+ Reply to Thread
Page 1288 of 1413 FirstFirst ... 288 788 1188 1238 1278 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1298 1338 1388 ... LastLast
Results 32,176 to 32,200 of 35309
    NYYF Legend

Re: President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Rand Paul is doing his usual grandstand, suggesting he’ll oppose Pompeo.
    Threatening a possible filibuster too. I’m sure Trump will blame the Democrats for it as well if Paul does filibuster.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Threatening a possible filibuster too. I’m sure Trump will blame the Democrats for it as well if Paul does filibuster.
    I’m guessing he’ll neither filibuster, nor cast an opposing vote.

NYYF Legend

I’m guessing he’ll neither filibuster, nor cast an opposing vote.
    That seems most likely to happen.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nch/422531002/

Trump proposes a “Space Force”.

Hey Pence, Fire the photon torpedo

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post

Here is Trump speaking to one of his Space Captains

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ZOrzbCueVDI/maxresdefault.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by DEADSOX
    We won, stop bitching. Bitches.
    This Administration reminds me of Reservoir Dogs...Evil white guys in suits, few roles for women and Mr. Orange lies through the whole thing.

Typical Donald thinking. The purpose of space exploration is war.

I spent the last 3 years of my Air Force career in AF Space Command. I was one of relatively few pilots who worked there. Trust me, career Space Guys have been clamoring for an independent Service for decades now. They feel like step-children to the air-breathing Air Force.

These are the guys maneuvering our satellites, conducting space control (think along the lines of air traffic control in space), space surveillance, and missile warning. So there's definitely a military mission in space.

Now, is the Space career field big enough to warrant a whole new uniformed service? I don't think so (and neither does the Secretary of the Air Force, who currently owns those assets). But, they almost certainly said that in 1947, when they pulled the Air Corps out of the Army, and made them an independent service.

So, I don't think it's a good idea, and the whole discussion was likely the President speaking without absorbing any facts or recommendations, but the concept is not the least bit far-fetched.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    I spent the last 3 years of my Air Force career in AF Space Command. I was one of relatively few pilots who worked there. Trust me, career Space Guys have been clamoring for an independent Service for decades now. They feel like step-children to the air-breathing Air Force.

These are the guys maneuvering our satellites, conducting space control (think along the lines of air traffic control in space), space surveillance, and missile warning. So there's definitely a military mission in space.

Now, is the Space career field big enough to warrant a whole new uniformed service? I don't think so (and neither does the Secretary of the Air Force, who currently owns those assets). But, they almost certainly said that in 1947, when they pulled the Air Corps out of the Army, and made them an independent service.

So, I don't think it's a good idea, and the whole discussion was likely the President speaking without absorbing any facts or recommendations, but the concept is not the least bit far-fetched.
    I think it should be set up with a sunset provision. Give them a five-year mission to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I think it should be set up with a sunset provision. Give them a five-year mission to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.
    They'd need their own service academy as well, of course. Wonder what they might call it. I'd think the San Francisco area would be a good location.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    They'd need their own service academy as well, of course. Wonder what they might call it. I'd think the San Francisco area would be a good location.
    Fitting, I hear back in 1986 there were rumors of some kind of space ship landing there. Some Russian kept asking everyone where the nuclear wessels were.

Fitting, I hear back in 1986 there were rumors of some kind of space ship landing there. Some Russian kept asking everyone where the nuclear wessels were.
    awesome reference
    In Cashman I trust.
    Players come and go, flags fly forever.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    awesome reference
    Big Trek fan!

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Her kids don’t even work. Why should they get tax breaks?
    Pathetic.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Big Trek fan!
    I figured. Only a Trekkie would know that line enough to quote it
    In Cashman I trust.
    Players come and go, flags fly forever.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I figured. Only a Trekkie would know that line enough to quote it
    I am glad someone caught my reference!

Her kids don’t even work. Why should they get tax breaks?
    They're needy but really cute (and brilliant), and they'll choose my nursing home someday. Please give them tax breaks.

NYYF Legend

I am glad someone caught my reference!
    I got it too. “I think their in Alameda”
    Baseball is life;

https://amp.businessinsider.com/whit...ronment-2018-3

The mood inside the White House is the worst it's ever been, with staffers calling it 'the most toxic working environment on the planet'

The White House is being called "the most toxic working environment on the planet" by some staffers as rumors of another wave of firings have circulated, Axios reported Wednesday.

"Usually tough times bring people together," a White House official told Axios. "But right now this atmosphere is ripping people apart.

"There's no leadership, no trust, no direction and at this point there's very little hope," the official continued. "Would you want to go to work every day not knowing whether your future career was going to be destroyed without explanation?"

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post

The mood inside the White House is the worst it's ever been, with staffers calling it 'the most toxic working environment on the planet'
    Yeah, we keep hearing that crap and they still stay and work there. I have no sympathy for any of them.
    God, I love Yankee fans as they're never satisfied!

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post

People wanted to know what it would look like if corporate America governed us directly instead of just having influence via money. Now we know. So much for the myth of the captain of industry CEO.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Bernard View Post
    People wanted to know what it would look like if corporate America governed us directly instead of just having influence via money. Now we know. So much for the myth of the captain of industry CEO.
    Trump’s deceitful incompetence is staggering.

President Trump boasted in a fundraising speech Wednesday that he made up information in a meeting with the leader of a top U.S. ally, saying he insisted to Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau that the United States runs a trade deficit with its neighbor to the north without knowing whether that was the case.
    “Trudeau came to see me. He’s a good guy, Justin. He said, ‘No, no, we have no trade deficit with you, we have none. Donald, please,’ ” Trump said, mimicking Trudeau, according to audio of the private event in Missouri obtained by The Washington Post. “Nice guy, good-looking guy, comes in — ‘Donald, we have no trade deficit.’ He’s very proud because everybody else, you know, we’re getting killed.

“ ... So, he’s proud. I said, ‘Wrong, Justin, you do.’ I didn’t even know. ... I had no idea. I just said, ‘You’re wrong.’ You know why? Because we’re so stupid. … And I thought they were smart. I said, ‘You’re wrong, Justin.’ He said, ‘Nope, we have no trade deficit.’ I said, ‘Well, in that case, I feel differently,’ I said, ‘but I don’t believe it.’ I sent one of our guys out, his guy, my guy, they went out, I said, ‘Check, because I can’t believe it.’
    ‘Well, sir, you’re actually right. We have no deficit, but that doesn’t include energy and timber. … And when you do, we lose $17 billion a year.’ It’s incredible.”

The Office of the United States Trade Representative says the United States has a trade surplus with Canada.
    He also seemed to threaten to pull U.S. troops stationed in South Korea if he didn’t get what he wanted on trade with Seoul, an ally. He said that the country had gotten rich but that U.S. politicians never negotiated better deals. “We have a very big trade deficit with them, and we protect them,” Trump said. “We lose money on trade, and we lose money on the military. We have right now 32,000 soldiers on the border between North and South Korea. Let’s see what happens.”
    South Korea was taking advantage of outdated trade rules even though its economy was strong and said China had single-handedly rebuilt itself on the back of its trade surplus with the United States.

“It’s the bowling ball test. They take a bowling ball from 20 feet up in the air and drop it on the hood of the car,” Trump said of Japan. “If the hood dents, the car doesn’t qualify. It’s horrible,” he said. It was unclear what he was talking about.
    Think about being one of the donor class listening to this meandering poop gibbon and wonder where your loyalties would be.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Rand Paul is doing his usual grandstand, suggesting he’ll oppose Pompeo.
    Only takes two to oppose, or one if Chocran and/or McCain aren't around.

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Trump’s deceitful incompetence is staggering.

Think about being one of the donor class listening to this meandering poop gibbon and wonder where your loyalties would be.
    This is.... yikes.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.5586976662fd

So when he said he will hire the "best people" he just meant the people who will kiss his ass and agree with him no matter what.

It was the eve of the biggest economic collapse since the Great Depression. Many on Wall Street worried that a recession loomed and that the housing bubble was bursting.

And then there was Larry Kudlow, the man President Trump just tapped to be his top economic adviser.

“Despite all the doom and gloom from the economic pessimistas, the resilient U.S. economy continues moving ahead,” Kudlow wrote on Dec. 7, 2007, in National Review, predicting that gloomy forecasters would “wind up with egg on their faces.” Kudlow, who previously derided as “bubbleheads” those who warned about a housing bubble, now wrote that “very positive” news in housing should “cushion” falling home sales and prices.

“There’s no recession coming. The pessimistas were wrong. It’s not going to happen,” wrote Kudlow. “ . . . The Bush boom is alive and well. It’s finishing up its sixth consecutive year with more to come. Yes, it’s still the greatest story never told.”
    Even a stopped clock is right twice a day, they say. But Kudlow’s misfires just keep coming, as Chait documented.

1993: Kudlow proclaims in a speech: “There is no question that President Clinton’s across-the-board tax increases on labor, capital and energy will throw a wet blanket over the recovery and depress the economy’s long-run potential.” The economy goes into an eight-year expansion and adds 21 million jobs.

2001: Kudlow writes in National Review about the George W. Bush tax cuts: “Faster economic growth and more profitable productivity returns will generate higher tax revenues at the new lower tax-rate levels. Future budget surpluses will rise, not fall.” Tax revenue falls, and the budget goes from surplus into deep deficits.

2002: Kudlow, arguing for war in Iraq, writes in National Review: “The shock therapy of decisive war will elevate the stock market by a couple-thousand points.” The market falls and the Dow Jones doesn’t get that couple-thousand-point elevation for years.

2009: Kudlow says in an interview: “President Obama is waging war on investors. He’s waging war against businesses.” In a piece in the Washington Times he warns that inflation could “ratchet higher.” The stock market and corporate profits climb to records, while inflation remains historically low.

Now, history is repeating itself. Writing in National Review in December, Kudlow embraced the Trump tax cuts, dismissed “dreary mainstream” forecasts and predicted annual growth as high as 5 percent. Echoing almost word for word his failed 2002 prediction, he forecast that “faster economic growth will generate much higher tax revenues.”

What could possibly go wrong?

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    David Roberts (Vox) lays out the problems the NYT has in echoing the views of today’s Republicans.

https://twitter.com/drvox/status/972...032888832?s=21

It’s a must read.
    If I understand him, he’s suggesting that the Times give space to Dana Loesch or Dinesh D'Souza precisely because they’re intellectually lazy and incoherent?
    They've already taken the intellectually lazy path with Bret Stephens.
    And Ross Douthat, and David Brooks. But it’s not like Maureen Dowd is some kind of rigorous intellectual giant. And if Bret Stephens is a liberal's idea of a conservative, as he suggests, then Thomas Friedman and Roger Cohen are certainly a conservative's idea of a liberal. Krugman is legit, and Gail Collins is clever, at least.
    Here’s the article that Roberts was leading up to with that tweetstorm.

Some notable excerpts:
    These writers are, to a (wo)man, alienated from the animating force in US conservatism, which is Trumpism. They command no divisions. They have nothing to do with what is going on in American politics today.

They might serve the purpose of challenging liberal thinking, but they do not serve the purpose of exposing NYT readers to the people and the movement from which they are allegedly alienated.

If Bennet wants to do that, he needs to be clear-eyed about what the right is today.
    So what motivates this swell of right-wing support for Trump? At this point, though many people on all sides still refuse to acknowledge it, the evidence is overwhelming: It was cultural backlash, against immigrants, minorities, uppity women, liberals, and all the other forces seen as dislodging traditional white men from their centrality in American culture.
    What’s happening in the US today is not a contest of governing philosophies. Trump doesn’t have one, and his administration barely tries to pretend it does. It’s not a philosophy or a plan that won — it was a team, a tribe. They are living it up, rewarding their friends and rat***king everything the other team did before them.

More broadly, what’s going on in American politics is a contest between those who believe America is an idea and those who believe America is a people, a particular culture — white, Christian, and patriarchal. Trump represents those who want that culture restored to primacy.

How can the NYT opinion page expose its readers to that?
    Here is the scary truth that NYT editors and readers alike resist: US politics today is not a contest of ideas or governing philosophies. We are witnessing a massive revanchist upheaval — against bourgeois morality and standards of conduct, against changing demographics and economies, against assumptions about governance and respect for norms, against the status quo — by a culture that is stagnating even as the country changes around it, which it experiences as a loss of dignity and prestige.
    When the Times opinion page pretends that conservatism is David Brooks or Bret Stephens when it maintains the comforting illusion that American politics is a contest of ideas, it is not exposing its readers to uncomfortable truths — it is sheltering them.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Thread Information