+ Reply to Thread
Page 2268 of 2273 FirstFirst ... 1268 1768 2168 2218 2258 2265 2266 2267 2268 2269 2270 2271 ... LastLast
Results 56,676 to 56,700 of 56815
    NYYF Cy Young

Re: President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Jim Jordan represents all that's wrong with this country. What a pathetic loser.
    Are you thinking about this?

Dave Weigel
    @daveweigel
    ·
    41m
    Jim Jordan’s call for unity on the House floor includes praising Trump for building the wall, which seems unlikely to convince Democrats

When Matt Gaetz could easily be employed as a seedy used car salesman or a televangelist
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

I've been wondering about the MyPillow guy and he's made an appearance. If you use the coupon code FightForTrump you can get a discount on his crappy pillows (Consumer Reports did a review of the pillows and weren't fans. Sorry MyPillow guy)
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

The more sane (National Review-style) remaining Republicans out there seem to generally express the sentiment of "yeah Trump's disposition and recent actions suck, which is too bad because of his substantial policy achievements".

I don't really get it - what are all these policy achievements they are so proud of, even as Republicans?

- Confirmed a lot of conservative judges. Literally any Republican president with a Republican Senate would have done that, has nothing especially to do with Trump
    - Massive corporate and high-earner tax cuts, which resulted mostly in share buybacks rather than the promised economic growth, AND ballooned the national debt, which Republicans supposedly hate
    - Replaced 400 existing miles of fencing/walls in Texas with new ones, setting the precedent in the process of presidents declaring national emergencies just to re-appropriate congressional funds how they please
    - Trade war with China. Free-market Republicans (which is most Republicans) hate trade wars and tariffs
    - Backed out of Iran deal, which has resulted in nothing except Iran enriching more uranium and our allies losing trust that we'll honor commitments
    - Undermined NATO and other agreements with allies. Alliances are in a substantially worse state than in 2016
    - Did not repeal Obamacare, and did not come up with a viable alternative plan. Did nothing on healthcare in general.
    - Moved US embassy in Israel to Jerusalem to make Israel happy, which accomplishes nothing as Israel was already 100% in love with us and needs us
    - Politicized the Fed as much as possible
    - Accomplished zero with North Korea other than theater
    - Arbitrarily pulled troops out of active conflict zones, abandoning allies and refugees, against the counsel of his generals
    - Failed to in any way punish Russia for putting bounties on the heads of American soldiers
    - Did nothing on infrastructure, did not even attempt it
    - Not sure how any rational being would personally credit Trump with the fast vaccine development, considering the amount of time he spent denying Covid's existence and threat
    - Nearly 400k dead from that same annoying Covid, more than .1% of the entire US population

I could see Republicans liking his Paris deal pullout (which again just hurts our credibility), given that they don't care at all about the planet they and their children depend upon, but it's hard to see simply cancelling something as some major accomplishment.

The only thing that objectively sounds like a positive policy accomplishment is Kushner getting Arab nations to normalize relations with Israel last summer. What is it that people like Bill Kristol are so sad to be losing?

Taking a photo with the statue of Rosa Parks in Statuary Hall. This is more like it, these military guys get it. These are Patriots

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Here's video of Rep. Grothman (R-WI) saying the quiet parts out loud.

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/s...232928263?s=20
    cori bush says the murderous mob was motivated by racism and this republican just gets right up there and admits it
    Paraphrasing here: "It's outrageous to suggest that the MAGA Mob was inspired by racism, when they're just concerned that Mexican immigrants and Black Lives Matters protesters are stealing their country from them. Outrageous, I say."

The pretzels they twist themselves into to keep from doing what they know is the right thing to do is exhausting.

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/s...662851080?s=20
    Republican Chip Roy says President Trump "deserves universal condemnation for what was clearly, in my opinion, impeachable conduct" by pressuring Vice President Pence to reject electors. But he says the article of impeachment is flawed and he can't support it.

We're ten months in and virtually every Republican still won't wear their mask properly.

NYYF Legend

The pretzels they twist themselves into to keep from doing what they know is the right thing to do is exhausting.

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/s...662851080?s=20
    Right, it's all procedural technicalities to save themselves from crossing Trump. Definitely does make you wonder what a Republican president would have to for republicans to actually impeach them.

Rep Quigly (D-IL) with the line of the day: "In all my career as a criminal defense attorney, I never said, 'Yeah, my guy did it but let's get to healing!'"

Scalise actually quoting Lincoln’s 2nd inaugural, calling for “malice towards none, charity for all“ - in his defense of a man who has never and would never follow those principles. A man whose supporters attacked the Capitol wielding Confederate flags. Also, wasn't Lincoln assassinated by an ally of treasonous white supremacists a few weeks after making that speech?

Rep Quigly (D-IL) with the line of the day: "In all my career as a criminal defense attorney, I never said, 'Yeah, my guy did it but let's get to healing!'"
    Cute line, but isn't that exactly what criminal defense attorneys do?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Cute line, but isn't that exactly what criminal defense attorneys do?
    Perhaps as part of a guilty plea. They are here using it as an argument to find the criminal not guilty (really to not even indict the criminal for trial!).

It's more than a cute line, it's a fundamental subversion of the power of impeachment. "He committed impeachable offenses, but I won't impeach because we need unity right now"

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Perhaps as part of a guilty plea. They are here using it as an argument to find the criminal not guilty (really to not even indict the criminal for trial!).

It's more than a cute line, it's a fundamental subversion of the power of impeachment. "He committed impeachable offenses, but I won't impeach because we need unity right now"
    Somehow they've decided that impeaching him is more divisive than an armed insurrection against Congress certifying the results of the election. That's their logic.

Much like Covid, it'll take two impeachments to become immune to Donald Trump.

Somehow they've decided that impeaching him is more divisive than an armed insurrection against Congress certifying the results of the election. That's their logic.
    It would be very uniting if everyone rallied around impeaching him and removing him from office.

NYYF Legend

222 Democratic Yea, 10 Republican yea, 197 Rebulican No, 5 Republican did not vote.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Only president to be impeached twice.
    "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

It should be a fairly swift trial this time, one would think. Although I'm sure someone will figure a way to drag it out.
    Polite Red Sox fan

Quote Originally Posted by HfxBob View Post
    It should be a fairly swift trial this time, one would think. Although I'm sure someone will figure a way to drag it out.
    McConnell said Senate won't come back before the 19th. His last full day. So the trial will be after he's already out of office.
    "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    It would be very uniting if everyone rallied around impeaching him and removing him from office.
    Seriously. If we can't unite in opposition to sedition, what does that say?

Quote Originally Posted by HfxBob View Post
    Pelosi won't deliver the Articles of Impeachment to the Senate for months. She'll want to allow the Senate to approve Biden nominees and then give Biden a 100 day honeymoon before getting the Senate tied down.

So, it was important to impeach Trump right away, but it's not important to actually do anything with that impeachment.

The federal government at work.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    Only president to be impeached twice.
    I'm guessing plans to add Trump to Mt. Rushmore are on hold now.

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Pelosi won't deliver the Articles of Impeachment to the Senate for months. She'll want to allow the Senate to approve Biden nominees and then give Biden a 100 day honeymoon before getting the Senate tied down.

So, it was important to impeach Trump right away, but it's not important to actually do anything with that impeachment.

Do you really believe the start date is that far away?
    Polite Red Sox fan

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post

I thought she's already sent them but Mitch can't be bothered to do much of anything with his remaining Senate Majority position.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Thread Information