+ Reply to Thread
Page 1002 of 1093 FirstFirst ... 2 502 902 952 992 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1012 1052 ... LastLast
Results 25,026 to 25,050 of 27321

Re: President Donald Trump

[Moderator]

Everybody STOP.

I suggest some of you put others on ignore. Or, if you ask a question and don't like the answer, extend the conversation via PM so the rest of us aren't subject to tripe like this....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I'm not going to go back and forth playing semantics while you pretend (or maybe not pretend) that you don't understand what I'm saying.

I made my point. It's all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregorius Chant
    No, you didn't. But yes, it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee
    I did-- I just can't make you understand it.
    NO ONE wants to wade through people talking past each other. If you don't get the response you're looking for, move along or drop the discussion entirely.

When learned members of the community start making comments like this...

Quote Originally Posted by jl25and3
    I think I see the horse stirring. Let's beat it a few more times, maybe it'll get up again.
    ...it ought to be obvious that you've disrupted the entire thread, and that you're (collectively) annoying the entire community.

[/Moderator]

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    [Moderator]

Everybody STOP.

I suggest some of you put others on ignore. Or, if you ask a question and don't like the answer, extend the conversation via PM so the rest of us aren't subject to tripe like this....

NO ONE wants to wade through people talking past each other. If you don't get the response you're looking for, move along or drop the discussion entirely.

...it ought to be obvious that you've disrupted the entire thread, and that you're (collectively) annoying the entire community.

STOP.
    Thank you
    SJW - bad attempt at insulting people that care about other's rights and not just their own.

Quote Originally Posted by BRenninger View Post
    An excerpt from HRC on her marriage.
    While it's cute that you have such a crush on her, she has NOTHING to do with the subject of this thread, nor does her book.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

[Moderator]

Everybody STOP.

[/Moderator]
    Well maybe if learned members of the community voiced an opinion instead, this wouldn't continue to be a problem.

Point taken, though. As ridiculous as I think it is, I won't press someone for an answer when they are being evasive anymore. I don't understand the point of debate with that condition attached, but it's your call.

While it's cute that you have such a crush on her, she has NOTHING to do with the subject of this thread, nor does her book.
    Seriously? Maybe start leading from the front on this stuff?

Disagree on her book. At least on the parts where she talks about Trump and the book tour interviews she is giving. But we can just as easily use the other thread. Look at that. Me supporting talking about Hillary. It's a strange new world we live in.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregorius Chant View Post
    Seriously? Maybe start leading from the front on this stuff?
    Do you disapprove? Because I don't recall anyone calling out this post:

And another 4 pages dedicated to HRC. Never saw a bunch of men so intimated by a woman
    who down deep knew she was the better candidate and a better POTUS.

Now we can all anxiously await moderator Maynerd bless us with 5 paragraphs on his moral compass target points on HRC and how she should never be POTUS.

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Disagree on her book. At least on the parts where she talks about Trump and the book tour interviews she is giving. But we can just as easily use the other thread. Look at that. Me supporting talking about Hillary. It's a strange new world we live in.
    But, Texsahara...

Quote Originally Posted by Gregorius Chant View Post
    But, Texsahara...
    I don't know what to tell ya. It's weird here in the upside down.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Interesting read on Clinton's book and her reasoning for why she lost.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-why-she-lost/

Just responding to posts (few pages back) about HRC and the infidelity in her marriage and having same policies as WJC.
    The presidency doesn't change who you are. It reveals who you are. First Lady Michelle Obama (2015)

I don't agree with holding Ivanka responsible for Trump's agenda, nor do I expect her to speak out against him.
    I do, given how despicable he is and how much is at stake. None of this is normal.

Well maybe if learned members of the community voiced an opinion instead, this wouldn't continue to be a problem.

Point taken, though. As ridiculous as I think it is, I won't press someone for an answer when they are being evasive anymore. I don't understand the point of debate with that condition attached, but it's your call.
    By the time I got there, there didn't seem to be any actual topic anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I know. I wasn't calling you out per se.

I was thinking about how Kevin does a good job of jumping in and sorting out the mess simply by answering or asking questions honestly and directly.

There should be more Kevins.

Unfortunately, I don't believe his kind reproduces. We must take it upon ourselves to perpetuate his example.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    This is the strategy. You can't get Kennedy to agree to sweeping movement on this issue.

But I bet they sprinkle some religious freedom rhetoric in there. Maybe it boosts the "expressive content" weight. The government mandating when and how you make art is bad, it telling you when and how you can and can't make political art or religious art is moreverybad.

Then they've got their foot in the door and can later argue the case was about hybrid religious freedom and speech. So when the mode of expression isn't so strong (table setter), that's ok because you can play up the religious freedom aspect (feels real strong about gay marriage).

Just a guess. That's why I want the Court to look at the issue more broadly. They've already said generally applicable laws can't really be attacked on certain grounds, so they need to flesh that out. These stupid carveouts and exceptions that they leave room for is obnoxious. State a principle, follow it. Let the facts of the case determine what falls inside or outside rather than adjusting the principle all the time.

That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with relying on one case, especially if it's a good fit.
    I'd agree with you on the incremental approach - get the foot in the door with the expressive freedom, then push it towards religious freedom - if the DOJ hadn't specifically excluded the table setter and the hotel owner. This isn't a brief you can build on to carve out bigger religious exceptions, because they've explicitly rejected that argument.

Nothing wrong with relying on one case, especially if it's a good fit. I don't think this one is all that good a fit. A parade is pretty obviously expressive; a cake, not so much so. The decision's also from 1985, which was a different world in terms of gay rights.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

And *that* is why you're so damn learned, my friend.

Connecting the dots..........

Exclusive: Rice told House investigators why she unmasked senior Trump officials

Source: CNN

Former national security adviser Susan Rice privately told House investigators that she unmasked the identities of senior Trump officials to understand why the crown prince of the United Arab Emirates was in New York late last year, multiple sources told CNN.

The New York meeting preceded a separate effort by the UAE to facilitate a back-channel communication between Russia and the incoming Trump White House.

The crown prince, Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed al-Nahyan, arrived in New York last December in the transition period before Trump was sworn into office for a meeting with several top Trump officials, including Michael Flynn, the president's son-in-law, Jared Kushner, and his top strategist Steve Bannon, sources said.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/13/politi...als/index.html
    The presidency doesn't change who you are. It reveals who you are. First Lady Michelle Obama (2015)

Connecting the dots..........

Exclusive: Rice told House investigators why she unmasked senior Trump officials

Source: CNN

Former national security adviser Susan Rice privately told House investigators that she unmasked the identities of senior Trump officials to understand why the crown prince of the United Arab Emirates was in New York late last year, multiple sources told CNN.

The New York meeting preceded a separate effort by the UAE to facilitate a back-channel communication between Russia and the incoming Trump White House.

The crown prince, Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed al-Nahyan, arrived in New York last December in the transition period before Trump was sworn into office for a meeting with several top Trump officials, including Michael Flynn, the president's son-in-law, Jared Kushner, and his top strategist Steve Bannon, sources said.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/13/politi...als/index.html
    Ok. And..?

I know. I wasn't calling you out per se.

I was thinking about how Kevin does a good job of jumping in and sorting out the mess simply by answering or asking questions honestly and directly.

There should be more Kevins.

Unfortunately, I don't believe his kind reproduces. We must take it upon ourselves to perpetuate his example.
    You've never heard of fission?
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

I'd agree with you on the incremental approach - get the foot in the door with the expressive freedom, then push it towards religious freedom - if the DOJ hadn't specifically excluded the table setter and the hotel owner. This isn't a brief you can build on to carve out bigger religious exceptions, because they've explicitly rejected that argument.

Nothing wrong with relying on one case, especially if it's a good fit. I don't think this one is all that good a fit. A parade is pretty obviously expressive; a cake, not so much so. The decision's also from 1985, which was a different world in terms of gay rights.
    I wouldn't be totally shocked if there was some behind the scenes maneuvering from one or more of the liberals offering to join a very very narrowly written decision to avoid religious freedom language possibly being sprinkled in and used as persuasive authority in future cases. I think they generally want to come to as much consensus as they can, so if, say, Breyer or Kagan or somebody see they're going to lose 5-4, I wouldn't be surprised if they offer to join and/or concur with all or part of the majority if they're willing to moderate some of the language, which they might be especially willing to agree to since Masterpiece has implicitly conceded those points.
    -Kevin

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

This just in from Chuck and Nancy:

Ryan Lizza‏Verified account @RyanLizza 3m3 minutes ago

Schumer & Pelosi say they convinced Trump to support deal that enshrines DACA into law & includes border security measures short of a wall.
    0 replies 0 retweets 0 likes

Color me shocked

This just in from Chuck and Nancy:

Ryan Lizza‏Verified account @RyanLizza 3m3 minutes ago

Schumer & Pelosi say they convinced Trump to support deal that enshrines DACA into law & includes border security measures short of a wall.
    0 replies 0 retweets 0 likes

Color me shocked
    Schumer and Pelosi need to shut up and keep making Trump think these things are his idea.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    Schumer and Pelosi need to shut up and keep making Trump think these things are his idea.
    And get it in writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    They (Chuck and Nancy) know exactly how to massage 45*'s massive ego. They did it with the debt ceiling. He'll turn it in as his idea. That's all moot though. As long as DACA gets passed it's a win/win for our country. Wonder how Sessions is feeling. No dinner and may get thrown under the bus.
    It's funny. When I hear 45* say "Chuck and Nancy" it's like a local reporter throwing it back to Chuck and Nancy at the local news desk.

Sarah Sanders‏Verified account @PressSec

While DACA and border security were both discussed, excluding the wall was certainly not agreed to.

10:21 PM - 13 Sep 2017

Thread Information