+ Reply to Thread
Page 1368 of 1552 FirstFirst ... 368 868 1268 1318 1358 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1378 1418 1468 ... LastLast
Results 34,176 to 34,200 of 38789
    Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Re: President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Around 1970-1972, every high school band had that in its repertoire. Every. Single. One. Sometimes it was their entire repertoire, but you couldn’t have a band without it.
    Curious as to if / when bands picked up on The Who’s 5:15.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    it's my unscientific observation that The Who don't get covered all that much for some reason. At least not in comparison to, say, the Stones or the Beatles.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    it's my unscientific observation that The Who don't get covered all that much for some reason. At least not in comparison to, say, the Stones or the Beatles.
    And when they do get covered, it seems like it's very poorly done versions of Baba O'Reilly, Won't Get Fooled Again, or My Generation.
    Forget the myths the media's created about the White House. The truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Pearl Jam has many good live Who covers over the years.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Sooooo nothing about the "leader" of the free world saying on camera "immigrants are not people. They're animals." ?

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Certainly not before late 1973.

5:15 is all piano and horns - what’s a high school band supposed to do with that? Jumpin' Jack Flash is a guitar anthem and, more important, consists almost entirely of one riff repeated over and over. Learn that one progression, crank up the volume on the amps, and shout into the mic. The ideal song for a high school band.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Sooooo nothing about the "leader" of the free world saying on camera "immigrants are not people. They're animals." ?
    From CNN's own description:

"White House press secretary Sarah Sanders responds to a question about President Trump's recent remark referring to undocumented gang members of MS-13 "animals."

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...sponse-sot.cnn

Clap clap, clap-clap-clap ArodEra's Avatar

Yeah, I’d say there’s a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post

"White House press secretary Sarah Sanders responds to a question about President Trump's recent remark referring to undocumented gang members of MS-13 "animals."

I don't think it's that simple.

https://www.vox.com/2018/5/16/173628...-ms-13-illegal

But either way, do you think it's okay to for him to refer to any immigrants as animals?
    Forget the myths the media's created about the White House. The truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand.

AND....I agree with this 100%.

thread: https://twitter.com/normative/status/997109972440899590

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post

But that’s not really true. Sheriff Mims was saying that she’s not able to allow ICE into her jails or to otherwise cooperate "unless they reach a certain threshold" - that is, a certain level of criminality. She posed it as a general observation about the relationship between ICE and local la enforcement, contrasting it with other law enforcement agencies. She didn’t mention MS-13 at all until her followup, when she said, "There could be an MS-13 member I know about — if they don’t reach a certain threshold, I cannot tell ICE about it." Her question as a whole was not about MS-13 or gang members - in fact, it was specifically about people who are not arrested for serious crimes.

Trump's answer did not reference gangs at all. MS-13 was really peripheral to the whole exchange.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Then again, maybe the FBI are really just big fans of Whoopi Goldberg?

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Certainly not before late 1973.

5:15 is all piano and horns - what’s a high school band supposed to do with that? Jumpin' Jack Flash is a guitar anthem and, more important, consists almost entirely of one riff repeated over and over. Learn that one progression, crank up the volume on the amps, and shout into the mic. The ideal song for a high school band.
    Sorry - when you said high school band, I thought you were referring to a HS marching band (halftime shows) and not garage bands. Though if I were 10 years older than I am (I was in bands circa 82-88), I'd have been pushing for the swamp jams out of Creedence Clearwater Revival)..

Interestingly enough, Jumping Jack Flash was released as a single without being part of any LP (though it was added to numerous compilation LPs since)...
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    And when they do get covered, it seems like it's very poorly done versions of Baba O'Reilly, Won't Get Fooled Again, or My Generation.
    I love Eddie Cochran's cover of "Summertime Blues."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...iv-hpv-n875286

The Microsoft founder was recorded addressing staff at a recent meeting of his charitable Gates Foundation where he talked about meeting Trump.

In the video, which aired Thursday night on "All In With Chris Hayes," Gates explained that he had never met the president before the election but that his 22-year-old daughter had previously encountered him at an event in Florida.

“There was a thing where he and I were at the same place before the election and I avoided him,” Gates told his co-workers. “Then he got elected. So then I went to see him in December.

"He knew my daughter, Jennifer, because Trump has this horse show thing down in Florida. He went up and talked to Jen and was being super nice. And then around 20 minutes later he flew in on a helicopter to the same place. So clearly he had been driven away and he wanted to make a grand entrance on a helicopter.

“Anyway, so when I first talked to him it was actually kind of scary how much he knew about my daughter's appearance. [Gates’ wife] Melinda did not like that too well.”
    “In both of those two meetings he asked me if vaccines weren't a bad thing because he was considering a commission to look into ill-effects of vaccines,” Gates said. “And somebody, Robert Kennedy Jr., was advising him that vaccines were causing bad things and I said, ‘No, that is a dead end, that would be a bad thing, do not do that.’”

There were laughs and groans from the audience after Gates added: “Both times he wanted to know the difference between HIV and HPV and so I was able to explain that those are things that are rarely confused with each other.”

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Rudy is the gift that keeps on giving.

https://youtu.be/7xOJ48JdNK8?t=24m9s

I’ve never seen a guest trying to talk over a video clip showing they’re lying. But Rudy gave it a shot.

NYYF Legend

I’ve never seen a guest trying to talk over a video clip showing they’re lying. But Rudy gave it a shot.

Rudy was appointed as trumps lawyer on April 19th and bombasticly proclaimed that he was going to put a stop to the Mueller investigation within two weeks. Well it is 4 weeks later and the investigation keeps rolling on.

Rudy is proving to be as big a liar as trump and just as ineffectively boastful.

I no longer have even a modicum of respect for the man

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

That was really funny.

I like how Rudy kept saying it wasn't fair to hit him with a clip of his own words.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Well..........seeing that 911 Rudy married his first cousin and had it annulled after 14 years, played around with his communications director, announced his separation at a press conference unbeknownst to his wife, then married Princess Judith, and now Princess Judith threw him the hell out........is it any wonder he's 45*'s mouthpiece lawyer?
    He still can't get over the fact that HRC would have wiped his ass in the NY Senatorial race.
    He and his boss still can't over the fact that strong, powerful, intelligent women exist in life.
    The presidency doesn't change who you are. It reveals who you are. First Lady Michelle Obama (2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    That was really funny.

I like how Rudy kept saying it wasn't fair to hit him with a clip of his own words.
    In much the same way that asking someone to tell the truth is "a perjury trap."
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    That was really funny.

i'm so glad trump has surrounded himself with all of these great people (the best people) as i was told he would.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I don't think it's that simple.

https://www.vox.com/2018/5/16/173628...-ms-13-illegal

But either way, do you think it's okay to for him to refer to any immigrants as animals?
    He was specifically speaking about MS13 members and when referring to them, I’d say “animals” is a fairly soft description of them. They are brutal psychopaths, many of them, and I don’t care if they are illegal, natural citizens or whatever. What they do to people for fun is horrible and terrifying and I say yeah, it’s perfectly fine that he said what he said. The quote was taken completely out of context, they ignored the subject and question entirely, and framed it as if he was speaking about all immigrants. I know you don’t like the way the man speaks and articulates his thoughts, I know you don’t like a single thing about him. but in this case he could have used much harsher language and it still would have been fine.

Do you care so much about his use of an adjective that you’re willing to ignore what these scumbags do to people? Remove any preconceived opinion of him, take this one instance by itself and really think about it. We all know how you feel about him, we all know where you stand with immigration. Put it aside for a moment. What did he say that wasn’t accurate? Is he wrong?
    In Cashman I trust.
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    He was specifically speaking about MS13 members and when referring to them, I’d say “animals” is a fairly soft description of them. They are brutal psychopaths, many of them, and I don’t care if they are illegal, natural citizens or whatever. What they do to people for fun is horrible and terrifying and I say yeah, it’s perfectly fine that he said what he said. The quote was taken completely out of context, they ignored the subject and question entirely, and framed it as if he was speaking about all immigrants. I know you don’t like the way the man speaks and articulates his thoughts, I know you don’t like a single thing about him. but in this case he could have used much harsher language and it still would have been fine.

Do you care so much about his use of an adjective that you’re willing to ignore what these scumbags do to people? Remove any preconceived opinion of him, take this one instance by itself and really think about it. We all know how you feel about him, we all know where you stand with immigration. Put it aside for a moment. What did he say that wasn’t accurate? Is he wrong?
    The argument that Trump’s comment was aimed at only MS-13 has been pretty solidly debunked.

Every time Trump says something racist, his supporters implore everyone to ignore his history of saying racist things because this one time he probably maybe wasn’t racist. I’m sure it’s just our bias that directs us to believe a racist with a history of being a racist said something racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post

First, stop telling me what I think. It's rude and not permitted here. If you can't do that, we'll have nothing more to talk about.

I don't agree with your interpretation. I posted an article that explained and supported my feelings. You don't agree or chose not to bother reading it. That's fine. Don't really care. I do not believe anyone should need a Trump-whisperer to know what the POTUS means. It's not about me not liking how "he way the man speaks and articulates his thoughts", it's about his inability to use the english language in a way that makes sense to everyone. His words have meaning and they have a direct affect on the very people he was elected to represent. What ever happened to he says what he means and means what he says? In addition, if he is so misunderstood, maybe he should consider not waiting two days to correct the record.

As for the calling people animals, I think it is a direct attempt to dehumanize and his rhetoric is dangerous. Yes, he is wrong. His words are harmful to all immigrants. Again explained in the article I posted. And asking me "Do you care so much about his use of an adjective that you’re willing to ignore what these scumbags do to people?" is simply offensive and unnecessary and contributes nothing to the conversation.

Just for fun, I'll post another one for you to not read that more specifically addresses the outcome he is courting.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...grants/560762/

The true peril of Trump’s comments on Wednesday is this: that the state will be further empowered to suspend human rights. Dehumanization is not just a buzzword, but a descriptor of a specific and well-known psychological and sociological process, by which people are conditioned to accept inflicting increasingly inhumane conditions and punishments on other people. Taking from the well-worn lessons of American racism, dehumanization means both a broadening of what’s acceptable and just who is unacceptable.

The dangers of that broadening were evident in another recent viral moment. In a video clip that made the rounds on social media, 42-year-old New York lawyer Aaron Schlossberg was seen ranting to a restaurant employee and customer for speaking Spanish to each other. With no evidence that anyone present was an unauthorized immigrant—or that a crime was taking place—Schlossberg threatened to call ICE against the employees and the restaurant. Given what is known about the routine processes of ICE arrest and detention, this was at best a threat of disruption, and at worst a threat of violence.

The most likely outcome of Trump’s “animals” rhetoric isn’t a return to some mythological Pax Americana, as his supporters might suggest. Quite the opposite: It could fuel more informing on neighbors, more regular harassment for people of color, a deeper and wider dragnet, and an increased acceptance of brutality and extralegal practices. That’s what happens when people stop being people.

Ok, I will stop then. Carry on.
    In Cashman I trust.
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

in Her followup, the sheriff used MS-13 in a hypothetical example: if she suspected someone of being MS-13 but the person hadn’t committed a serious crime, she couldn’t call ICE in (which is as it should be). But the question was about the relationship between local law enforcement and ICE with any detainee who's not charged with a serious crime; it wasn’t a question about MS-13.

Trump, in turn, didn’t refer to MS-13 at all.

The fact that the sheriff uttered the name "MS-13" has been used to create a false counternarrative after the fact. But that wasn’t what the exchange was about.

Thread Information