+ Reply to Thread
Page 1518 of 1526 FirstFirst ... 518 1018 1418 1468 1508 1515 1516 1517 1518 1519 1520 1521 ... LastLast
Results 37,926 to 37,950 of 38133

Re: President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    While I feel bad for each of the 126 people affected by this news, I don't see this as material, empirical evidence of much - particularly since the company said they hope to reopen in 3 to 6 months.

Has anyone seen an unbiased summary of any known impacts - favorable or unfavorable - that can be directly attributed to the tariff implementation since deployed? I've seen a few things but all heavily slanted and untrustworthy.
    If tariffs are imposed and stay in place, no one wins. That is basic economics - something on which economists across the board agree. That said, I don't think we've implemented the full array of threats at this point, so it's still mostly brinksmanship.

Trump's only hope is that the other side caves and he is allowed to rewrite some of the rules of the game. But even if Trump strikes new trade "deals" with these countries it will be interesting to see who the true beneficiaries are. I'm sure he'll claim he achieved massive concessions regardless, but will they be for most Americans (who want free trade because it makes goods cheaper) or will it primarily benefit corporations and Trump's family?

I think what remains to be seen in the interim is how short-term losses are allocated. While the soybean farmers in the midwest already got pummeled, Trump's proposed bailout will come from the Treasury and thus be borne by everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    What do you find biased about that article in The Hill? This is hardly an isolated case.
    I didn't say I found that particular article biased. Seems pretty straight forward. What I'm saying is that it's a very isolated scenario.

While there are articles that claim unfavorable jobs/costs impacts via higher import costs like this one, there are others that claim favorable impacts like in the aluminum industry. I'm wondering if there's a simple, unbiased view of the known, quantifiable impacts - both actual and forecasted - that can be attributed to the new tariff policies.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    If tariffs are imposed and stay in place, no one wins. That is basic economics - something on which economists across the board agree. That said, I don't think we've implemented the full array of threats at this point, so it's still mostly brinksmanship.

Trump's only hope is that the other side caves and he is allowed to rewrite some of the rules of the game. But even if Trump strikes new trade "deals" with these countries it will be interesting to see who the true beneficiaries are. I'm sure he'll claim he achieved massive concessions regardless, but will they be for most Americans (who want free trade because it makes goods cheaper) or will it primarily benefit corporations and Trump's family?

I think what remains to be seen in the interim is how short-term losses are allocated. While the soybean farmers in the midwest already got pummeled, Trump's proposed bailout will come from the Treasury and thus be borne by everyone.
    Don't disagree, just wondering if there's an analysis of the actual and forecasted impacts. Haven't seen a good one, let alone one that doesn't reek of politics.

Trump = raising taxes on ordinary Americans.
    So, he's a Democrat now?

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

I didn't say I found that particular article biased. Seems pretty straight forward. What I'm saying is that it's a very isolated scenario.

While there are articles that claim unfavorable jobs/costs impacts via higher import costs like this one, there are others that claim favorable impacts like in the aluminum industry. I'm wondering if there's a simple, unbiased view of the known, quantifiable impacts - both actual and forecasted - that can be attributed to the new tariff policies.
    This is not an isolated scenario at all. As for the aluminum industry, I’m sure that will serve as great comfort to those who are losing their jobs or farms in other industries as well as to consumers who are paying higher prices for major purchases like automobiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    So, he's a Democrat now?
    He’s been a Democrat, a Republican, an Independent, and who knows what else.

Come on, Maynerd, we all know that he has no ideology and no loyalty to anyone other than himself . . . and Vladimir Putin. By his behaviour he reveals himself to be a fascist.

Don't disagree, just wondering if there's an analysis of the actual and forecasted impacts. Haven't seen a good one, let alone one that doesn't reek of politics.
    I think it's too soon to have a comprehensive analysis of all the costs.

There are also anecdotal "winners" like the steel workers, so each instance of effects is kinda meaningless. Foundational economic theory says that on the whole it will be losses.

Reject Fascism

So, he's a Democrat now?
    Or a republican who cuts taxes, mainly for the wealthy and as a result inflation climbs erasing all of the minuscule break the middle school got then cost them more and say how better off they are?
    2018: the year the USA put children in cages

This is not an isolated scenario at all. As for the aluminum industry, I’m sure that will serve as great comfort to those who are losing their jobs or farms in other industries as well as to consumers who are paying higher prices for major purchases like automobiles.
    I have no idea why you're taking my inquiry personally. I said up front I feel for the 126 people that will reportedly be impacted by the closure of that shop in October, even if it is only temporary. That sucks big time.

What I'm trying to better understand is... are there offsetting impacts to other industries/workers at the macro level? I don't know that there are; I'm asking.

And I don't know the answer to the problem, but what do you think should be done about trade deals where we show material deficits, particularly in scenarios where the trade partner subsidizes exports or takes part in other unfair trade practices?

Trying to learn here, not get into a debate.

Where have you looked? I just did a simple Google search and up popped all kinds of articles with analyses and forecasts. Not a single one sees a favorable net impact on the US economy and jobs forecast. Most are from business oriented sources, not from political sources. I particularly recommend Tax Foundation. Here are some others:

Wall Street Journal
    Business Insider
    Forbes
    Atlantic Council
    AEI
    Bloomberg
    Brookings

There are plenty more.

I have no idea why you're taking my inquiry personally. I said up front I feel for the 126 people that will reportedly be impacted by the closure of that shop in October, even if it is only temporary. That sucks big time.

What I'm trying to better understand is... are there offsetting impacts to other industries/workers at the macro level? I don't know that there are; I'm asking.

And I don't know the answer to the problem, but what do you think should be done about trade deals where we show material deficits, particularly in scenarios where the trade partner subsidizes exports or takes part in other unfair trade practices?

Trying to learn here, not get into a debate.
    Not taking it personally at all. Just pointing out that the macro analysis ignores the very real pain and disruption to workers and their families. Trump’s campaign made it a point to target those “forgotten workers” who had been hurt by the loss of jobs overseas. For him to come back now and claim that the macro picture is more important than the loss of jobs resulting from his policies seems just a tad hypocritical. His first responsibility should be to do no harm.

In response to your question about what he should do, the first thing shouldn’t have been to sign off on TPP, which I also originally opposed. However, I realized that the deal made us a player in Asia and provided a vehicle through which many of these inequities could be addressed and it could be done much more efficiently than going country by country.

Second, the biggest subsidy that foreign competitors receive is national health care. Before anything else, American companies are handicapped by having to pay for their workers’ health insurance AND the costs are the highest in the world BY FAR. Instead he has undermined a Republican friendly plan, thereby driving costs even higher. He could have used the ACA as a starting point and improved it going forward instead of reverting back to more expensive approaches.

The third thing he could do is to stop acting like he has all the answers. He could actually bring industry experts together to advise him and he could actually listen to them. Then he could initiate multi-lateral talks. Good old, fashioned diplomacy and negotiations instead of bullying people, which never works.

The Shadow Rulers of the VA

How Marvel Entertainment chairman Ike Perlmutter and two other Mar-a-Lago cronies are secretly shaping the Trump administration’s veterans policies.
    Forget the myths the media's created about the White House. The truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

I fully agree with this sentence, up until the word "and." Everything after that is as bad as the GOP voters' position in the article you (and jlw) posted.
    I disagree. Until the cancer that is Trumpism is exorcized they do not deserve a single seat in the House or Senate. They all know how disastrous and degrading Trump is but they choose to do nothing out of fear of a primary. They let the inmates run the asylum and as such have lost their chance to govern. We need two viable parties in this country, but right now we only have one.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar

Not taking it personally at all. Just pointing out that the macro analysis ignores the very real pain and disruption to workers and their families. Trump’s campaign made it a point to target those “forgotten workers” who had been hurt by the loss of jobs overseas. For him to come back now and claim that the macro picture is more important than the loss of jobs resulting from his policies seems just a tad hypocritical. His first responsibility should be to do no harm.

In response to your question about what he should do, the first thing shouldn’t have been to sign off on TPP, which I also originally opposed. However, I realized that the deal made us a player in Asia and provided a vehicle through which many of these inequities could be addressed and it could be done much more efficiently than going country by country.

Second, the biggest subsidy that foreign competitors receive is national health care. Before anything else, American companies are handicapped by having to pay for their workers’ health insurance AND the costs are the highest in the world BY FAR. Instead he has undermined a Republican friendly plan, thereby driving costs even higher. He could have used the ACA as a starting point and improved it going forward instead of reverting back to more expensive approaches.

The third thing he could do is to stop acting like he has all the answers. He could actually bring industry experts together to advise him and he could actually listen to them. Then he could initiate multi-lateral talks. Good old, fashioned diplomacy and negotiations instead of bullying people, which never works.
    In an ideal world, which would exist with a very inexperienced leader who is willing to better the world situation, this would very likely work.

Seeing how The Donald is infamous for being a spoiled child, insisting that he's the smartest kid in the whole room, and berating others who aren't in step with his madhouse standard operating procedures, I don't see this happening.

Everything revolves around what makes Trump look good or makes him happy. All else is irrelevant.

Trump also refuses to humble himself for anyone not named Vladmir Putin.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Aretha Franklin; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J; Smokin' Joe

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/a...-for-july.html
    Donald Trump has obliterated his weekly dishonesty record. The U.S. president made 132 false claims last week, 19 per day, almost five times his average. That shatters his previous record of 103 false claims in a week, which he set in June.
    The false claims last week included many of his usual exaggerations and major new lies about a startling variety of subjects. Among the whoppers: he claimed that Americans need photo identification to “buy groceries” or to “buy anything” (obviously not), that car plants are opening in Pennsylvania (none are), that Justice Neil Gorsuch was number one in his class at Harvard Law School (Gorsuch wasn’t close), that the European Union refused to talk trade with Barack Obama (the EU engaged in three years of trade negotiations with Obama), that he is surrounding the U.S. with missile defence systems (U.S-based interceptor missiles are located only in California and Alaska), that a Democratic senator who explicitly opposes the abolition of Immigration and Customs Enforcement supports the abolition of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, and that Bill Clinton was silenced for two weeks by Hillary Clinton after the ex-president made a controversial campaign comment about Obamacare (Bill Clinton did two speaking events the very next day and two the day after that), and that NATO was “essentially going out of business” before his presidency because of a decline in members’ military spending (members’ military spending had increased in each of the two previous years).
    Trump is now up to 2,291 false claims for the first 563 days of his presidency, an average of 4.1 per day.
    Forget the myths the media's created about the White House. The truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand.

NYYF Legend

Uneducated retirees gain citizenship likely through "chain migration" and likely having been sponsored by a woman who worked illegally on her visa.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/09/polit...ens/index.html

President Donald Trump's in-laws are officially United States citizens.

Viktor and Amalija Knavs, the parents of first lady Melania Trump, were granted citizenship Thursday, their immigration attorney, Michael Wildes, announced.

"It went well and they are very grateful and appreciative of this wonderful day for their family," he said in a statement to CNN.

The first lady's office declined to comment.

NYYF Legend

Great Paul Ryan feature in the NYTimes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/07/m...mentsContainer

I really do see him as the fallen/tragic figure in our great current Greek tragedy. Trump certainly isn't the tragic figure (too one-note, no character development, no internal conflict, not really a person with agency). Paul Ryan was the man who had principles that knowingly and consciously gave them up, because to stay true to them would have been to admit to himself that his life's work had created a monster.

He's the "good man" in "the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". Sure, Democrats would not agree with Paul Ryan's principles (or that he was a "good man"), but he did have them at one point, and he has to live with knowing that he's running from a disaster.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Great Paul Ryan feature in the NYTimes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/07/m...mentsContainer

I really do see him as the fallen/tragic figure in our great current Greek tragedy. Trump certainly isn't the tragic figure (too one-note, no character development, no internal conflict, not really a person with agency). Paul Ryan was the man who had principles that knowingly and consciously gave them up, because to stay true to them would have been to admit to himself that his life's work had created a monster.

He's the "good man" in "the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". Sure, Democrats would not agree with Paul Ryan's principles (or that he was a "good man"), but he did have them at one point, and he has to live with knowing that he's running from a disaster.

I will sleep well knowing that Paul Ryan will spend the rest of his life regretting that he wasn't able to slash Social Security, repeal the ACA, or turn Medicare into a a Groupon voucher. I hope it eats away at him for the rest of his days.

NYYF Legend

So, he's a Democrat now?
    Trump is a Trumpian, always has been, always will be.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

I just spent three days looking at Chicago architecture, and I came to a reluctant, almost nauseating conclusion: the Trump Tower there is a great building. Attractive, interesting, well thought-out, eye-catching but not vulgar.

Except, of course, for the giant T R U M P on the side. That sounds a bit like saying Sarah Jessica Parker is pretty except for her face, but the letters won’t be there forever.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I just spent three days looking at Chicago architecture, and I came to a reluctant, almost nauseating conclusion: the Trump Tower there is a great building. Attractive, interesting, well thought-out, eye-catching but not vulgar.

Except, of course, for the giant T R U M P on the side. That sounds a bit like saying Sarah Jessica Parker is pretty except for her face, but the letters won’t be there forever.

Didja take a selfie with Trump Tower?
    If you can't change your mind, you can't change anything

Reject Fascism

Trump on another rant about football players kneeling. Glad he is speaking out on the important issues of the day (eye roll).

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Trump on another rant about football players kneeling. Glad he is speaking out on the important issues of the day (eye roll).
    In Trump's mind ranting about the kneeing is win-win. First it's a dog whistle for his supporters and secondly he gets to rant against the NFL. He still holds a grudge against them because he couldn't get his Jersey USFL team incorporated into the NFL when the league folded.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Reject Fascism

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    In Trump's mind ranting about the kneeing is win-win. First it's a dog whistle for his supporters and secondly he gets to rant against the NFL. He still holds a grudge against them because he couldn't get his Jersey USFL team incorporated into the NFL when the league folded.
    Exactly. I think what is worse is that it works with the base

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Exactly. I think what is worse is that it works with the base

Yes. Nothing like watching some millionaires protest about, I forget now. Something though.
    If you can't change your mind, you can't change anything

Thread Information