+ Reply to Thread
Page 1580 of 1590 FirstFirst ... 580 1080 1480 1530 1570 1577 1578 1579 1580 1581 1582 1583 ... LastLast
Results 39,476 to 39,500 of 39731

Re: President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    For a different take, let's turn to Kellyanne's husband, George.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/08/o...itutional.html
    I think a lot of people would disagree with George on this one. If they can find someone with standing (I have no idea who that would be) and go to court, it would almost certainly become moot before the appeals were decided.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Another aspect of Trump's firing-without-firing is that it can be used as another piece in the obstruction of justice argument. Just because he has the absolute power to fire people doesn't mean he can't abuse that power by using it to serve his own personal purposes and obstruct justice.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other...hes/ar-BBPumYI

Neil Young upset Trump keeps using Rockin' In The Free World at his rallies.

I'm not sure Trump has any idea what they words to that song are beyond the chorus.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other...hes/ar-BBPumYI

Neil Young upset Trump keeps using Rockin' In The Free World at his rallies.

I'm not sure Trump has any idea what they words to that song are beyond the chorus.

It doesn't matter if he knows or not. He'd just lie anyway.
    "Forget the myths the media created about the White House. The truth is, these aren't very bright guys, and things got out of hand." RIP William Goldman

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Trade wars are good, and easy to win.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.1f482313398f
    Trump’s tariffs squeezed Canada. Now American beer is feeling the pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I'm still hoping we are able to dodge the caravan.
    I see what you did there.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Only what you said about yourself - you took a generous candy tax from your children (entirely for their protection, of course) and made short work of it (or a sizable quantity of it). Snack-shaming, nothing more.
    Hmmm. I guess I believe you. This time.
    I am not free while any woman is unfree, even when her shackles are very different from my own.

--Audre Lorde

Hope is eternal

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1060673958524149765?s=21

ABC News reporting Mueller is beginning preparation of final report from his investigation
    Trading insults is a waste of time. Persuade why someone should see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    Thanks for documenting your source.

So, am I supposed to take Ryan Saavedraís word for it? Not exactly an objective source. Man with an agenda.

I watched many of the presidential debates during the campaign - both the Republican primary and the presidential debates. I found the moderatorsí failures to put a stop to Trumpís constant interruptions especially frustrating. I found Trumpís juvenile name calling to be beyond the pale. He should have been thrown off the stage for repeated violations of the pre-agreed upon rules.

For Trump to call Acosta rude and a terrible person for doing something much milder than what Trump himself has done repeatedly over the past 2-3 years is beyond the pot calling the kettle black. Trump has simply revealed himself as thin skinned and unskilled at dealing with reporters.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Thanks for documenting your source.

So, am I supposed to take Ryan Saavedraís word for it? Not exactly an objective source. Man with an agenda.

I watched many of the presidential debates during the campaign - both the Republican primary and the presidential debates. I found the moderatorsí failures to put a stop to Trumpís constant interruptions especially frustrating. I found Trumpís juvenile name calling to be beyond the pale. He should have been thrown off the stage for repeated violations of the pre-agreed upon rules.

For Trump to call Acosta rude and a terrible person for doing something much milder than what Trump himself has done repeatedly over the past 2-3 years is beyond the pot calling the kettle black. Trump has simply revealed himself as thin skinned and unskilled at dealing with reporters.
    The Videos are my source. Not his opinion on them. Its up to the viewer of the videos he posted to determine whether he has been a disruption.

Trump should stop attacking the press. Is their reporting of facts questionable yes, as is FOX News and MSNBC. But I still think he should stop.
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

For a different take, let's turn to Kellyanne's husband, George.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/08/o...itutional.html
    George’s point that the Constitution’s Appointments Clause requiring the Senate’s advice and consent is an excellent one. It’s one thing to move someone who has previously been reviewed by the Senate for another position as Trump has done repeatedly with a number of Cabinet positions. But it’s something else to appoint someone who has never been reviewed by the Senate regarding his/her fitness to serve for any position. That’s not what the Constitution intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Georgeís point that the Constitutionís Appointments Clause requiring the Senateís advice and consent is an excellent one. Itís one thing to move someone who has previously been reviewed by the Senate for another position as Trump has done repeatedly with a number of Cabinet positions. But itís something else to appoint someone who has never been reviewed by the Senate regarding his/her fitness to serve for any position. Thatís not what the Constitution intended.
    The appointment is still in accordance with the law; the question is whether the Federal Vacancies Reform Act is constitutional. As I said before, any challenge to that would be difficult to mount (maybe Senate Democrats would have standing?), and it would probably become moot before it was decided.

Edit - after posting that, I ran across this piece that argues that the appointment is illegal under the Federal Vacancies Reform Act: https://shugerblog.com/2018/11/09/wh...mpression=true. I donít really know how strong the argument is - it sounds good to me - but even if itís a slam-dunk, the problems of challenging the appointment are the same.

NYYF Legend

Rumors are that Mueller has wrapped up his investigation and is in the process of writing the final report. It seems too late for trump to stop the investigation at this last date; it appears to be over. To interfere at this point is pointless, and would certainly be viewed by many as obstruction of Justice.

He would be well advised to let sleeping dogs lie. My advice to him would be to take a vacation. I am sure that Vladimir has an opulent Dacha for him to spend a few weeks at.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Loud, patriotic, military loving (except Muslim gold star parents, and Senators who were POWS), President sides with the Sudan over families of those killed in the US Cole attack.

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/08/66540...ors-in-lawsuit

Eighteen years ago, Lorrie Triplett's husband, Ensign Andrew Triplett, rode off on his bike to board the destroyer USS Cole, heading for the Persian Gulf. It was the last time she would see him. On Wednesday, she sat in the U.S. Supreme Court and "really wanted to scream."

Her husband was among 17 killed in 2000 when al-Qaida suicide bombers in a small boat attacked the Cole while it was refueling in a harbor in Yemen. Dozens more men and women were injured. They and the families of the dead sued the government of Sudan for allegedly providing material support for the attack.

Their path for this and similar suits has been long and difficult, and now, to the consternation of the victims and veterans groups, the Trump administration is siding with Sudan, long designated a state sponsor of terrorism.

The administration argues that the $315 million in damages awarded to the victims in the case cannot stand. The legal question is one that only a lawyer could love, but not the people whose lives have been affected. The question is whether the notification of the lawsuit was sent to the wrong address.
    The men who stood next to Triplett were angry. "Our own country, siding with the country that harbors terrorists," said David Matthew Morales, who was injured on the Cole. "It was very hurtful," he added, pulling a small piece of metal out of his pocket. It was from the hull of the Cole, and he carries it with him everywhere.

"We came here for accountability, and we wouldn't expect our government to oppose its citizens receiving justice and holding those accountable for a terrorist attack," said Jamal Gunn, whose brother was killed on the Cole.

"Our country should stand behind their soldiers and sailors that's out there every day putting their life on the line for the country," said Rick Harrison, a firefighter and machinist injured on the Cole.

"You can look at 9/11. They got justice. ... So why can't the USS Cole get justice?" asked David Francis, whose sister was killed on the Cole.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Loud, patriotic, military loving (except Muslim gold star parents, and Senators who were POWS), President sides with the Sudan over families of those killed in the US Cole attack.

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/08/66540...ors-in-lawsuit

I don't know. The legal argument is more complex than that. I have to read more on this one but I don't think it's as simple as "Trump sides with Sudan over military families".
    "Forget the myths the media created about the White House. The truth is, these aren't very bright guys, and things got out of hand." RIP William Goldman

I don't know. The legal argument is more complex than that. I have to read more on this one but I don't think it's as simple as "Trump sides with Sudan over military families".
    Their argument is that if you can issue summons to an embassy, that would open the doors for American embassies to receive countless silly summons. Seems like there's a way to solve that problem that doesn't involve the optics of dead sailors' families being hung out to dry.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    Rumors are that Mueller has wrapped up his investigation and is in the process of writing the final report. It seems too late for trump to stop the investigation at this last date; it appears to be over. To interfere at this point is pointless, and would certainly be viewed by many as obstruction of Justice.

He would be well advised to let sleeping dogs lie. My advice to him would be to take a vacation. I am sure that Vladimir has an opulent Dacha for him to spend a few weeks at.

Andy
    The DOJ under Whitaker could refuse to release the final report.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post

Wouldn't that be nice. I can just hear the uproar from here.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Their argument is that if you can issue summons to an embassy, that would open the doors for American embassies to receive countless silly summons. Seems like there's a way to solve that problem that doesn't involve the optics of dead sailors' families being hung out to dry.
    Yes the argument regarding where the summons was addressed is more than a little odd. However, Lorrie Triplett is receiving the same survivor benefit as the spouse of any other serviceman killed in the line of duty. She's hardly being "hung out to dry."

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
    You mean Whitaker, the guy Trump is already claiming to not know?

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1060906776609153024
    Extended quote: "Well Matt Whitaker, I don't know Matt Whitaker. Matt Whitaker worked for Jeff Sessions. And he was always extremely highly thought of, and he still is. But I didn't know Matt Whitaker. He worked for Attorney General Sessions."
    As someone on twitter said "Mueller's gonna have to release his report via Medium post."

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Yes the argument regarding where the summons was addressed is more than a little odd. However, Lorrie Triplett is receiving the same survivor benefit as the spouse of any other serviceman killed in the line of duty. She's hardly being "hung out to dry."
    She's receiving survivor's benefits but her government is arguing against her getting compensation from the perpetrators of the attack because of a really silly legal argument. How is that OK?

Whoever made this is my new hero.

Okay my legal minded friends. Explain this to me please. Use small words. Thank you.

Neal Katyal‏Verified account @neal_katyal
    Wow. The Court of Appeals, in a case challenging Mueller, now orders briefing on impact of the Sessions firing & installation of Whittaker. It is possible for parties to take the view that his boss is the legitimate Rosenstein, not the pretend-Attorney General Trump wants to have

Evan Vucci‏Verified account @evanvucci

QUESTION (from @abbydphillip): Do you want acting AG Matt Whitaker to rein in Mueller?

TRUMP: ďWhat a stupid question that is. What a stupid question. But I watch you a lot, you ask a lot of stupid questions."
    Good grief. What a horrible little man he is.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

This is a good Tweet thread by Seth Abramson:

(THREAD) The Whitaker scandal is deepening, as it becomes clear that Sessions' Russia recusal was a coordinated sham and his firing an act of obstructionóand that his replacement is a White House plant inside the Mueller probe. I hope you'll retweet and read on for more details.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

NYYF Legend

He has small hands and a small mind to go with it.

Andy

It probably upsets him greatly that he can't have reporters taken out back and shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by DEADSOX
    We won, stop bitching. Bitches.
    This Administration reminds me of Reservoir Dogs...Evil white guys in suits, few roles for women and Mr. Orange lies through the whole thing.

Thread Information