+ Reply to Thread
Page 1156 of 1567 FirstFirst ... 156 656 1056 1106 1146 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1166 1206 1256 ... LastLast
Results 28,876 to 28,900 of 39151
  1. #28876

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Kaitlan Collins ✔ @kaitlancollins
    Trump spent last night phoning allies and friends, asking them how they thought the “................hole” remark was playing out in the press. One White House official referred to it as a “victory lap.”
    What's sad is he's patting himself on the back. It's the "normalization" effect. His supporters obfuscate by parsing his words: "Well this phrase really means this, while this one doesn't mean that". Losing the obvious signal of racism in what he spouts.

    Meanwhile, a report comes out that a porn star received hush money to silence her affair with Orange Mussolini. And THAT is buried in the news. It tells you the current pathetic state of the POTUS office when an affair with a porn star is irrelevant news right now.

  2. #28877

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    "The past year of research has made it very clear: Trump won because of racial resentment"

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox...-anxiety-study
    Thanks for the link. Interesting read.

    Texsahara’s comment, to which I posted, was in response to Fred Muggs saying that he “refused to believe that fully 46% (Trump’s percent of the voters) of the country is racist.”

    The article you linked is about 41% of white millennials. The additional summary of the research goes on to talk about correlations and trends, which doesn’t tell us what percent of a voting group voted the way it did “because of racial resentment.” There are normally an array of factors and even the #1 factor rarely describes most people in the group.

    In talking about this particular election, it becomes even more complicated because a majority of the voters rejected Trump even if we focus only on those who voted for one of the 2 major parties. Trump won because of a quirk in our system, called the Electoral College. To determine the critical attitudes which swung the election, it would take an analysis of the voters in the states like Michigan where he won by narrow margins to obtain the necessary electoral votes.

    Further complicating the outcome is the role of Russian interference. Recent reports of micro targeting key voters in those swing states with outright lies and truly fake news casts a whole new light on what determined the outcome. I still not convinced that outright manipulation of actual voting tallies wasn’t involved. This is standard stuff in Russian elections, so why wouldn’t they do that here?

    I certainly agree that there is a racist core of probably 15-20% in the Trump Base of the 46% who voted for him. Trump has already lost 10 of that 46%, so it’s clear that the racist core is nowhere near 46%. His disapproval ratings are historically high, so as his ineffectiveness grows, he is likely to lose even more support among those who overlooked his racism and voted for his support of more traditional Republican causes. That in itself is a problem, but it doesn’t mean that racism was the determining factor.

  3. #28878
    Reject Fascism
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo_T View Post
    What's sad is he's patting himself on the back. It's the "normalization" effect. His supporters obfuscate by parsing his words: "Well this phrase really means this, while this one doesn't mean that". Losing the obvious signal of racism in what he spouts.

    Meanwhile, a report comes out that a porn star received hush money to silence her affair with Orange Mussolini. And THAT is buried in the news. It tells you the current pathetic state of the POTUS office when an affair with a porn star is irrelevant news right now.
    This is the sick mentality of the 45 base.
    2018: the year the USA put children in cages

  4. #28879
    NYYF Legend

    theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Basking Ridge, NJ

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    No, I think this is mostly correct. Where I'd disagree is that Trump's history probably makes the comment in and of itself racist. Calling a country where mostly black people live a sh*thole is not, in a vacuum and said by a mannequin with no personal history, clear evidence of racism.
    A few of you have said that. I disagree. I think even Donnie deserves to have his bloviations judged without prejudice. If you want to say Donnie is a racist and anything that he says therefore may be deemed racist, that's your privilege; there are no rules for this. I just find it intellectually facile and lacking in fairness. When there were clear racist statements in the same paragraph, why bother focusing on a statement that must "consider the source" before it can really be judged racist? I think it clouds the analysis and detracts from the strength of the argument.

    I certainly am not suggesting that Donnie is not a racist.

    Does anybody remember when Wally Hickel had to resign his Cabinet post because he was overheard telling a racist joke on an airplane? How our standards have fallen....
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  5. #28880
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    A few of you have said that. I disagree. I think even Donnie deserves to have his bloviations judged without prejudice. If you want to say Donnie is a racist and anything that he says therefore may be deemed racist, that's your privilege; there are no rules for this. I just find it intellectually facile and lacking in fairness. When there were clear racist statements in the same paragraph, why bother focusing on a statement that must "consider the source" before it can really be judged racist? I think it clouds the analysis and detracts from the strength of the argument.
    Again, describing the countries themselves as outhouses is not necessarily racist, nor is it the most important part of this. What's racist and important is the clear implication that we don’t want people from brown or black countries.

    The obscenity does help demonstrate how completely unsuitable he is for his job.

  6. #28881
    NYYF Legend

    theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Basking Ridge, NJ

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Again, describing the countries themselves as outhouses is not necessarily racist, nor is it the most important part of this. What's racist and important is the clear implication that we don’t want people from brown or black countries.

    The obscenity does help demonstrate how completely unsuitable he is for his job.
    ...exactly what I am saying.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  7. #28882
    NYYF Legend

    Nome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Branchburg, NJ 08876

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Trust me, this is not in defense of Trump, but I'll go back to what I was saying about his lack of sophistication, diplomacy and eloquence. In his own convoluted, inimitable way, he's calling the countries sh!tholes and perceives that we aren't getting the best of the best because of the conditions of those countries, not the skin color of their inhabitants.

    That's not to say he is or isn't racist. He's said enough things in the past to make me scratch my head and wonder about his upbringing and wtf he was thinking. This isn't one of them. I "sorta" get the Trump-speak on this one, even if I don't agree.


    The real question here is; "Do we want as our president a person who is a racist, who lacks sophistication, diplomacy or tact, a poor businessman who had his companies declare bankruptcy six times stiffing employees, contractors, suppliers, and shareholders and one who obviously doesn't respect women?"

    America deserves better. This man has alienated the heads of half a dozen countries, and with his attacks on North Korea has sparked fear in the American Public to the extent that Hawaii just had a false alarm scare that a missle was launched at them.


    We need people who can solve problems with diplomacy and tact, not to inflame them by calling people names, and demeaning them in his incessant, impetuous tweets. He has no self control. Is this a trait we want in our President? Not for me.


    How can he justify not giving Puerto Rico our full attention in the aftermath of their hurricane disaster. They are not just an island in the ocean, but a land of Americans who need our help and may not be getting it because they are Hispanic.


    We cannot let our country be lead by someone who can only talk in "trump speak". That is the type of talk used by people who don't know better.


    My parents were products of eastern European immigrants. They never got beyond the fourth grade because they needed to work to help support their parents and siblings. My parents were racists and bigots because of their upbringing. I worked my ass off to drive any bias away from my psyche. I am proud in the main because I have driven all the last vestiges of bias from myself and that my kids have none.


    As a country we should strive to do the same.

    Trump wants us to only bring the best and brightest to America's shores. Yes, lets attract some of those but we have always boasted that we were a melting pot, a land where the downtrodden can have freedom and improve their lot. The more we can take people from shethole countries and educate them and help them to realize the American dream, the more we can better the world.


    Of course we need to carefully control the number (not the type, except for excluding criminals and terrorists) of immigrants we assimilate for the reason that their is a practical limit to the population we can support.


    We cannot let our country be governed by people like trump whose character is so badly flawed that he brings out the worst in us.


    Help make America great again. Demand of your political representatives to help us legally dispose of this foul mistake, who appeals to the basest in us. We are better that that.

    The Presidency is the highest office in our land. We want only the best and brightest for that office, not someone as badly prepared as trump.


    Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

  8. #28883
    Not fooling anyone. Soriambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    A few of you have said that. I disagree. I think even Donnie deserves to have his bloviations judged without prejudice. If you want to say Donnie is a racist and anything that he says therefore may be deemed racist, that's your privilege; there are no rules for this. I just find it intellectually facile and lacking in fairness. When there were clear racist statements in the same paragraph, why bother focusing on a statement that must "consider the source" before it can really be judged racist? I think it clouds the analysis and detracts from the strength of the argument.

    I certainly am not suggesting that Donnie is not a racist.

    Does anybody remember when Wally Hickel had to resign his Cabinet post because he was overheard telling a racist joke on an airplane? How our standards have fallen....
    What I'm saying is that when you have a statement you're considering that could be considered borderline racist, it can make sense to take into account someone's history of racist comments or racist statements in the same paragraph to determine that the statement likely had racist intent. The rest of your point is fair enough, that it would be more sensible to focus on unambiguously racist statements, but when people are talking about and defending the ambiguous statement, I don't think it's unfair to argue that it's not as ambiguous as it seems while also pointing out the less ambiguous statements.
    -Kevin

    "My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan


    "I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

    RIP, Pete.

  9. #28884
    R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    North Jersey somewhere

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Thanks, Brad. I know you and I have a mutual respect for each other. And I do appreciate it the same way you do.
    Steve, just as the few intangibles in life are death and taxes, my few intangibles are yourself, Andy and Rizzo. Those are three people who I've met who I'll never ever have to worry about, and I've disagreed with all of you on both social and electoral politics.

    You've always been very honest in your thoughts, you've been an excellent father, bf to an ex forumer, who I've also met.

    You'll never get any judgment from me. It's that simple. Enjoy your day and weekend, pal.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Aretha Franklin; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J; Smokin' Joe

  10. #28885

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Sounds about right.............


    BuzzFeed News

    @BuzzFeedNews

    This is the president's first statement after the entire state of Hawaii was told a ballistic missile attack was imminent:
    https://
    twitter.com/realDonaldTrum
    p/status/952301373479104512....

    5:16 PM - Jan 13, 2018


    Donald J. Trump

    @realDonaldTrump

    So much Fake News is being reported. They don’t even try to get it right, or correct it when they are wrong. They promote the Fake Book of a mentally deranged author, who knowingly writes false information. The Mainstream Media is crazed that WE won the election!
    5:08 PM - Jan 13, 2018
    The presidency doesn't change who you are. It reveals who you are. First Lady Michelle Obama (2015)

  11. #28886
    Devoted Member
    Hoodoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    USA

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    What I'm saying is that when you have a statement you're considering that could be considered borderline racist, it can make sense to take into account someone's history of racist comments or racist statements in the same paragraph to determine that the statement likely had racist intent. The rest of your point is fair enough, that it would be more sensible to focus on unambiguously racist statements, but when people are talking about and defending the ambiguous statement, I don't think it's unfair to argue that it's not as ambiguous as it seems while also pointing out the less ambiguous statements.

    If you can't change your mind, you can't change anything

  12. #28887
    Devoted Member
    Hoodoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    USA

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Someone please tell me when Trump was called a racist prior to him running against Hillary?

    I'm still trying to figure out when he became a racist.
    If you can't change your mind, you can't change anything

  13. #28888
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoodoo View Post
    Someone please tell me when Trump was called a racist prior to him running against Hillary?

    I'm still trying to figure out when he became a racist.
    When the Nixon Administration shut down his discriminatory housing practices in the early 70s?

  14. #28889
    Devoted Member
    Hoodoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    USA

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    When the Nixon Administration shut down his discriminatory housing practices in the early 70s?
    So NBC hired & promoted a known racist? That's quite funny.
    If you can't change your mind, you can't change anything

  15. #28890
    Administrator Bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    The Boonies

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoodoo View Post
    Someone please tell me when Trump was called a racist prior to him running against Hillary?

    I'm still trying to figure out when he became a racist.
    1973 housing race discrimination case in New York. Sued by the federal government.
    Let the kids play.

  16. #28891

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoodoo View Post
    So NBC hired & promoted a known racist? That's quite funny.
    It's funny when he's hired to be a game show host. Not so much when he's the POTUS.

  17. #28892

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    When the Nixon Administration shut down his discriminatory housing practices in the early 70s?
    It's startling people forget this period from his past. The other being the case of the Central Park Five.

  18. #28893
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo_T View Post
    It's startling people forget this period from his past. The other being the case of the Central Park Five.
    He still thinks they’re somehow guilty.

  19. #28894

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Bill Marsh, here's another link I posted a while back.

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...me-inequality/

    Racism motivated Trump voters more than authoritarianism
    "A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people."
    -- Declaration of Independence

  20. #28895
    Devoted Member
    Hoodoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    USA

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo_T View Post
    It's funny when he's hired to be a game show host. Not so much when he's the POTUS.
    You basically made my point.

    Look, I get it. People here don't like Trump because of his policies. So attack him on his policies. This guy is not a politician (I've stated that numerous times) so the deep state, the swamp, the politicos, bureaucrats, and yes, you people of a different political persuasion hate his arse.

    This cacophony from this site about him being a racist is purely your opinion. His history doesn't back it up. He's lived & prospered in NY. He had a successful TV show and I never heard him being slammed as a racist until he won the Republican primary. Seems people of all political persuasions, races, sexes, etc flocked to him.

    So what's the latest on the Russian collusion allegations? I'm not hearing much lately.

    We're 51 weeks into the Trump presidency and the apocalypse has yet to happen. We haven't died. There's still a USA.

    When are we going to die?

    Get over it.
    If you can't change your mind, you can't change anything

  21. #28896

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    He still thinks they’re somehow guilty.
    Oh, they're guilty. Of being black.
    "A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people."
    -- Declaration of Independence

  22. #28897

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Whatcha think, Hoodoo....if a housing application is marked with a “C” to indicate”colored”/do not rent, does that qualify?

  23. #28898

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    He still thinks they’re somehow guilty.
    And allegedly still questions the authenticity of Obama's birth certificate.

  24. #28899

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoodoo View Post
    You basically made my point.

    Look, I get it. People here don't like Trump because of his policies. So attack him on his policies. This guy is not a politician (I've stated that numerous times) so the deep state, the swamp, the politicos, bureaucrats, and yes, you people of a different political persuasion hate his arse.

    This cacophony from this site about him being a racist is purely your opinion. His history doesn't back it up. He's lived & prospered in NY. He had a successful TV show and I never heard him being slammed as a racist until he won the Republican primary. Seems people of all political persuasions, races, sexes, etc flocked to him.

    So what's the latest on the Russian collusion allegations? I'm not hearing much lately.

    We're 51 weeks into the Trump presidency and the apocalypse has yet to happen. We haven't died. There's still a USA.

    When are we going to die?

    Get over it.
    Denial is the heartbeat of racism. NYT 1/12/18
    The presidency doesn't change who you are. It reveals who you are. First Lady Michelle Obama (2015)

  25. #28900
    Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Whatcha think, Hoodoo....if a housing application is marked with a “C” to indicate”colored”/do not rent, does that qualify?
    .........

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts