Closed Thread
Page 2270 of 2277 FirstFirst ... 1270 1770 2170 2220 2260 2267 2268 2269 2270 2271 2272 2273 ... LastLast
Results 56,726 to 56,750 of 56925

Re: President Donald Trump

Trump's latest hostage video:

https://mobile.twitter.com/WhiteHous...92130578919425

My favorite response:
    Three Year Letterman@3YearLetterman
    Replying to @WhiteHouse

Andrew Jackson addressed the country from that exact same room after his second impeachment, and he prevailed

6:13 PM ∑ Jan 13, 2021
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow
    Person, woman, man, camera, TV

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    Trump refusing to pay Rudy's legal bills is maybe the most predictable thing to come out of the last four years.
    I don't know, from the same WaPo story it says he's lashing out at and blaming everyone else for his current situation while taking no responsibility for it. That's predictably Trump, too.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Trump refusing to pay Rudy's legal bills is maybe the most predictable thing to come out of the last four years.
    Trump's ethics are lower than those of a Mafioso. I'm pretty sure the Mafia paid their legal bills.
    Polite Red Sox fan

Heís going to stiff Rudy, then pardon him.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Heís going to stiff Rudy, then pardon him.
    That's probably worth more than the work he delivered on the legal side

Will Trump try to pardon himself?
    Polite Red Sox fan

Death Star Fully Operational

Quote Originally Posted by HfxBob View Post
    Will Trump try to pardon himself?
    I hope he does because itís an admission of guilt and it will be struck down by the courts.
    NYYFANS: Cashman/persona non-grata

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I hope he does because itís an admission of guilt and it will be struck down by the courts.
    A pardon is not an admission of guilt. He would call it protection against wrongful and malicious prosecution.

However, it would provide an enormous incentive for DOJ to charge him in order to test the pardon in the courts. What SCOTUS would do isnít clear-cut.

A pardon is not an admission of guilt. He would call it protection against wrongful and malicious prosecution.

However, it would provide an enormous incentive for DOJ to charge him in order to test the pardon in the courts. What SCOTUS would do isnít clear-cut.
    He can call it anything he wants to, but itís an admission of guilt to the majority of people.

He can call it anything he wants to, but itís an admission of guilt to the majority of people.
    I could be wrong, but I think heís more worried about actual prosecution than reputation.

I could be wrong, but I think heís more worried about actual prosecution than reputation.
    Hell, I'm not arguing that point! He's deathly afraid of prosecution which is why he's going to try this last desperate move that will be struck down by the courts because it goes beyond just Trump with a precedent that any POTUS is above the law. That's a slippery slope that I can't see the courts allowing to happen now and in the future.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I thought they went too slow the first time getting the articles to the senate. This time I don't see the urgency. It was important to impeach him because he is still in office and the message needs to be sent. There are constitutional issues surrounding whether or not they could impeach after he leaves office so there was a reason to move on it quickly. Since Mitch has already said the current senate is not coming back to deal with it, why not wait? Isn't it more important to get the Biden administration up and running so they can get to work on the pandemic and the economy then deal with the stink of the previous administration when it won't actually be interfering with the federal government at work? I don't get your reasoning.
    It also gives them more time to build a case. More information is coming out daily about what went down last Wednesday and who was involved.

I'm more angry that Mitch isn't holding hearings for any cabinet members ahead of the inauguration once again gumming up the works for no reason other than to put Biden behind the 8 ball, nation be damned. The ((illegally(acting)) secretary of Homeland Security resigned the same day as reports of additional armed protests/terror marches on inauguration day all over the country and Mitch can't even hold a hearing for Biden's nominee? These people need to be in place and at work on 1/20 at noon. It's national security.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...33d_story.html

Trump has instructed aides not to pay Giulianiís legal fees, two officials said, and has demanded that he personally approve any reimbursements for the expenses Giuliani incurred while traveling on the presidentís behalf to challenge election results in key states. They said Trump has privately expressed concern with some of Giulianiís moves and did not appreciate a demand from Giuliani for $20,000 a day in fees for his work attempting to overturn the election.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I could be wrong, but I think he’s more worried about actual prosecution than reputation.
    I read something somewhere that White House council Pat Cipollone told Trump a pardon will make Trump more vulnerable to future civil lawsuits. I don't understand the legalese in all this, but that's what I saw. And Trump wasn't happy about that.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Ooooh. Force McConnell to do something he's said he won't do because reasons.
    You impeach the President of the United States for inciting insurrection. The Majority Leader says he's not going to reconvene the Senate immediately to consider the impeachment. You don't think the Democratic Party can't force McConnell's hand? He's single-handedly allowing a POTUS, accused of complicity in an attack against the government, to go unchecked. That "something he said he won't do" can be evaporated in a single news cycle. And should be.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    You impeach the President of the United States for inciting insurrection. The Majority Leader says he's not going to reconvene the Senate immediately to consider the impeachment. You don't think the Democratic Party can't force McConnell's hand? He's single-handedly allowing a POTUS, accused of complicity in an attack against the government, to go unchecked. That "something he said he won't do" can be evaporated in a single news cycle. And should be.
    And when, in the past 30 years has Mitch McConnell done something that wasn't politically expedient and in his own best interest? He has no scruples/morals/shame. He just won re-election. An angry call from Schumer isn't going to make him do something. How exactly do you force him to do this?

And not for nothing, but it seems like Georgia is using the full extent of their certification deadlines to keep McConnell in power as long as they can.

Hell, I'm not arguing that point! He's deathly afraid of prosecution which is why he's going to try this last desperate move that will be struck down by the courts because it goes beyond just Trump with a precedent that any POTUS is above the law. That's a slippery slope that I can't see the courts allowing to happen now and in the future.
    I think a President can probably pardon themselves, but I wonder if he does it, if it'll make conviction in the Senate more likely.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
    And not for nothing, but it seems like Georgia is using the full extent of their certification deadlines to keep McConnell in power as long as they can.
    Well, I assume it can't switch until 1/20 anyway since Pence would still be breaking the tie until then.

What even happens in a 50-50 vote for a leadership position if the VP spot is vacant? Obviously it won't be here but was just wondering that. I guess they keep voting until someone wins?
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

NYYF Legend

Wonder if anyone has a picture of Trump receiving a BJ from an intern. That might get the Republicans to care. Inciting an insurrection? No big deal.

Well, I assume it can't switch until 1/20 anyway since Pence would still be breaking the tie until then.

What even happens in a 50-50 vote for a leadership position if the VP spot is vacant? Obviously it won't be here but was just wondering that. I guess they keep voting until someone wins?
    Good point re: Pence.

I remember a few years back the NJ state senate was tied with no tiebreaker, so the GOP and Democratic leaders were co-president of the senate for a couple of years. I can't imagine having co-majority leaders in the US Senate would work in 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    And when, in the past 30 years has Mitch McConnell done something that wasn't politically expedient and in his own best interest? He has no scruples/morals/shame. He just won re-election. An angry call from Schumer isn't going to make him do something. How exactly do you force him to do this?
    A call from Schumer? Certainly not. 24-hour news coverage, emphasizing inaction in the face of insurrection? Different story.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

A call from Schumer? Certainly not. 24-hour news coverage, emphasizing inaction in the face of insurrection? Different story.
    You think he cares about looking callous and two-faced on TV?

Fantasy stuff. I don't think you even believe half of what you write anymore

Two Americas - exhibit 29,937

Camp Auschwitz hoodie guy released on personal recognizance.

Meanwhile:
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...e-prison-paint

Utah BLM protesters could get life in prison for splashing paint

Thread Information