+ Reply to Thread
Page 1014 of 1014 FirstFirst ... 14 514 914 964 1004 1011 1012 1013 1014
Results 25,326 to 25,350 of 25350

Re: President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I think it was Froot Loops they were calling Howard
    yes, but he wanted them to call him "rocket man". That's why I made the reference. Remember he changed his ringtone to go off when he was skyping Mike Massamino?

I'm just trying to lighten up the mood.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball - Evil Empire

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    yes, but he wanted them to call him rocket man. Remember he changed his ringtone to go off when he was skyping Mike Massamino?

I'm just trying to lighten up the mood.
    I know. That's why I put the cute little thingy.

Still seems like an overly aggressive statement for the POTUS to make concerning NK in front of the UN. - With or without the little dig at their leader.

Do you agree?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    I love a parade.
    that rat-a tat-tat
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar

If it's just soldiers that's fine.

I reject the showing of firepower in the form of missles and bombs. If that's what he plans I am not in favor. That does give me an image of evil from our past.

I think we agree.

I only said I hope it's a joke because I really don't like the idea and I wanted it to be one.
    I strongly disagree with the showing of firepower, since I don't believe that one's enemies need to have proof demonstrated that one is powerful.

We are SUPPOSEDLY the world's only superpower. Unfortunately, the former USSR and China (or whichever countries constitute "China") already have superpower status.

I haven't heard of a single report that NK's missiles could reach the US of A in one piece, so I don't care what warhead he puts on it, he couldn't fire those from NK and reach us. Therefore, less of an incentive to prove.

If we did get into a military battle royale, it's NATO vs NK + the former USSR. I'm not sure how independent China would be on this.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Bad enough we get these 7th grade insults in his tweets but can we please leave out the juvenile "rocket man" digs in a UN address with the world watching?
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Sooooo....Trump's UN speech. Does anyone take issue with Trump threatening to wipe a country of 25 million people off the map or are you just writing it off as Trump bluster?
    He would need nukes to wipe that country off the map. Seeing how much money they pay to China, and likely to the former USSR, which I believe would be their source for nukes, I don't believe it would be one single country that we'd be at war with.

Kind of like kicking a pack dog. You do this and all his/her friends come charging in to defend him/her.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    that rat-a tat-tat
    Or mebbe oom-pah-oom-pah-oom-pah-pah?

Here's a nice parade idea:

http://cafechatelaine.blogspot.com/2...toberfest.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    What is the rationale for threatening Venezuela? Attacking a country that's self destructing seems like kind of a random, non-helpful reaction. It WOULD accomplish making the rest of South America openly hostile towards us, though, so there's that.

Also, do military parades not remind anyone of Kim Jong Un, the USSR, and Hitler?
    To come in like John Wayne, and acting like he can level the playing field of lesser (or less powerful) countries.

I know. That's why I put the cute little thingy.

Still seems like an overly aggressive statement for the POTUS to make concerning NK in front of the UN. - With or without the little dig at their leader.

Do you agree?
    I think it's a risk calling him names for sure. But it's consistent with what he's already done many times already.

Just to clarify, I haven't seen his speech today yet. I will check it out later. I'd rather have some context here by actually watching it.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball - Evil Empire

I've been to cadet parades at West Point and it blows me away every time.
    I've participated in entirely too many cadet parades at the more modern Service Academy to the West. Always seemed a waste of time. However, I sure did appreciate the few folks who'd come out and watch, and I have little doubt my West Point counterparts feel the same way. So thanks.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    I've participated in entirely too many cadet parades at the more modern Service Academy to the West. Always seemed a waste of time. However, I sure did appreciate the few folks who'd come out and watch, and I have little doubt my West Point counterparts feel the same way. So thanks.
    Years ago I took my Cub Scout pack to see a cadet parade. Next spring I'm going to see one of them march at his academy graduation. I'm nearly as proud as his mother.

NYYF Legend

Trump threatened to pull out of the Iran deal today. Does he realize doimg so will not nullify the deal? All it means is we are out. France already said they will remain so as far as Iran is concerned not sure what their loss would be.
    SJW - bad attempt at insulting people that care about other's rights and not just their own.

Years ago I took my Cub Scout pack to see a cadet parade. Next spring I'm going to see one of them march at his academy graduation. I'm nearly as proud as his mother.
    You're likely aware that I've been a Scout Leader for 20+ years. Several years ago, I promoted a young man to Eagle Scout, just before he and his family moved out of town. Several years later, he's back in Colorado as an Air Force Cadet, and like your Cub Scout, will graduate next May. He stops by my tailgate before all the football games to say hello (and mooch food).

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Trump threatened to pull out of the Iran deal today. Does he realize doimg so will not nullify the deal? All it means is we are out. France already said they will remain so as far as Iran is concerned not sure what their loss would be.
    Also, won't we still owe them the money we already owed them?

Sooooo....Trump's UN speech. Does anyone take issue with Trump threatening to wipe a country of 25 million people off the map or are you just writing it off as Trump bluster?
    I was simply appalled 1) that he would use the phrase "totally destroy North Korea" at all and 2) that he would use it in an address to the UN General Assembly. It was bad style, and bad politics. I'll criticize people on this board for defining up* some halfway stupid things he has said into scandals that aren't really there, but there is no defense for this bonehead move. If this thing was vetted, I can't believe his team let him do it. What has the image of this country outside the US sunk to? And do any of those bozos in the White House care? And "Rocket-Man"? Should be a bannable offense at the UN.

I have a 1970s vintage Poli. Sci. degree, and we spent a lot of time analyzing nuclear brinkmanship and diplomatic and other strategies for dealing with it. This one would have gained a quick red "F".

*neologism invented here in this post
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Also, won't we still owe them the money we already owed them?
    Yes as it is their money.
    SJW - bad attempt at insulting people that care about other's rights and not just their own.

Not only that - which is an excellent point - but even if he wants to withdraw, it couldn't go into effect for 3+ years due to legal requirements of the treaty. This would leave the whole situation on the doorstep of the next administration, who could reverse the. Decision almost immediately.

So it's basically just bluster.

But it's unbelievably stupid bluster because it's a multi-lateral deal, meaning that it would remain in effect with all the other signatories. By calling it the worst deal ever entered into by the US, he was insulting almost everyone in the room because they all entered into it as well. Diplomacy is not this man's forte.

I'm betting on a lot of smoke and no fire. Not unlike the Clinton dog and pony show with Starr. A lot of money for little result.

What I'm hoping from it is enough swaying of public opinion so he loses the 2020 election.
    I'll take that bet while noting that the Clinton special prosecutor did achieve his goal, which was to make the case for impeachment. Once it got to the Senate, it was a different game.

What's different than either the Nixon or Clinto investigations is that wiretaps were not used in those cases and subpoenas have been used in ways that were not used in those cases either. This investigation is much more high powered. Furthermore, the basic "crime" in those cases was minor by comparison with what's at stake here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Not only that - which is an excellent point - but even if he wants to withdraw, it couldn't go into effect for 3+ years due to legal requirements of the treaty. This would leave the whole situation on the doorstep of the next administration, who could reverse the. Decision almost immediately.

So it's basically just bluster.

But it's unbelievably stupid bluster because it's a multi-lateral deal, meaning that it would remain in effect with all the other signatories. By calling it the worst deal ever entered into by the US, he was insulting almost everyone in the room because they all entered into it as well. Diplomacy is not this man's forte.
    I'm not very well versed on this topic but the way I understand it, if the US withdraws, it sounds like Trump intends to try to reinstate sanctions and that would be a violation that would unravel the entire thing.

Is his objection the sunset portion of the deal or that it didn't go far enough in only banning the nuclear program? Or both? Either way, if they are in compliance, and it sounds like they are, the US pulling out makes us look like we can't be trusted.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    I'll take that bet while noting that the Clinton special prosecutor did achieve his goal, which was to make the case for impeachment. Once it got to the Senate, it was a different game.

What's different than either the Nixon or Clinto investigations is that wiretaps were not used in those cases and subpoenas have been used in ways that were not used in those cases either. This investigation is much more high powered. Furthermore, the basic "crime" in those cases was minor by comparison with what's at stake here.
    It's a bet I'd be happy to lose. I just don't see it leading to the type of results you and I would probably like to see.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/19/trum...&ICID=ref_fark

Well one bit of good news on the Russian probe, Donald is using campaign contributions to pay for legal defense.
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    I was simply appalled 1) that he would use the phrase "totally destroy North Korea" at all and 2) that he would use it in an address to the UN General Assembly. It was bad style, and bad politics.
    Someone agrees with you.

Leotardo. That's my f***in' legacy... No more, Butchie. No more of this.

NYYF Legend

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...ards-attacking

Turkish PM states Trump called to apologize for the faces of American protesters assaulting the fists of the Turkish bodyguards during the US visit

NYYF Legend

I do also. I had to march in many when I was in the Fire Department. I hated it.

I don't go to any parades. Even if the Yankees or Rangers were to win championships, I don't go. Never understood the concept.
    You were a fire man? That department probably saved a lot of dough by not needing ladders.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    I was simply appalled 1) that he would use the phrase "totally destroy North Korea" at all and 2) that he would use it in an address to the UN General Assembly. It was bad style, and bad politics. I'll criticize people on this board for defining up* some halfway stupid things he has said into scandals that aren't really there, but there is no defense for this bonehead move. If this thing was vetted, I can't believe his team let him do it. What has the image of this country outside the US sunk to? And do any of those bozos in the White House care? And "Rocket-Man"? Should be a bannable offense at the UN.

I have a 1970s vintage Poli. Sci. degree, and we spent a lot of time analyzing nuclear brinkmanship and diplomatic and other strategies for dealing with it. This one would have gained a quick red "F".

*neologism invented here in this post
    I have a few far simpler viewpoints:

Don't throw a match into a room where a nut job (in NK) holds a can of gasoline, lots of newspapers and greasy cloths. I'm not sure what the solution is, but waiting seems to have worked so far, at least as far as avoiding military conflict.

Trunp's ego in that speech seems of the "my Dad can beat up your Dad" variety. His only omission was to completely annihilate and sink North Korea into the sea, which seems along those blusterous lines.

Now two of the most hot-headed idiots in power that the world has ever known, will threaten to bring many young men and women into senseless combat. All this over a pissing contest, which Trump definitely refuses to back down from unless he's declared the winner.

Thread Information