+ Reply to Thread
Page 809 of 1343 FirstFirst ... 309 709 759 799 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 819 859 909 1309 ... LastLast
Results 20,201 to 20,225 of 33557
  1. #20201
    time of my life ... ajra21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Yeah, that's fair.

    What are you getting at?
    i'm trying to understand your point of view/place in the various discussions.

    bernie over everyone. maybe a GOP over hilary, but not trump.

    you voted for a third candidate outside of the two main parties.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

  2. #20202

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    i'm trying to understand your point of view/place in the various discussions.

    bernie over everyone. maybe a GOP over hilary, but not trump.

    you voted for a third candidate outside of the two main parties.
    No, I wrote in Bernie.

    It didn't matter as I live in a solid blue state.

  3. #20203
    Life is good
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: President Donald Trump

    http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/20...easonal-visas/

    Labor shortages due to deportations. And other areas such as Maine tourism hurting.
    you are your own happiness

  4. #20204
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    It's pretty simple, but I'll lay it out anyway:

    I posted a cartoon.

    You made up a snarky strawman post about what I was trying to say:



    Except I said I didn't say any of that, so I said so. Instead of acknowledging this, you claim to not know what I was trying to say. Suddenly you don't understand the cartoon and you didn't make up a bunch of nonsense-- it was my fault for not being clear. Which we both know is BS.

    So in your following posts you are pressing me to explain my 'argument' (which was not an argument but a cartoon). But if I did that, I would be accepting your BS premise that my 'argument' (again, a cartoon) was unclear and that the fault in your posting made up nonsense was mine.

    But I didn't. So we went for two pages of you pressing me to explain a simple cartoon because your ego won't allow you to admit you were wrong.

    And what happened when I didn't explain it? You suddenly and miraculously understood it! Praise Jesus. But you couldn't say just that at this point. It still had to be somehow my fault:



    Now who was acting like a dick?
    No, you didn't say that, because you didn't say anything. The cartoon pretty much said that what DJ did wasn't really a problem - just 15 minutes with a lawyer, as if that were all. The problem is with the media making a big deal out of it while ignoring the other things. I don't think I misrepresented it.

  5. #20205
    time of my life ... ajra21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    No, I wrote in Bernie.

    It didn't matter as I live in a solid blue state.
    ok. good info.

    if you lived in a swing state, would you have done the same?
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

  6. #20206

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/20...easonal-visas/

    Labor shortages due to deportations. And other areas such as Maine tourism hurting.
    That has nothing to do with deportations.

  7. #20207

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    ok. good info.

    if you lived in a swing state, would you have done the same?
    I would have voted Hillary.

  8. #20208

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    No, you didn't say that, because you didn't say anything. The cartoon pretty much said that what DJ did wasn't really a problem - just 15 minutes with a lawyer, as if that were all. The problem is with the media making a big deal out of it while ignoring the other things. I don't think I misrepresented it.
    You two need to do battle in some other form. I'm considering hot dog eating, solving 3 rubik's cubes, a timed ruckmarch, Rocket League, or a one armed dumbbell snatch 1 rep max. I'll get back to you soon, but if you want a say in the matter, best to IM me soon before I make a decision.
    Hideki Matsui is capable of anything

  9. #20209
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    You two need to do battle in some other form. I'm considering hot dog eating, solving 3 rubik's cubes, a timed ruckmarch, Rocket League, or a one armed dumbbell snatch 1 rep max. I'll get back to you soon, but if you want a say in the matter, best to IM me soon before I make a decision.
    Maybe something involving a Nerf ball.

  10. #20210
    Get Off My Lawn. Maynerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs

    Re: President Donald Trump

    [Moderator]


    Seriously, people?


    Did we really need to belabor a cartoon for PAGES? Obviously, the writer, publisher, and Coffee (as the person who posted it) felt it addressed a significant bias in our media. Those who disagree with that premise were not going to be convinced. Other responders disagreed with the concept that Lynch and Clinton were not viewed under the same microscope as the President. And, no one was going to convince them otherwise.


    Perhaps it would have been better to simply agree with the cartoon, or dismiss it as nonsense, rather than go back and forth ad nauseum about whether the countering argument indicated a lack of understanding, a strawman, or a proclivity to blame someone else for a lack of understanding.


    When we actually discuss the President, this thread can be informative and entertaining, even if a little echo chamber-y. When we go back and forth about each other, the thread becomes cumbersome and unreadable.


    It's the Trump thread; it's not the Coffee-posted-a-cartoon thread. Carry on.


    [/Moderator]

    "But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

  11. #20211

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    [Moderator]


    Seriously, people?


    Did we really need to belabor a cartoon for PAGES? Obviously, the writer, publisher, and Coffee (as the person who posted it) felt it addressed a significant bias in our media. Those who disagree with that premise were not going to be convinced. Other responders disagreed with the concept that Lynch and Clinton were not viewed under the same microscope as the President. And, no one was going to convince them otherwise.


    Perhaps it would have been better to simply agree with the cartoon, or dismiss it as nonsense, rather than go back and forth ad nauseum about whether the countering argument indicated a lack of understanding, a strawman, or a proclivity to blame someone else for a lack of understanding.


    When we actually discuss the President, this thread can be informative and entertaining, even if a little echo chamber-y. When we go back and forth about each other, the thread becomes cumbersome and unreadable.


    It's the Trump thread; it's not the Coffee-posted-a-cartoon thread. Carry on.


    [/Moderator]
    How can you admonish the group to not go back and forth at each other while ad hominem dismissing entire arguments?

  12. #20212

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Welcome back, Maynerd.

  13. #20213

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Thought about going back and catching up. Quickly changed my mind.


  14. #20214

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Maybe something involving a Nerf ball.
    Hideki Matsui is capable of anything

  15. #20215
    Get Off My Lawn. Maynerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by Gregorius Chant View Post
    How can you admonish the group to not go back and forth at each other while ad hominem dismissing entire arguments?
    [Moderator]


    I would consider my note above to be the essence of Moderation. My job is to keep things on track and uphold the standards. In my opinion, the back-and-forth was getting tedious, and it was making the discussion unreadable, so I stepped in. I'd hardly qualify it as an admonishment.....just a friendly nudge to put things back on track. As for dismissing entire arguments, when did this occur? If 99% of the community is in agreement, it hardly counts as an argument. When members disagree on a political perspective, the discussion can be enlightening. When the discussion goes on for pages, and the basic discussion is about who did or didn't understand a political cartoon or whether the premise of the cartoon was accurate, it's time to move along.


    [/Moderator]


    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee
    Welcome back, Maynerd.
    Thanks. Glacier National Park was breathtaking, and Yellowstone remains incredible. Twelve days out in the woods, though.....it's good to be back in civilization.

    "But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

  16. #20216

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    You two need to do battle in some other form. I'm considering hot dog eating, solving 3 rubik's cubes, a timed ruckmarch, Rocket League, or a one armed dumbbell snatch 1 rep max. I'll get back to you soon, but if you want a say in the matter, best to IM me soon before I make a decision.
    Dodge ball.

  17. #20217

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    [Moderator]


    I would consider my note above to be the essence of Moderation. My job is to keep things on track and uphold the standards. In my opinion, the back-and-forth was getting tedious, and it was making the discussion unreadable, so I stepped in. I'd hardly qualify it as an admonishment.....just a friendly nudge to put things back on track. As for dismissing entire arguments, when did this occur? If 99% of the community is in agreement, it hardly counts as an argument. When members disagree on a political perspective, the discussion can be enlightening. When the discussion goes on for pages, and the basic discussion is about who did or didn't understand a political cartoon or whether the premise of the cartoon was accurate, it's time to move along.


    [/Moderator]


    Thanks. Glacier National Park was breathtaking, and Yellowstone remains incredible. Twelve days out in the woods, though.....it's good to be back in civilization.
    I don't have issue except with the bolded. We disagree on "Echo chamber" It's designed to be completely dismissive of opinions expressed without regard to articulation, nuance, or context. And it's a little ironic that virtually every right wing person posting to this thread has used the term in regards to everyone else (dueling echo chambers??).

    It's really not the lefties problem that the righties in the forum either a) don't feel compelled to post or b) can't fully express an opposing viewpoint for whatever reason. Not to mention, it seems the folks on the right generally prefer to talk about literally anything except the thread's topic. Dunno what anyone is supposed to do about that.

    In any event, here's to moving forward with entertaining and enlightening conversation about Trump, and especially his team's attempts at treason!

  18. #20218

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Is that you grandma?



    Exactly. It's was painfully obvious and not the first article posted here on the same topic. Coffee either didn't read it or is being deliberately obtuse. I'm not interested either way.
    Enjoy the echo chamber.

  19. #20219

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Enjoy the echo chamber.
    Good post.

  20. #20220

    Re: President Donald Trump

    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/17/u...ub-ethics.html

    Walter M. Shaub Jr., who is resigning as the federal government’s top ethics watchdog on Tuesday, said the Trump administration had flouted or directly challenged long-accepted norms in a way that threatened to undermine the United States’ ethical standards, which have been admired around the world.

    “It’s hard for the United States to pursue international anticorruption and ethics initiatives when we’re not even keeping our own side of the street clean. It affects our credibility,” Mr. Shaub said in a two-hour interview this past weekend — a weekend Mr. Trump let the world know he was spending at a family-owned golf club that was being paid to host the U.S. Women’s Open tournament. “I think we are pretty close to a laughingstock at this point.”
    Mr. Trump’s repeated trips to his family’s business properties — he has visited one of them on at least 54 days since moving into the White House nearly six months ago, including nearly 40 stops at a family golf course — have caused discomfort for Mr. Shaub each time.

    “It creates the appearance of profiting from the presidency,” Mr. Shaub said. “Misuse of position is really the heart of the ethics program, and the internationally accepted definition of corruption is abuse of entrusted power. It undermines the government ethics program by casting doubt on the integrity of government decision making.”

  21. #20221

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Good post.
    You're not interested in discussing things with someone who might disagree with you.

    What would you call that?

  22. #20222

    Re: President Donald Trump

    More winning, I see.

  23. #20223
    Life is good
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Well Maynerd's warning lasted about 20 minutes
    you are your own happiness

  24. #20224

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    You're not interested in discussing things with someone who might disagree with you.

    What would you call that?
    Yeah, that's it.

  25. #20225

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Yeah, that's it.
    That's certainly what it looks like.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts