+ Reply to Thread
Page 1091 of 1091 FirstFirst ... 91 591 991 1041 1081 1088 1089 1090 1091
Results 27,251 to 27,253 of 27253
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Agree.

But the problem I'm getting at is a system on college campuses has gone so far to an extreme that it is designed to violate the rights of the accused. I suggest that you read bout the case of Jack Montague at Yale. The young woman involved didn't even accuse him. In fact, if she were a man, she would have been considered guilty of rape. He faced a kangaroo court with an absurdly short time line (20 days), where he wasn't even able to defend himself, and which expelled him from school with only one year left to graduation. How do you measure the loss of income that accompanies the loss of a Yale Ivy League degree? May I remind. You that Ivy League athletes don't exactly fit the mold of pampered college athletes. Jack Montague was innocent of any wrongdoing. His family is now saddled with an expensive law suit in federal court against an institution with unlimited resources that will never admit that it did anything wrong.

I went to a college LAX game to see my nephew play. The opponent was Loyola University (MD). One of the players on the Loyola team was one of the falsely accused Duke LAX players. Wasn't even at the party when the alleged assault occurred, and he had proof of where he was - a time stamped ATM receipt. Didn't matter. By the time the truth came out, he was gone from Duke. Any guess what the difference in projected lifetime earnings is between a Duke degree and a Loyola degree? Again, LAX players do not fit the mold of pampered college athletes.

How many innocent young men is it acceptable to unfairly punish? This too is a case or right vs wrong, not right vs left.
    These are a couple of anecdotal problems (and the Duke lacrosse case had nothing to do with a punitive new system, it was an unethically overzealous prosecutor). I do not want to accept Jack Montague being treated badly, but many many many many many many many women have had the system work against them, and have had their lives destroyed as a result. I would choose to address the huge problem before the tiny one.

Re: President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    These are a couple of anecdotal problems (and the Duke lacrosse case had nothing to do with a punitive new system, it was an unethically overzealous prosecutor). I do not want to accept Jack Montague being treated badly, but many many many many many many many women have had the system work against them, and have had their lives destroyed as a result. I would choose to address the huge problem before the tiny one.
    Had the system work against them in what way?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Had the system work against them in what way?
    Do I really have to explain how the system of investigating and following up on rape allegations has worked against women over the years?

Do you honestly doubt that it has?

Thread Information