+ Reply to Thread
Page 1864 of 1873 FirstFirst ... 864 1364 1764 1814 1854 1861 1862 1863 1864 1865 1866 1867 ... LastLast
Results 46,576 to 46,600 of 46825
    NYYF Legend

Re: President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I think he also wanted to privatize the VA among other government entities.
    Pretty sure he wanted to privatize everything he possibly could.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    They are. Sort of the same effect "we'll just force rich people to pay for it" has on so many in our community.
    A year to year balanced budget sounds nice but just like buying a house without going into debt is impossible for most people it's also difficult to balance costs and revenues when they are tied to a 20 Trillion a year economy that tends to go through cycles that are not easy to predict.
    Baseball is life;

They are. Sort of the same effect "we'll just force rich people to pay for it" has on so many in our community.
    It's not the "we'll just force rich people to pay for it" that has the effect on people. It's the part where we reduce income inequality and make sure that the populace is provided all the basic human needs that gets us excited.
    Take car. Go to Mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

They should.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...e-wealthy.html

For the first time on record, the 400 wealthiest Americans last year paid a lower total tax rate — spanning federal, state and local taxes — than any other income group, according to newly released data.
    By the middle of the 20th century, the high-tax advocates had prevailed. The United States had arguably the world’s most progressive tax code, with a top income-tax rate of 91 percent and a corporate tax rate above 50 percent.

But the second half of the 20th century was mostly a victory for the low-tax side. Companies found ways to take more deductions and dodge taxes. Politicians cut every tax that fell heavily on the wealthy: high-end income taxes, investment taxes, the estate tax and the corporate tax. The justification for doing so was usually that the economy as a whole would benefit.

The justification turned out to be wrong. The wealthy, and only the wealthy, have done fantastically well over the last several decades. G.D.P. growth has been disappointing, and middle-class income growth even worse.

The American economy just doesn’t function very well when tax rates on the rich are low and inequality is sky high. It was true in the lead-up to the Great Depression, and it’s been true recently. Which means that raising high-end taxes isn’t about punishing the rich (who, by the way, will still be rich). It’s about creating an economy that works better for the vast majority of Americans.

In their book, Saez and Zucman sketch out a modern progressive tax code. The overall tax rate on the richest 1 percent would roughly double, to about 60 percent. The tax increases would bring in about $750 billion a year, or 4 percent of G.D.P., enough to pay for universal pre-K, an infrastructure program, medical research, clean energy and more. Those are the kinds of policies that do lift economic growth.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

https://civiqs.com/results/trump_imp...ampaign=ticker

Impeaching Trump now enjoys majority support in: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DE, HI, IL, ME, MD, MA, MI, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OR, RI, VT, VA, WA & WI.

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    It's not the "we'll just force rich people to pay for it" that has the effect on people. It's the part where we reduce income inequality and make sure that the populace is provided all the basic human needs that gets us excited.
    So, free food? Free shelter? Free utilities? Cool. Is there a web site or something where I need to sign up?

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

So, free food? Free shelter? Free utilities? Cool. Is there a web site or something where I need to sign up?
    What you need is to be lacking food, shelter and utilities. If you really want to do that in order to get the minimum for free, Maynerd, be my guest. Fact is, people don't go without because it's fun.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Trump, the Great and Powerful, promised to watch carefully and destroy the Economy of Turkey if they crossed any lines.

Or maybe not:
    “The United States does not endorse this attack and has made it clear to Turkey that this operation is a bad idea,” Mr. Trump said in a statement released by the White House.
    Man, Erdogan must be scared to death right about now.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    What you need is to be lacking food, shelter and utilities. If you really want to do that in order to get the minimum for free, Maynerd, be my guest. Fact is, people don't go without because it's fun.
    I thought we were also reducing income inequality. So, if we do THAT, and ALSO provide the populace with all basic human needs, I should be included, no?

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Matter of opinion. An ideal candidate? No. But if a two-term state governor is unqualified, how can almost ANY of the current candidates be considered qualified? Patently untrue. My vote for Johnson had absolutely no effect on the eventual outcome. A vote for Johnson was not a vote for Trump. It was a vote for Johnson.

See the bolded, above.
    He didn't know what or where Aleppo was.

Voting for third parties helped Trump.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

NYYF Legend

I thought we were also reducing income inequality. So, if we do THAT, and ALSO provide the populace with all basic human needs, I should be included, no?
    Sure if you become unable to provide those for yourself, absolutely I'd prefer you be included rather than live homeless on the streets not knowing where your next meal will come from.
    Baseball is life;

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

I frequently tell students that not working hard in school will bring great benefits such as homelessness, hunger and a lack of access to healthcare.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    That or you really like the private prison system or you just wanted to vote for someone who said he would cut taxes.
    I think legal weed was Maynerd's biggest motivator.

WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE RICH!

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Sure if you become unable to provide those for yourself, absolutely I'd prefer you be included rather than live homeless on the streets not knowing where your next meal will come from.
    But Tex said we were going to provide ALL the basic human needs to the populace. Now, we're only providing minimal needs to the indigent? Seems the goals posts have moved. Why don't we just provide everything to everyone? We seem to be leaning in that direction for healthcare and college. Why not food and shelter?

There are still incomes to be taxed and wealth to be redistributed. What's the hold up?

- President Barack Obama

What?

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    Nah. I have a security clearance. Just because it's legal in Colorado doesn't mean it's OK.

- President Barack Obama

But Tex said we were going to provide ALL the basic human needs to the populace. Now, we're only providing minimal needs to the indigent? Seems the goals posts have moved. Why don't we just provide everything to everyone? We seem to be leaning in that direction for healthcare and college. Why not food and shelter?

There are still incomes to be taxed and wealth to be redistributed. What's the hold up?
    What?

What?
    I dunno. Tex said..." It's the part where we reduce income inequality and make sure that the populace is provided all the basic human needs that gets us excited." That, to me, indicates that it's not about taxing the rich, it's about providing for the needs of the populace. I'm hardly rich, so I'm thinking some of that income redistribution ought to be coming my way. Groceries and mortgage would be a great start. Basic human needs, and all that.

- President Barack Obama

Hope is eternal

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post

WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE RICH!
    By design, in 2018 the billionaire class paid a lower effective tax rate than the working class. First time in history.
    The sky is falling! We are doomed!

NYYF Legend

Yep Cadillacs, mansions, fillet minion and an Obamaphone for all!!!!!!!!!! That's exactly what Maynard thinks this will lead to.

The point is no one should have to go homeless, starve because they can't afford food, or skip needed medical attention because they can't pay.

I'm not sure why you are always so obtuse on this relatively simple concept.
    Baseball is life;

I dunno. Tex said..." It's the part where we reduce income inequality and make sure that the populace is provided all the basic human needs that gets us excited." That, to me, indicates that it's not about taxing the rich, it's about providing for the needs of the populace. I'm hardly rich, so I'm thinking some of that income redistribution ought to be coming my way. Groceries and mortgage would be a great start. Basic human needs, and all that.
    Why do you derive so much pleasure out of knowing there are people without food, shelter, healthcare?
    Take car. Go to Mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

Hope is eternal

Why do you derive so much pleasure out of knowing there are people without food, shelter, healthcare?
    That is the goal of most conservatives

Hope is eternal

https://www.axios.com/trump-isis-esc...mpaign=organic

When Trump was asked about ISIS prisoners escaping he said they would be escaping to Europe. This is how twisted his mind is.

I don't. Not in the slightest.

I'm fully supportive of getting people jobs, and if they're incapable of working (for whatever reason), providing such needs. But, I'm unwilling to hand money to the guy at the freeway off ramp that I see every day. Call me a Grinch, but I'm not convinced that money is going to basic human needs. And, if that handout comes via tax dollars, shame on all of us.

In my community, there are hundreds of beds in shelters that go unused every night (unless it's snowing). Why? Because there are rules against drinking and smoking. Makes me less sympathetic about 'people without shelter.' I regularly provide food to a local charity that feeds those who can't feed themselves. I provide money to charities that deal with mental health issues among the homeless. I care about them. I just don't trust the government to be the arbiter of who gives how much to whom.

Before Obamacare was ever passed, I observed that the indigent were going to Emergency Rooms for basic health care, and then skipping out on the bill, and that providing insurance COVERAGE for those people would be ineffective, because they were going to unwilling or unable to pay the cost share associated with medical insurance. My point has been that mandatory insurance coverage does not provide affordable or accessible health care to anyone, and would be completely ineffective at its stated goal. I don't see any evidence that I was wrong. So, it's not that I was trying to deny care to anyone. It was my observation that the proposed solution would not, and could not, correct the problem.

I'm all for creating solutions to these problems. Taxing wealthy people to provide free everything to everyone else is NOT a solution.

- President Barack Obama

I don't. Not in the slightest.

I'm fully supportive of getting people jobs, and if they're incapable of working (for whatever reason), providing such needs. But, I'm unwilling to hand money to the guy at the freeway off ramp that I see every day. Call me a Grinch, but I'm not convinced that money is going to basic human needs. And, if that handout comes via tax dollars, shame on all of us.

In my community, there are hundreds of beds in shelters that go unused every night (unless it's snowing). Why? Because there are rules against drinking and smoking. Makes me less sympathetic about 'people without shelter.' I regularly provide food to a local charity that feeds those who can't feed themselves. I provide money to charities that deal with mental health issues among the homeless. I care about them. I just don't trust the government to be the arbiter of who gives how much to whom.

Before Obamacare was ever passed, I observed that the indigent were going to Emergency Rooms for basic health care, and then skipping out on the bill, and that providing insurance COVERAGE for those people would be ineffective, because they were going to unwilling or unable to pay the cost share associated with medical insurance. My point has been that mandatory insurance coverage does not provide affordable or accessible health care to anyone, and would be completely ineffective at its stated goal. I don't see any evidence that I was wrong. So, it's not that I was trying to deny care to anyone. It was my observation that the proposed solution would not, and could not, correct the problem.

I'm all for creating solutions to these problems. Taxing wealthy people to provide free everything to everyone else is NOT a solution.
    Grinch

Thread Information