+ Reply to Thread
Page 1862 of 1871 FirstFirst ... 862 1362 1762 1812 1852 1859 1860 1861 1862 1863 1864 1865 ... LastLast
Results 46,526 to 46,550 of 46755
    Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Megalomania has surrounded every rightwing president since when, '68? What do you expect me to say here? Trump's a garbage human being. But Nixon let people die in an attempt to be re-elected. Reagan sold arms that led to the massacre of good people in Central America so that he could make good on a deal that got him into office, and Bush Jr blew the world up because he failed to appreciate IC info. And then there's the Atwaters and Roves, etc.

This is the machine.

Trump is just the latest bile.
    I lived through all those things, too, and Trump is a difference of kind, not just of degree.

NYYF Legend

Re: President Donald Trump

The only difference is Trump needed to be removed from office for both mental defect and also the blatant emoluments abuse.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I lived through all those things, too, and Trump is a difference of kind, not just of degree.
    Nope.

The only difference is Trump has Fox News.

Nope.

Well, you’ve said it repeatedly, so I guess it’s fact.

NYYF Legend

Well, you’ve said it repeatedly, so I guess it’s fact.
    Thank you.

Keep digging for some deeper meaning and you'll find you've given yourself a wedgie.

Thank you.

Keep digging for some deeper meaning and you'll find you've given yourself a wedgie.
    It’s @n idiotic comparison, but you believe it.

NYYF Legend

It’s @n idiotic comparison, but you believe it.
    Doc,

Trump's an idiot. But he's shown how far the GOP have gone to exploit our institutions.

When somebody brighter comes along with a calculated demeanor, then what?

"OH he's the worster ever!11!!" ?

Do you see the point I'm making yet?

Trump is a symptom.

And at the thought of a "no backsies" approach to getting him out of office. When Trump is out of office, they need to go after him with everything so that he'd rather be buried under the jail than live in it.

Hope is eternal

Yes Trump is a symptom of a bigger problem. But people forget that Trump did not win just from his base. He had former Bernie supporters and a lot of former Obama voters to win. Most of which, are long gone. His base isn’t big enough now, nor will it be in the future for him to win again.
    The sky is falling! We are doomed!

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Nope.

Nixon wanted to make a right wing propaganda network in the worst way. If he had Fox News he would have finished out his term.

Trump is exponentially worse than Nixon and yet we're "only" at 58% approval for impeachment. Why? Because this is what goes on the air every night.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ting-regicide/

Former U.S. attorney Joseph E. diGenova turned to European history Tuesday night to describe the Democrats’ impeachment inquiry into President Trump, calling their efforts “regicide,” the act of killing a king.

“What you’re seeing is regicide,” diGenova, a frequent Trump defender, told Fox News host Laura Ingraham. “This is regicide by another name, fake impeachment. The Democrats in the House want to destroy the president."

But diGenova, a conspiracy theorist Trump wanted on his legal team during the Russia probe, wasn’t finished. In a lengthy interview on “The Ingraham Angle,” the lawyer, who was joined by Trump’s personal attorney Rudolph W. Giuliani, blasted the two anonymous whistleblowers as “suicide bombers” and accused Democrats of “sedition.”
    Regicide....in America.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Yes Trump is a symptom of a bigger problem. But people forget that Trump did not win just from his base. He had former Bernie supporters and a lot of former Obama voters to win. Most of which, are long gone. His base isn’t big enough now, nor will it be in the future for him to win again.
    I also don't see 3rd party people getting upwards of 5% of the vote. Many people didn't love her, but were so convinced that Hillary would trounce Trump that they figured it was safe to vote their conscience and went with Gary Johnson or Jill Stein. I don't see that happening again.

Oh look, another instance of Trump choosing the one thing that works out best for Putin in foreign policy.

The Trump administration is pulling out of the Open Skies Treaty, which allows the United States and our allies and partners in Europe to monitor Russian military deployments. Withdrawal risks dividing the transatlantic alliance.

https://foreignaffairs.house.gov/_ca...eaty-final.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Never underestimate the power of voter suppression. And Russian influence/interference.

Hope is eternal

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    Never underestimate the power of voter suppression. And Russian influence/interference.
    Even with that I am confident the Dems will win. Difference is this time it is a known issue.

Rudy may be a bigger nutburger than Trump and that's not easy to do.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Rudy may be a bigger nutburger than Trump and that's not easy to do.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/07/o...p-ukraine.html

What Happened to Rudy Giuliani?
    The man I worked for in 1993 is not the man who now lies for Donald Trump.

By Ken Frydman
    Mr. Frydman was press secretary for Rudolph W. Giuliani during the 1993 mayoral campaign.

Watching and reading Rudy’s ferocious lying for Mr. Trump, whether on Fox or CNN, forced me to re-examine his last 25 years, especially the profiteering from Sept. 11. But Ukraine was the coup de grâce. We who admired him for so long expected much more from Rudy Giuliani and his legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    I also don't see 3rd party people getting upwards of 5% of the vote. Many people didn't love her, but were so convinced that Hillary would trounce Trump that they figured it was safe to vote their conscience and went with Gary Johnson or Jill Stein. I don't see that happening again.
    Many people hated her, and were convinced she was dishonest, corrupt, unethical, and dishonorable, forcing them to turn to Gary Johnson or Jill Stein, because they were aghast that the Democrats would nominate her. I don't see that happening again. Sure, some third party voters may have been convinced the election was already won, but there were many others who were vehemently opposed to both major party candidates. That's a far cry from "didn't love her."

Politically, I don't align with a lot of the Democratic candidates. And, those I like stand no chance of surviving the process (Klobuchar, Bennett). But I don't see the massive voids in ethics and the blatant dishonesty of the last Democratic Presidential candidate. I would easily vote for a candidate who is organized, prepared, and HONEST, despite being politically misaligned with my values. Elizabeth Warren and Pete Buttigieg are the obvious examples. I dislike their positions on a lot of issues. But, at the same time, I'm impressed with their preparedness and their ability to lead and inspire, which is far preferable, to me, than the Republican incumbent. I refused to vote for him last time around, and he has done nothing to convince me he's competent or honest.

Mine has never been a 'safe' Republican vote, either nationally or locally. I tend to vote for more Republicans than Democrats, because I sit well right of center. However, I assess the candidates, weigh their strengths and weaknesses, and vote for the candidate who I think will best serve the people. [I find that to be much more satisfying than voting a straight-line party ticket.] In 2016, the honest candidate that would put the people first was neither Trump nor Clinton. In 2020, I cannot envision any circumstances that would allow me to vote for Trump. It's up to the Democrats to nominate a palatable alternative. They have quite a few to choose from. Should they fail to do so....again....my vote will continue to go to a third party candidate.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Good to see Maynard willing to take a moral stand for 3rd party and pseudo vote for Trump. Burn it to the ground so we can rebuild?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Sure, some third party voters may have been convinced the election was already won, but there were many others who were vehemently opposed to both major party candidates. That's a far cry from "didn't love her."
    I think you're in the minority for seeing them as equally bad/unqualified. I don't know if there's been polling done, but my gut tells me many Johnson/Stein voters would easily do a re-do and vote for Hillary if they knew how close it would be. She was predicted to win by historic margins so there was a sense it was safe to give your vote to the 3rd party.

Politically, I don't align with a lot of the Democratic candidates. And, those I like stand no chance of surviving the process (Klobuchar, Bennett). But I don't see the massive voids in ethics and the blatant dishonesty of the last Democratic Presidential candidate. I would easily vote for a candidate who is organized, prepared, and HONEST, despite being politically misaligned with my values. Elizabeth Warren and Pete Buttigieg are the obvious examples. I dislike their positions on a lot of issues. But, at the same time, I'm impressed with their preparedness and their ability to lead and inspire, which is far preferable, to me, than the Republican incumbent. I refused to vote for him last time around, and he has done nothing to convince me he's competent or honest.

Mine has never been a 'safe' Republican vote, either nationally or locally. I tend to vote for more Republicans than Democrats, because I sit well right of center. However, I assess the candidates, weigh their strengths and weaknesses, and vote for the candidate who I think will best serve the people. [I find that to be much more satisfying than voting a straight-line party ticket.] In 2016, the honest candidate that would put the people first was neither Trump nor Clinton. In 2020, I cannot envision any circumstances that would allow me to vote for Trump. It's up to the Democrats to nominate a palatable alternative. They have quite a few to choose from. Should they fail to do so....again....my vote will continue to go to a third party candidate.
    Might be better for the other thread, but which of the Dems running this time falls into the category of unpalatable alternative?

I don't it's possible for Trump to make himself look more guilty than he's already doing. In blocking Sondland from testifying, the White House is blocking Congress from questioning the guy who Trump himself keeps saying exonerated him of the military aid quid pro quo.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...defense-trump/

Hope is eternal

What is happening in Syria Is a disgrace. With what has happened the last three years, next time America needs a coalition, our former allies will say go screw and rightly so.

I think you're in the minority for seeing them as equally bad/unqualified.
    I didn't use the word 'equally,' either during the election or now. But, I found both to be unqualified. There was discussion of holding your nose while voting for one or the other. I was unwilling to do so, particularly when the lack of qualification was due to honesty and ethics.
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan
    I don't know if there's been polling done, but my gut tells me many Johnson/Stein voters would easily do a re-do and vote for Hillary if they knew how close it would be. She was predicted to win by historic margins so there was a sense it was safe to give your vote to the 3rd party.
    I suspect you're right. I'm just saying that there were ALSO a lot of 3rd party voters who would still vote for Johnson or Stein even if they knew how close the whole thing would be.

Might be better for the other thread, but which of the Dems running this time falls into the category of unpalatable alternative?
    I have issues with Bernie, but based on his unrealistic worldview, and not his honesty. I have ever-growing issues with Biden and conflicts of interest. Harris has not yet satisfactorily explained her track record with regard to incarceration in California, and her apparent tack to the left once she decided to run for POTUS. None of those are completely disqualifying, as happened last time around. But, my discomfort is high. Biden and Harris, in particular, have some 'splainin' to do.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Devoted Member

I think you're in the minority for seeing them as equally bad/unqualified. I don't know if there's been polling done, but my gut tells me many Johnson/Stein voters would easily do a re-do and vote for Hillary if they knew how close it would be. She was predicted to win by historic margins so there was a sense it was safe to give your vote to the 3rd party.
    While Clinton was certainly more qualified, let's not forget that she was also an historically unpopular candidate in 2016. Yes, in hindsight there are probably people who would want to change their votes but, at the time, there were certainly a large number of people who didn't like either candidate.

No major party nominee before Clinton or Trump had a double-digit net negative “strong favorability” rating. Clinton’s would be the lowest ever, except for Trump.
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...cord-breaking/

I'd still say the big mistake was the party basically coronating Clinton as their nominee and not allowing her to be really challenged in the primary.

NYYF Legend

Wow if centrist I work across the isle uncle Joe, and Kamilla I may have been too tough on crime are problematic for leans heavily right independent I doubt you’ll ever case a Presidential vote for someone with a D next to their name.

Though with Harris I don’t think you need to worry about her getting the nomination, at least not the top spot.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

I didn't use the word 'equally,' either during the election or now. But, I found both to be unqualified. There was discussion of holding your nose while voting for one or the other. I was unwilling to do so, particularly when the lack of qualification was due to honesty and ethics.I suspect you're right. I'm just saying that there were ALSO a lot of 3rd party voters who would still vote for Johnson or Stein even if they knew how close the whole thing would be.

I have issues with Bernie, but based on his unrealistic worldview, and not his honesty. I have ever-growing issues with Biden and conflicts of interest. Harris has not yet satisfactorily explained her track record with regard to incarceration in California, and her apparent tack to the left once she decided to run for POTUS. None of those are completely disqualifying, as happened last time around. But, my discomfort is high. Biden and Harris, in particular, have some 'splainin' to do.
    What conflicts of interest with Biden?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Many people hated her, and were convinced she was dishonest, corrupt, unethical, and dishonorable, forcing them to turn to Gary Johnson or Jill Stein, because they were aghast that the Democrats would nominate her. I don't see that happening again. Sure, some third party voters may have been convinced the election was already won, but there were many others who were vehemently opposed to both major party candidates. That's a far cry from "didn't love her."

Maynerd, no one was "forced" to vote for Johnson or Stein or anyone else. Russians did a lot to help convince people to vote for Stein, but no force was involved.

Colorado is probably safely blue in 2020, which means that - thanks to the wonders of the Electoral College - you can vote for Larry Harmon and I really don't care. If your vote mattered, I'd consider a third-party vote in this case to be unpatriotic.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Thread Information