+ Reply to Thread
Page 1003 of 1012 FirstFirst ... 3 503 903 953 993 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 ... LastLast
Results 25,051 to 25,075 of 25296

Re: President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    Schumer and Pelosi need to shut up and keep making Trump think these things are his idea.
    They (Chuck and Nancy) know exactly how to massage 45*'s massive ego. They did it with the debt ceiling. He'll turn it in as his idea. That's all moot though. As long as DACA gets passed it's a win/win for our country. Wonder how Sessions is feeling. No dinner and may get thrown under the bus.
    It's funny. When I hear 45* say "Chuck and Nancy" it's like a local reporter throwing it back to Chuck and Nancy at the local news desk.

Sarah Sanders‏Verified account @PressSec

While DACA and border security were both discussed, excluding the wall was certainly not agreed to.

10:21 PM - 13 Sep 2017

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I'd agree with you on the incremental approach - get the foot in the door with the expressive freedom, then push it towards religious freedom - if the DOJ hadn't specifically excluded the table setter and the hotel owner. This isn't a brief you can build on to carve out bigger religious exceptions, because they've explicitly rejected that argument.

Nothing wrong with relying on one case, especially if it's a good fit. I don't think this one is all that good a fit. A parade is pretty obviously expressive; a cake, not so much so. The decision's also from 1985, which was a different world in terms of gay rights.
    Doesn't matter what the briefs say once an opinion is handed down. They need a win first and I think realistically only have a shot at a narrow one; they can argue about what it really "meant" down the road.

5 years in the future: "Hey, we didn't argue religion back then (because we didn't want to get shot down and create bad precedent cough cough), but the Court left that door open and now is the time to address it."

I think it's actually a pretty good case. Unanimous, some good language in there to grab at, the Court takes an expansive view on what constitutes expression - doesn't have to be a manifesto or even particularly formulated and can be as simple as a word on a banner (or icing on a cake?). Of course, whenever a "reasonable observer" standard is available, the Court can do whatever it wants.

You're right it was a different world in terms of gay rights, and that's part of what makes it a good case for the baker - he wants to stay in that world. Court unlikely to overturn that decision, so it has to at least engage within the parameters it set for itself back then. Still, lots of escape hatches if it wants to take them, and I imagine it will, working backwards from decision to analysis as always.

The DACA agreement will give him all the press above the fold. He'll love it like always.
    Now Sanders with her tweet? The WH is scrambling. Once he goes to FL and the islands even he will realize Irma's wrath in FL. and the islands and the billions it's going to cost. No way can he put his wall before that. The "increasing border security" will pacify him for awhile.
    Chuck and Nancy know their "................."

Trump getting a taste of good PR is only gonna have him craving for more. His fanbase is not gonna like this at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I am not real clear on Paul's amendment but isn't the problem due to existing military operations? I get the impression that rescind without replace would endanger those operations because they would no longer have the legal authority to carry them out and that a lot of the Senate that opposed the legislation did so because they don't think a replacement can be voted in within the time frame necessary. I may have that wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I am not real clear on Paul's amendment but isn't the problem due to existing military operations? I get the impression that rescind without replace would endanger those operations because they would no longer have the legal authority to carry them out and that a lot of the Senate that opposed the legislation did so because they don't think a replacement can be voted in within the time frame necessary. I may have that wrong though.
    IDK, but if that's the case I don't see why they couldn't write in something to cover current operations.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    IDK, but if that's the case I don't see why they couldn't write in something to cover current operations.
    I think that would have to be a separate bill that would have to go through more procedural stuff. Again I could be wrong. This is Rand Paul being Rand Paul. He wanted it voted on immediately as part of a defense spending bill and agrees that a replacement would be necessary. There would be a six month window to replace it and that's the concern. Maybe someone else here is more up to speed on it and will weigh in.

White House Strategy to Deal With Leaks Has Been Leaked

Source: Newsweek

BY CALLUM PATON ON 9/14/17 AT 7:47 AM

The newest strategy from the Trump administration to deal with its persistent problem of information leaks has been leaked to to the press, less than a week after it was sent to senior government officials.

The memo sent by President Trump’s National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster across all government agencies, which urged senior officials to clamp down on leaks, was reported by BuzzFeed Wednesday after the news website was sent a copy of the email.

Dated September 8, the message from McMaster, the nation’s most senior security official, asked all federal agencies to hold a one-hour “organization-wide event” to look into how they could bolster prevention of leaks.

“For those with access to classified information, a review of the non-disclosure agreement reminds us of the responsibilities that come with access to, and penalties for unauthorized disclosure of, classified information,” the memo reads.

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-white-...-leaked-664756

I don't care what policies are implemented leaks from any administration are always going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by BRenninger View Post

Maybe it was Ivanka all along.

I'll bet this one was an authorized leak. Those are okay.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Source: Newsweek

BY CALLUM PATON ON 9/14/17 AT 7:47 AM

The newest strategy from the Trump administration to deal with its persistent problem of information leaks has been leaked to to the press, less than a week after it was sent to senior government officials.

The memo sent by President Trump’s National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster across all government agencies, which urged senior officials to clamp down on leaks, was reported by BuzzFeed Wednesday after the news website was sent a copy of the email.

Dated September 8, the message from McMaster, the nation’s most senior security official, asked all federal agencies to hold a one-hour “organization-wide event” to look into how they could bolster prevention of leaks.

“For those with access to classified information, a review of the non-disclosure agreement reminds us of the responsibilities that come with access to, and penalties for unauthorized disclosure of, classified information,” the memo reads.

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-white-...-leaked-664756

I don't care what policies are implemented leaks from any administration are always going to happen.
    The butler did it.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I'll bet this one was an authorized leak. Those are okay.
    You're an authorized leak, but you're not OK.

From the delusional "you can't make this stuff up" book of 45*

WH: Trump has done more for bipartisanship in 8 days than Obama in 8 years

Source: The Hill

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Wednesday that President Trump in the last eight days has done more for bipartisanship than former President Obama did during his two terms as commander in chief.

"This president is negotiating on behalf of the American people, exactly what he was elected to do. The idea that you keep trying to distort this into a bad thing is exactly why this president was elected,” Sanders said in response to a question about the president’s upcoming meeting with Democratic leadership.

“They were sick and tired of business as usual, they wanted somebody who would break up the status quo, that would bring people from both sides of the table together to have conversation. This president has done more for bipartisanship in the last eight days than Obama did in eight years," Sanders added.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...in-8-days-than

From the delusional "you can't make this stuff up" book of 45*

WH: Trump has done more for bipartisanship in 8 days than Obama in 8 years

Source: The Hill

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Wednesday that President Trump in the last eight days has done more for bipartisanship than former President Obama did during his two terms as commander in chief.

"This president is negotiating on behalf of the American people, exactly what he was elected to do. The idea that you keep trying to distort this into a bad thing is exactly why this president was elected,” Sanders said in response to a question about the president’s upcoming meeting with Democratic leadership.

“They were sick and tired of business as usual, they wanted somebody who would break up the status quo, that would bring people from both sides of the table together to have conversation. This president has done more for bipartisanship in the last eight days than Obama did in eight years," Sanders added.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...in-8-days-than
    What does she expect? Obama was born in Kenya as Daffy Donald kept reminding us for 5 years. With help like that, it's little wonder that Obama couldn't build a bipartisan coalition.

We always know when Deadbeat Donald is in trouble. He shows it by he or one of his surrogates lashing out at Obama, or Hillary, or some other irrelevancy from the past. He doesn't seem to get that it's his presidency to do with whatever he can, not for him to compare with anyone else's.

Sarah Sanders must have little or no self-respect to allow herself to be used like that. It's disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    What does she expect? Obama was born in Kenya as Daffy Donald kept reminding us for 5 years. With help like that, it's little wonder that Obama couldn't build a bipartisan coalition.

We always know when Deadbeat Donald is in trouble. He shows it by he or one of his surrogates lashing out at Obama, or Hillary, or some other irrelevancy from the past. He doesn't seem to get that it's his presidency to do with whatever he can, not for him to compare with anyone else's.

Sarah Sanders must have little or no self-respect to allow herself to be used like that. It's disgusting.
    I don't think she's being used. I think she's exactly where she wants to be, saying things she wants to be saying.

Interesting tweet storm this morning. Must have just been joking when he said "I wanted to make sure, unlike most politicians, that what I said was correct, not make a quick statement. The statement I made on Saturday, the first statement, was a fine statement. But you don't make statements that direct unless you know the facts. It takes a little while to get the facts."

Oh. And I don't think anything has been mentioned about Jamele Hill. How do you all feel about the WH saying a private citizen should be fired for her tweets? It's certainly within ESPN's rights to terminate her but the president taking a personal interest in what a private citizen says and going so far as to say she should lose her job seems pretty inappropriate at best to me.

Oh. And I don't think anything has been mentioned about Jamele Hill. How do you all feel about the WH saying a private citizen should be fired for her tweets? It's certainly within ESPN's rights to terminate her but the president taking a personal interest in what a private citizen says and going so far as to say she should lose her job seems pretty inappropriate at best to me.
    August 1970. Charles Manson, and a handful of his followers, were on trial for the Tate-LaBianca murders. The President (Nixon) made the comment, "here is a man who was guilty, directly or indirectly, of eight murders without reason." Nixon stating that Manson was guilty, before a jury had the opportunity to decide guilt, very nearly threw the whole thing into a mistrial.

Not the same (obviously) as Hill, but the same lesson can be learned. The Chief Executive has NO BUSINESS expressing an opinion on the guilt or innocence of a specific person, nor what punishment should result from an individual's actions.

It greatly exceeds "inappropriate" and can easily cross the line into "dangerous."

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

I'm with Maynerd. This veers closer to dangerous than anything else. Something like this is far more dangerous to our 1st Amendment than whether or not Milo gets to troll an audience on someone else's property.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregorius Chant View Post
    I'm with Maynerd.
    Wait. What? Maybe I should rethink my position.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Don't. You complete me.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Thread Information