+ Reply to Thread
Page 1759 of 1846 FirstFirst ... 759 1259 1659 1709 1749 1756 1757 1758 1759 1760 1761 1762 1769 1809 ... LastLast
Results 43,951 to 43,975 of 46127
    not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Re: President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I’m coming to believe more and more that winning back the Senate is more important than winning the presidency. With a Republican Senate, a Democratic President will be completely stymied - MConnell won’t let through a single judgeship, much less a piece of legislation. With a Democratic Senate, OTOH, Trump's damage will be limited, especially in the courts.
    I think that is a perfectly valid point of view.

The senate is broken due to the two per state regardless of population so I don’t see the Dems winning it back anytime soon.

538 had a great discussion on their pod this week. I think they said that if the Dems win the Presidency, they’ll have a 1/3 shot at retaking the senate. If they don’t win the presidency, that falls to 1/5. I’ve boiled this down far too simply and haven’t done it justice.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Yep. That's why it's so infuriating to see good Senate candidates running for president.
    The insane amount of candidates is considerably frustrating.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    I hope the impeachment does show a large section of society who voted for him to not vote for him. But given everything we’ve seen, those people should have already abandoned him. They haven’t cos they want another SCOTUS appointee. And another, and another, and another.
    He speaks to their hatred of all that is "different."

NYYF Legend

Yeah, I saw the plan. I think of it more as doing to the civil service what they’ve already done to the EPA. I don’t think it will get through, but we’ll see.
    The executive branch and the environment are the analogous victims in these stories.

I also doubt the House could ever approve this, but let's see.

In any case, both houses of Congress can't do much without a vetoproof supermajority. DT would really enjoy vetoing things: "Your're VETOOOOOOEEEEEED!!!!"
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    The executive branch and the environment are the analogous victims in these stories.

I also doubt the House could ever approve this, but let's see.

In any case, both houses of Congress can't do much without a vetoproof supermajority. DT would really enjoy vetoing things: "Your're VETOOOOOOEEEEEED!!!!"
    If I understand correctly - certainly no given in this case - a lot of what he wants to do would require budgetary or statutory changes. That is, Congress would have to approve, not just try to override.

For instance, his plan to make the Office of Personnel Management a subsidiary part of the GSA answerable directly to OMB - a death knell - is a legislative proposal. The best source for all this is the Federal News Network: https://federalnewsnetwork.com/opm/2...tive-proposal/

Of course, I could be wrong. Your bureaucratic expertise is way beyond mine.

NYYF Legend

If I understand correctly - certainly no given in this case - a lot of what he wants to do would require budgetary or statutory changes. That is, Congress would have to approve, not just try to override.

For instance, his plan to make the Office of Personnel Management a subsidiary part of the GSA answerable directly to OMB - a death knell - is a legislative proposal. The best source for all this is the Federal News Network: https://federalnewsnetwork.com/opm/2...tive-proposal/

Of course, I could be wrong. Your bureaucratic expertise is way beyond mine.
    They already have control of the House, so a failure to approve is something they can already do. They don't need the Senate. The judge thing is controlled either way, but I think it's better to be the proposer than the confirmer. Meanwhile, he still has control of the military, lots of trade decisions, all those agency actions. McConnell, absent Trump, was power hungry but not irrational. Getting rid of Trump is Job1 in my book.

As to the Civil Service thing, yes, it takes legislation. However, I'm sure there are executive moves in that direction that can be adopted if he doesn't get his legislation. Some evil genius in the WH has taken aim at the Deep State, and career bureaucrats should be very scared.

Hey, you spent a career in state government. I was a Fed for three years forty years ago. I think you are absolutely the better bureaucrat.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

They already have control of the House, so a failure to approve is something they can already do. They don't need the Senate. The judge thing is controlled either way, but I think it's better to be the proposer than the confirmer. Meanwhile, he still has control of the military, lots of trade decisions, all those agency actions. McConnell, absent Trump, was power hungry but not irrational. Getting rid of Trump is Job1 in my book.

As to the Civil Service thing, yes, it takes legislation. However, I'm sure there are executive moves in that direction that can be adopted if he doesn't get his legislation. Some evil genius in the WH has taken aim at the Deep State, and career bureaucrats should be very scared.

Hey, you spent a career in state government. I was a Fed for three years forty years ago. I think you are absolutely the better bureaucrat.
    The bureaucracy and I have never seen eye to eye on much. I’m very close to out of here, with a strong likelihood of just leaving and working out my retirement afterwards.

Besides, I work for New York State. I know very little about working for a relatively honest and decently-run government.

Seriously, even given your limited experience, you understand federal bureaucracy and its rules better than I do.

NYYF Legend

The bureaucracy and I have never seen eye to eye on much. I’m very close to out of here, with a strong likelihood of just leaving and working out my retirement afterwards.

Besides, I work for New York State. I know very little about working for a relatively honest and decently-run government.

Seriously, even given your limited experience, you understand federal bureaucracy and its rules better than I do.
    Well, I can just imagine that if Trump busts the CS hiring system, merit competitive with heavy reliance on the CS exam (I scored 103 out of 100), I can see him filling thousands of career positions with Republican flunkies, especially career positions like ethics officers and IGs. Just imagine how much fun that would be. A President can only appoint about 4,000 employees out of over three million civilian jobs. Ethics jobs can't be political.

I can identify. Three years was all I could take of the bureaucracy. I had to bail. Carter replaced my Ford-appointed Stanford MBA boss with a fat social worker lady from Georgia who was more about doing favors than fulfilling the office mission. We did not get along.

Ethics jobs can't be political.
    We don’ need no steenkin’ ethics.

Well, I can just imagine that if Trump busts the CS hiring system, merit competitive with heavy reliance on the CS exam (I scored 103 out of 100), I can see him filling thousands of career positions with Republican flunkies, especially career positions like ethics officers and IGs. Just imagine how much fun that would be. A President can only appoint about 4,000 employees out of over three million civilian jobs. Ethics jobs can't be political.

I can identify. Three years was all I could take of the bureaucracy. I had to bail. Carter replaced my Ford-appointed Stanford MBA boss with a fat social worker lady from Georgia who was more about doing favors than fulfilling the office mission. We did not get along.
    I’ve always been a good clinician who sucked at paperwork, and it’s always been a source of tension. But until a few years ago, my lateness was tolerated better, because clinical work was seen as the important part; paperwork was twhat we had to do to support it. But now the point of the job is the paperwork, because that’s what gets audited and what generates payment. The clinical work is just the stuff we do in order to create the paperwork.

This is a state hospital, the last stop for kids who’ve been in and out of hospitals. It used to be the place where we could treat kids until they got better. Now the state doesn’t really care if they get better, just if they get discharged.

It’s dispiriting and demoralizing. They’re not happy with me and I’m less happy with them.

NYYF Legend

I still have a cold bottle of bubbly in my fridge waiting for that SOB to leave the oval office. Hopefully sooner than later

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

U.S. President Donald Trump baselessly questioned the mental soundness of the Democrat who leads the House of Representatives, alleging Thursday with no apparent evidence that Speaker Nancy Pelosi has suffered an intellectual decline that has left her unable to comprehend his revised NAFTA deal with Canada and Mexico.

Trump said that Pelosi is “disintegrating,” is “crazy,” is a “mess,” and “doesn’t understand” the trade agreement.

“I don’t think she’s capable right now of understanding it. I think she’s got a lot of problems,” he said.

“I’ll tell you what, I’ve been watching her, and I have been watching her for a long period of time, she’s not the same person. She’s lost it.”
    He also baselessly said of himself - again - "I’m an extremely stable genius."

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...new-nafta.html

Also, after it was pointed out to him that treason was punishable by death, he was asked which of his opponents were guilty of treason and he named Comey, McCabe, Page and Strozk.

Hope is eternal

Basically describing himself and projecting it on Pelosi. There is something seriously wrong with him and am questioning whether in addition to impeachment hearings if declaring him unfit also. Though as the latter is done by the cabinet won’t happen.
    The sky is falling! We are doomed!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...=.3e8285273b25

Distorted videos of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), altered to make her sound as if she’s drunkenly slurring her words, are spreading rapidly across social media, highlighting how political disinformation that clouds public understanding can now grow at the speed of the Web.

The video of Pelosi’s onstage speech Wednesday at a Center for American Progress event, in which she said President Trump’s refusal to cooperate with congressional investigations was tantamount to a “coverup," was subtly edited to make her voice sound garbled and warped. It was then circulated widely across Twitter, YouTube and Facebook.
    On Thursday night, President Trump tweeted a separate video of Pelosi — a selectively edited supercut, taken from Fox News, focused on moments where she briefly paused or stumbled — that he claimed showed her stammering through a news conference. The clip included roughly 30 seconds of Pelosi’s full 21-minute briefing on Thursday, in which she took questions from reporters and discussed what she called Trump’s “temper tantrum.”
    Take car. Go to Mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

NYYF Legend

I think our "extremely stable genius", should release all his school transcripts and undergo a mental evaluation to prove his statement and shut his critics up. Come on "the Don", do it, show your critics up.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

As always, the cruelty is the point.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/24/u...gtype=Homepage

The Trump administration has formally proposed to revise Obama-era civil rights for transgender people in the nation’s health care system, eliminating “gender identity” as a factor in health care and leaning government policy toward recognizing only characteristics of sex at birth.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...less-shelters/

The Department of Housing and Urban Development on Wednesday proposed a new rule that would weaken Obama-era protections for homeless transgender people, allowing federally funded shelters to deny people admission on religious grounds or force transgender women to share bathrooms and sleeping quarters with men.

Hope is eternal

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...51e_story.html

King Trump used emergency powers to sidestep Congress to sell weapons to the murderers in Saudi Arabia and the UAE.

Another blow to democracy and our three branches of government system. You cannot support this and say you love America.
    The sky is falling! We are doomed!

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    There's just... no excuse to harm an already highly marginalized group in this way. It really is for cruelty's sake. There's been a spate of murders of trans black women in particular lately, and Drumpf just feeds those fires. Sick, petty, cruel little man.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...51e_story.html

King Trump used emergency powers to sidestep Congress to sell weapons to the murderers in Saudi Arabia and the UAE.

Another blow to democracy and our three branches of government system. You cannot support this and say you love America.
    Why do the Saudis get passes that other Arab nations don't get? I WONDER.

The last check or balance just got flushed:

Reuters:

Supreme Court grants Republican request to block drawing of new congressional maps in Ohio and Michigan before 2020 elections

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    The last check or balance just got flushed:

Reuters:

Supreme Court grants Republican request to block drawing of new congressional maps in Ohio and Michigan before 2020 elections
    That was expected. They were stayed because there are two gerrymandering cases pending decision by the Court right now. Once those decisions come down, they can decide if they will hear the Ohio and Michigan cases or if there is still any need.
    Take car. Go to Mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

Yesterday I saw that our president called Nancy Pelosi "Crazy" Nancy. C'mon, he already uses that one for Bernie Sanders. He's just mailing it in now.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    He's just mailing it in now.
    "Just mailing it in" would be an improvement over his active "leadership." We should be so lucky.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    The majority of the Republican congress will not vote for impeachment simply because they do not want to lose the trump base. That would cripple their chances for votes for any national office in 2020.
    Without a chance then for a vote for impeachment in the Senate it is futile to begin impeachment proceedings against trump. there is nothing to gain. Destroy him and the Republicans in the voting booth.
    I am concerned about all the candidate running for President in the Democratic party. We need to pick the best candidate and promote the heck out of him/her. We need to beat trump we cannot let 2016 happen. We know with an absolute certainty that trump will try to smear any candidate put up against him. Hopefully the Dems are preparing a campaign strategy as we speak.

Andy
    . The Trump base is what scares me. How can people support him when he acts like a dictator and his party is afraid to confront him? Hopefully, there is no major conflict in the near future that can create a major decision on his part.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Yesterday I saw that our president called Nancy Pelosi "Crazy" Nancy. C'mon, he already uses that one for Bernie Sanders. He's just mailing it in now.
    Hasn’t he used "Lyin'" for about five different people by now?

Thread Information