+ Reply to Thread
Page 1154 of 1171 FirstFirst ... 154 654 1054 1104 1144 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1164 ... LastLast
Results 28,826 to 28,850 of 29255
    not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Re: President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    He's not only a racist, he's a simpleton too who thinks every Asian person knows every other one.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...nicity-n837181

gonna keep saying it: the level of dumb is staggeringly impressive.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    The amount of "Christians" doing mental gymnastics to defend this man is appalling. They haven't read Jesus' words lately, I guess.
    stunned, stunned i tell ya.

Nope. Anyone OK with it IS racist.
    this is why i find everyday with some people so hard once i find out they voted for him.

they literally decided "i'm ok with racism".

i work with someone who voted for him and it makes everyday conversations difficult and yet it explains so much about them. this person lets small amounts of racism drop out at least once or twice a week.

Corporate tax breaks. That's all they care about. Screw the people.
    people say they vote GOP for the economy and national security. that in itself tells you all you need to know. those are the biggest reasons why you do not ever vote GOP in the 21st century - or even during the end of the 20th century.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Just realize that IQ45 is just for our entertainment. Sit back and laugh at his **** show and all his clowns. Nothing serious will come out of the Oval office. When our POTUS isn't welcome by our closest ally that's all you need to know. He'll make for some good laughs when he sneaks in to Davos.
    The clue is to make you and your family non-dependent on anything government. Achieve that and you'll be able to be amused and enjoy the clowns.
    The presidency doesn't change who you are. It reveals who you are. First Lady Michelle Obama (2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    If true, those 3 democrats should be ashamed for even agreeing to this:

http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/B...n-12491206.php

If they were smart, the Dems would take a hard line against any funding for Trump's border wall and force a 'clean bill' on DACA.

The Republicans need their votes to pass any immigration deal, so the Dems have all the leverage here.
    I'm really mixed on some of this. While I agree with what you're saying, I think it's clear a clean bill on DACA isn't happening, and that's going to impact real people. I can understand the desire to pay what basically amounts to a little bribe money to Trump in order to help those people. I'm not sure that stringing Trump along with a little wall money here and a little wall money there in exchange for serious considerations wouldn't be prudent.

I think the wall is a stupid idea, symbolically awful, and a total waste of money, but ultimately I don't really think it would hurt or change things for too many people on either side of the border, so if you can get serious positive immigration reform done or, say, serious positive gun control legislation or serious positive healthcare legislation done in exchange for partially funding the wall, I don't think that's something that should necessarily be totally off the table.

The price should be extremely high for it from the Democrats' perspective (a fairly weak DACA bill wouldn't be that), but I think there's a price.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I am. He's symbolic of the typical Trump voter and closest we have to a proxy for a Trump supporter here at NYYfans.

If he finds it amusing that some folks are understandably upset about the President's overtly racist statements it's a sad commentary on the people who still support Trump. Worse it shows that many of his supporters not only don't care that the President is openly racist, they find it funny.
    Co-sign.
    -Kevin

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    When everything upsets people, the reactions become very entertaining. I really, truly thought that after a while beating the same adjectives down everyone's throat would get old and it would become apparent why so many see it as white noise. But it hasn't. And I am completely amused by it. Rants like the one I responded to have become a trope. It means nothing anymore.

The guy asked over an over "what did I say". At least I'm being honest. I'm not laughing at racism as some think. I'm laughing at that fake ass, judgmental, overcompensating, ridiculousness.
    I think this is one of the major fears of the Trump presidency, that the constant stream of outrageous behavior, which triggers a constant stream of justifiable outrage, will become perceived as white noise because it's so common.

And maybe you're not laughing at racism, but you're laughing at people being offended by racism, which, okay?
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

Very stable genius

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    Co-sign.
    After further thinking I agree as well. Nothing funny about embarrassing the country and more so the harm and hurt he is causing
    my sanity is my biggest strength!

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    Except if he is over 50. They have a hard time to get reemployed and if you do not believe their is age discrimination I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. If you have participated in layoff planning sessions you know that the older employee is targeted primarily because he is the higher paid and has benefits that cost the company more.

Andy
    Unfortunately you are correct that this can happen. I completely sympathize with anyone in this age group that faces this situation. It happened to my father and he never really recovered from it.

That is why I applaud the initiative of companies that are taking money an investing in re-education and training of their employees to keep them current.

Earlier this year, I was involved in a situation where people in this exact age group were desperately trying to keep a certain client's business status quo, when it was completely obvious that the client's business was ripe for disruption, and needed to pivot. There were doing so because the landscape of their business was rapidly changing, and they were losing control and could find themselves in the unfortunate situation listed above.
    Hideki Matsui is capable of anything

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I like Steve, I've generally found him mostly reasonable and agreeable both here and elsewhere on the site even when we disagree on positions. But his position on this topic leaves me with just a little bit less respect for him than I had yesterday.

I can't recall ever seeing him overtly racist. That he would find humor in the President being so open about it is disappointing.
    Anyone can find anything humorous. My point:

Was it any bit more widely known that The Donald would prefer to have a white person from a European country visiting the US of A than a Haitian family?

In NYC, you'll see every type of person on the planet, so I'm a bit biased in many ways. I also grew up next to a Haitian family, one of whom (the daughter) has known my eldest niece for 30+ years.

Color me amused that someone who has openly defended and spoken fondly of white supremacists, and who even got the thumbs up from many of these that he'd made their thing seem more socially acceptable, would prefer seeing white people than black people.

Telling me that Trump prefers whites over non-whites is like telling me that a crocodile eats meat, not veggies. Or that fish swim in the ocean. Or that a ship can float. It's simply that predictable.

Donald became a household name back when Ed Koch was the NYC mayor. He has adored being the center of attention for the past 30-40 years, so very few things about him surprise me any more.

I think this is one of the major fears of the Trump presidency, that the constant stream of outrageous behavior, which triggers a constant stream of justifiable outrage, will become perceived as white noise because it's so common.

And maybe you're not laughing at racism, but you're laughing at people being offended by racism, which, okay?
    I don’t think it’s a fear at all. I don’t think many even comprehend the idea that “the boy who cried wolf” is an eventuality. If they did it wouldn’t be the same canned response every time. It’s a reflex. It is, to me, white noise. Already passed the point of no return.

There’s no string of words I can put together that’s going to be accepted that will make anyone understand why I don’t believe these comments were made due to race. So you and everyone can make your judgments. I’ll own my comments and take the heat. It’s fine. I know who I am and I don’t care much what people think of me.
    In Cashman I trust.
    Players come and go, flags fly forever.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    He's not only a racist, he's a simpleton too who thinks every Asian person knows every other one.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...nicity-n837181

Seems like self-serving delusion more than anything else.

In NYC, I've seen many of Irish and Italian descent explaining to others where in Ireland, Northern Ireland or Italy where their family was born. I don't consider the "Where are you from?" question, nor the "No, where are you REALLY from?" follow-up to be racist. Sometimes it's an interest in another person.

I've known many Asians, and usually ask where they're from. Not all are from China, Japan, South Korea or Thailand. It's just a manner of identifying the person. Hispanics may come from Puerto Rico, Peru, Spain, Colombia or countless other places.

For the other point that the Korean lady should be working for her, that's totally narcissistic and wasteful, IMHO. I don't believe that it's anyone's mission to help Trump doing anything that he considers of value. That's why he's allowed to hire a team of international strategists.

Trump would be wise not to think of others' lives in such meaningless ways.

I donít think itís a fear at all. I donít think many even comprehend the idea that ďthe boy who cried wolfĒ is an eventuality. If they did it wouldnít be the same canned response every time. Itís a reflex. It is, to me, white noise. Already passed the point of no return.

Thereís no string of words I can put together thatís going to be accepted that will make anyone understand why I donít believe these comments were made due to race. So you and everyone can make your judgments. Iíll own my comments and take the heat. Itís fine. I know who I am and I donít care much what people think of me.
    Steve, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I'm glad that you're honest about yours.

I'd much rather someone tell me what they truly think, even if I disagreed with it, than just flapping their lips to try to say what everyone else is saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    Steve, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I'm glad that you're honest about yours.

I'd much rather someone tell me what they truly think, even if I disagreed with it, than just flapping their lips to try to say what everyone else is saying.
    Thanks, Brad. I know you and I have a mutual respect for each other. And I do appreciate it the same way you do.
    In Cashman I trust.
    Players come and go, flags fly forever.

Well said, Kevin. It's truly distressing and not remotely funny.

I donít think itís a fear at all. I donít think many even comprehend the idea that ďthe boy who cried wolfĒ is an eventuality. If they did it wouldnít be the same canned response every time. Itís a reflex. It is, to me, white noise. Already passed the point of no return.

Thereís no string of words I can put together thatís going to be accepted that will make anyone understand why I donít believe these comments were made due to race. So you and everyone can make your judgments. Iíll own my comments and take the heat. Itís fine. I know who I am and I donít care much what people think of me.
    "The Boy who Cried Wolf" is a very different story if the wolf's actually there almost every time.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

NYYF Legend

There are a few things going on here. I don't think calling Haiti and the African nations "S***holes" is by itself racist. I am the descendant of irish immigrants and the Ireland of my ancestors, thanks to centuries of English oppression and exploitation, was a prototypical s***hole. Haiti, and many of the countries in Africa, are also places of suffering and desperation and also deserve the name.

That said, for a US President to use such a phrase in an official meeting is beyond contempt for his personal lack of class, and for the disrespect he does to his office and to those who identify with the countries he so described.

The racist component, and it is also contemptible, comes in expressing the preference for more Norwegians and fewer Haitians and Africans. Immigrants, throughout our history, and even including our WASP original colonists, tended to be those fleeing s***holes. These are the people our nation was built on. We should want more of them...because they need it more and it is the humane thing to do. To wish for the opposite, at least in the case of DJT, is clearly discrimination based on skin color.

I know it's gloriously easy to denigrate Trump as a racist for calling Haiti a s***hole, but it is more complex than that, even if he is a racist who called Haiti a s***hole. That's not why he is a racist. It's the rest of what he said.

So I guess I'm sort of, partially, in Steve's camp. (sorry Steve)
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Their job was eliminated.
    We agree. That's the only relevant point.

It wasn't called a "bonus," no, but it was described as a sort of mitigating factor.

Is it a failure of tax "reform?" No, but I think the original point was a reaction to the ATT bonuses being described as an immediate benefit of the tax bill. I agree, it's had no effect yet, but jobs certainly aren't being created as a result of it.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

When everything upsets people, the reactions become very entertaining. I really, truly thought that after a while beating the same adjectives down everyone's throat would get old and it would become apparent why so many see it as white noise. But it hasn't. And I am completely amused by it. Rants like the one I responded to have become a trope. It means nothing anymore.

The guy asked over an over "what did I say". At least I'm being honest. I'm not laughing at racism as some think. I'm laughing at that fake ass, judgmental, overcompensating, ridiculousness.
    Steve, it's not overcompensating or ridiculous. Why did you think that the outrage would die down? It's outrageous every single day, every single time. I don't want to become less outraged. I don't want it to be business as usual. He is an ongoing offense to American values and American democracy. Laugh all you want, because you don't seem to think that the Presidency is a serious position, or that anything he does is meaningful. I do, and I'll continue to take it seriously, without laughing.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    So... I don't think anyone can argue that the sh*thole comments weren't extraordinarily dumb and callous. And it does appear to me that Trump has racial biases. But given the choice here between moving to Norway or Haiti, which would most choose right now? I heard Jen say earlier that she'd love to move to Norway, but didn't hear her talking about investing in property in Haiti. I don't think she's a racist.

So were these comments racist, or just dumb and callous?

Also - the person who leaked them is kind of a jerk as well. I'd bet just about everything I own that many/most presidents have defamed other countries in private.
    The use of the word has obscured the real problem, which was his saying that we don't want immigrants from those countries. Brown and black countries. We want nice white Nordic immigrants.
    - Barry Manilow

"The Boy who Cried Wolf" is a very different story if the wolf's actually there almost every time.
    Well played.
    - Barry Manilow

Very stable genius

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    There are a few things going on here. I don't think calling Haiti and the African nations "S***holes" is by itself racist. I am the descendant of irish immigrants and the Ireland of my ancestors, thanks to centuries of English oppression and exploitation, was a prototypical s***hole. Haiti, and many of the countries in Africa, are also places of suffering and desperation and also deserve the name.

That said, for a US President to use such a phrase in an official meeting is beyond contempt for his personal lack of class, and for the disrespect he does to his office and to those who identify with the countries he so described.

The racist component, and it is also contemptible, comes in expressing the preference for more Norwegians and fewer Haitians and Africans. Immigrants, throughout our history, and even including our WASP original colonists, tended to be those fleeing s***holes. These are the people our nation was built on. We should want more of them...because they need it more and it is the humane thing to do. To wish for the opposite, at least in the case of DJT, is clearly discrimination based on skin color.

I know it's gloriously easy to denigrate Trump as a racist for calling Haiti a s***hole, but it is more complex than that, even if he is a racist who called Haiti a s***hole. That's not why he is a racist. It's the rest of what he said.

Yes I believe we, at least I, have been saying and arguing. Including Norway In is what clearly makes the comments racist. Without saying we need more from Norway it could just be false am offensive dumb statement. With it, it is a racist dumb statement.
    my sanity is my biggest strength!

Give me your tired, you poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to be free
    The wretched refuse of your teeming s**thole shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost, to me.
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

When it's said by a known racist with a long history of racism attached to him and his name then it's a racist comment.
    Poor ownership can hold a baseball team down for years!

As usual, I expect another tweet storm this weekend. He'll try to deflect with more lies and will probably attack Durbin.
    Poor ownership can hold a baseball team down for years!

Suspended

I donít think anybody here has argued Trumpís remarks about Haiti and Africa were racist simply because he called them sh!tholes. The accepted discourse is the comment was followed by a speculation as to why we arenít targeting people from Norway (which came to his brain because he then bragged about his meeting Norwayís leader). Norway, of course, should be referred to in this context as ďa NorwayĒ.

Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    The other message board I post on (training, nutrition,etc) has a few people from Sweden and one or two from Norway.

They are tremendously unhappy with the state of affairs in their country, and constantly complain, and one is expected to move out soon.

Things aren't always as rosy on the inside as they appear to be from the outside.
    Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    It's great when you make absolute statements and cherry pick one possible scenario to support it, while ignoring others.

Thread Information