+ Reply to Thread
Page 1153 of 1563 FirstFirst ... 153 653 1053 1103 1143 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1163 1203 1253 ... LastLast
Results 28,801 to 28,825 of 39075
    Reject Fascism

Re: President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I am. He's symbolic of the typical Trump voter and closest we have to a proxy for a Trump supporter here at NYYfans.

If he finds it amusing that some folks are understandably upset about the President's overtly racist statements it's a sad commentary on the people who still support Trump. Worse it shows that many of his supporters not only don't care that the President is openly racist, they find it funny.
    I do his stance bothering I agree
    2018: the year the USA put children in cages

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Trump received around 46% of the vote (if I remember correctly). Maybe I'm being willfully naive but I refuse to believe that 46% of the country are racists or any percentage close to that number.
    I get that but you should read more of the studies done since the election. Full blown racism, racial resentment and white vulnerability lead the way pretty consistently.

Reject Fascism

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/statu...53042055880705

45 pleased with sh*thole comment. Thinks it plays well with his base. Can’t argue with him here. Non whites need not apply.
    2018: the year the USA put children in cages

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    No, I'm not ignoring the context. They could have applied for the jobs, with all those same advantages, without being laid off. This isn't some kind of bonus they got as part of a severance package, it's just...applying for a job.
    I think I have a pretty good read on how intelligent you are, so this discussion seems to foot to your tag line.

Their job was eliminated. Absent priority placement, they are on their own.

Where did anyone say it's a "bonus"? Priority placement is smart for companies and for employees who desire it. I'm not familiar with all large companies' policies on priority placement, but in my experience and exposure to the experience of many others, priority placement is generally offered at same salary (or more if the new job calls for it), no loss in service time, same (or better) benefits, is generally (although not always) similar hours and within a reasonable travel distance from their prior job.

For some employees, the minor changes may simply not work for them (e.g. maybe a shift that ends at 4 works for me with child care but not a shift that ends at 5). In that case, they are impacted and receive severance from the employers being cited here. For some employees, they may choose to not accept a priority placement and prefer the severance package. For others, they may just be poor performing employees that the company doesn't wish to retain, and they get severance packages if they meet the criteria.

Given all this... I'm still waiting for the OP to explain how this is evidence of tax reform failure. If those jobs impacted by layoffs were still profitable, they wouldn't have been laid off. Has absolutely zero to do with the tax reform. It's the brass tacks of business.

YP67 - if you had an average home with a nice yard, and you paid a landscaper each week to care for it on your behalf... but then took a new job with a significant pay raise, and moved into a huge new luxury apartment in Manhattan... would you continue mailing your landscaper a check? Probably not. But it would be cool if instead you referred him to your neighbors to care for their yards right? That's what this is.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Bernard View Post
    Thank you! Companies lay people off to save money, not to reinvest in those people they just laid off.
    See above. I feel like you all are reading posts no one is writing. Of course they layoff people in jobs no longer profitable to save money. They also try to save money again by offering many of those same employees alternative jobs that ARE profitable. What's the problem? Are you all really arguing that, since there was corporate tax reform, companies are beholden to continuing to pay people in jobs that lose the company money?

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    Good point. It's possible and maybe even probable.

I don't care about consensual sex between adults, either. But I cannot fathom the outrage from the "Christian" right if Obama had done this. I'd wager we'd have a whole lot of hand-wringing about "promiscuous black men" and "sinfulness."
    Yes you can. Just replace Obama with Clinton, Bill. They'd be outraged about it.

What you’re describing isn’t accurate unless I’m misreading you. Companies are very careful about rehiring laid off workers because of the liabilities, specifically in the area of wrongful termination. And if they’re allowing people to apply for positions, they aren’t allowed to show favoritism towards an ex employee vs any other candidate outside of the stated criteria for successfully performing the duties of that position. You could not be more wrong that “apply” is synonymous with “transfer”.

You’re also wrong about keeping severance should an employee be rehired within the gap the severance covered. Companies can (and have) included provisions within their severance guidelines stating partial repayment is necessary if rehired within the time period severance covers.
    Where are you getting this from?

When a division is closed, there is really very limited risk of wrongful termination. It's not performance based, there is no bias... "we are eliminating this division" is about as low risk a termination as there is. And I can't tell you how wrong you are about retaining/rehiring associates that are impacted by job loss in a company. There are literally divisions of HR departments in most large companies that have this as part of their day to day job.

The truth is we don't know what "apply" means here. It could be a lazy way of describing a transfer. It could very well mean that they are going to let impacted employees apply, and if they were bad at their prior job and don't meet the qualifications for the new one, they're out.

And no, he's not wrong about keeping severance - unless that employee is rehired by the company that laid them off during the severance compensation window - which actually happens quite a bit believe it or not.

Where are you getting these hot takes from?

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    Except if he is over 50. They have a hard time to get reemployed and if you do not believe their is age discrimination I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. If you have participated in layoff planning sessions you know that the older employee is targeted primarily because he is the higher paid and has benefits that cost the company more.

Andy
    If you can prove this, you can sue. If you have been in a room doing "layoff planning sessions" and a practice is suggested and implemented targeting people based on age, you've got yourself a nice whistle-blower pay day opportunity Mr. Nome.

I am. He's symbolic of the typical Trump voter and closest we have to a proxy for a Trump supporter here at NYYfans.

If he finds it amusing that some folks are understandably upset about the President's overtly racist statements it's a sad commentary on the people who still support Trump. Worse it shows that many of his supporters not only don't care that the President is openly racist, they find it funny.
    When everything upsets people, the reactions become very entertaining. I really, truly thought that after a while beating the same adjectives down everyone's throat would get old and it would become apparent why so many see it as white noise. But it hasn't. And I am completely amused by it. Rants like the one I responded to have become a trope. It means nothing anymore.

The guy asked over an over "what did I say". At least I'm being honest. I'm not laughing at racism as some think. I'm laughing at that fake ass, judgmental, overcompensating, ridiculousness.
    In Cashman I trust.
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Not bothered by Steve. But I might find Trunp amusing of it was a fictional movie and he didn’t have the power to end the world and is lunatic enough to do it
    I do his stance bothering I agree
    These are within a span of minutes.

So... I don't think anyone can argue that the sh*thole comments weren't extraordinarily dumb and callous. And it does appear to me that Trump has racial biases. But given the choice here between moving to Norway or Haiti, which would most choose right now? I heard Jen say earlier that she'd love to move to Norway, but didn't hear her talking about investing in property in Haiti. I don't think she's a racist.

So were these comments racist, or just dumb and callous?

Also - the person who leaked them is kind of a jerk as well. I'd bet just about everything I own that many/most presidents have defamed other countries in private.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Where are you getting this from?

When a division is closed, there is really very limited risk of wrongful termination. It's not performance based, there is no bias... "we are eliminating this division" is about as low risk a termination as there is. And I can't tell you how wrong you are about retaining/rehiring associates that are impacted by job loss in a company. There are literally divisions of HR departments in most large companies that have this as part of their day to day job.

The truth is we don't know what "apply" means here. It could be a lazy way of describing a transfer. It could very well mean that they are going to let impacted employees apply, and if they were bad at their prior job and don't meet the qualifications for the new one, they're out.

And no, he's not wrong about keeping severance - unless that employee is rehired by the company that laid them off during the severance compensation window - which actually happens quite a bit believe it or not.

Where are you getting these hot takes from?
    I wasn't clear on where wrongful termination comes from. You're right, when companies eliminate a division, part of the purpose is to protect from that. However that's where wrongful termination comes in, the supposed rehiring you've argued that is rampant during layoffs. When a company starts rehiring employees from a terminated division, they expose themselves to potential lawsuits depending on who is hired back. If they hire back younger employees, white employees, etc that creates a lawsuit-rich environment. This is why companies are generally gunshy about hiring back laid off employees.

I'm sorry, you're just wrong about the definition of "apply". Either a company is terminating an employee or transferring them. There is no flexibility where labor laws are concerned. Employee classifications have specific statuses and designations for a reason. HR departments are employed to ensure there isn't anything "lazy" about it because that also creates liability.

I think you need to reread my comment regarding severance. I stated exactly what you're stating.

Finally, you stated that many employees are offered new jobs during layoffs. I'd be curious where you get that information from? Any links?

So... I don't think anyone can argue that the sh*thole comments weren't extraordinarily dumb and callous. And it does appear to me that Trump has racial biases. But given the choice here between moving to Norway or Haiti, which would most choose right now? I heard Jen say earlier that she'd love to move to Norway, but didn't hear her talking about investing in property in Haiti. I don't think she's a racist.

Also - the person who leaked them is kind of a jerk as well. I'd bet just about everything I own that many/most presidents have defamed other countries in private.
    Only republican presidents. How dare you suggest otherwise!
    In Cashman I trust.
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

NYYF Legend

Why can't they be both? I mean Trump's made a habit out of saying racist, dumb and callous stuff for years.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar

Are you sure? I don't remember Steve having any hostilities towards people of color, Jews, Muslims, any hostile objectifying of women. Do you?

What are your criteria for the typical Trump voter? Please elaborate.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Aretha Franklin; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J; Smokin' Joe

The president has stated he wants more merit based immigration. Being from Norway isn't a skill. That's why his comments are racist. They're speaking to a group of people he doesn't want vs a group of people he does.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    Are you sure? I don't remember Steve having any hostilities towards people of color, Jews, Muslims, any hostile objectifying of women. Do you?

What are your criteria for the typical Trump voter? Please elaborate.
    I like Steve, I've generally found him mostly reasonable and agreeable both here and elsewhere on the site even when we disagree on positions. But his position on this topic leaves me with just a little bit less respect for him than I had yesterday.

I can't recall ever seeing him overtly racist. That he would find humor in the President being so open about it is disappointing.
    Baseball is life;

I wasn't clear on where wrongful termination comes from. You're right, when companies eliminate a division, part of the purpose is to protect from that. However that's where wrongful termination comes in, the supposed rehiring you've argued that is rampant during layoffs. When a company starts rehiring employees from a terminated division, they expose themselves to potential lawsuits depending on who is hired back. If they hire back younger employees, white employees, etc that creates a lawsuit-rich environment. This is why companies are generally gunshy about hiring back laid off employees.
    Sure, if a company has discriminatory practices it doesn't matter whether you're talking about rehiring OR new-hiring, firing, compensating, etc. They expose themselves to potential lawsuits. So it's kinda important to not be discriminatory.

I'm sorry, you're just wrong about the definition of "apply". Either a company is terminating an employee or transferring them. There is no flexibility where labor laws are concerned. Employee clarifications have specific statuses and designations for a reason. HR departments are employed to ensure there isn't anything "lazy" about it because that also creates liability.
    True, but I'm referring to the quote from the PR department. They may have used apply and meant it, or used it incorrectly.

I think you need to reread my comment regarding severance. I stated exactly what you're stating.
    I reread it and you did say rehired, but I think it's pretty clear the comment you responded to was regarding to collecting two salaries, one from prior employer and one from new employer.

Finally, you stated that many employees are offered new jobs during layoffs. I'd be curious where you get that information from? Any links?
    LOL - I asked you first since you didn't provide any, and your response is to ask me? I'll be honest, I get that information from a significant amount of exposure to this in real life in large companies. First hand and second hand knowledge. If we're talking about large companies (which are the only examples cited), this is often the case. But if you want to try to find a link that proves me wrong help yourself.

Yes you can. Just replace Obama with Clinton, Bill. They'd be outraged about it.
    True but I think it would've been even worse with Obama.

Why can't they be both? I mean Trump's made a habit out of saying racist, dumb and callous stuff for years.
    If this were the first time he'd said something disgusting, it might be slightly less outrageous. Racism, though, is his habit. It goes back to discriminating against black people for housing several decades ago. It's a lifelong thing for him.
    "A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people."
    -- Declaration of Independence

The president has stated he wants more merit based immigration. Being from Norway isn't a skill. That's why his comments are racist. They're speaking to a group of people he doesn't want vs a group of people he does.
    Or he's speaking about a developed country with some of the highest per capita GDP in the world, as compared to the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. I totally agree - stupid, callous, generalized - but my guess is that there is a greater % of highly skilled laborers in Norway than in Haiti.

Just to be clear, IMHO on a humanitarian basis we should be allowing reasonable levels of immigrants from Haiti, and Haiti by no means should be excluded from a merit based system. And Norwegian immigration should be fully merit-based.

NYYF Legend

Or he's speaking about a developed country with some of the highest per capita GDP in the world, as compared to the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. I totally agree - stupid, callous, generalized - but my guess is that there is a greater % of highly skilled laborers in Norway than in Haiti.

Just to be clear, IMHO on a humanitarian basis we should be allowing reasonable levels of immigrants from Haiti, and Haiti by no means should be excluded from a merit based system. And Norwegian immigration should be fully merit-based.
    Yes because despite the fact that Trumps shouldn't have said it the country largely is a sh!thole. It's the reason people want to emigrate out of there to the USA to get a better life.

But generally folks in Haiti and Africa have much darker skin than folks in Norway which I strongly suspect is the reason Trump mentioned them.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

You'd think that after being in office 11 months with the number of leaks this WH has had he'd expect any thing he says to be leaked at this point.

But yeah I'm sure Presidents with more trustworthy advisors have been similarly candid on countries behind closed doors whether they had a D or and R next to their name. And we just never heard about it.
    Baseball is life;

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I saw this tweet from Nick Mirroff of the Washington Post:
    He should just come out and say it. Non-whites need not apply.
    yeah, it’s not subtle. so many of his remarks are simply a sign hanging around his neck saying: i don’t like non-whites.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    I know it's already been said but why would anybody from Norway want to come here? Why leave a place with universal healthcare, top 5 best education systems in the world, 4 weeks paid vacation, 40+ weeks paid maternity leave, and low unemployment to come live here?
    "hey, come to america where you pay more but get less!"

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    The other message board I post on (training, nutrition,etc) has a few people from Sweden and one or two from Norway.

They are tremendously unhappy with the state of affairs in their country, and constantly complain, and one is expected to move out soon.

Things aren't always as rosy on the inside as they appear to be from the outside.
    everything is relative. you can be unhappy with where your country is going and still know it is hands down better than other nations.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    He's not only a racist, he's a simpleton too who thinks every Asian person knows every other one.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...nicity-n837181

gonna keep saying it: the level of dumb is staggeringly impressive.

The amount of "Christians" doing mental gymnastics to defend this man is appalling. They haven't read Jesus' words lately, I guess.
    stunned, stunned i tell ya.

Nope. Anyone OK with it IS racist.
    this is why i find everyday with some people so hard once i find out they voted for him.

they literally decided "i'm ok with racism".

i work with someone who voted for him and it makes everyday conversations difficult and yet it explains so much about them. this person lets small amounts of racism drop out at least once or twice a week.

Corporate tax breaks. That's all they care about. Screw the people.
    people say they vote GOP for the economy and national security. that in itself tells you all you need to know. those are the biggest reasons why you do not ever vote GOP in the 21st century - or even during the end of the 20th century.

Thread Information