, Comey's trying to sell a book, and the combination of that and his overweening self-righteousness doesn't always look pretty. But I think there's plenty of reason to believe that most of what he says is true, starting with the fact that it fits with everything else we know. Comey isn't the important issue here.

Plus, I think your attacks on him are a little over the top. Did you see the interview, or are they based on snippets you've read from the book?
    Comey is one thing, but Trump is on a different level when it comes to character shortcomings and he's President of the United States and that should be frightening to all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    I agree that Comey would have been better off not commenting on Trump's hair, skin, and tiny, tiny hands.
    It still was funny hearing those comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    It still was funny hearing those comments.
    It's funny, but it seems like a person in Comey's position should be above commenting on Trump's amazingly extraordinarily tiny hands. That's for people like us.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

It's funny, but it seems like a person in Comey's position should be above commenting on Trump's amazingly extraordinarily tiny hands. That's for people like us.
    As I stated he's trying to sell books and that type of stuff helps sell them. He's no longer a public servant so he should be able to sell his wares as he pleases. The stain of Donald Trump is already on him so I doubt those comments matter very much anyhow.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    I'm honestly not quite sure what Trump's behavior has to do with wash woman Comey's. We could speak about their faults separately without equating the two.

What's amusing is that not long ago Comey was a villain in the Clinton and Dem camp, not to mention the media. Funny how some have done a 180, even on this board. Not long ago he lost all credibility to some here and was blamed for Hillary losing the election, when only prior to that he was a hero for not indicting her. Wild stuff going on in these parts.

Lastly, I don't think Trump made that video of himself (where he's punching out that CNN reporter).

I have not wavered from my position on Comey I think he is an honest and honorable man who tried to his job under trying circumstances. trump and the republican party have lived on the premise that the best defense is a strong offense and they use smear tactics in an effort to poison the public against any of their detractors.

How anyone can justify support of such an immoral man as trump is way beyond my comprehension

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

I've never noticed that Trump had teeny weeny little hands.

Heh, who am I kidding. Of course I have. Everyone has.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    I have not wavered from my position on Comey I think he is an honest and honorable man who tried to his job under trying circumstances. trump and the republican party have lived on the premise that the best defense is a strong offense and they use smear tactics in an effort to poison the public against any of their detractors.

How anyone can justify support of such an immoral man as trump is way beyond my comprehension

Andy
    Comey made a major mistake by being too out there with his public announcements about the Clinton investigation while being silent about the Trump one. If Mueller was conducting those investigations, you wouldn't hear anything like what Comey stated before the election.

Particularly when he's also trying to play the choir boy.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ommand/558074/

Even if heís offering to take you to church, you donít get into a car with a drunken driver. That same caution should operate with Trump, even if you might otherwise approve any particular decision that emerges from his administration.

This president is not in command of himself. Heís obsessed with his own problems. He seethes with rage and resentment for all the world to viewóand those emotions are visibly distorting his decision-making.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    You see, here we go again. Iíll end up reading this and likely agreeing with a lot of whatís written. This promotes lock-stepism and itís not fair to those who are not yet willing to admit their support for Trump. What I need to do is find an article written in both-sidesism.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Comey made a major mistake by being too out there with his public announcements about the Clinton investigation while being silent about the Trump one. If Mueller was conducting those investigations, you wouldn't hear anything like what Comey stated before the election.
    Comey comes across as a sanctimonious, self-righteous blowhard who made some big mistakes that may have warranted his dismissal. Trump's firing him when and how he did ia part of a pattern of obstruction with the Russia investigation. I have no conflict with those two statements both being true.
    Repeal the 2nd Amendment.

Andy
    Comey is way-too-easy to dislike. For all his scruples and adherence to the law, ultimately he covered his own butt when the chips were down (chips being, appearances).

That said, it shouldnít cloud anybodyís feelings towards Donald Trump, who youíve described quite well, here and elsewhere.

The FBI vs. Trump is a classic "rooting for injuries" scenario, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BB22 View Post
    The FBI vs. Trump is a classic "rooting for injuries" scenario, IMO.
    Yeah, defending the FBI is creates serious cognitive dissonance for me - and yet I still donít find it difficult to choose sides here.

NYYF Legend

I have not seen the Comey interview. I have not and will no be reading the Comey book. I have read a few excerpts from both on various sites and here is my take-away.

James Comey is not a particularly likable or sympathetic figure.

He has made decisions that have angered both sides of the political spectrum and had made some errors along the way that may or not have been worthy of being fired.

That said the errors and mistakes he has made do not appear to come from being loose with the truth or from unethical judgement. It appears to me that the calls to have him fired from either side are largely political and not related to ethics or even to job performance but rather the focus and or direction of what the FBI was or was not investigating at any particular time and whether those investigating focused on "your side" or the "the other side".

In the battle of credibility between Trump and Comey I find it to be no contest. Comey is far more credible and his accounts and actions appear supported by the public record and everything that has played out of the past 24-36 months. Trump on the other hand has repeatedly and consistently lied and or stretched the truth on so many occasions from items ranging to inconsequentially small to item of grave national importance that he's lost any benefit of the doubt when it comes to credibility.

In the Trump/Comey discourse if you can call it that once again Trump comes off a petulant middle school child lashing out on Twitter. I also fin his calling Comey a LEAKER and LIAR as if that's a bad thing in Trump's eyes quite ironic on the heels of Trump giving a full pardon to actual convicted LEAKER and LIAR in Scooter Libby just days ago.

What I find most troubling is not that Trump fired Comey or that Comey would now try to cash in on that with his book deal and tour rather I find it a troubling pattern to Trumps actions.

When confronted with politically damming opponents or even "friends who criticize" his response seems to be to fire. I find this particularly troubling in our top Federal Law enforcement agency where politically motivated firings have forced the narrative now to find justification for the firings after the fact in both Comey and McAbee, neither of whom were particularly likable. However both was fired seemingly for investigating too close to the President and not showing enough loyalty to the POTUS. It's not the job of the FBI to show loyalty to the President. It's their job to investigate Federal crimes regardless of who commits them.

These politically motivated firings to find more loyal men seem more a kin to what we see in a 3rd world banana republic rather than the country that is supposed to a beacon for freedom and democracy.

I mean if we replace the FBI with a loyal force subservient to the president, how is that much different from the Gestapo? I mean were not there yet but is that the path we are on? And while Trump is probably to disorganized to take advantage of something like that, who is to say a future President wouldn't be ready to exploit that is the precedent has been set?

I find Trumps attacks on the both the Free Press and FBI troubling trends for our democracy.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Comey is way-too-easy to dislike. For all his scruples and adherence to the law, ultimately he covered his own butt when the chips were down (chips being, appearances).

That said, it shouldnít cloud anybodyís feelings towards Donald Trump, who youíve described quite well, here and elsewhere.

Look I am far from naÔve, but look at trump and the Republican's record. Look at how he tried to smear most of his fellow candidates. Ted Cruz wasn't born in the US thus he wasn't eligible for the presidency; his father was part of the Kennedy assignation plot; and there was something about Cruz's wife. He went after Bush, Rubio and the others with various smears.
    He attacked President Obama with his incessant false birther claims and he uses every opportunity to spread lies about him. He constantly denigrates former President and his predicessors because his ego doesn't allow him to admit that they were better than him. He and the Republicans continue to spread lies about Mrs Clinton. They tried 12 times with the Bengazi investigations to pin somethin on her. All through the Campaign and through all his current public appearances he calls her a crook with absolutely no proof. He incessantly talks to his base, screaming 'Lock Her Up". She would have made one hell of a better President than trump. I had been a republican for over 60 years, now I am disgusted with them for their adherence to a sexual preditor among other things, and to their lies.

No human is perfect but Comey is a far better man than the trump troops portray him. History will call him a hero to help expose this fiasco of a president.

It will take a decade to undo the damage this demigod has done to our society.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

I don't think Comey is doing his himself any favors with all of this. He just looks like another guy auditioning to become a tv infonews hack.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I don't think Comey is doing his himself any favors with all of this. He just looks like another guy auditioning to become a tv infonews hack.
    Well he is unemployed. TV Infonews hack would be a paying gig.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Look I am far from naÔve, but look at trump and the Republican's record. Look at how he tried to smear most of his fellow candidates. Ted Cruz wasn't born in the US thus he wasn't eligible for the presidency; his father was part of the Kennedy assignation plot; and there was something about Cruz's wife. He went after Bush, Rubio and the others with various smears.
    He attacked President Obama with his incessant false birther claims and he uses every opportunity to spread lies about him. He constantly denigrates former President and his predicessors because his ego doesn't allow him to admit that they were better than him. He and the Republicans continue to spread lies about Mrs Clinton. They tried 12 times with the Bengazi investigations to pin somethin on her. All through the Campaign and through all his current public appearances he calls her a crook with absolutely no proof. He incessantly talks to his base, screaming 'Lock Her Up". She would have made one hell of a better President than trump. I had been a republican for over 60 years, now I am disgusted with them for their adherence to a sexual preditor among other things, and to their lies.

No human is perfect but Comey is a far better man than the trump troops portray him. History will call him a hero to help expose this fiasco of a president.

It will take a decade to undo the damage this demigod has done to our society.

Andy
    It’ll take longer than a decade, because at first, you’d have to fix the freakin Republican Party from doing the same crap over and over and over again. Trump is simply wearing the dirtiest diaper of them all, but make no mistake: they’ve been engaged in these tactics for over 30 years.

Check out the article I just linked. It destroys the credibility of those purported #NeverTrumpers within the Republican Party.

Excerpt:

10) Please explain how close you came to resigning from the party when George W. Bush’s campaign slandered John McCain’s child during the 2000 Republican primary in South Carolina.

11) Please explain in detail how you pushed back against the lies and half-truths lobbed at Al Gore during the 2000 presidential campaign. Please define the salience to the 2000 campaign of the following phrases: Love Canal, Internet, Fairfax Hotel, Love Story.

12) True Or False: Bill Clinton ran drugs out of a small airport in rural Arkansas.

13) True or False: Bill Clinton had two teenagers murdered along a set of railroad tracks in rural Arkansas.

14) True or False: White House counsel Vince Foster’s death was “mysterious.”

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I don't think he cares. Hes a millionaire. He'll teach some. Make money on speeches. Probably write a few more books. He won't lack for opportunities. I don't get the impression that he wants to be a tv guy but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    I'm honestly not quite sure what Trump's behavior has to do with wash woman Comey's. We could speak about their faults separately without equating the two.

What's amusing is that not long ago Comey was a villain in the Clinton and Dem camp, not to mention the media. Funny how some have done a 180, even on this board. Not long ago he lost all credibility to some here and was blamed for Hillary losing the election, when only prior to that he was a hero for not indicting her. Wild stuff going on in these parts.

Lastly, I don't think Trump made that video of himself (where he's punching out that CNN reporter).
    Can you point to any specific examples of people on the left doing a 180 on Comey? All I've seen thus far is the same: didn't like him previously but find him more credible than Trump.

Thread Information