+ Reply to Thread
Page 1958 of 1960 FirstFirst ... 958 1458 1858 1908 1948 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 LastLast
Results 48,926 to 48,950 of 48980
  1. #48926

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    and

    This was brought up by someone who aligns pretty closely to both of you politically. But, glad you got a chance to rally together and support each other. Go team!
    Who cares who brought it up? The end result is the same. Trump has been pres for three years and this thread is about him but if the conversation goes long enough, it always comes back to a Clinton. It wasn't personal. Unlike most of your posts.
    Take car. Go to Mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

  2. #48927
    Not fooling anyone. Soriambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Barr's comments yesterday have been reported as him telling the president not to interfere with DOJ, trying to address morale there, sticking up for the principle of independence, and so on. I don't know - I read it, and it just sounds to me like Barr saying, "Stop worrying so much. I got this."
    And anyway, actions speak louder than words.
    -Kevin

    "My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan


    "I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

    RIP, Pete.

  3. #48928
    New Murderer's Row False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    I'm not "aligned politically" with anyone, but it strikes me that you'd continue to play devil's advocate and attempt to catch people in minor contradictions/enforce meaningless logical consistency while the world burns around you. Team checks and balances is losing right now.

    The Loretta Lynch meeting does look like some form of corruption. Of course, that one years-old instance of corruption by private citizens is being topped essentially daily by the current president, who has declared that he can interfere with criminal investigations (especially those of his friends, of course) whenever he wants.

    Ad hominem attacks like "sheep grazing" align you rhetorically, if not politically, with certain politicians (and their zealous followers). Not sure what your insult and sneering emojis add.
    This implies I'm ignoring all other events. I mean, I agreed with your bolded words above in just about every post on this discussion. I wish people would actually try to grasp the context versus just presuming I'm some Trump shill because I took up a topic that someone else surfaced.

    I've been ad-hominem-ed to death around here, sometimes directly and sometimes passive-aggressively, as was done here when it was implied that "one poster" is deflecting as if I'm some MAGA hat wearing Trump apologist.

  4. #48929
    New Murderer's Row False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Who cares who brought it up? The end result is the same. Trump has been pres for three years and this thread is about him but if the conversation goes long enough, it always comes back to a Clinton. It wasn't personal. Unlike most of your posts.
    Because the poster that opened this line of discussion directed his comment at me, personally. And of course, the regular parties had to pile on. And let's not act like you don't get personal up in here.

    John and I were having a conversation. I assume that's still ok around here? Is there a checklist I need to review prior to responding to someone else's comments? Can we pin it somewhere? I definitely do NOT want to be responsible for Trump getting away with corrupt actions because I veered off the preferred list of topics here.

  5. #48930

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Barr's comments yesterday have been reported as him telling the president not to interfere with DOJ, trying to address morale there, sticking up for the principle of independence, and so on. I don't know - I read it, and it just sounds to me like Barr saying, "Stop worrying so much. I got this."
    Charlie Savage@charlie_savage
    SCOOP: Barr installed a team of outside prosecutors, including from St. Louis, to go into the office of the US attorney for DC & review the work of line attorneys handling political sensitive cases -- including vs Michael Flynn
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/14/us/politics/michael-flynn-prosecutors-barr.html
    Mmmhmm.
    Take car. Go to Mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

  6. #48931

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Because the poster that opened this line of discussion directed his comment at me, personally. And of course, the regular parties had to pile on. And let's not act like you don't get personal up in here.
    Well that's not true but whatev.
    Take car. Go to Mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

  7. #48932
    New Murderer's Row False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Well that's not true but whatev.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    What's humorous is that all this talk about Lynch seems like a deflecting attempt by one poster not to discuss the open corruption being executed by our current AG and POTUS in real time
    Ahem.

  8. #48933

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Ahem.
    My apologies. I thought you meant the conversation that went to Clinton since that is what I was talking about.
    Take car. Go to Mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

  9. #48934
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Turn my headphones up

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    This implies I'm ignoring all other events. I mean, I agreed with your bolded words above in just about every post on this discussion. I wish people would actually try to grasp the context versus just presuming I'm some Trump shill because I took up a topic that someone else surfaced.

    I've been ad-hominem-ed to death around here, sometimes directly and sometimes passive-aggressively, as was done here when it was implied that "one poster" is deflecting as if I'm some MAGA hat wearing Trump apologist.
    I don't think anyone thinks you're a Trump shill. You're just trying to evenly referee a contest (i hate that it's a contest with 2 teams, but whatever, that seems to be human nature) where 1 side is fouling and the other side is stabbing people while burning the rulebook. It's a waste of energy.

    None of the posts you responded to were personal insults (you snowflake). I'm just tired of seeing Americans openly mocking each other I guess.

  10. #48935
    Hope is eternal
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: President Donald Trump

    The frustrating thing is that some think this is a “right vs left” or “conservative vs liberal” issue. And the fact is if you think this, we aren’t even talking about the same thing.
    anyone but Trump

  11. #48936
    NYYF Cy Young

    Tyler Durden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The CT/MA Border, aka Pink Sox Territory

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    The frustrating thing is that some think this is a “right vs left” or “conservative vs liberal” issue. And the fact is if you think this, we aren’t even talking about the same thing.
    Yep. Corruption in any form should always be a bi-partisan issue.
    Stay "We" my friends

  12. #48937
    NYYF Legend

    theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Basking Ridge, NJ

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Well, now that we have hashed this out to the limit of the available evidence, I am happy to return to our regularly-scheduled Trump bashing.

    The real mystery to me is how does he maintain that 43% base? Gun nuts, anti-abortion nuts, racists, ok. Is that really 43%? Add the 1% and a few more for wannabees, does that get us to 43?

    There are two answers. One is lousy marketing by the dems and overarching fear about what they might do. Obama is still popular, so it's not about what they DID do. The economy is the other answer, and Trump only can take credit due to the immense deficits, and eventually that bites you in the rear.

    At some point, as the unhinging becomes more blatant, that 43% has to erode. It's way overdue. We really need to see it go below 40% to have a real hope of defeating him, given the weakness of the Democratic field and the structural advantages for the Trumpist coalition.

    To win, the Ds need to up their game, or the economy has to falter. Preferably both.

    And yes, John, two lawyers of that caliber can comfortably talk in code that any mobster would envy and safely transmit a corrupt message. Neither exposed themselves to any risk even were a recording to leak. (Sorry, could not resist. Did you know if you say lawyer with a French accent it comes out 'liar'?)
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  13. #48938
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Well, now that we have hashed this out to the limit of the available evidence, I am happy to return to our regularly-scheduled Trump bashing.

    The real mystery to me is how does he maintain that 43% base? Gun nuts, anti-abortion nuts, racists, ok. Is that really 43%? Add the 1% and a few more for wannabees, does that get us to 43?

    There are two answers. One is lousy marketing by the dems and overarching fear about what they might do. Obama is still popular, so it's not about what they DID do. The economy is the other answer, and Trump only can take credit due to the immense deficits, and eventually that bites you in the rear.

    At some point, as the unhinging becomes more blatant, that 43% has to erode. It's way overdue. We really need to see it go below 40% to have a real hope of defeating him, given the weakness of the Democratic field and the structural advantages for the Trumpist coalition.

    To win, the Ds need to up their game, or the economy has to falter. Preferably both.

    And yes, John, two lawyers of that caliber can comfortably talk in code that any mobster would envy and safely transmit a corrupt message. Neither exposed themselves to any risk even were a recording to leak. (Sorry, could not resist. Did you know if you say lawyer with a French accent it comes out 'liar'?)
    It comes out that way in English, too. (Although my father was and my brother is
    so honest that I think they’re both embarrassments to the profession.)

  14. #48939
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Well, now that we have hashed this out to the limit of the available evidence, I am happy to return to our regularly-scheduled Trump bashing.

    The real mystery to me is how does he maintain that 43% base? Gun nuts, anti-abortion nuts, racists, ok. Is that really 43%? Add the 1% and a few more for wannabees, does that get us to 43?

    There are two answers. One is lousy marketing by the dems and overarching fear about what they might do. Obama is still popular, so it's not about what they DID do. The economy is the other answer, and Trump only can take credit due to the immense deficits, and eventually that bites you in the rear.

    At some point, as the unhinging becomes more blatant, that 43% has to erode. It's way overdue. We really need to see it go below 40% to have a real hope of defeating him, given the weakness of the Democratic field and the structural advantages for the Trumpist coalition.

    To win, the Ds need to up their game, or the economy has to falter. Preferably both.

    And yes, John, two lawyers of that caliber can comfortably talk in code that any mobster would envy and safely transmit a corrupt message. Neither exposed themselves to any risk even were a recording to leak. (Sorry, could not resist. Did you know if you say lawyer with a French accent it comes out 'liar'?)
    It comes out that way in English, too. (Although my father was and my brother is so honest that I think they’re both embarrassments to the profession.)

  15. #48940
    New Murderer's Row False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    I don't think anyone thinks you're a Trump shill. You're just trying to evenly referee a contest (i hate that it's a contest with 2 teams, but whatever, that seems to be human nature) where 1 side is fouling and the other side is stabbing people while burning the rulebook. It's a waste of energy.

    None of the posts you responded to were personal insults (you snowflake). I'm just tired of seeing Americans openly mocking each other I guess.
    Literally LOL'd at the bolded.

    And I hear you on your last point. The irony is that is what I'm talking about. I can't stand R's that are watching what's happening and blowing it off because the subject of the inquiry is in their current party of preference. I hate that D's blew off stuff that went on in the prior administration and the almost-prior administration. It's maddening to me. The reason I'm commenting on one and not the other is because in this audience no one is arguing (seriously, anyway) that Trump's actions should be blown off.

  16. #48941
    New Murderer's Row False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Well, now that we have hashed this out to the limit of the available evidence, I am happy to return to our regularly-scheduled Trump bashing.

    The real mystery to me is how does he maintain that 43% base? Gun nuts, anti-abortion nuts, racists, ok. Is that really 43%? Add the 1% and a few more for wannabees, does that get us to 43?

    There are two answers. One is lousy marketing by the dems and overarching fear about what they might do. Obama is still popular, so it's not about what they DID do. The economy is the other answer, and Trump only can take credit due to the immense deficits, and eventually that bites you in the rear.

    At some point, as the unhinging becomes more blatant, that 43% has to erode. It's way overdue. We really need to see it go below 40% to have a real hope of defeating him, given the weakness of the Democratic field and the structural advantages for the Trumpist coalition.

    To win, the Ds need to up their game, or the economy has to falter. Preferably both.

    And yes, John, two lawyers of that caliber can comfortably talk in code that any mobster would envy and safely transmit a corrupt message. Neither exposed themselves to any risk even were a recording to leak. (Sorry, could not resist. Did you know if you say lawyer with a French accent it comes out 'liar'?)
    I think the bolded is the answer to your question, with emphasis on your stated appropriate caveat. I know people like to think anyone approving of Trump's "performance" is a card-carrying member of one or more -ism clubs, but honestly I think his policies are providing significant short-term impacts that a large number of people can see and feel. The problem is, those people either cannot see or perhaps blind themselves to is that while some sort of tax reform and deregulation was probably warranted, the extent and manner in which they were done here isn't viable or healthy long term. There will be a correction, and if the D's win in 2020 they'll probably unfairly shoulder the blame for it when it happens. R's will certainly try to frame it that way.

  17. #48942
    Not fooling anyone. Soriambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I think the bolded is the answer to your question, with emphasis on your stated appropriate caveat. I know people like to think anyone approving of Trump's "performance" is a card-carrying member of one or more -ism clubs, but honestly I think his policies are providing significant short-term impacts that a large number of people can see and feel. The problem is, those people either cannot see or perhaps blind themselves to is that while some sort of tax reform and deregulation was probably warranted, the extent and manner in which they were done here isn't viable or healthy long term. There will be a correction, and if the D's win in 2020 they'll probably unfairly shoulder the blame for it when it happens. R's will certainly try to frame it that way.
    I think there's a third option, which is that maybe there is 43% that's just gone. That one's probably the scariest, but I'm beginning to wonder if it's not so.
    -Kevin

    "My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan


    "I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

    RIP, Pete.

  18. #48943

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    I think there's a third option, which is that maybe there is 43% that's just gone. That one's probably the scariest, but I'm beginning to wonder if it's not so.
    I'm pretty sure that's the case at this point. I wish it weren't so.
    Last edited by jlw1980; Yesterday at 09:17 AM.

  19. #48944

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I think the bolded is the answer to your question, with emphasis on your stated appropriate caveat. I know people like to think anyone approving of Trump's "performance" is a card-carrying member of one or more -ism clubs, but honestly I think his policies are providing significant short-term impacts that a large number of people can see and feel. The problem is, those people either cannot see or perhaps blind themselves to is that while some sort of tax reform and deregulation was probably warranted, the extent and manner in which they were done here isn't viable or healthy long term. There will be a correction, and if the D's win in 2020 they'll probably unfairly shoulder the blame for it when it happens. R's will certainly try to frame it that way.
    Let's not misrepresent. Trump is a racist. That is an indisputable fact no matter how many pretzels some will twist themselves into to deny it. If you are still supporting him (and by supporting I mean voting for him) either you are okay with the racism or you are willing to overlook it as long as you are getting yours. That last part is an important caveat that you neglected to add.

    This country was founded and built on racism. Every president has supported racist policy to some degree without exception. Racism is so embedded our government that it is going to take a long long time to clear it out if ever at all. But Trump's policies are a different kind of racism. They are racist by design. Racism is the point. He is Andrew Johnson and George Wallace in a 21st century package. If you are knowingly supporting racist policies in 2020, you can stand on the mountaintop and scream that you are not a racist or you can Susan Collins it and tell us how you are troubled and concerned by it but vote for him anyway but the only person you are fooling is yourself. Someone in 1968 saying "I don't really like the way Wallace treats the negroes but I'm going to vote for him because I think he'll improve the economy" is laughable. Supporting Trump is no different.
    Take car. Go to Mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

  20. #48945
    Hope is eternal
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Let's not misrepresent. Trump is a racist. That is an indisputable fact no matter how many pretzels some will twist themselves into to deny it. If you are still supporting him (and by supporting I mean voting for him) either you are okay with the racism or you are willing to overlook it as long as you are getting yours. That last part is an important caveat that you neglected to add.

    This country was founded and built on racism. Every president has supported racist policy to some degree without exception. Racism is so embedded our government that it is going to take a long long time to clear it out if ever at all. But Trump's policies are a different kind of racism. They are racist by design. Racism is the point. He is Andrew Johnson and George Wallace in a 21st century package. If you are knowingly supporting racist policies in 2020, you can stand on the mountaintop and scream that you are not a racist or you can Susan Collins it and tell us how you are troubled and concerned by it but vote for him anyway but the only person you are fooling is yourself. Someone in 1968 saying "I don't really like the way Wallace treats the negroes but I'm going to vote for him because I think he'll improve the economy" is laughable. Supporting Trump is no different.
    I have had multiple people when discussing Trump ask me how my 401K was doing. Implying that is reason enough (despite the fact only 55% of adults in the US have a 401K or any stock period) to support him. Sorry I am not one of those “I got mine, screw everyone else” Trumpers
    anyone but Trump

  21. #48946
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    I have had multiple people when discussing Trump ask me how my 401K was doing. Implying that is reason enough (despite the fact only 55% of adults in the US have a 401K or any stock period) to support him. Sorry I am not one of those “I got mine, screw everyone else” Trumpers
    I hear that a lot too. Usually from people in their 60s. Classic boomers.

    I understand their happiness at the market going up as they approach retirement, but to some of us, the economy is more than the DJIA and there's more to my vote than the next quarter's earnings call. I care about the next 50 years. 20% returns this year are not worth 2ft rise in sea levels in 10 years to me. 20% returns this year are not worth 20 years of diminished American leadership in the world.

  22. #48947
    Hope is eternal
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    I hear that a lot too. Usually from people in their 60s. Classic boomers.

    I understand their happiness at the market going up as they approach retirement, but to some of us, the economy is more than the DJIA and there's more to my vote than the next quarter's earnings call. I care about the next 50 years. 20% returns this year are not worth 2ft rise in sea levels in 10 years to me. 20% returns this year are not worth 20 years of diminished American leadership in the world.
    Yup the stock market is a horrible measure to use to say how the economy is doing. People doing this are basically saying the bottom half don’t matter.
    anyone but Trump

  23. #48948

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Let's not misrepresent. Trump is a racist. That is an indisputable fact no matter how many pretzels some will twist themselves into to deny it. If you are still supporting him (and by supporting I mean voting for him) either you are okay with the racism or you are willing to overlook it as long as you are getting yours. That last part is an important caveat that you neglected to add.

    This country was founded and built on racism. Every president has supported racist policy to some degree without exception. Racism is so embedded our government that it is going to take a long long time to clear it out if ever at all. But Trump's policies are a different kind of racism. They are racist by design. Racism is the point. He is Andrew Johnson and George Wallace in a 21st century package. If you are knowingly supporting racist policies in 2020, you can stand on the mountaintop and scream that you are not a racist or you can Susan Collins it and tell us how you are troubled and concerned by it but vote for him anyway but the only person you are fooling is yourself. Someone in 1968 saying "I don't really like the way Wallace treats the negroes but I'm going to vote for him because I think he'll improve the economy" is laughable. Supporting Trump is no different.
    I love how you used "Susan Collins" as a verb. Excellent post.

  24. #48949
    NYYF Legend

    ojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada's basement

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    I think there's a third option, which is that maybe there is 43% that's just gone. That one's probably the scariest, but I'm beginning to wonder if it's not so.
    If certain segments of the media dealt in a fair representation of the facts, that # would be in the teens, and he’d probably be removed from office.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

  25. #48950
    NYYF Cy Young

    Tyler Durden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The CT/MA Border, aka Pink Sox Territory

    Re: President Donald Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Yup the stock market is a horrible measure to use to say how the economy is doing. People doing this are basically saying the bottom half don’t matter.
    Notice how it's never anyone who works at McDonald's or drives for Uber who says this, either.
    Stay "We" my friends

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 9 users browsing this thread. (4 members and 5 guests)

  1. theDurk
  2. Bub
  3. DrNick

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts