+ Reply to Thread
Page 1115 of 1115 FirstFirst ... 115 615 1015 1065 1105 1112 1113 1114 1115
Results 27,851 to 27,861 of 27861
    NYYF Legend

Re: President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    It's political correctness run amok when we cannot discuss in broad brush terms what a base is all about. Obviously not every single person can be described in exactly the same way as the base at large, but taken as a whole, go ahead and generalize and stop worrying about speaking up for some relatively small exceptions and discrepancies.
    Exactly. I am finding the folks who invented and use the word snowflake need to look in the mirror. They are so easily offended. As we see.
    Posts in invisible key strokes

It's political correctness run amok when we cannot discuss in broad brush terms what a base is all about. Obviously not every single person can be described in exactly the same way as the base at large, but taken as a whole, go ahead and generalize and stop worrying about speaking up for some relatively small exceptions and discrepancies.
    It's not about political correctness. It's about demeaning a group of people you disagree with politically.

You state that those who are not ignorant are the exception, which is just reinforcing and falsely justifying your own opinion. Contrary to popular belief, Trump is not the first dishonest politician. Hillary was as big a liar as they come. Does that mean her supporters are ignorant?

It's simple. People are willing to tolerate more nonsense from their candidate than they are from a politician on the other side. To call only one side ignorant for doing this is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    It's not about political correctness. It's about demeaning a group of people you disagree with politically.

You state that those who are not ignorant are the exception, which is just reinforcing and falsely justifying your own opinion. Contrary to popular belief, Trump is not the first dishonest politician. Hillary was as big a liar as they come. Does that mean her supporters are ignorant?

It's simple. People are willing to tolerate more nonsense from their candidate than they are from a politician on the other side. To call only one side ignorant for doing this is ridiculous.

I didn't realize it was a "popular belief" that Trump is the first dishonest politician. I would have guessed it's "popular belief" that most or even all politicians are at least a little bit dishonest but I'm sure you have good data on that and aren't just taking the politically correct stand and defending the president.

Incidentally, 57 percent of Trump voters, as of three days ago, believe the Obama birther conspiracy theory. I'd say that's a pretty dumb base if over half of it still believes that.

Not the first, but the most. He lies much more than Hillary ever did.

I didn't realize it was a "popular belief" that Trump is the first dishonest politician. I would have guessed it's "popular belief" that most or even all politicians are at least a little bit dishonest but I'm sure you have good data on that and aren't just taking the politically correct stand and defending the president.
    If you think tbat defending Trump is a) what I'm doing, and) the politically correct thing to do, maybe you shouldn't go around calling other people ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Not the first, but the most. He lies much more than Hillary ever did.
    Regardless-- the point is that being a supporter of a dishonest politician is neither exclusive to the right, as some would have you believe, or an indicator of ignorance.

Regardless-- the point is that being a supporter of a dishonest politician is neither exclusive to the right, as some would have you believe, or an indicator of ignorance.
    I agree. However, being a supporter of a proudly ignorant politician is arguably a somewhat better indicator.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

I agree. However, being a supporter of a proudly ignorant politician is arguably a somewhat better indicator.
    He's definitely not what I would describe as proudly ignorant. In fact, he'll be happy to tell you how much he knows.

But anyhow, people don't change parties because they don't like the candidate. Especially if that candidate just won. They may not agree with the guy but they will defend their party-- and he is the face of that party (to the dismay of a lot of republicans). They'll put up with and in many cases defend actions of his that they would take a Democrat to task for.

That doesn't make them ignorant. It's just the "for us or against us" attitude that is prevalent in politics today.

He's definitely not what I would describe as proudly ignorant. In fact, he'll be happy to tell you how much he knows.

But anyhow, people don't change parties because they don't like the candidate. Especially if that candidate just won. They may not agree with the guy but they will defend their party-- and he is the face of that party (to the dismay of a lot of republicans). They'll put up with and in many cases defend actions of his that they would take a Democrat to task for.

That doesn't make them ignorant. It's just the "for us or against us" attitude that is prevalent in politics today.
    He takes pride in his knowledge, except that he takes ignorance for knowledge. I'd consider that proud ignorance. Arrogant ignorance, if you prefer.

I think your description of party loyalty is true in this case, to the world's regret, but I don't think it's a general truism. There's also a difference between those who support him reluctantly, out of political necessity, and those who support him passionately. I think the latter requires a high level of ignorance in many (though not all) cases
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

He takes pride in his knowledge, except that he takes ignorance for knowledge. I'd consider that proud ignorance. Arrogant ignorance, if you prefer.

I think your description of party loyalty is true in this case, to the world's regret, but I don't think it's a general truism. There's also a difference between those who support him reluctantly, out of political necessity, and those who support him passionately. I think the latter requires a high level of ignorance in many (though not all) cases
    I think that's a fair and accurate distinction.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

I may be naïve but I can't understand why anyone, even those affiliated with a political party, would support and vote for a candidate is so flawed that it is apparent that his interests and
    the best interests of the country are diametrically opposed.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Thread Information